Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Let's take the Royal Fresh Start Express through the festive season to the new year

Here we are, knee-deep in and again. Let's do what we need to do to make our days merry and bright.

It's been a bit quiet 'round the palace lately but lets keep the candles glowing in the windows.

Let's make a vow to look after our royal selves throughout this season and be renewed and ready when the fresh new year rolls around.

C'mon lies!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #2  

Ah, found you!!!!! Yes, I've been amiss over the recent holiday (a week ago tomorrow already).

Weight went up to 204.4 Monday, 201.4 yesterday, 200.6 today. But I did start taking prednisone yesterday so who knows? Will hang in. Scale loves playing w/me. But I've been fooling with it too with all this alternating calorie count.

Kaylets, I'm so glad you'll get a breather. News sounds promising. Stay strong. It will truly be one of your best Christmases - you are so on target about how all perspective changes.

You have been great on the party scene, Arabella. And I'm looking forward to your report on the Messiah this week.

wsw, I hope you are back "home" or at least close to it. ceara, I love how you take off and travel so much. Such a full and active life.

Ah, Arabella, the magic word "windows" - mine are now scheduled to be installed next Tuesday. Handyman coming in Monday to take down blinds, drapes, move furniture etc. and reverse same when the other crews are done. I don't think I really thought about how much work this would be.

So the rush is on this week to do lots of holiday stuff - baking tomorrow. (A lot of my gifts are baked.) Did go shopping today - bought the gift for the "angel tree" at church. Don't do a lot of major shopping as in the past so am only in "need" of something small for SIL, a small addition to basket for DIL (and I know what and where = it's just a matter of getting it and I hope to do that tomorrow). And then a couple of small things here and there.

Going to Princessville this weekend to see Princess 9 as an angel in The Nutcracker. Quick trip - down Sat/home Sunday.

Thanksgiving turned out well. Everyone seemed to get along and they worked well enough together to give me an early Christms gift of a 32 inch flat screen TV which DS and DDIL set up. Also got to see newest Great Nephew - a real darling -Luke. Neighbor also had her baby on the 22nd - Owen. Always a great thrill for me to see/hold new life.

DD still overstressed (and sharing it) and I suspect that played into snittiness last week. However, DS's job again seems on tenterhooks and I'm amazed he doesn't snit back. They have him working so much - almost every weekend this year - that it's hard for me to believe they could get by w/o him, but that's the way of the business world these days, I guess.

Always a comfort to return to the peace of the palace.

anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #3  

Oops, almost forgot!

Thanks for once again setting up our new thread, Arabella. I think that's the first we've done it "by request".
Old 12-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #4  

Smile The plan

Okay, time to state my plan:

* No eating other than at the table when I'm alone.
* No wheat, sugar or junk.
* Exercise daily.
* At least 7 fruits/veg per day.
* Gallons of water.

And my new ploy: Each day that I stick to my plan, I put $1 in a jar. At the end of the month, the amount in that jar goes to feeding the needy. So, the decision of whether I'll behave or not is the decision of whether to help people who might actually be hungry or to contribute to keeping myself stuck. (Christmas Day I get an exemption) I've got a week in now but was winging it a bit. Now the pedal hits metal...

I've got a huge party for my mom here tomorrow night, but just apps and cake and people are bringing things.

Here's a picture of the cake that both DH and DMom requested this year:

I'd made it for DMIL's birthday, the last time she was here from it. They both usually just say "whatever's easiest" so it was funny they both asked for this one. I'm going to make the flowers today and the cakes tonight and then I'll just freeze DH's (his birthday's the 16th).

Anagram, what a treat to see your newsy post! Congrats on the new widescreen. We're thinking of investing in one. We don't watch much television but it would be great for movies. Also congrats on the new great nephew -- how sweet! Enjoy your visit to Princessville and the performance!

Okey-doke. I've got about a hundred things I should be doing so maybe I'd best start with... making pineapple flowers. Let's take this day and make it work for us!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #5  

What a luscious looking cake! I'm dying to dive into it. Yes, you are a busy Royal. And I like your "ploy" - wonder if it would work for me.

I don't watch much TV either so would not have gone the new TV route. DS though has put some old videos/movies on DVD and I'd like to watch them on the newer screen. However, in installing TV he noted DVD player had been fried and surge protector burned out (I'd nevr have noticed) so now need to replace DVD player to watch them. Haven't tried on computer because I want the "full" experience.

Today's incredible news is that Demon scale in is a good mood. I was at 199.4 this a.m. and after all my naughtiness, this is a gift. I can only ascribe it to that "hang in and it will show up when you least expect it" theory. I had reached about this low four years ago during DH's difficult times but not seen it since. I'm walking an inch or two taller this morning. Tomorrow might be another story.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #6  

I am highly suspicious, though. I bet you're sneaking in enough good behaviour to offset the naughtiness. Kudos!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #7  

Well, I thought I was being "good" yesterday but was up to 201 today so I'll have to sneak in more good behaviour. It may have been the lack of exercise. I spent the morning baking and the afternoon shopping so nothing "formal".

I'm pretty much done my shopping - need something yet for DSIL which is likely to be a gift card (suits him, suits me) and something for a great nephew I may or may not see over the holiday. But that's not bad. Baked gifts are done. Cards written. New baby gifts taken care of.

This push was all of necessity. I expect the week from **** next week. Windows are to be installed Tuesday (and I expect a little of Wed if necessary). Monday a handyman is coming to help me take down blinds, drapes, move furniture and all that. Hopefully Wed afternoon and/or Thursday, he'll be back. My only two holiday events are Monday night and wednesday luncheon (for which I said I'll bring dessert but that was taken care of yesterday as well).

Hopefully by next weekend, all will be serene in my palace and I will do whatever decorating I'll get to. I did put some poinsettias and little doo dads in all my plants today so they look festive. DS had carried up my ceramic tree when he was here and I had brought up my moving angel.

With all the other stuff going on, I'm going to put up my mid-size tree with mostly what ornaments are left from my first years of marriage. That will be in the family room and then I'll put out all my angels and my little creche in the living room with the ceramic tree. That might be it. When I get that much done, I'll re-assess. If it's 11:45 Christmas Eve ..............well, by then I'll be in Princessville.

But for now, the angel, the ceramic tree, the things in the plant pots and the potholders in the kitchen will have to show my good intentions. Maybe later tonight I can dig out a tablecloth or two......Or maybe not. Should rest up for the drive tomorrow as they are calling for some snow/rain kinda stuff and I'm going to stop as usual at the Gettysburg Outlets and see if I can finish up at least one of the last two items - plus maybe pick up a huge dose of Christmas spirit.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #8  
a work in progress...

Red face And so, the self imposed exile is over, and the prodigal daughter returns.

Hello, my friends, I hope there's still a little corner of the Palace for me... a place to lay my weary bones and feel a part of something once again. Please forgive my absence. I think I stayed away so long because I felt like I had nothing to contribute. Same old start and stop story over and over again. I was feeling so down in the dumps about situation with my sister, (which is still unresolved, we're still on the outs, I never did do the breast cancer walk, at her request) and I didn't want to come here and whine, when that's all I felt like doing. Ever since then, I pretty much stopped exercising, stopped going to Weight Watchers and have been on a total downward (correction: upward) spiral. I just didn't want to bring all my sadness and anger and dark thoughts here... so... I stayed away. The longer I was gone, the harder it was to come back. But I missed my s and often wondered what was going on at the Palace.

Tonight I declared to myself that no good has come from staying away, and I'm trying to catch up on all that I've missed... am only half way through October and I had to just start typing! I just read some more and was thrilled to hear of Kaylet's DH improvments, and Arabella's trip to Ireland/England, enraged about WSW's flood, and feeling a kindred soul to anagram, as I was at the Gettysburg Outlets only a few weeks ago! I have missed you all, and hope that I will be welcomed back!

What have I been up to whilst staying away? Mostly just work. I should have done some decorating today... at least removing the pumpkins, gourds and dead mums from around the front door would have gone a long way to updating the season! Tomorrow I will, I swear, come **** or high water... oops, touchy subject, wsw, sorry! We're going to the in-law's (in CA) for Christmas this year, so, sadly, no ... I will try to make it festive without a tree, but still....

I really would love to ramble on, but I don't want to overstay my welcome, after being gone so long, and besides, I'd better get to bed soon, if I plan on getting things accomplished tomorrow.

It is lovely to be back, I feel better already...
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #9  

Default Happy Sunday!

I'm so happy to see you back in the Palace, Kat! We missed you!

I do believe that whatever's going on, we're better off with the love and support of the lies. And if we've got nothing positive to say, then that's doubly true.

Anyway, so happy to have you back. Together we stand, Baby!

I woke up with laryngitis yesterday morning and TODAY's The Messiah. I've been doing everything I can to try and regain my voice but it's not looking good. Four hours to performance time and I still can't really even speak, let alone sing. I won't give up hope of a miraculous recovery until I've got no other choice. Gargling, rinsing sinuses, drinking herbal tea, etc. etc.

AND we've got a snowstorm going on but probably not enough to cancel because they flew the soloists in. Still... I think that's what I'm hoping for, baring an astonishing return of my voice.

Thinking: What can I learn from this? And it's got to be the perennial "I need to look after myself better" -- make sure I get enough rest and recreation, etc. I had a bit of a cold earlier in the week but didn't attend to it as well as I should have. I love this event so much, maybe I will learn from this?

Anagram, your preparations sound pretty festive. And Christmas in Princessville will be sweet, I'm sure. I know the torture of having the house torn apart and having people in doing work. I always feel disproportionately bothered by that kind of thing. I sure love my conveniences, hate inconveniences But then it's so sweet when they're done and GONE

Kaylets, WSW, Ceara Let's make the best of this day we've been given.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Thank you for your kind words, Arabella! Being here does wonders for the soul, literally! I'm feeling more peaceful and focused already. I'm sending voice healing vibes your way, what rotten timing to have laryngitis! Sending virtual chicken soup and tea w/lemon & honey your way!

Starting slowly, I have declared to myself that I'm going the clean eating route for now. Time to detox the bod from the ice cream binges I've inflicted upon it. #1 on list of things to do today is to pick up batteries for the scale and actually face the music. Last time I checked, I was up about 4 lbs from weight posted here. I know it could have been far worse, (and just might be) since I haven't weighed myself for about 2 weeks! Whatever it is, it is. Moving forward!

I'd love to linger here a bit, but I can't, I must go face the pumpkins and make way for the evergreens! It's a beautiful day, cold, but sunny. It rained all day yesterday... we actually had snow at one point! No accumulation, but SNOW? I gotta get moving here!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #11  

Thumbs up Fresh Start Monday!

And we've got the "Winter Wonderland" thing happening here. Gorgeous, snow on all the trees, everything pristine. We walked home from the performance yesterday evening and all the Christmas lights were glowing softly through snow in that twilighty blue.

There was still nothing resembling a note coming out of my throat by the time I'd have to leave yesterday so I was in the audience. There's still the sing-along Messiah on the 29th, though, so I'll at least be able to do that. And then we're working on a new Requiem (Karl Jenkins) for Easter. It's going to be a little challenging to learn because there are no practice CDs for it. I guess I'm just going to have to buckle down and really learn to read music. But that'll be good.

Kat, good luck with your weigh-in! Yes, if four pounds (or even a few more) is all the damage you did during a down period -- well, I salute you, Ma'am!

Re: pumpkins -- DH pointed out to me that the lumpy things under the snow on our steps were gourds. And there's a sad potted mum there too. Must clean up.

K, I'm going to get some work done and then get out for a walk around the harbour in that winter wonderland. There's the park on the side across from the water. It'll be gorgeous!

Here's a pic of the boardwalk. Maybe someone will have one of the snow later.

Let's make this a good one!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #12  
a work in progress...

Ohhh, I love the Winter Wonderland! Ours was more like snow mixed with rain on Saturday... nothing pretty about it! Although, yesterday, when I took myself for a good long walk at my favorite park, there was snow up on the hills and dusting the pine tree branches... very pretty! I hiked up hills, through the woods, 'round the lake and back again. Even managed some woggling, just to see if I could. (I could!) It felt great to be outside and moving. Got some shopping done after that, including a wreath and some pine roping to replace my sad pumpkins. I felt very accomplished.

My freshly batteried scale told me that I was up 2# from from weight posted here. I'm going to wait til Saturday for an 'official' reading and make the necessary changes then. <whew> Amazing how much control that little number has over the state of mind!

Lunch break over... I'll be back later. Have a great day, all!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #13  

Exclamation The question

It struck me, yesterday, that my immune system is not what it should be given how much attention I pay my health. The only issues I see are not taking time for myself and stress. Which are, I guess, enough. I mean, this is the third cold I've had since fall. It's ridiculous!

You know, the toenail scale is a very good indicator of whether I'm getting enough self-care or not. And they've got a few scraps of faded polish on them from the summer. Uh-oh.

Hahaha! I just remembered that looking after myself was my NY resolution this year. Then SIL was diagnosed mid-Jan and I fell by the wayside. SO. I'm going to have to resolve to look after myself despite obstacles. Because they will arise.

Coincidence that I've gained 10+ pounds back? I don't think so. My needs are not being met, I'm internalizing stress... I'm sick and fat.

Kat, I'm loving the energy I'm hearing! Your walk sounds wonderful. And a wreath! V. impressed. I've got to pick up our tree this week to get it set up and decorated on the weekend.

K, lies, here's to looking after OURSELVES! Let's take this day and make it WORK for us.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #14  

WEAR OUT YOUR WELCOME????? Now, kat, you should know better. Welcome HOME. I'll discuss more at length, just a quick checkin while waiting for the window guys to come back and finish up.

And, dear Arabella, I was checking in for a glowing report and find you'd no voice. Yes, yes, yes, TAKING CARE OF US has got to be the 2010 theme. ]

Fell back on my old ways last evening too - shame, shame, shame. AND I AM OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!!!!!

Anyway, back in when I can. It's not as bad as might be - I feel "in control" of all this mess except for my self indulgent binge last night. Smack, smack, smack.

Luv to all lies and off I go to face another disrupted day. Hope to see calm by the weekend but it could be worse

Last edited by anagram; 12-09-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #15  
a work in progress...

Cool Quickie lunchtime report:

It was absolutely miserable out this morning... pouring rain, bleak, blah. "There goes today's walk," I thought sadly, through the swishing of windshield wipers set on fast mode. One good habit I have managed to hang onto, during my <ahem> sabbatical from healthy living, was my lunchtime walk. I so look forward to getting outside, moving the bod & breathing fresh air, after sitting on my a$$ all morning, so I really was sad about missing it today. Lo and behold, the sun came out, shining brightly in a pretty blue sky, it's warm and lovely out...so I got my walk in after all. I didn't need a jacket but I did need sunglasses! All is right with the world!

The End.