Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #1  

Default 3 months, 16 lbs lost, using the KISS method

I just wanted to post that today marks three months since I started on my program. Sunday mornings are weigh-ins, and as of this morning I have lost exactly 16 lbs.

After many false starts over the last 7 to 8 years, I finally decided to approach weight loss using the KISS method. Food plan - calorie counting. Exercise plan - walking. And this has worked for me.

I am recording my food intake and exercise daily on myfooddiary.com - this is probably the most significant difference from previous weight loss attempts.

Unlike in the past, I don't obsess over those days that I eat more than I feel I should. I can honestly say that I haven't binged once, but I have had a few days that I certainly ate more calories than I burned that day. And during this time I have taken two trips -a week long one in October and a four-day trip to Savannah for Thanksgiving. During those trips I did not count calories; I simply ate what I felt was adequate to maintain my current weight. (I also was not able to take part in my normal walking routine on these trips but did do a fair amount of walking on both, particularly in Savannah).

I mention the trips specifically because in the past these events would have wreaked havoc on any DIET that I would have placed myself on. By never thinking of my eating plan as a diet but rather as a lifestyle routine I think I have at long last broken the vicious cycle of weight loss/gain I have so often experienced in the past. I now am able to deal with events that would have previously been considered obstacles in my way rather than the pleasant experiences they are intended to be. And most importantly, I am able to get right back into the routine of tracking my calories and resuming my normal exercise regime when I return home.

Please understand that my purpose for posting this is not to brag but rather to offer help and support to others, particularly at this difficult time of year. It really is possible to do this, as long as you realize that you need to take it one day at a time. Go with the flow; allow yourself some flexibility in whatever program you choose, and most importantly, don't get down on yourself on those days you just don't quite measure up to your own ideas of perfection.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/135

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Why not brag? You are doing excellent and you deserve the kudos.
Carly Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings to 'Bama from Florida!

Congratulations on your KISS plan and your progress!!! Tracking foods and regular exercise was the key for me, too. It makes a LOT of difference to become aware of having choices.

Good luck! Keep on going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Another vote for the simple approach and looking at long term averages rather than freaking out over one day not on plan.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly Smoker View Post
Why not brag? You are doing excellent and you deserve the kudos.
I say BRAG AWAY...u have lots to brag about!! You GO GURL!! HOOT!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am so happy for you. GOod for you.
You deserve everything good coming your way.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

What is the KISS method?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
What is the KISS method?
KISS is just an acronym for the phrase "Keep It Simple, Stupid" - you can read more about the origins of this phrase here.

So that's what I do...no complicated, intricate "diet," no pills, no mega-gym workouts. Been there, done that and it doesn't work for me, because either I can't stick to it or else I gain everything back because those types of weight loss regimens are unsustainable in the long term.

I'm in my late fifties and it's taken me that long to finally internalize the simple fact that "diets" don't work...sensible eating and moderate, consistent exercise are the key. We've all heard it; we all know it, at least on an intellectual level.

But we have to finally get it. Accept it. And then...

just do it.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote