General chatter - Christmas Spirit

View Full Version : Christmas Spirit

EZMONEY
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
:clause: SHOW ME YOUR CHRISTMAS SPIRIT :tree:

Post anything you wish here that takes us to Christmas Day... memories...plans...traditions...anything uplifting :rudolph:

I'll start with....

I love the MAGIC of SANTA :hohoho:

Shopaholic1204
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
My new white Christmas tree. It's so pretty, I don't even want to decorate it, lol.

VernDern
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Were going to cut down our tree this year! Its the first year my boyfriend and I have lived together so I hope it'll make a cute tradition! We have been buying small things to decorate with the last couple weeks and I have to say Im totally in the Christmas spirit this year! Nothing like turning on all the holiday music and decorating with the fire place going! =)

I like your white tree shopaholic! My mom actually has a white tree this year too and its really pretty!

chickybird
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
My pre-k kids wrote their Santa letters today and it was sooo sweet. One of my little boys asked Santa for a purse, lol!

JennelleV86
12-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Listening to Christmas Carols and baking with my Grammy.

Lori259
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I Love Christmas....I started shopping for my kids in August and Just got everything Bought A few days ago.....We by tradition put the tree up after we eat Thanksgiving dinner (On Thanskgiving day)~Me & the kids & My hubby decorate it....The kids usually add tons of homemade ornaments within the next few weeks til Christmas Day But even though ugly to some~beautiful to me!. And My hubby puts up our outside lights and an 8 ft Santa Out there too LOL! He is so cool...Here is a pic of the santa when we plugged him in indoors this year To make sure he was working well before My hubby put him outdoors..... Santa always makes my 3 Spoiled kids smile ~LOL ~then Another pic of There stocking on the fireplace Which we do every year......And Last but not least a picture of Our tree.

And On Christmas Eve I bake cookies with the kids every year to leave out for Santa~LOL

Institches21
12-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Love to bake Christmas Cookies, and have the Christmas Music on High.

plugging in the Christmas Tree for the first time this season.

Seeing the magic of Christmas through my 6 yr old nephew's face, how excited he gets, and wishing my 3 were still that small.

GradPhase
12-03-2009, 03:56 AM
BAH-HUMBUG!

... The boyfriend and I are flying to the east coast to spend Christmas with my bro and dad, it's the only time I can visit them all year - can't wait. Hate Christmas; but love my dad :)

Heidi58
12-03-2009, 06:52 AM
http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.thetapestry.ca/files/active/0/Best-Christmas-Pageant.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFeVw87a7aHfXqq_eMDav4RXfL4hg

Kids' Christmas Pageants - I love them!

Windchime
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
This one is a memory. Lori259 mentioned baking cookies with the kids and leaving some out for Santa. Well, when I was growing up, my Dad worked for the post office and he got off around midnight. We would leave out the cookies, and when Dad got home around midnight, he would eat "Santa's" cookies.

Years passed and us girls were all teenagers. We had an old Labrador retriever named Moses, and he was so old and stiff that he was allowed to sleep inside at night. Well, we made the cookies as usual and set them out on the coffee table for Santa/Dad. When he got home from work, he was disappointed; his girls had grown up and there were no cookies. The next morning, we pieced it together; Moses had eaten Santa's cookies! :)

My boys are both all grown up now, but they usually end up spending the night here on Christmas Eve. I always wake them up the next morning by saying, "Santa was here! Santa was here!"

harrismm
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
My pre-k kids wrote their Santa letters today and it was sooo sweet. One of my little boys asked Santa for a purse, lol!

...I love it!!

annie175
12-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Making hard rock candy (or called stained glass candy by some) every year reminds me when my kids were little and "helped" me. Flavors for Christmas Red for cinnamon, green for wintergreen, and orange for orange, were the 3 we typically made.

cathydoe
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM
We have a local radio station that plays ONLY Christmas music from now until Christmas. I love it!

stargzr
12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
When I was a child and my family was still a family... My older sister and I shared a room and every year we would wake up and try to sneak around to peek at the presents without waking the parents. Then we would wake our older brother and get him to peek with us. Finally we'd try to wake our parents only for them to say, it's 4 in the morning! Go back to bed and come back in an hour. Of course, the three of us would wake our younger brother and sit out in the tv room (away from the tree, but in sight of it) trying to figure out which one was for whom and what was in it. That was the best!

Lori259
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
OH A memory I have ~that I would like to share From my childhood...
When I was a little girl I lived out in the country A pretty quit type road when I was a kid...anyways...On Christmas EVE...I heard Bells Jingling and My dad yelled ~OMG~There is Santa & Rudolf flying over the house Hurry Come look...So Me & My brothers ran like maniacs trying to get a glimpse Of Santa...I was about 5 to 7 years old proboly at the time...He repeated this for hours that night And I never did get to see Santa...LOL~Of course when I got older I Realized That dad was just ringing a bell and making up that he saw him of course But That was one of my best childhood memories ever....Dad passed away Sept 7th 2007...I hold that memory Dear to my heart.....Cause we never had much money but to me that was more exciting than a zillion gifts! To think I was gonna possibly get to see santa~He was a terrific dad!

dragonwoman64
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I was sure when I was a kid one year that I heard reindeer hooves on the roof! I still remember that!

Here's Cartier on 5th Avenue from last year. Saks puts lit snowflakes all over the front of the building. Nice time of year to see NYC.

EZMONEY
12-03-2009, 05:27 PM
When I was 18, a few months after graduation, I moved out of my parents house into a tri-plex that my dad and I owned. It was very close to Christmas so my parents told me to buy only what I needed...:clause: Santa was coming soon! It was probably the first year my folks had $$$ to spend on us kids for Christmas.

My mom asked for a wish list of everything I wanted for the apt. just in case. My sister was 13 years old at the time. All the gifts were under the tree, wrapped, several days before Christmas.

Being 18 and on my own I stopped by my mom's every night after work for dinner and a lunch for the next day...also to pick up my laundry all nice and folded and of course my mom "baby" sat my dog for me....anyway...at least I was on my own ;)

My sister kept bugging me to guess what the presents were...well...heck I could tell...vacuum cleaner....popcorn maker...coffee pot....I kept telling her I didn't want to guess...I knew what I asked for...

she kept bugging me...I know now it was her excitement...and joy...I am sure she was with my mom on the shopping days....

well...I guessed...just to get her off my back...

guessed them all right...every single one....

She was so bummed....:(

Wish I hadn't guessed right...I never guessed right, after that night, when a child asked me to....my luck ran out.... :rudolph:

4myloves
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Awww, Gary...... You're activating my pregnancy hormones. 2nd time today someone has made me cry over some sad Christmas-related story. One of my co-workers' tree fell over yesterday & broke her "baby's 1st Christmas" ornament that was her 22-yr-old's.

EZMONEY
12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear that 4myself.

We had a lot of those "first" ornaments and the ones the kids made in school. A couple of years ago Angie boxed them all up for each kid to have...the kids pretty much remembered the ones they made.

k8t
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
On a more serious side: We have an advent tradition of hanging a stocking for Jesus on the mantle with our family stockings. Then each night, after we light the advent candles for dinner, we each say things that we did that day to help others in some way. We write these down on little slips of paper and put them in Jesus's stocking as our birthday gifts for him for Christmas.

On a lighter side, I remember when my oldest decided that kids were asking Santa for all the wrong things. See, everyone she knew asked Santa for gifts you could find anywhere. She told us, "You know, Santa has his own workshop so he can make anything. Kids should ask Santa for the things they can't find in the stores." Needless to say, the next few Christmas requests proved challenging.

Thank goodness for eBay!

mrsaugie
12-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Well one Christmas tradition that we do is when we get the tree (which is sunday). We get together with DH's family for breakfast exchange ornamets for the person that we picked out of a hat the year before. Then go and get the tree. When we get back we usually play a game and that is usually Scrabble or something like that. It is a fun day.

dragonwoman64
12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
my mother was never one who embraced the joy of cooking, heh heh, but every Christmas she made chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies filled with raisins or pineapple. We left cookies and milk out for Santa Xmas eve. We'd have a big tree with all the lights and decorations in the dining room, and pile all the presents underneath it.

we had Christmas albums of music, I remember Julie Andrews singing the Bells of Christmas, and one was the musical story of Scrooge.

We got to open one present Xmas Eve, then everything else Xmas morning (usually pre-dawn, since we couldn't wait).

my parents filled our stockings with fresh fruit, huge navel oranges, and apples. and we'd open our box of See's Candy Xmas day. We usually had a bowl of uncracked walnuts around too.

my grandparents sent us these big boxes of wrapped presents, they lived far away. that was awesome. I remember they'd send us Timex watches all the time, one year I got a tape recorder (another awesome gift).

with all the gifts I got over the years, the one that really sticks in my mind was a watch with a red LED readout, it had a white plastic band with flowers. I loved that watch, I can't tell you why.

my older brother used to fly in to stay with us (he's much older than me), and he used to go shopping on Xmas even and always made me wrap his gifts(!)

I like getting gifts, but now I do get a bigger kick out of getting them for other people. Love that "omg, he/she will love that" moment. I went and picked up some presents last night in my neighborhood, and one store was giving out free mulled wine. I did appreciate that!

I love, love, love Christmas music, the Little Drummer Boy can make me cry. Yes, I have my sentimental streak.

MoveMoveMove
12-04-2009, 05:00 PM
It's snowing here in Houston and the natives are freaking out.

It reminds me of about four years ago when it snowed Christmas morning and melted by noon. I remember looking out of my apartment window at the kids running from car to car trying to scrape off enough snow to have a snowball fight. Trust me, it was a very short battle.

Now I leave to battle the traffic crazies.

Have a great weekend everybody!

EZMONEY
12-04-2009, 07:03 PM

I love, love, love Christmas music, the Little Drummer Boy can make me cry. Yes, I have my sentimental streak.

Me too! I love the Little Drummer Boy :)

I also like it that a few years back a station here started playing Christmas music 24/7 the day after Thanksgiving :carrot:

I don't need it now though, Angie and I have a ton of Christmas music from the old traditions to Mannheim Steamroller to Trans Siberian to Jim Brickman and Andy Williams....Carpenters, Charlie Brown...Sawyer Brown...and on...I think Third Day Offerings is the one we like the best :carrot:

I loaded my i-pod shuffle a few days ago...I am in heaven on my walks!

One of the gifts I remember from the past that I just loved...a used typewriter...rebuilt and in great condition...when I was in 7th grade...I was so cool :cool: All my buddies wanted to use it to type their reports...one finger at a time :D

good times :)

mrsaugie
12-04-2009, 10:34 PM
There is a radio station in my area that will start playing Xmas music the Saturday before Thanksgiving until new years if i remember right. They play it 24/7.

well we just got home from one of our 2 parades that we are in this weekend. cold but it was fun.

Dulce Vida
12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Oooh, I LOVE Christmas! I love finding the perfect Christmas cards, filling them out with a nice message, putting a pretty sticker and attaching a candy cane. I love shopping for gifts that I think the receiver will love, and I don't even mind the lines nor the crowds. I love decorating the house, the tree, and even my desk at work. I love listening to Christmas music on the radio all the time. I love spending time with my family.

I love it all! :wreath:

Dulce Vida
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
On a more serious side: We have an advent tradition of hanging a stocking for Jesus on the mantle with our family stockings. Then each night, after we light the advent candles for dinner, we each say things that we did that day to help others in some way. We write these down on little slips of paper and put them in Jesus's stocking as our birthday gifts for him for Christmas.

What a nice idea!

EZMONEY
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Angie and I just got home from dinner...Mexican tonight...we always have Christmas Eve at our house...around 20-30 people...we feed them...Angie has to play bells at early service at church this year...spent the evening trying to decide what to cook...we have had....

chili and chicken tortilla soup

Rachael Ray pasta

Pizza..all flavors

Deli sandwiches...ham/turkey/roast beef

cheese enchiladas, rice and beans

in recent years...any ideas folks?

EZMONEY
12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
For anyone interested I have posted the Advent Devotionals as we await our Savior's birth...go here....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/faith-based-support-groups/187532-advent-devotions-2009-a.html

k8t
12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks, Dulce Vida. We enjoy doing it together.

EZ - thanks for the link.

lizziep
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
i haven't been feeling it much this season - so yesterday we had a little potluck at work & i dressed up and put on my sparkly cranberry lotion and some make up and tried to force it. seemed to help a little.
today i'm heading out to the holiday market- a bunch of craftspeople, food, music - all crammed into the fairgrounds. i can't wait to start my shopping - and better yet to get gifts that support local artists. hoping it'll really get me in the mood!

vanessa761
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
:ginger::tree::clause::snowglo::wreath:

Iconised Ghost
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
For me, I love having our christmas tree go limp in the heat, cooking the ham and having to wait for it to finish outside otherwise we would all roast! Going for an xmas swim. ALL the food :drool: The christmas carols, getting the presents ready under the tree. Making my own cards :D

lizziep
12-05-2009, 08:51 PM
oh man market was just what i need. so many great stocking stuffers for the boy and had a great time, good music, good food. i'm thoroughly holiday cheered!!

dragonwoman64
12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
For me, I love having our christmas tree go limp in the heat, cooking the ham and having to wait for it to finish outside otherwise we would all roast!

I had to laugh reading this. I'm sitting at my computer FREEZING right now, ha. I'll be wrapping presents with fingers stiff from the cold (exaggerating....a little!)

Chelby29
12-06-2009, 04:42 PM
My hubby is the hardest person to buy for. Several years back, we were watching the Food Network. There is a chocolate plant somewhere up north that sells 5 pound bars of chocolate with whole almonds. He said, "I could eat that!" So I got him one! It ended up costing a fortune, but it was so worth the look on his face when he opened it! :lol:

EZMONEY
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Angie I and finished our decorations for Christmas inside and out today. We downsized a bit from the past, I think I mentioned we weren't putting up our artificial tree this year and we donated the real one we bought to a Marine family...we did get a small fake one from Home Depot the other day.

Here are some from the inside of the house ~

EZMONEY
12-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Here are a couple of the outside...the first two pictures and the third picture are of this year...I was not able to put up the JESUS sign this year due to me surgery...my brother and bil offered but Angie and I decided to keep what we had for now.

EZMONEY
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I saw this old CBS commercial on my homepage this morning...the article mentioned you don't see commercials like this anymore...not enough "action"...Merry Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWMjUjit_U&feature=player_embedded#

mrsaugie
12-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow

EZMONEY
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
A lot of my neighbors have their lights up and on...a chill is in the air....

mrsaugie
12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
:snow4::shocksn::coolsnow::snowglo:

we will definately be having a white Christmas this year. We are under a blizzard warning until midnight tomorrow night.

EZMONEY
12-10-2009, 10:10 PM
We cannot allow this thread to die before Christmas!!!

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

mrsaugie
12-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I will be off to a family xmas party soon.

EZMONEY
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Angie and I watched 2 Christmas movies on LifeTime and 2 Christmas cartoons last night....

I had never seen Polar Express before....

cathydoe
12-13-2009, 10:41 AM
In a week I will be heading to my family (sister) in TN for the holiday! YEA! She always has a HUGE fresh tree. Huge meaning at least 8 feet. Someone cuts them and delivers them from up in the mountains. In the family room they have vaulted ceilings that is why the trees can be so tall. WEeeeeee I am getting in the Christmas Spirit!

EZMONEY
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
The children's honor choir and the adult choir sang today in church...awesome!

People bringing sacks of food for the baskets that will be handed out...

Christmas trees are gorgeous on the altar!

Clydegirl
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Yesterday we did a Cookie 5k. so much fun.

We walked around main street, in and out of 35 businesses and shops. Not big name stores, small businesses. Each person has a gingerbread cookie bag and every businesss gave you a cookie. We came home with some good cookies and we got some shopping done as well. Some of the places I had never been in. They were all decorated and had some lovely gift ideas.

ANOther
12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I saw this old CBS commercial on my homepage this morning...the article mentioned you don't see commercials like this anymore...not enough "action"...Merry Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWMjUjit_U&feature=player_embedded#

Isn't it cute? CBS Sunday Morning just showed it today as well, they had a piece about the guy who animated it, Willis Pyle, he's 95 years old and worked on Disney's Pinocchio 70 years ago.

Believe me, I'm not one of those who thinks there's an EEEEEVIL LIB'RAL "War on Christmas" but even I have to ask whether if this spot were made today they'd score it with "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen". (Hijack: Note where the comma is supposed to go: after "merry", not "ye"! "God rest ye merry" = "May God give you peace"! END HIJACK) Well, maybe "Carol of the Bells", ya know "dum-dee-dee-dee, dum-dee-dee-dee, dum-dee-dee-dee, dum-dee-dee-dee, merrymerrymerrymerryChristmas, merrymerrymerrymerryChristmas ..." ?

ETA 12:14: I don't know that it "doesn't have enough action" but I see it's a whole minute long. You rarely see a spot nowadays that's longer than 30 seconds (although I swear those ads for whatever-the-prescription-arthritis-drug-is that zoom in on the lines of the animated people, leaves and snowflakes to show excerpts from the patient information talking about the side effects and stuff, must run close to 2 minutes)

TIARA
12-15-2009, 06:44 AM
i love xmas im halfway done with geting my gifts ..then its time to wrap it all...o what fun..lol i wish i could be able to play in snow i never saw it before but it looks like so much fun to be able to play in it....

EZMONEY
12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Here is a cool Christmas card ~

http://ecard.ashland.edu/index.php?ecardYear=2004adm

EZMONEY
12-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I am babysitting my sister this week (an off chemo week) we went shopping today at Kohl's and Costco...

I picked up the $5 Kohl's Cares for Kids Christmas For Kids...all country...and the Andrea Bocelli My Christmas at Costco...

EXCELLENT!!!! both of them....

Hannah123
12-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I mail Advent Calendars to my boys who are now 25 and 27 and they keep them on their desks at work! Then we count down until Christmas Eve when we're all together. This year my older son is driving from Calgary to London, here's hoping for good weather!

EZMONEY
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I think most of us have seen this stuff before...but...here is a neighborhood about an hour from me where the entire cul-de-sac did a light show...17 houses I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkpBaf_eAo

mrsaugie
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
WOW!! That was some light show.

techwife
12-22-2009, 02:38 PM
My son is keeping me in the spirit. Every year he does something amazingly funny. Last year was his Christmast list:

Bowflex machine
Kinoki foot pads
fake credit cards (the kind they send you with the application)

This year, we're flat broke. My son says, "I just want a couple legos...I get stuff all year." That, from an 8 year old. My sweet boy.

My daughter is a teenager and is much more egocentric and I was thinking that nothing we can do will ever be enough. I was the same way when I was 15 and so I won't get mad...I'll just wait for her to grow out of it like I did. I'm trying to gently persuade her that there is more joy in giving than recieving. So, what does she do? She got a $25 check for an event she participated in last summer. She went with me to Walmart last night and asked if I would cash her check for her because she, 'wants to buy Kyle (my son) a present that's just from her." She got him Bop It and still has $10 to spare.

I love my kids.

techwife
12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
i love xmas im halfway done with geting my gifts ..then its time to wrap it all...o what fun..lol i wish i could be able to play in snow i never saw it before but it looks like so much fun to be able to play in it....

Snow is overrated...try shoveling it....for the fortieth time. It IS nice, though, to sit by the fireplace and watch it fall while watching a Sabres game and crocheting mittens for your kids. Very cozy. :coolsnow:

mrsaugie
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Snow gets old after awhile.