Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #1  
I'm doing it for ME

S/C/G: 317/311/200

Height: 5'3

Default new to cal counting

im not sure where i should be posting... im both a calorie counter as well as over 300 lbs so i figured i would surf between the two. i havnt been OP at all since my mother passed away and managed to gain back the lil bit i had lost so i started over fresh this am. its so odd for me to count calories cause once i take the soda and the fast food out of the equasion, i struggle to get enough cals. so far today im at 900 and im about to eat dinner.. a lean cuisine worth 210 cals... so that isnt enough for me .. im working on trying to get 1700-1800 cals per day, so i will prob drink a slim fast later for a couple hundred more cals..that will put me at about 1300.. still too low but ill work it out.
i look forward to getting to know you all as well as any advice you can give me... i really want to lose weight bad.. my grandmother died nov 7th, my mom on the 13th and my sister only has about a year or so left.. i feel a great urgency to get fit and slimmer. so far i have been pretty lucky health wise.. no diabetes, or anything according to the dr.. i just wanna keep it that way.
Twilightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/187/150

Height: 5'4"

You've been through so much lately...I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mom and grandmom.

I found at the beginning of counting calories it was hard to find the right balance. Take it one day at a time and you will work it out. A handful of raw almonds is a great way to boost your calorie count when needed. Filling, healthy and higher in calories (the good kind).

I find when my calories drop any lower than 1300 it's actually harder for me to lose the weight.

I wish you luck on your journey. One day at a time!!
carrie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

I'm sorry for all the tragedy you have been faced with. It is difficult enough to try for positive changes even under normal circumstances, so I applaud your efforts to become healthier even during difficult times.

Eating enough calories is nothing I ever have to deal with. My problem is quite the opposite. I usually aim for about 1200 and end up eating 1400 or 1500. If ever I am below calories for the day (seldom happens) I add in a little dairy treat--yogurt or flavored milk. It provides calories and calcium, and calcium is so important while dieting.

I wish you success and hope you will continue to post along your journey.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #4  
I'm doing it for ME

for years i would only eat one meal a day.. once in a while two.. but they were really bad meals such as fast food, or something from home just as fattening, but i would drink about a 12 pack a day of soda, plus grab a coffee from dutch bro's(similar to starbucks). i did finally get up to 1600 cals yesterday... but this am i feel sooo full and eck lol... my body just has to get used to eating more and giving up the sodas. i did drink a load of water yesterday, and one diet mug root beer. this am i have one heck of a headache and im sure its the soda withdrawls.. but this too shall pass
its so weird being 300 lbs and having to force myself to eat to lose weight lol... but i miss the soda as much as others prob miss the food so its about the same i reckon. i bought some steel cut oats yesterday for breakfast but its after 10am and i still havnt been able to eat them yet.. but i will..habits are just hard to change no matter what they are. i did a bunch (50) squats yesterday and boy i can feel it in my bum and the back of my legs...that is the most exercise i have done in ages sadly lol... i also went for a walk..not a long one, and worked out with my hand weights. my body is wondering what the heck is going on.. i am usually soooo sedantary..
once i get this eating thing down pat, i am going to try to give up my cigs. my mother had COPD and my sister who is 4 years younger has it as well.. so that will be anothr biggie for me in a few weeks.. but i know i can do it.. i just may be a bit grumpy for the next few months lol
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1''

Congratulations on taking the step and trying to lose weight. I will be difficult and trying at times but in the end worth it (at least thats what I keep telling myself)

I too am a smoker. I have been thinking about quitting recently; but dread that more than loosing weight. My grandmother had cancer in her throat two times and is still smoking with a trach. I see what she is going thru and don't want that to be my future, which is why I need to quit. She will be my motivation, she tells me now that I should quit.

Good luck to you in loosing weight and quitting smoking in the future!
club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I understand about the pop! LOL! My second addiction in life! (The first is chapstick). It is hard to break the habit of drinking pop. Some people crave beer...I crave Coke. But, after a few weeks, I do fine. This time around, breaking the addiction was easy because when I was faced with either eating 200 calories worth of pop or 200 calories worth of a Lean Cuisine meal, there was no question which one my starving belly wanted.

I usually coast along without pop until I get sick. There's just something about that taste in my mouth I get when I'm sick that makes water taste horrible. It's a texture thing. I want the fizz. But I'll cross the road when I get there...again.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #7  
I'm doing it for ME

eliana- yeah, when im sick, nothing but soda will do.. but i also dont eat much when im sick, so it'll be a trade off lol... since this is a lifetime thing im doing, i will save the soda for when im sick.. not gonna give it up completely cause i love it so much.. once a month ill have a hamburger from a fast food place too.. i figure going from once a day to once a month is a good deal lol.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

If you need more calories you could try things like avocado or nut butters (almond is my fav). They're more calorie dense but still healthy - not to mention make things taste awesome haha.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I used to be a BIG soda drinker also, not to mention a sugar-junkie. Lots of Coca-Cola, sweettarts, etc. When I first started I had some major headaches just like you are having. I think it was a combiniation of caffeine and sugar withdrawl. I drink iced tea sometimes now (without sweetner) for a caffeine fix, but I've taken myself completely off soda. This was no easy task for me. I decided not to drink my calories, which has made a big difference. I hate diet soda, so I don't do those either. Now it's pretty much water or tea for me. The last time I had a soda was in August on vacation, and you know what....it tasted terrible to me! I asked my sister if hers tasted bad, and she said hers was fine, so I think I just lost my taste for soda. Never would have thought that was possible. Hang in there, and you can break this habit too!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #10  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hello Twilightwing. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am so impressed that you're taking care of yourself and going towards a healthier life. May I say something about your calories? I kind of think you need more. If you start at 1300 calories, eventually, you might hit a plateau, and then, you won't have wiggle room to go down further. If I were you, I would start at 1600 or 1800 calories. If you want to up the calories, I really think it would be easy to get them up by eating more nuts, as someone already mentioned. If you don't like nuts, you might try to add more extra virgin olive oil to your salad...that is SUPER healthy. You might also try some sunflower seeds that have no salt. I found some at a health food store. You could also sip on a homemade smoothie. I like to use organic almond milk, some frozen berries, banana and a bit of Stevia instead of sugar, but you could put in some honey for a little more sweetness. Take care.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #11  
I'm doing it for ME

luckymommy- i do want to eat about 1700 cals a day or so, its just lately i feel really full all the time.. like when you have just eaten a huge meal and cant take another bite.. im sure its stress and i will get to where i can eat a lil more, just right now im physically not able. the last couple days have been a bit better.. even when i feel i cant eat a bite, ill at least drink some slim fast for some cals.. i have some walnuts that i have been able to eat a couple of here and there..i know at my size i should start out kinda high or ill have no where to go once i lose some weight.. ill get there
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Big hugs to you, Twilightwing. Sounds like you really know what you're doing, but you're doing the best you can. Hang in there...you'll get better and you'll get your appetite back. I just wanted to make sure you knew that you need more, but it's apparent that you do. I'm so impressed with your determination. I can't wait to see your journey as you head to goal.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote