100 lb. Club - I went shopping at The Limited!!

View Full Version : I went shopping at The Limited!!

DCHound
12-05-2009, 08:59 PM
The Limited! The Limited, people!! You know, where all those skinny teenage girls buy short-shorts and stuff.

So I needed a really nice sweater. And all mine are too big, even the ones from the last time I lost all this weight, because back then I had a flabby midsection and needed them to be baggy. So off I goes to the mall.

I shopped at several department stores. At one, a saleslady came up to ask if I needed help. "Are you shopping for Christmas presents?" No ma'am, I'm shopping for a sweater. "Then you are in the wrong department! You should go downstairs!" Uh, I was in the plus-size section. I got tossed out of the plus-size section!!

So off I went. I was going past The Limited and they had some cute sweaters in their window. I haven't been inside one since college, when it was still Limited Express. So I go in. I found the really cute sweater section, and got an XL. I figured it'd be too small but what the hey, nobody had tossed me out yet.

So I go and try it on. Uh. It was too big.

I AM NOT THE LARGEST SIZE AT THE LIMITED! Wow! I could have been shopping there for months! I had to trade that XL in for an L. I keep telling you people this is surreal, but that was REALLY surreal.

So anyway, I am not the largest size at The Limited. I tried an L on, and it fit. In fact it fit great. So I bought two. :D

Sorry to keep boring you all with my surrealities, but, good lord. I am not the largest size at The Limited.

cathydoe
12-05-2009, 09:20 PM
The LIMITED! hoot!!

time2lose
12-05-2009, 09:32 PM
You brought a big smile to my face. :D I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing!

Violet73
12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
awww thats great! what an awesome feeling that is! I remember how that felt..and hope to get there again! good job!

LiL PiXiE
12-05-2009, 09:59 PM
wow that's great! congrats!

ubergirl
12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
That is just so unbelievably awesome!!!! Go you!!!!

cfmama
12-05-2009, 10:15 PM
That is huge just huge!!!!!! Great job friend!!!!

paris81
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
That's amazing! I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to get there myself!

DCHound
12-05-2009, 11:25 PM
This just occurred to me. Question: does that mean everyone shopping at The Limited wearing an XL is over 200 lbs?

DCHound
12-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Or more specifically, everyone over a certain height, like say 5'5...?

paris81
12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I can get stuff at the Gap and sometime Banana Republic when I'm under 235ish...always in XL, and never button type shirts, but sweaters and stuff generally fit. And I'm 5'6'', so maybe!

VernDern
12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
This made me smile! Congrats! I cant wait to get in there! =)

katkitten
12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
i am just cracking up about the idea of getting kicked out of the plus sized section! hahaha:lol:

LitChick
12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
That's awesome! And it does sound very surreal and dreamlike, with the whole getting-kicked-out-of-the-plus-size-section bit. I know I've dreamed about not having to shop there anymore! ;)

Good for you!

catherinef
12-06-2009, 05:23 AM
This just occurred to me. Question: does that mean everyone shopping at The Limited wearing an XL is over 200 lbs?

I don't know about The Limited, given that it's been many years since I was living anywhere one was located, but I'm six feet tall, currently weigh 215, and the XL sweaters at The Gap are usually too big on me.

It's funny, but the smaller I get, the more I realise just how distorted my image of body size and weight really was (and to a certain degree, still is.) I see women who are my size (or even bigger!) shopping in places that, until very recently, I would've never even considered for myself, and then I go in, try something on, and frequently discover that not only do the clothes fit me, but I'm not even the biggest size.

Congratulations on getting bounced from the plus-size department!

salsa chip
12-06-2009, 05:40 AM
UNG! That's fantastic! I'm over here rejoicing with ya! ;) Congrats!!

Judy Lynn
12-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Way to go DC! That is so freaking awesome!

nelie
12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Congrats. A few months ago, I went into Ann Taylor Loft by myself. You should've seen me, I was such a spaz. I walked past the store about 4 times before I got the courage to go in. I was shocked they didn't kick me out. I then ended up with 2 size Large shirts (not XL). It was an uncomfortable feeling and I doubt I'll do it again anytime soon but it was good.

HeaterAS
12-06-2009, 10:27 AM
*swoons* The Limited is my goal store. Seriously LOVE that store and haven't been able to fit into anything from there for almost 10 years. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! #carrot#

uclr0028
12-06-2009, 11:03 AM
That is awesome that you were able to shop at the Limited and got kicked out of the plus size section... I bet you are estatic.

Plainsgirl
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh, DC...I have been reading your posts for the last few months. They ALWAYS bring a smile to my face. You are doing so amazingly well...and your spirit and attitude is something to be rivaled...you lift me up when I am down...so...not surprisingly then that when I started to read this..I started crying...for you...for joy...something about the way you describe your journey..so up lifting...thank you for sharing this moment in time with us..I look forward to reading your goal story soon, my friend...

gloo
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
YAY! Go you! This made me smile so much...what an inspiration.

dragonwoman64
12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I got tossed out of the plus-size section!!

Sorry to keep boring you all with my surrealities, but, good lord. I am not the largest size at The Limited.

man! Very, very happy for you!!

DCHound
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Well she was really nice about it. She patted me on the shoulder and said Sweetheart, you are in the wrong section. This is Plus Size, you need to be in the Ladies' Section. So I guess I had this dumbfounded look on my face. So she was like, I bet you're on a diet aren't you, you're an in-between size. I was like, uh, yeah. She was like, yeah this happens sometimes. Everything here is going to be too big for you, you are probably a 12/14. We only carry to 1X, you'd be a 0X or smaller. Then we were talking about the difference in cut between plus and regular, plus just fits better because plus designers understand that (some) women have boobs and have a larger differential between bust and waist. Anyway, it wasn't like she took her big stick and chased me out...! She just directed me to go downstairs, and I did, and all the regular stuff was pretty crappy, so I left there and wandered til I came upon The Limited, you know the rest. :)

DCHound
12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I didn't even mention the frowny faces I got when I went in Lane Bryant, LOL. Oh man, this whole shopping thing is INSANE. :)

rockinrobin
12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I didn't even mention the frowny faces I got when I went in Lane Bryant, LOL. Oh man, this whole shopping thing is INSANE. :)

I know! I know! How in the world could something so horribly dreadful turn into something so stupendously WONDERFUL????

I'm so happy for you. :)

DCHound
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I remember like it was yesterday, heck it basically WAS yesterday (last year, anyway) shopping at Catherine's. Being extremely irritated that the store was so hot that I got all sweaty trying stuff on (it was probably a normal comfortable temperature). Having to choose between ugly, uglier and ugliest. Refusing to do more than just glance in the mirror to make sure it covered everything adequately and hid the really bad stuff. Not liking any of it. Then paying up the wazoo for stuff that looked like it was made by Omar the Tentmaker. I'm not blaming Catherine's, it was actually pretty nice stuff but it always looked horrible on because I WAS SO LARGE. Now when I look in the mirror I don't cringe. It's just insane.

cfmama
12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I get this sooooo much. I went shopping at Value Village yesterday and walked out with tops from Le Chateau! 2 Size 16!!!!! fitted/zippered skirts and a bunch of XL tops. Blew me away. I could never find clothes there before because I was a 5X but now I can shop in the 15/16 racks and get stuff!!!!

Now we ALWAYS need to remember these feelings when faced with temptations... being thin really DOES taste better than the foods we used to eat do!!!!

rockinrobin
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I remember like it was yesterday, heck it basically WAS yesterday (last year, anyway) shopping at Catherine's. Being extremely irritated that the store was so hot that I got all sweaty trying stuff on (it was probably a normal comfortable temperature). Having to choose between ugly, uglier and ugliest. Refusing to do more than just glance in the mirror to make sure it covered everything adequately and hid the really bad stuff. Not liking any of it. Then paying up the wazoo for stuff that looked like it was made by Omar the Tentmaker. I'm not blaming Catherine's, it was actually pretty nice stuff but it always looked horrible on because I WAS SO LARGE. Now when I look in the mirror I don't cringe. It's just insane.

Exactly. Exactly. EXACTLY. Oh my gosh DC. You put it perfectly.

And you too Tammy - this is what "they" (we) mean when they say that nothing, absolutely NOTHING tastes as good as being this feels. It's worth passing up on all that high calorie/high quantity food any day and every day.!!! I will gladly pass up on those brownies for a baked apple, gladly pass up on the pasta for zucchini ribbons, gladly pass up on the muffins for a salad, etc. And in turn I will gladly pass up shopping at those three horror stores in favor of shopping at the Limited, the Gap, Ann Taylor, Forever 21, H & M, basically wherever the heck I want too!!!

arumaru
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Congrats! This post made me smile. :)

Shopping for clothing can be quite surreal. The sizing is crazy. I weigh 235 lbs but I'm wearing the last 2 smallest sizes for plus sized tops. 14 and 16. I went to Lane Bryant recently and I couldn't find any tops I liked that fit me. Bottoms are a different story though, I still wear an 18 on my bottom. It's going to take a while before I have to shop outside the plus sizes for my bottom, but I find it surreal that I can find tops in a lot of stores. Last year (when I was even bigger) I found a cute top in the plus-size section, and it was actually a size L misplaced from the juniors section. That was surreal too but at least I got a cute top out of the deal. :)

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Woohoo!!!!

Smiling_Sara
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM

nah, everyone carries weight different.

Awesome Job though. I can remember getting my first clothes in the "regular" clothing stores. Still can't quite fit into Limited though. Will prob be there in about 10 pounds....

nelie
12-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Speaking of Lane Bryant experiences. I haven't shopped at Lane Bryant since I was in the 230s? I can't quite remember. Anyway, I went into Lane Bryant with a friend to shop for some bras. My friend saw a shirt she really liked and thought that it'd look good on me. I told her I didn't think it'd fit but I tried it on and I was swimming in it (size 14). I hadn't tried on any of their clothes in ages although I have some old 14/16 shirts I keep for coloring my hair or other potentially messy projects.

Windchime
12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Congratulations, DC! I've never dared step into The Limited, but your post gives me courage.

Today I was shopping in the Big City (aka the Seattle area) and went into Coldwater Creek with my sister. I didn't realize that they had Women's sizes; before, I'd been too wary to even step in there, let alone try anything on. But today is a new day, so I took a whole pile of pretty. non-"Women"-sized things into the changing rooms. I came out with three sweaters and a DARLING faux-fur coat; something I would not have dreamed of buying previously. It was beyond wonderful to go into the same store as my sister, to be trying on clothes next to her, sometimes the same sizes and styles. Absolutely wonderful. What a difference this year has made.

Lurkers, start now. Start your new way of life today. I have to be honest; today was the first time in years that Lane Bryant didn't even cross my mind when I went to the Big City Mall.