Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Upday Downday

I was wondering if anyone has done the alternate day diet (upday downday diet). You eat no more than 500 calories every other day and then normal calories on the other days. Has anyone tried and had sucess with this diet?
yessigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #2  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Are you doing this now or just curious about it?

I know quite a few people do calorie cycling withing a few hundred calorie deficit but dropping your calories to 500 Im sure isnt healthy.

Im no health expert or anything but from what I think I know anything under 1000 calories will put your body in starvation mode. Im not sure of the effects your body will have though since you'll be getting normal calories every other day but my personal opinion is that its going to mess up your hormones or something.

Right now I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories and eat 5-6 meals per day. Somedays I have a hard time getting all 1200 and somedays I have a hard time staying under 1500 but it all evens out. Its something Im going to be able to maintain for life and its pretty easy and Im usually full all the time.

Its sounds easy to starve yourself one day and eat what you want the next but its more than likely not something you could keep up for the rest of your life. Im sure someone else will have better reasoning or a better answer but it's not something I would recommend for a healthy weight lose and maintenance.

Good luck! =)
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Seems like unnecessary suffering when you can lose weight eating a healthy number of calories everyday and staying active!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/135

Height: 5'2"

I haven't tried this, i was just recently read something about it. I'm not to familiar with "starvation mode" but I had read that it takes more than 1 day to put your body into this. I just don't think i could eat only 500 calories. I think i will stay at my current 1200 calories per day. Thanks for your input!
yessigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Oh my gosh...I would DIE on only 500 calories a day. I guess if you did nothing except lie in your bed and exist only breathing...maybe...?

But I'm way to active to even contemplate dropping below a minimum of 1200 a day. I cycle between 1200 on a -very- light day up to 2000 on a heavier exercise day.

Like this morning which was 1 hour intense paddling practice on water followed by 1 an on land session of jogging, interval sprints, strength work and boxing...and then jogging back (a little over an hour in total).

I would have burnt close to 1000 (probably more actually) just in that one session, let alone what my body needs just to exist.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote