Old 12-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Smile New Member

Howdy,
I thought I would type a more complete story here, as this is how I am approaching my weight loss.

I have successfully done WW twice (life time member with key), SB, and most recently NoS. Each of these methods has some good to them but with all of them, I never learned the essential fact of weight loss, which is less calories than one burns equals weight loss.

Calorie counters seemed to be carrot eaters and obsessive, so WW & SB approach seemed less strident. Then three incidents occured which got me to change this deep seated opinion, one was constant posting on NoS about one's personal calorie burn, two a friend mentioned that some food item would take 1/3 of his calories. I didn't know the caloric content of foods individually, just as a class, and I certainly had never calculated my calorie burn. In fact, I didn't even know where to look.

After following NoS for over a year, and without weighing periodically, and just using the feel of my clothes as a guide, I got tired of my clothes getting tighter, so I got the scale out. I was totally shocked that I had gained 10# (instead of losing). About at the same time, I had bought an iTouch and was getting used to how apps work, found Nutrition Menu, I couldn't use Diet Power as I have Mac/and Linux operating system.

It was so easy to log my food and find caloric values including Custom Foods. Oct 6, 2009 is my first log of calories in a hotel breakfast area using their Wifi.

So I have learned several lessons the hard way.
1. Weight loss is a calorie deficiency, in fact 3500 cal=1 pound (either way)
2. Daily weighing is essential. The scale is an objective reporter of fact. I need to see how my body has daily fluctuations. Also weighing daily gives me much quicker feedback on if my calorie limit is accurate.
3. I am responsible for my own success. I am very embarrassed I listened to such opinions for so long. I hold only myself responsible for the gain. I also wonder about my inability to see this underlying reason for success on WW & SB.
4. Profoundly grateful for others posting, sometimes against strong negativity, to this fundamental truth.

Karen
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #2  

Smile

Reviewing old data, I wondered when was the last time I weighed 180- it was over 2 years ago, October 2007. Two very stressful but good things occured that year- building our new home after 2 years of planning, rent house, and moving, and the marriage of our first daughter with future SIL in Iraq. I regained my SB loss during this time. I was at 185# when I first found SB in April 2008. I didn't register then. That was later.

In two months, I have lost the weight I have been struggling with for two years. Thank goodness I still have my good health to help me in my loss. I also have a steely confidence in my plan.

158 is my goal from WW for my height. This will be reconsidered based on my caloric burn. At present, I consider that a maximum limit.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #3  

I have never binged, never got up in the middle of the night for a bite, never did the obvious things to gain weight, didn't snack on chips, ate whole foods (SB), etc.... I eat very little process foods. I gained because I did not learn the fundamental truth that 3500 calories equals 1 pound, regardless of the plan. I have learned this lesson, and I have positive results to show for it. Results I haven't seen in nearly 2 years!