Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #1  

Default MIL rant

I am having trouble letting this go and thought a nice rant on the web would help. My future mother in law came out for Thanksgiving. She was really great with the compliments "Oh you look so good!" How much have you lost?!" I told her about the program and how well it's working etc... Then we went to the grocery store (my first mistake- I should have gone before they came). She bought everything that my fiance loves which is definitely not on plan. I tried to brush it off and justify that the snack food sitting on my counters was my way of being a gracious host. Then the woman got into my kitchen. She's southern and every recipe she has ever given to me ends with "and add a stick of butter". My fiance asked her to please make black eyed peas. I was still doing okay, a little perturbed but okay. She asked if I could eat black eyed peas and I told her no but that was fine I'd make my own dinner.

I was really happy that my parents were hosting Thanksgiving. I wouldn't be stuck with leftovers and all of that food in my fridge. Then the woman bought a turkey and decided to make her own Thanksgiving dinner at our house later that evening for the fiance. WTF! Now I'm stuck with snacks and more food that I can't eat. I could eat the turkey but the next day she made turkey and dumplings with the left over meat that I specifically asked her to save. In an effort to compromise I asked her to not use white onion or salt in the broth so I could eat it without the biscuits. She didn't listen. Ugh!

Every morning I make myself 2 cups of decaff in our huge coffee maker. She's a coffee drinker but won't touch decaff. She would get up before me and make 20 cups of coffee so when I woke up I would have to wait for her to finish 20 cups or waste all of my expensive coffee (not that I can drink it anymore but there was no need for her to make such a huge pot).

I told the fiance that his mother drove me crazy with the food and taking over my kitchen. He said that she just wanted to be a mom to him. I understand that but the fiance could lose some weight too- him mom didn't need to stuff him full of bad food every night. The day they left I threw everything out.

End rant. Thanks I feel better.

What I learned:
-Fiance's family should stay in a hotel (wishful thinking)
-Shop before they come and stock up fridge with healthy food
-keep them occupied and out of the house (out of my kitchen)
-make more on plan meals a head of time so I'm not stuck cooking for myself after she's abandoned the kitchen which means I never ate with the family
-have a conversation with her about how it bothers me that she takes over (not likely to happen- she scares me)
NotaFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/217/180

Height: 5'9"

Oooo weee! (Patting you on the shoulder.) Your mother in law....bless her heart....

Notafatbride, I commend you for taking the higher road. Many people I know would have asked her "outside." You did good though girl. You did good.
harlow grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6''

Ah...the MIL rants. I've had a few in my day. Fortunately for me...Hubby knows to pick wife over mom in most cases. I'm not disrespectful to her, but wedding rings trump apron strings in my book. I'll try to remember this when my son gets married...

Good for you bride...and well done throwing things out when she left. Don't keep temptations around and you can't give into them.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaFatBride View Post
I am having trouble letting this go and thought a nice rant on the web would help. My future mother in law came out for Thanksgiving. She was really great with the compliments "Oh you look so good!" How much have you lost?!" I told her about the program and how well it's working etc... Then we went to the grocery store (my first mistake- I should have gone before they came). She bought everything that my fiance loves which is definitely not on plan. I tried to brush it off and justify that the snack food sitting on my counters was my way of being a gracious host. Then the woman got into my kitchen. She's southern and every recipe she has ever given to me ends with "and add a stick of butter". My fiance asked her to please make black eyed peas. I was still doing okay, a little perturbed but okay. She asked if I could eat black eyed peas and I told her no but that was fine I'd make my own dinner.

I was really happy that my parents were hosting Thanksgiving. I wouldn't be stuck with leftovers and all of that food in my fridge. Then the woman bought a turkey and decided to make her own Thanksgiving dinner at our house later that evening for the fiance. WTF! Now I'm stuck with snacks and more food that I can't eat. I could eat the turkey but the next day she made turkey and dumplings with the left over meat that I specifically asked her to save. In an effort to compromise I asked her to not use white onion or salt in the broth so I could eat it without the biscuits. She didn't listen. Ugh!

Every morning I make myself 2 cups of decaff in our huge coffee maker. She's a coffee drinker but won't touch decaff. She would get up before me and make 20 cups of coffee so when I woke up I would have to wait for her to finish 20 cups or waste all of my expensive coffee (not that I can drink it anymore but there was no need for her to make such a huge pot).

I told the fiance that his mother drove me crazy with the food and taking over my kitchen. He said that she just wanted to be a mom to him. I understand that but the fiance could lose some weight too- him mom didn't need to stuff him full of bad food every night. The day they left I threw everything out.

End rant. Thanks I feel better.

What I learned:
-Fiance's family should stay in a hotel (wishful thinking)
-Shop before they come and stock up fridge with healthy food
-keep them occupied and out of the house (out of my kitchen)
-make more on plan meals a head of time so I'm not stuck cooking for myself after she's abandoned the kitchen which means I never ate with the family
-have a conversation with her about how it bothers me that she takes over (not likely to happen- she scares me)
You're working so hard. Don't let anyone (or any feelings) take this away from you. You deserve your health and success with this program!
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/175/140

Height: 5'4"

I can relate. My MIL comes to visit only about 2-3 times a year b/c they live out of state. Every time she does, she babies my DH unbelievably and I feel kind of like an oversight. I try to just deal with it and realize that she doesn't get to see him very often. I'm ready to explode by the time she leaves every time. It sounds like you handled it with class and grace. Congrats. I know how hard that it. Good job too on your weight loss success so far. You're doing great!
jendlee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 0/62/67

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you have a plan for next time she visits (or anyone else for that matter.) Maybe print out your list and keep it somewhere that you'll remember so you can refer back to it before she comes back. (Maybe we should all print out your list!) You did great in taking control of your life (it's too hard and time consuming to control everyone else's) Good job!

Last edited by E4FEwife; 12-07-2009 at 12:08 PM.
E4FEwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone! I'm so lucky to have a place to rant and get great support
NotaFatBride is offline   Reply With Quote