Does it Work? - Juice Plus+

View Full Version : Juice Plus+

beckk
08-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know anything about this stuff. My dentist was talking about it. Is it a good thing or a quack product? Thanks!

MrsJim
08-02-2002, 02:41 PM
We've had this come up in the past before. Basically it's another one of those MLM products that is way overpriced and overblown...

Check this article out:

http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/NSA/juiceplus.html

And this one:

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/j-n/juiceplus.html

Personally, I stay away from ALL MLM products. Multi-Level marketing is pretty much a pyramid scheme anyway, everything is overpriced, and think about it, if these products were so wonderful why wouldn't the companies just sell them through regular retailing channels and make a fortune? Simple - because they would have to compete on the shelves with the dozens of other products that are EXACTLY THE SAME as what they are selling. It's really a perception thing.

thenewme
08-02-2002, 07:47 PM
I'm one of those who tried it....end up throwing the pills out the door. Would of been a lot easier just to throw the money out the door. Good old fashion watching what you eating is still the best way to go, why do we always look for the easy way out?

Greekgirl
09-02-2002, 09:53 AM
Hi!
I tried this stuff years ago because my then best friend was pushing it on me. I wanted to help her, so I didn't say anything and stopped after a while. I felt bad for her though and thought maybe it was me, this stuff was supposed to be the best of the best after all, all Natural (notice the capital) after all!
Some time ago I read an article on www.quackwatch.com on this particular mlm product, and i found out that I was right to be suspicious, not scientifcally proven hearsay! Better stock up on healthy food, for the cost of the pills per month you can do your healthy groceries for a weeks' worth!

My advice: try something else (preferably a healthy diet), and hurray for mrsJim who always gives sound, compassionate and healthy advice!

Greetings from Athens, Greece

Misti in Seattle
02-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Well I guess I will be "odd one out" here as I tried Juice Plus and it was the most fantastic produce I have ever used... stopped my food cravings, and I lost 96 pounds on it. Within a few days of starting taking it people began to ask what I was doing, as my complexion had improved so much. While faithful on the Juice Plus for over two years I lost and maintained my loss.

When I went off of it I lost all control again and ended up gaining the weight back. Now I am back on it... and in only a week feel SO much better, and once again the food cravings are going away... today I FORGOT to eat my snack!!!

Juice Plus is wonderful... I can't say enough good things about it!!

Misti in Seattle
02-20-2003, 11:42 PM
One comment I forgot... it is interesting to read here that people are posting only the NEGATIVE sites for info... yet there are many many very positive studies on Juice Plus from well known and highly respected medical facilities. I would encourage anyone considering it to please check further... this stuff WORKS

MrsJim
02-21-2003, 03:51 PM
What positive studies are you referring to? Why not post links to them rather than alluding to them?

And studies can really be skewed...the tobacco industry has slews of studies showing that cigarettes are good for you. You have to remember that a lot of highly respected medical facilities stay in business for the most part by doing these studies which are contracted by companies such as Juice Plus and others - where they tell the facility what results they want and pay accordingly.

A classic example of this was the recently well-publicized Atkins Diet study, which was funded by (surprise!) Atkins. Michael Fumento wrote a terrific article for Reason magazine that you can find at http://www.fumento.com/fat/lard.html On the same site, there's another article called "How to Understand Scientific Studies and Epidemiology" that can be found at http://www.fumento.com/tenet.html

IMO, if it's not a peer-reviewed study, but rather one funded by the company in question, it reeks of bias and has no merit IMO.

In addition, don't you think it would be cheaper - and better for you - to eat the fruits and vegetables in their natural form rather than overly processed?

Thanks and I (along with others here, I'm sure) eagerly await the links to those studies that you referred to. Have a great weekend :)

shelbyw
02-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by dance4joy

When I went off of it I lost all control again and ended up gaining the weight back.

I think that says it all.

Sadly, this happens with all fad diets.

Misti in Seattle
03-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Well, guess what? Nothing is going to work if you don't do it. :) FWIW when I said I lost control and gained the weight back I was going through several major traumas in my life all at the same time, to which unfortunately my response was eating.

And I wasn't trying to start any arguments. :) Just saying it works for ME... I've been on it again a short time and can feel the poisons going out of my system -- AND my complexion is improving... AND I am losing weight AND don't even HAVE any food cravings.

When I was on Juice Plus before my doctor was so impressed he put a message on my voice mail on Saturday -- to tell me that everything in my system... blood pressure, triglycerides... the works... was PERFECT and said "Whatever you are doing, keep it up!"

I'm not trying to push it on anyone... just pointing out both sides of the matter. It works for ME. And again... any plan you are on won't work if you stop doing it and start pigging out and not exercising. :)

Actually I haven't been able to find ANY study which says it harms you.. if you know of one, please point it out to me.

Thanks
Sue

Misti in Seattle
03-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Oh... and I DO eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables... except I COULDN'T do that without the Juice Plus in my system, as it prevents massive cases of you-know-what. :) And again, I am not trying to "push" it... just saying that it works better for me than anything I have ever tried because with it I don't WANT to eat a lot. My comments were only meant as an opinion... FWIW my friend's doctor just put her on it. Different things work for different people... if it doesn't work for you or you just don't want to try it, fine... but I know what it does for me, and I plan to stick with it!!

Juice Plus is not a "diet" -- I don't even believe in diets... it is a supplement -- there is a huge difference. I devise my OWN eating and exercise plan, and there is "nothing" that is "forbidden." Since I've been on it again... not long at all... I've already lost 27 pounds and feel GREAT.

Oh... and the reason I have not posted the links to the studies is because when I researched it, it was for my own benefit... I moved cross country and got a new computer, so lost my "Favorites." I don't see the need to research it again just for other people's benefit... they can do it themselves; I'm not a Juice Plus representative or trying to "push" it... just expressing an opinion. :)

Sue

L144S
03-06-2003, 07:40 PM
My mother takes it.She loves it!
I do agree that you have to do what works for you. I think it is like any other suppliment. If it fills the need for what you want then do it.

I use to give the kids version to the kids. the loved it and I really think it was better than not getting any of the bennifits of fruits and veggies that would never pass their lips. I don't give it to them any more because they will eat fruits and veggis now.
-L

Misti in Seattle
03-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi L

Glad to hear some more positive input here! Actually I started out on the kids vitamins because I won them at a women's meeting... also purchased the JP Complete! And your point about this being a way to get it past the lips is a good one... AND FWIW even the JP literature itself says that ideally we would get it all from actual fruits and veggies.

My lack of quoting sources was noted here... yet a negative one which was posted -- www.quackwatch.com -- compared people's testimonies about JP to O.J. Simpson... which I really hardly think is a valid analogy. :) The site also clearly says that personal testimonials should not be regarded as valid evidence... well mine was clearly and enthusiastically backed up by my doctor. I was also interested to see that even on THIS site some of the "claims" made by people which are considered "not valid" are exactly some of my OWN experiences... i.e. clearer eyes, reduced allergies and sinus, sleeping better, less (in my case virtually NO) craving for sweets or overeating, better complexion, etc. Since I last posted here I have lost 4 more pounds... and often have to remind myself that it is time for lunch... or completely forget to eat my snacks.

As to the person who commented that my regaining the weight when I stopped... well besides the obvious that NO plan will work if you don't do it. :) -- during the past two years I have lived five places -- including moving from So Florida to Seattle... had to housesit in a mobile home that was absolutely frigid. Out of work completely for five months... NO source of income. A cross country trip on a Greyhound Bus from Ft Laud to Missouri to hold my special sis-in-law in my arms while she was dying; another death of a very close friend... being the main source of emotional support for both of the surviving spouses... moved away from my close friends and family, had to leave a church I loved and find another one... making wonderful but new friends and relationships; oh and right as I was planning the big move, 9/11 hit -- finding a job in the city with the highest unemployment rate in the nation. Then when I DID get a (fantastic!!) job, of course had to LEARN it all... a very difficult job. Lived on a lot of Top Ramen etc. during those months. Oh and dealing with the failing health of both my 87-year-old parents -- another cross country "emergency" trip, this time from Seattle to MO.

Now perhaps many here could deal with all of that and not "blow it" and fall back into unhealthful eating habits... but I admit I messed up. :)

But I am back on track... and people can scoff all they want; I know I am sitting here at the moment drinking a delicious orange creamsicle shake to start out my day and am very much enjoying craving more healthful foods, some of which I will go prepare now for breakfast!! :)

Sue - aka dance4joy

JoJoJo2
03-08-2003, 09:56 AM
A number of years ago I was quite ill, nearly died from having bacterial meningitis. I spent three weeks in the hospital and came out of it really drained. Recovery took a lo-o-o-o-ong time.

After I spent almost a year struggling with life a friend suggested the supplement Juice+ which I tried. After about a month, all of a sudden I began to come out of my physical disfunction and began to feel much better. That feeling much better has continued to this day.

I never looked on the Juice+ as a weight loss tool. And I eat my fruits and veggies with relish. I purely use it as a supplement to fill in any cracks in my day-to-day eating plan. As a senior citizen I probably need some bolstering regarding what I eat. Age is a big factor in everything you know.

I am not a seller of Juice+, I also do not recommend it to anyone. I am just saying that I used it, I continue to use it, and I believe it has been of help to me.

Misti in Seattle
03-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Hi JoJoJo

Well I should add that I too look on it as a health supplement rather than a "weight loss tool" per se... as my goal is not only to be thin but HEALTHY! But it also helps me lose weight and accomplish my total goal so in that sense I guess I am using it that way.

We are all made a bit differently... so I guess what works for some people doesn't work for others; but this sure works for me!!

Sue

Misti in Seattle
03-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Just thought I would make these last few comments on Juice Plus... unless someone asks for more info. But today I decided to take my Juice Plus label to my doctor for her opinion. She said it is excellent -- she had no problems with it -- and that I don't need any other vitamins.

I also gave a friend a week's supply... she came in to work on Monday with a cup of it and said she could not believe how good it tasted! Today... two days later... she came in and said "Look!" -- Her watchband was "flopping around" on her wrist and she said she could just feel the bloating going out of her entire body like that and feel her system starting to function properly... already.

Again, not trying to persuade anyone -- just want to point out the positives.

Sue

JoJoJo2
03-27-2003, 08:26 AM
That's interesting. Actually I take the pills, and I had no idea Juice Plus came in a liquid form.

Suzanne 3FC
03-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Juice Plus is fruit and vegetable extract powders. Dried up fruits and veggies. Their website doesn't include a list of ingredients or nutrient data, so it's impossible to say if the pills contain any other ingredients such as diuretics and/or herbs, etc. I'll go on the assumption that it's just the dried fruits and vegetables, unless someone can provide more information.

Based on that much, then Juice Plus is not harmful, unless you have certain food allergies.

The guidelines on their website for a weight loss program states:

The formula for losing weight and keeping it off is:
Focus on food choices rather than counting calories. It is interesting to note that the average person in China consumes 30% more calories and a pound more of food every day than the average American, yet most Chinese people do not have a weight problem. It's because of the types of foods they eat.
Eat more nutrient-dense foods. This means consuming a diet rich in fresh raw fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. In fact, the majority of the diet should consist of plant-based food.
Increase exercise. Exercise elevates the metabolism long after the activity is completed, and helps to burn fat and to build lean muscle mass. A lean body burns more calories while resting than a fat body does!

Pay attention to the ingredients in the packaged foods you buy. You'll be surprised at how much sugar and other processed ingredients are in some of your favorite foods!

Learn to make healthier meals at home. Buy a new cookbook and try some new recipes and ingredients
Make sure that your changes are gradual and permanent. Don't start anything today that you can't continue for a lifetime.

These are the same general guidelines that apply to any generic weight loss plan and are not unique to Juice Plus. If you follow these guidelines, you will lose weight. Even without the Juice Plus.

So why take the Juice Plus?

Their website quotes several research studies which they claim support the use of their product. Most of these studies are regarding issues other than weight, such as the Immune Study in the Integrative Medicine. The purpose of this study was to determine if elderly people digested fruit and vegetable extract powders better than fresh produce, in order to obtain the immune benefits. The descripton the the Juice Plus research page (https://www.juiceplus.com/university_research.php) sounds very encouraging, but apparently was taking out of context. The actual report ends:

In conclusion, fruit and vegetable extracts are a safe and well tolerated supplement to dietary fruits and vegetables. They are also beneficial at improving immune function in the elderly who have increased risk for developing infections, cancer, and heart disease. ...... Ultimately, fruit and vegetable extracts could be a useful tool to improve immune function in elderly. However, the presense of fiber with its multiple benefits continues to support consumption of a broad range of fruit and vegetables as the optimum choice to obtain the beneficial small molecurlar weight materials that were immunorestorative in this study.

Therefore, it seems that the fruit and vegetable extracts are not actually better than fresh produce. They may be equal in some ways, but are inferior in others.

The one report that does focus on Jucie Plus in a weight loss program doesn't actually serve to prove whether or not Juice Plus helps in weight loss, but rather investigates how it affects the body's aging progression during a weight loss program. They claim that your body ages during obesity and subsequent weight loss program, and they felt that the inclusion of fruit and vegetable extracts could reduce the aging effects. The study did in fact show that fruit and vegetable extracts were beneficial in this aspect.

I can't help but wonder, if taking a handful of capsules filled with dehydrated fruit and vegetable juices helps us because we are getting the nutrients of the produce that we might be lacking in our regular diets, why not just increase our fruit and vegetable consumption? It would certainly be cheaper. And, you get the added benefit of fiber. Of course Juice Plus offers a fiber supplement, so there you go :p

Does Juice Plus work? The weight loss program recommendations are standard, and will work without the use of the capsules.

In the end, many people find that purchasing a weight loss product, enrolling in a program, or even buying a diet book helps. Paying hard earned money seems to validate our efforts. We live in a society where free is good, but anything you pay for must be better. Likewise, the more you pay.. the better the product. Why else would products such as Leptorpin, at $153 a bottle, sell so well? If it costs that much, it must work!! Ok, I'm getting off topic, lol!

What I'm trying to say is that whether or not a diet program works for most people is really based on how much effort they put into it. When you go on a diet, and particularly if you have made an actual purchase of a product or service, you pay more attention to what you eat and how active you are. Your subconscious takes over. You eat less, you move more, you lose weight. Was it that magic pill or the book or the program you paid out the rear to join? No...not really. If it prompted you to follow the natural guidelines of a weight loss program, and if that magic pill or program does not contain anything harmful, then go for it.

It's like anything else. Weight Watchers works.... if you can stick to it. Low Carb works.... if you can stick to it. Even Slim Fast works.. if you can stick to it.. And so on.

My personal opinion on Juice Plus is that it does not appear to have any benefits over fresh product to substantiate the high price. However, it might be a good choice for people that have digestive problems and can't consume a lot of fresh produce. Even still, if taking those capsules puts someone in the right mindset to follow a balanced weight loss diet and exercise program, and money is no issue, then it may be useful for some people.

To their credit, the Juice Plus website does encourage exercise and healthy eating. Many similar products make outrageous claims that you don't need to do either, just take their magic pill and watch the fat melt as you sleep (etc).

Misti in Seattle
03-28-2003, 01:45 AM
JoJoJo... Actually the Juice Plus Complete is a powder which you mix with juice, etc. to make the liquid.

And Suzanne... it is not a diet program, nor is it a magic pill, nor is it imagination. And actually it is not only fruit and vegetable extracts; here is a complete list of the ingredients, taken from the label. (Note the fiber and also the acidophilus, which explains why it helps in the digestion of actual fruits and veggies also).

Vegetable protein blend (isolated soy protein, tofu powder, rice protein concentrate, I-methionine, chickpea powder), Simple and Complex Carbohydrate Blend (fructose, maltodextrin, rice maltodextrin, inulin from dahlia, fructooligosaccharides from Jerusalem artichoke), Dietary Fiber Flend (oat fiber, cellulose fiber, carrageenan, guar gum, rice bran, citrus pectin, apple fiber, yucca powder, barley fiber), Natural flavors, Beta Carotene (color), High Oleic Sunflower oil, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enzyme blend (protease, lipase, amylase, cellulase, bromelain, papain), Juice Plus Fruit Juice Powder Blend (apple, orange, pineapple, cranberry, peach, acerola cherry, papaya), Stevia, Land and Sea Mineral Source (spirulina, kelp, wheat grass), Juice Plus Vegetable Juice Powder blend (carrot, parsley, beet, broccoli, kale, cabbage, spinach, tomato). Balanced vitamin and mineral blend [calcium (tricalcium phosphate, carbonate, citrate, Magnesium (citrate), Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, ascorbic acid), Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate), Iron (ferrous fumurate), Zinc (citrate, oxide), N iacinamide, Manganese (sulfate), Vitamin B2 (calcium pantothenate), Vitamin A (palmitate), Vitamin K, Copper (sulfate), Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin), Vitamin D3, Chromium (chloride, picolinate), Folic acid, Molybdenum (sodium molybdate), Biotin, Iodine (potassium iodide), Selenium (sodium sleenite)].

Oh and all this in one 110-calorie scoop. Total fat 1G, Saturated fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 135mg, potassium 95mg, total carbohydrate 15g. Dietary FIBER 4g (14% daily value), sugars 12g, protein 13g.

% Daily Value:

Vitamin A 50%
Calcium 50%
Vitamin D 35%
Vitamin K 25%
Riboflavin 35%
Vitamin B6 35%
Vitamin B12 35%
Vitamin C 100%
Iron 50%
Vitamin E 35%
Thiamin 35%
Niacin 35%
Folate 40%
Biotin 35%
Phosphorous 35%
Panththenic acid 35%
Iodine 35%
Magnesium 2%
Zinc 60%
Copper 45%
Chromium 20%
Selenium 25%
Manganese 60%
Molybdenum 60%

For all this it costs me approx. $35 a month (and I take it daily rather than every other day). And I don't need any other vitamins or supplements, according to my doctor; in fact she said it is excellent; I trust her so that is what I will go by for myself. (And my PREVIOUS doctor said "Whatever you are doing, keep doing it; it's working!") And personally I don't consider this all that expensive. And I would have a very difficult time eating all this every day for under 110 calories and even if I could it would not be cheaper... it would cost me a fortune... if I could even FIND any Jerusalem artichokes or yucca powder! Oh.. and it TASTES fantastic!!!! :cb:

Sue

JoJoJo2
03-28-2003, 07:42 AM
Thanks, Suzanne, for all the information. Actually I had read all that type of information before I started taking Juice Plus. No, I never took it to lose weight. But I was so debilitated from bacterial menengitis that I was willing to try most anything to get to feeling better. And I did get to feeling better. Maybe it was the Juice Plus, maybe it wasn't. Who knows. This was over eleven years ago but I was no kid even then.

And thanks to you, dance4joy, for posting the information you did. Sounds tasty, but I think I will stick to my pills. Good luck to you, and keep doing what you are doing. Relying on your own individual physician and her advice is a good way to go.

My doctor also knows that I am taking Juice Plus, but we have not discussed it at length.

In my case and at my age I believe Juice Plus may provide a bit of additional nutrition that my intake of fruits and veggies
may lack. I love my fruits and veggies, I consume great quantities of them, I will continue to do so. I take the Juice Plus purely as a supplement.

Suzanne 3FC
03-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks for providing the ingredient list :) I've written them twice in the last 3 months to request it, but they have never replied. Therefore, as I said, I was only basing my information on what they provided on their official website including their own limited information, as well as the reports they included. The reports they include which are supposed to support their claims do not include the powder mixture you take, however, they only report the effects of the fruit and vegetable extracts when included in a regular diet. These fruit and vegetable extracts are manufactured by other companies, as well, and are not exclusive to Juice Plus. Regarding digestion, the reports made no mention of the acidophilus, as I'm assuming it isn't in the capsules. I have no idea. However, the report didn't say the product assisted in digestion, so I'm sorry if I gave that impression. The report was only concerning the bioavailability of the nutrients in the fruit and vegetable extracts, when consumed by the elderly that had digestive problems or did not consume enough fresh produce, with the sole purpose of improving their natural immune functions. Since the study group was not able, or willing, to consume fresh fruits and vegetables, they wanted to see if consuming dried extracts would have the same benefits. The result was that the dried extracts were digested and helped improve the the immune functions, as if they had consumed fresh produce. It also said fresh was better. The report was not regarding the mixture you are using, we're talking about two completely different things.

I'm a little confused, though, their website leaves the impression that the products contain a LOT of the benefits of fruit and vegetables in each serving, yet it doesn't seem to contain very many nutrients per serving.

And Sue, I never said Juice Plus specifically was a miracle pill, diet plan, or imagination. My comments were generic regarding any product or plan someone uses to lose weight. My post was not an attempt to debate or offend, I was actually standing up for any (non-harmful) product that helps someone stick to a diet plan. After all, nothing can make anyone safely and permanently lose weight other than eating a healthy diet and increasing activity. You have to burn 3500 calories more than you consume in order to lose one pound of fat, as I'm sure you are aware. Consuming fruits and veggies, either in fresh or dried form, do not (on their own) affect body fat. They are just a small part of a balanced diet.

And I still stand by my original post that there is nothing harmful in the product, and if you feel it helps, then there is no reason not to use it. I don't personally have the need for it, as I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and I take my multi-vitamin in the form of a tablet. Your mixture also contains a multi-vitamin supplement, according the label. Even WITH the added vitamins, each serving provides 1/3 to 1/2 of the daily RDA. That leaves me wondering just how much (or little) vitamin content is in the product on it's own.

Juice Plus mentions soy on their label of the procuct you are taking, which is a 'plus' for them, although they don't mention how much of the 13 grams of protein is from soy. The USDA recommends 25 grams of soy protein per day to be beneficial. However, once again, we are talking about a completely different product than the Juice Plus capsules, which were the focus of their studies.

The only real problem I have with Juice Plus is the way they are marketing their product. Their website does not include the ingredients in the products, they expect people to purchase it in blind faith. They also make misleading statements based on reports in which their claims are taken out of context. This isn't fair to potential consumers that may not have several hours to sit and search for specific details. The fine print says that it is not better than fresh food. It's just an alternative product which is the basis of a large MLM company with a high focus on sales. The article that MrsJim pointed out, http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/NSA/juiceplus.html , sends up a lot of red flags.

Misti in Seattle
03-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Hi Suzanne

I certainly did not mean to be offensive either... my apologies if it came across that way. After I posted I realized that I should also say that I 100% agree with you that if anyone is taking this or anything else and expecting it to produce miracle results, they are in for an unpleasant surprise. :lol: And I can see that we are talking about two different things... the original post referred to Juice Plus and called it "this stuff" so guess I was assuming the discussion involved all the products. Yes, the Complete is far more extensive than the capsules, I think.

I should add that you will also find me here in the "March Exercise Challenge" thread where I am ahead of schedule to complete my goal of 1300 minutes of exercise this month. :cb: And I eat a very healthful diet -- lots of fruits and veggies, brown rice, etc... and absolutely NEVER even one bite of junk or things I don't consider healthful. And the biggest thing that Juice Plus does for me is make me not even WANT to do this... and this coming from the biggest former binger on earth! :lol: I wouldn't even care if it WAS all in my head as long as it works the way it does!!

Losing weight and maintaining good health is NOT easy... it is hard work! There may be different things which assist different ones of us... but to accomplish the goals you have to "pay the price."

Sue

Suzanne 3FC
03-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Congrats on the exercise program! You sound very busy :) I would like to toss in that when I exercise on a regular basis, it decreases my hunger and the desire to nibble is eliminated. There is just something about good exercise that makes it easier to follow a diet, as it is motivating and energetic, and it affects the metabolism so we see results. When I slack off, I always regret it because of the "slump" that follows. When I'm back on track, I feel best and everything in life seems to go my way, lol.

I finally got a response to one of my email to Juice Plus! I had asked for a list of ingredients, and they sent me an odd flyer that had a list of herbs, sweeteners, fibers, fillers, and unusual ingredients, but no fruits or vegetables, lol. Half of the items on the list were meant to cleanse the bowels, according to the info they provided. I replied to ask for actual information, regarding how much of what was in each dosage (though it is unregulated and can legally contain a fraction of what they say, or none at all), and also the RDA for any vitamins and minerals they contain. I expect it will be a while before they reply. If it's chock full of beneficial nutrients and a good value for the price, then that's one thing. But if it isn't.... Well, we get a lot of email from readers asking our opinions on various products, and I really try hard to find out what a product is or does before I can comment. So far, I still see nothing which would lead me to recommend Juice Plus. But the jury is still halfway out, and I will wait on more information from the company. I admit that I am very skeptical regarding ANY product such as this, but try to remember that diet scams or useless products cost consumers billions of dollars every year, so there is a lot to be skeptical about :(

Btw, for anyone that doesn't eat all of their veggies, here is a tip I use... I might not like all vegetables, but I love V-8 Juice. I drink a glass before a meal, and it is extremely filling and helps keep me from overeating. It is 100% vegetable juice, there's nothing goofy in it. An 8 oz serving has 50 calories, 2 grams of fiber, and 40% RDA Vitamin A. And it costs around $1.75 per 64 oz can :) Of all the tips we've passed on to readers, this is the only one that consistently prompts email from readers saying it really works.

Misti in Seattle
04-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi Suzanne

Thanks for the great post. Believe it or not I too am VERY skeptical about "diet products" as I don't even believe in "dieting" at least not for myself; but simply eating right and exercising. Actually I WON my first container of Juice Plus as a door prize for a women's business group I belonged to... gave it a try, loved it and still do. I only took the "vitamins" for a short while but found them far too expensive and not worth it. The JP Complete is generally the only product I purchase... I do keep one bottle of the fiber tabs on hand but use very few of them so it lasts a long time. (If you get them from a rep rather than online you can get one at a time... the website makes you order EIGHT bottles... yeeks!

Yah, sounds as if they have been pretty hesitant about giving you information! You might have more success by contacting an individual representative and asking for the info.

The stuff has been awesome for me... but of course I heard the skepticism from all sides. :lol: That's why I took the label to my doctor to get HER opinion, and was very happy about her enthusiasm for it (she was previously unfamiliar with it).

You are right... I am one busy lady. :cb: I have to get up around 4:30 or 5:00 for work, and am also heavily involved in my church and its outreach... and now involved in the Support Our Troops rallies. Ref. the exercise, I am fortunate that my apt complex has a nice 24-hour fitness center so I just have a short walk up there.. make it so much easier to work out!

Oh and soooo true about the V8 juice! That stuff is really good for the few calories... and good for you!!!

Oh and another "tip" on the veggies for those who don't care for some of them. I bought a T-Fal steamer (double decker for rice and veggies, etc. all at once) and toss mixed veggies into it... not that hard to toss just a little bit of something I don't really like but is good for me... such as half a red pepper, etc. You get a bit of it and I have often found that done this way stuff can turn out much better than I thought!

Sue

Suzanne 3FC
04-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Oooh, you are so lucky to have a fitness center there!! I wish more places would offer some sort of fitness solution, especially in the work place. If they keep us healthy and happy, we'll make better workers or tenants, lol.

Off topic, but do you use your steamer a lot? I've looked at them and have considered buying one, but my son says I have too many gadgets as it is (which might be true). I'm particularly interested in knowing if it would work well for preparing Asian foods, as I'm not too keen on putting some things in my bamboo steamer. A plastic container would be so much easier to sanitize.

Misti in Seattle
04-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Hi Suzanne

Yes I find it MUCH easier to work out now that I have a fitness center (I've only lived here a few months).

Yes! I use my steamer very often and just love it! I bought a double one, and can even steam eggs in it. Just stand them up and turn it on, and so easy.

Mostly I use it for rice and vegetables... I only bought it about six months ago and it gets LOTS of use! I also have a dehydrator which I don't use as often but sure enjoy it when I do! When the red seedless grapes are on sale I buy bunches of them and make wonderful raisins (and I don't even LIKE "store" raisins)!

Sue