General chatter - KFC R U Kidding ME?

View Full Version : KFC R U Kidding ME?

EZMONEY
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Paying by the calorie....what do you think of this idea folks? :)

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/12/02/the-cheapskate-diet-kfc-sells-chicken-for-a-penny-a-calorie/?icid=main%7cmain%7cdl3%7clink6%7chttp%253A%252F%2 52Fwww.walletpop.com%252Fblog%252F2009%252F12%252F 02%252Fthe-cheapskate-diet-kfc-sells-chicken-for-a-penny-a-calorie

Wannabeskinny
12-04-2009, 10:25 AM
I think it's awesome to bring attention to calories. I have a hard time believing that 2 pieces of chicken plus mashed potatoes and a vegetable equal 395calories, but maybe theyr'e tiny chickens and portion sizes.

Aside from that I think this is a good direction to go in. I would love for all food to be priced by calorie. Think of how much money we'd save buying celery and proteins! And we would definitely think twice about buying potato chips and cookies, for sure!

Kae
12-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Huh... kinda clever on their part.

weebleswobble
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Brilliant.

I was very struck by one of the commenters who linked the availability of cheap fast food to taxpayers being burdened with increased cost of health care...although not all people are on public health care, certainly group insurance costs are inflated because of obesity-related illnesses. Although not all obesity is fast-food (or any-food-at-all) related, I think it's fair to say a significant amount of it is, and the commenter has a very valid point.

kaplods
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't consider a penny a calorie much of a bargain. It's quite expensive, actually, even for lean meats and fabulous veggies. Hubby and I eat at least 4,000 calories per day (he about 2200, me about 1800), and we don't spend $1200 dollars a month on groceries and eating out - not even close.

We're eating pretty well (in terms of health and variety) for about 1/3 to 1/4 a penny per calorie (quite often much less).

I have a hard time believing that 2 pieces of chicken plus mashed potatoes and a vegetable equal 395calories, but maybe theyr'e tiny chickens and portion sizes.

I've had the grilled chicken, and the pieces were quite small in comparison to their fried chicken pieces. Some of which, I chalked up to the space taken up by the breading, but I think the pieces were still noticeably smaller.

I would also guess that they migh be assuming you're going to remove the skin (if so, I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere).

littlemissbliss
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I've been wondering about that meal too. The pieces probably are tiny. And the green beans are probably just cooked with water, and the mashed potatoes are probably tiny too. I would be willing to try it, if I happen to be near a KFC sometime in the near future.

HannahBoo23
12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I thought it was pretty neat.. but it's probably true that the portions are tiny. It looked good but commercials always make the food better than it really is, much more appealing. So, I would try it one of these days. Make my decision. lol

nicollem
12-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Haha I have been thinking lately about how great it would be if fast food was a penny per calorie.
Take the guessing work out of it plus the healthier food would be cheaper. That would make life so much easier.

beerab
12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I think applying it to fast food is a good idea- but maybe not for grocery stores- veggies and fruits and things would definitely be cheap- but other stuff not so much- how much would butter skyrocket lol.

I had to put this comment from the site here cuz it cracked me up:

"We do not have an obesity crisis here but a rude meddlesome intrusive bad manners crisis. People should mind their own business and eat or don't eat whatever they like and keep quiet about it."

Someone is in denial IMO.

nelie
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Well I think veggies would be cheap, imagine if you could buy leafy greens by the calorie versus the pound? :) Fruits wouldn't be cheaper. I can get a lb of apples for $1 versus 1 apple which is about 90 calories. Even my beloved dried beans would skyrocket.

1 lb of dried beans costs $1-$2 and yields nearly 2 lbs of cooked beans. Beans vary but there is about 1200 calories in 1 lb of dried beans so that means it'd be $12 for a lb of beans? yikes.

Anyway, for fast food, it seems like a decent idea, for grocery shopping, no way.

harrismm
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
great idea.

vanessa761
12-04-2009, 03:04 PM
What a coincidence. I actually went to KFC yesterday and had this except I had a biscuit and soda:devil: with it. It was about 4.95 total. I definately ate more calories than that though because of the buiscuit, soda plus margarine and honey. I don't think the portions are that small. They are pretty reasonable. I think as overweight people we are used to eating large portions that initially smaller servings might seem tiny but in reality are what we should we should be eating. I do think though that they are not counting the skin and who goes to kfc and doesn't eat the skin. They need to accentuate that skin doesn't count in the calorie count.

weebleswobble
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
oh, I think the skin is yucky. I even peel it off of fried chicken. :)

JulieJ08
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Anyway, for fast food, it seems like a decent idea, for grocery shopping, no way.

Yeah, I think it's clear that for food in general, it doesn't work. 1800 calories is 1800 calories regardless how healthy it is or how much fat or sugar is in it, and that would be $540 a month for food for one person.

L R K
12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Clever

kaplods
12-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I didn't think the portion was small or unreasonable, just that the chicken pieces seemed significantly smaller than the ones used for the original recipe and the extra crispy - even when the battered skin was taken into account.

Aclai4067
12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
And the green beans are probably just cooked with water

Maybe dumb question: What else would you cook green beans in?

I'd like to know the total fat for the meal. I do WW and wanted to be able to calculate the points before trying this. Their website says 4 grams saturated fat, but it didn't say the total. Kinda weird.

awesome quote from a commentor (same one mentioned before actually, this guy's full of gems) "As long as people are not smoking,drinking and doing drugs what they eat is their choice."

So if I have a beer someone else should pick my food for me?

weebleswobble
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
in Indiana they cook green beens in ham. :)

weebleswobble
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
kaplods, maybe they are getting graded sizes for the battered pieces....and it would make sense to use a lower-graded size (cheaper, too) for the diet plate.

Aclai4067
12-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I was just thinking: what if they charged by the calorie for their double down chicken sandwhich? (for those of you who haven't heard of this thing. It's a sandwhich they're test-marketing in certain cities that has 2 piece of fried chicken with bacon and cheese in the middle... no bread, the fried chicken serves as the "bread" of the sandwich)

kaplods
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
kaplods, maybe they are getting graded sizes for the battered pieces....and it would make sense to use a lower-graded size (cheaper, too) for the diet plate.

That's what I'm assuming, and it certainly does makes sense.

I wasn't trying to say that it was odd, deceptive or unfair that the pieces were smaller. My comments had more to do with accounting for how the entire meal could easily be under 400 calories (and piece size was just part of that equation).

beerab
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I think it's clear that for food in general, it doesn't work. 1800 calories is 1800 calories regardless how healthy it is or how much fat or sugar is in it, and that would be $540 a month for food for one person.

Goodness I couldn't imagine spending OVER $1000 a month in groceries! My sister and I are probably 1500 cal/day people. Then my husband is definitely at least closer to 2000 cal/day. In an average month that would be $1500.00 on groceries!

JulieJ08
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Goodness I couldn't imagine spending OVER $1000 a month in groceries! My sister and I are probably 1500 cal/day people. Then my husband is definitely at least closer to 2000 cal/day. In an average month that would be $1500.00 on groceries!

I guess it's not actually an equal comparison, because even if we were talking only healthy foods, restaurant food is going to cost more than the same in groceries. So it's really more like, say $540 per person per month to eat *all* of their food as fast food. $18 a day, $6 a meal if only 3 meals, $3.60 if 5 equally sized meals. I don't know if one could really expect to eat only fast food for a lot less than that, now that I think about it :shrug: Drinking only water would make a big difference in real fast food costs, as beverages would blow that $3.60 out of the water, but I guess with this scheme the diet sodas would be free or close to it!

Hmmm, free tea too ...

medinazarley
12-10-2009, 12:10 AM
*KFC Drumstick and thigh meal contains contains 4.5g sat fat, 130mg cholesterol, 1530mg sodium. Substitutions will impact calorie count. For a limited time at participating KFC''s. Prices may vary. Tax extra.

So I scoured the KFc website for info on the calorie count for the 395 cal, $3.95 meal. This is the only fine print. i wonder how many calories I'd save by not eating the skin...becasue the skin counts. 270 calories of this meal is chicken with skins on. I love the idea, but I'm trying not to eat FF at all.

StraitLover
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I was just thinking: what if they charged by the calorie for their double down chicken sandwhich? (for those of you who haven't heard of this thing. It's a sandwhich they're test-marketing in certain cities that has 2 piece of fried chicken with bacon and cheese in the middle... no bread, the fried chicken serves as the "bread" of the sandwich)

Oh, my! :faint:I just gained 3 lbs by reading that!!! :dizzy:

kaplods
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=medinazarley;3041846...So I scoured the KFc website for info on the calorie count for the 395 cal, $3.95 meal. This is the only fine print. i wonder how many calories I'd save by not eating the skin...becasue the skin counts. 270 calories of this meal is chicken with skins on. I love the idea, but I'm trying not to eat FF at all.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be too difficult to calculate. Weight the skin that you pulled off. I believe (if memory serves, but you could always look it up) that chicken skin has about 150 calories per ounce (less if it's super crispy, and more if it's still flexible).