Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Default Sugar

I'm new to whole foods, but found that most of my diets was whole foods already!

My question is about sugar. How can you bake? Can you include sugar? What kinds of sugar? I like sugar with my tea, and i REALLY love tea! Any insight would be great, thanks!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The cookbook Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson has lots to say about how to sweeten things. She doesn't like ordinary sugar much, as I recall, but has all kinds of other cool suggestions for less processed sweetening. The library is my favorite source for cookbooks.

Also, at least one of the books I've read recently touted nutritional benefits for unfiltered honey and blackstrap molasses -- I use a mix of those in my bread-baking most of the time. I suspect it would also work in muffins that you didn't want to be particularly sweet tasting.

I think agave nectar is terrific in tea.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I haven't used any refined sugar since I started South Beach Diet in May. I use agave nectar which is a low glycemic sweetener. Websites help people learn how to substitute it in baking. Here's a link: http://www.allaboutagave.com/

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote