Exercise! - Running through December

View Full Version : Running through December

Fat Pants
12-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Thought I'd get the thread rolling on this chilly December morning.... :brr:

This may be the toughest month for me to make running/exercise a priority! I think we have something going on every single weekend.

Anyone have any races in December? I'm done until January, but I will live vicariously through the rest of you! Good luck to Momof5k on her first race! You will do GREAT!

mkroyer
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
im doing rudolphs revenge 10K on the 19th..... thats it for me.... :(

Fat Pants
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
im doing rudolphs revenge 10K on the 19th..... thats it for me.... :(

One more than I have :( I meant to ask you in the other thread, what is a qualifying time for Boston?

mkroyer
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Qualifying time for ME, being a female age 18-30 is 3 hr 40 min. now a MALE my same age would have to run it in like 3 hr 10 min!!! So im pretty grateful at the moment to be a girl!!!! 3:40 seems DOABLE (although im going to have to train just as hard as for my first marathon to knock 20 minutes off my time!)

MBN
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
My next HM is on Dec 13. It helps me not pig out too much at all of those holiday parties!

EveLHaelf
12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
FINALLY out of November! THat month seemed to drag on! I have a 2 mile x-mas run on December 19th and a new year's day 5k. I'm sooo glad I did that Turkey Trot because now, I'm not afraid at all of my c25k long run days. I think 'hey, I was able to run for 40 minutes! 25 is no sweat!' ;)

crk05
12-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Yay, December! My favorite month of the year!! A belated congrats to everyone who ran Turkey Trots...if I didn't congratulate you already!!

Things have been pretty busy for me at work and home. I have been running faithfully and have one more 5K on 12/12. It's the Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis, and I'm looking forward to it lots. Hopefully it won't be too cold! This will be it until 3/14/10 until I do...my first 10K! In other news, I had received an ad for a half marathon on 8/21/10 at my Turkey Trot, and I have decided to go for it. I have nine months to get ready, I'm not planning on a time goal (other than 3:30 when they kick everyone off the course), and if I have to walk part of it, that's cool. I'm just excited about getting out there and DOING it!!! I'll be using a Jeff Galloway HM training program for beginners. If I like it, who knows, there will probably be another HM in 2011 sometime...

MK - Hooray, I'm so excited to hear about your marathon! I just have a feeling you will qualify for Boston...no prob!

Momof5K - Good luck with your first 5K! I KNOW you will do great and will have an AMAZING time! I walk/jogged my very first race in September, didn't even think about my time AT ALL, and I had a blast!

Eve - Yay for new shoes!! And yeah, doing a race will definitely build your courage in doing the longer runs at the end of C25K. Can't wait to hear how the coming weeks go!

Have a great week everyone!

EveLHaelf
12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
crk, You will do AWESOME at the half marathon! I bought one of galloway's books called "Half Marathon, you can do it!"

Mk, You will be qualifyin' for Boston in no time! You rock!

Purplefirefly
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
So, are we allowed to join in here with you guys if we aren't quite off and running just yet...but will be one day? :^: I hope so because I have been following your thread for awhile now and you girls are so motivating to me. You are what gave me the courage to commit to walking a 5K in March. I have big plans for the new year...want to walk the 5K, then a 10K, then a half marathon in October. I hope it will give me the confidence to start running more by then...or maybe it will happen sooner who knows!

Anyway, I have started training for the 5K and it doesn't feel that hard, though my legs are pretty sore and achy right now :) that feels so much better than a store stomach from eating!

crk05
12-01-2009, 11:18 PM
crk, You will do AWESOME at the half marathon! I bought one of galloway's books called "Half Marathon, you can do it!"

Funny you should mention this book - that is the one I'm working out of! Great minds think alike!!

Purplefirefly - Welcome! We are happy to have you here! Sounds like you have a great plan, and I wish you all the best in your 5K, 10K, and HM training!!

MaryAnne
12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Also wondering if I might join in with you guys! Been reading through your threads and love everyone's energy and enthusiasm!
I just started running the start of October this year. Ran my first mile Oct. 27th and was dead tired afterwards but I had never in my life ran a mile so I was full of pride and I feel like I just took off from there. Monday of this week I ran for 5 miles, I am still smiling :) Tuesday I knocked my time down by 5 minutes and finished at 55 minutes that was hard but I only had 55 min to finish before I had to go home so I did it! But afterwards my hips were killing me still a bit sore today and will only do weights and bike today, let my body rest. I was on such a high that I forgot to listen to my body.
Anyways, I am thinking of entering a kilomathon it is 16 mile race here and is in March of next year. I feel like I could do it even if I have to walk here and there. But I am nervous to enter. I am still really obese but I love that for the first time in my life I can run for more than 30 seconds without gasping and play tag with my kids and not fall over dying. Anyways, so sorry to ramble hope it is ok to join in look forward to it!! Thanks for inspiring!!

EveLHaelf
12-02-2009, 06:12 AM
crk, I love that we got the same book! lol! I just skimmed thru it cuz I'm not done with c25k yet, but I noticed he suggests using something called accelerade and endurox r4. Anyone used these?

Welcome Purple and Mary! you both sound like you have great thing planned for your runs! You can do it!

MBN
12-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Welcome newbies! Absolutely, you can join in!

In my view it all counts: run the whole way, run/walk, or walk. The important thing is to get OUT there and move! Fast, slow, or turtle, it doesn't matter. What matters is just being consistent, starting from wherever you are and working up from there. Most of us won't win races; that takes time, training, and the right genetics! But we CAN participate in races, we can improve our health and our endurance, and we can have fun doing it.

Purplefirefly
12-02-2009, 08:26 AM
awww thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

I have a question...what do you all use to track your miles? I have a cheap little pedometer from Walmart but I am questioning how accurate it really is. I do have a Polar heart rate monitor but it doesn't track mileage. Suggestions?

Fat Pants
12-02-2009, 08:45 AM
awww thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

I have a question...what do you all use to track your miles? I have a cheap little pedometer from Walmart but I am questioning how accurate it really is. I do have a Polar heart rate monitor but it doesn't track mileage. Suggestions?

Welcome, Purple and MaryAnne! Someone on here once said if you have any desire, no matter how small, to run...then start! I'm glad I followed that advice, so I'll repeat it to you ladies... it has changed my life!

Purple, I am eying a Garmin Forerunner 305 (http://www.rei.com/product/735450)and will probably buy one post-Christmas. It's a GPS/heart rate monitor. They are bulky but I think it will be worth it, especially as mileage is increased. I think the big benefit will be being able to run wherever and not have to map out your miles before/after. If you want to run 3 miles, just run in one direction for 1.5 miles and then turn around and run back - this is the huge benefit of the GPS. They have a 205 version that can just track the mileage/pace but not calories burned. I believe Polar also makes a GPS device (I also have a Polar HRM and I'm definitely more interested in the mileage vs calories now!)

CakeBatter
12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Welcome Newbies....Jump right in

Purple - I use a Garmin Forerunner 305. It is a little bulky but it does job. It has a heart monitor, tracks, my miles, calories and route taken all categorized by the date and time. AWESOME

MBN - I love how you put it. You are right it all counts.

I have a short run today at tempo (3.5). Oh and I am such a friggin dork. I stayed up to 12AM 12/1 to sign up for the Monument Ave 10K in Richmond.! I have been so excited to sign up since the HM and I just couldn't help muhself!

Shannon in ATL
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Purple - which Polar HRM do you have? There is a footpod that works with some of them that can be purchased from Polar that will track mileage and sync in with the HRM. I have an F60, no footpod though. I track my mileage with a RunKeeper app for my iPhone.

This is going to be a hard month for me to run, too... I feel myself slipping into the downhill spiral already, with the weather getting cold and holiday plans I find myself already making excuses. Have to get past that! If nothing else, I have a treadmill in my garage for just this time of year. 3.25 miles last night in the garage, 1 mile on Sunday chasing my stepson on his bike, a 7 mile and a 6 mile last week. Have to build up the treadmill miles to make it out the year...

MBN
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I've used several different strategies to track my miles. When I first started running, I used a Microsoft program called "streets and trips" to map out various routes and plot the distances. There are web sites now that offer the same thing, I think one is "map my run". Later, I got one of the first GPS units for running, a bulky 2 part unit that's totally obsolete now. It WAS nice to be able to just run free and let the unit tell me how far/fast I was going. If all else fails, you can always just DRIVE your route and see what the car odometer says!

Now, I just have friends with GPS! Either I run on routes where I already know the mileage, or I'm on the TM, or I run with people who have one of the new GPS watches. My phone (the new DROID) also has an app called Cardio Trainer that will do the same thing, and it works, but it's a bit cumbersome to run with the phone!

One of these days, I may have to spring for one of those newfangled GPS thingies ...

Purplefirefly
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Okay...right now I am walking on a circular track at a park near my home. The road we live on is rural and hilly and dangerous to walk on, no sidewalks or anything here either, so the park is close and my best option. When weather is bad I open all the doors in my house and walk loops around it...not as strenuous but I can work up a sweat if I add in light jogging laps. So, planning a route is not really something I need, just to track miles while walking in a loop..and I have no idea how far one lap is on the track, it's around a soccer field though.

I have a Polar F4...so would the foot thing work with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I am looking into some of the GPS watches you all mentioned...I just feel like I'm too beginner to invest much, if that makes sense. I feel I have to "prove" myself first or something.

Fat Pants
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Okay...right now I am walking on a circular track at a park near my home. The road we live on is rural and hilly and dangerous to walk on, no sidewalks or anything here either, so the park is close and my best option. When weather is bad I open all the doors in my house and walk loops around it...not as strenuous but I can work up a sweat if I add in light jogging laps. So, planning a route is not really something I need, just to track miles while walking in a loop..and I have no idea how far one lap is on the track, it's around a soccer field though.

I have a Polar F4...so would the foot thing work with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I am looking into some of the GPS watches you all mentioned...I just feel like I'm too beginner to invest much, if that makes sense. I feel I have to "prove" myself first or something.

No idea about the Polar foot pod, but I just wanted to chime in and say I felt the same way about investing in running shoes. I was worried that I'd drop $100+ on good shoes and then give up a month later! So I totally understand waiting to invest..and something like the GPS device is a considerable investment.

momof5k
12-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Oh HERE you are! I was thinking...hmmmm I wonder how come I haven't had an email from the running thread lately. The November running thread?!? Perhaps becasue it is December! Doh!

Thanks for all the encouragement regarding my upcoming race. I am looking forward to it and really nervous all at once. Just to complicate things for me a little more, we just got out first big dump of snow and I have never run in snow before!! Oh well. As long as I do it, I'll call it a success.

I am going to try to get out and do an outdoor run tomorrow just to try it before my Saturday event. Hopefully I don't wipe out!

I also just purchased the Garmin Forerunner 305 (Costco $169!!) and I really like it! I was using the Nike+ foot pod thing and although that website is much better than the Garmin, I don't think it was particularly accurate with my mileage outside so I prefer the GPS on the Garmin. I bought it because it also has the heart rate monitor and it works great!

Purplefirefly
12-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I felt the same way about investing in running shoes. I was worried that I'd drop $100+ on good shoes and then give up a month later! So I totally understand waiting to invest..and something like the GPS device is a considerable investment.

I bought the cheapie WalMart running shoes and they feel really good for walking...I decided I will go for something better first of the new year if I really keep with my training program. i will need some good ones for the races I think.

I also just purchased the Garmin Forerunner 305 (Costco $169!!) and I really like it! I was using the Nike+ foot pod thing and although that website is much better than the Garmin, I don't think it was particularly accurate with my mileage outside so I prefer the GPS on the Garmin. I bought it because it also has the heart rate monitor and it works great!

Does the HRM use the chest strap thing? My Polar does and it rubs me raw...and it doesn't stay clasped very well so I had to tape it (that helped with rubbing as well, but hard to get it on and off now). That has me really wanting something new as well!

Purplefirefly
12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Okay, a question for you experienced racers...I am looking at the entry form for the 5K I want to walk in March, and I have to select either the Fun Walk or Race Walk. they are both 5k and go at the same time and fee is the same, so should I just go as fun the first time? I don't know that I could really be competitive for the race right now :lol: so feel silly entering the actual race! What do you guys think?

mkroyer
12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Purple- i wonder if the difference between the "fun" and the "race" is whether or noty ou get officially timed...... is that important to you?? If you WANT to be timed then go for race ( again, this is what i am guesing)...

Boy guys, i picked a GREAT week here in denver to tone down my running (although i am going crazy).. it was 6 degrees this morning, and will be tomorrow and the next day...etc......... Its not the cold so much, just the layer of ICE that cant melt becuz its not getting warm enough during the day!!

mkroyer
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
down with TREADMILLS!!!!

Fat Pants
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Purple - I too had the walking shoes for the first 3 or 4 months of running, and then figured I would stick with it long enough to invest in running shoes. Proper shoes really do make all the difference!

MK - I decided yesterday that if not running in 15 degree temps means I'm a wimp, then so be it! :lol: It is just downright FRIGID! I've been actually having fun on the treadmill with various speed work, but I'm ready for a warmer day so I can get a 7 miler in (groan).

So I have some exciting news. I registered for my half marathon last night! :D :carrot: :broc: :D Will be doing the Ft Collins half marathon, it's all downhill, how bad can it be...right? LOL

mkroyer
12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
fat- i did that half marathon last year!! First weekend in May, right?
I was thinking about doing the full this year, but ONLY if i dont qualify for Boston in Salt Lake (downhill, right?)

It wont actually FEEL downhill, BTW, but it doesnt ever really feel uphill, either, unlike Georgetown to Idaho Springs, which DOES feel like it has a lot of uphill, even though the net LOSS is over 1000 ft elevation. ANYWAY, the only problem i have with the FAT collins half is the way they make you shuttle to the start really REALLY early, and its really REALLY cold!! Plus there is negligible crowd support (which is really important, to me personally).
How exciting!! First half!! WAHOOS!!
and its not the FRIGID-- like i said, its the ICE i cant see.....not worth an injury, ya know?? Youd be suprised at how warm even 6 degrees feels when youre running ;)
BTW- looked at your blog!! Its fantastic---YOU WEAR MAKEUP TO YOUR RACES????? :) WOW, i dont even shower or brushe my hair or teeth for three day before hand!!!

MBN
12-03-2009, 01:53 PM
BTW- looked at your blog!! Its fantastic---YOU WEAR MAKEUP TO YOUR RACES????? :) WOW, i dont even shower or brushe my hair or teeth for three day before hand!!!
:rofl:
Seriously, how does the makeup stay on?? I'm a sweaty mess when I get done! If I tried to wear makeup I'd look like a sweaty racoon. :D

My hat's off to y'all who live in frigid climates. I can't imagine having to cope with below-freezing temps and running! :brr:

Purple: I'll bet MK is right and the fun walk is likely untimed. You wouldn't have to hassle with a timing chip (or strip) and there would be no "race" pressure. Racewalking has a specialized stride and those guys can be FAST! In my early running days, the racewalkers would go faster than I could run!! There are special "racewalking" rules about keeping one foot on the ground at all times. If you jog at any point, then you are running, not racewalking. If you aren't sure what you want to do, you can always call the race organizer and ask, I'm sure they could give you more information.

Fat Pants
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
fat- i did that half marathon last year!! First weekend in May, right?
I was thinking about doing the full this year, but ONLY if i dont qualify for Boston in Salt Lake (downhill, right?)

It wont actually FEEL downhill, BTW, but it doesnt ever really feel uphill, either, unlike Georgetown to Idaho Springs, which DOES feel like it has a lot of uphill, even though the net LOSS is over 1000 ft elevation. ANYWAY, the only problem i have with the FAT collins half is the way they make you shuttle to the start really REALLY early, and its really REALLY cold!! Plus there is negligible crowd support (which is really important, to me personally).
How exciting!! First half!! WAHOOS!!
and its not the FRIGID-- like i said, its the ICE i cant see.....not worth an injury, ya know?? Youd be suprised at how warm even 6 degrees feels when youre running ;)

That's kind of what I figured - looking at the elevation profile. It looks a bit like the Longmont Turkey Trot in terms of the downhill slope... you know that it's easier but the elevation loss is so slight that you're not exactly staring at a downhill slope. And then when you go uphill, you know it's harder but not like the dang hills I have around my neighborhood. At least this is what I'm telling myself. LOL

YES -I saw the 7am start time for the HM and 6am for the M! :yikes: What the heck, like anyone is doing anything else in Ft Collins that day besides tipping cows. Personally I don't like waiting around for a long time before races. Just gives me more time to think and get worked up.

Um, yes, I do wear makeup to my races, how silly is that? My DH makes fun of me LOL. I don't know why, I just always have to have makeup on. The only place I'll go w/o makeup is to Walmart, but then I figure I still look better than half the people in there :lol:

Fat Pants
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
:rofl:
Seriously, how does the makeup stay on?? I'm a sweaty mess when I get done! If I tried to wear makeup I'd look like a sweaty racoon. :D

LOL ok... I only use MAC (http://www.maccosmetics.com)makeup. I had a MAC artist do my makeup for my wedding and have been hooked ever since. I have a gel eyeliner that DOES NOT COME OFF, even in the shower - you have to use eye removal stuff to get that sucker off.

Also, please notice I don't have many (if any) photos from post-race. Ha!

And please! I am running 5ks, not half marys or marathons! I hardly work up a sweat with those anymore. :rofl:

loquaciousjogger
12-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey everyone! I haven't been posting here, but I've been working at my weight-loss goal. I've been working out everyday (besides yesterday because I was really sore from weights!) and running. I haven't been doing distance lately though I've had some really great sprints! :)

mkroyer
12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
FAT- the 7 am start means you have to catch the requred shuttle at like 5 am
i did it last year.
it sucked

IM SORRY!! Im not trying to rain on your HM Parade.....i was just trying to recall pros/cons of running that race!! Theres only ONE short section where you even FEEL like you are going up hill, as i recall, which is GREAT!

Fat Pants
12-03-2009, 03:45 PM
FAT- the 7 am start means you have to catch the requred shuttle at like 5 am
i did it last year.
it sucked

IM SORRY!! Im not trying to rain on your HM Parade.....i was just trying to recall pros/cons of running that race!! Theres only ONE short section where you even FEEL like you are going up hill, as i recall, which is GREAT!

LOL no worries! Did you stay at a hotel in town the night before? I'm thinking that's what we'll have to do. My in-laws live in Brighton but that's still 1.5 hrs away from FoCo. I don't foresee me getting up at 3 a.m. to drive from their house.

mkroyer
12-03-2009, 04:48 PM
yay
we got a hotel..... one of the ones associated with the race ( NOT the hilton) so we got a discount. Maybe ramada?? the good thing about staying at a hotel associted with the race is that they provided a shuttle TO the Shuttles!!

Primm
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I hurt my achilles yesterday. All the research I've done says absolutely no running until it's pretty much healed. I'm seeing my pod today though, and getting new shoes (old ones are too big from my weight loss, I think that contributed to the problem).

I still woke up at 4am, and am bored and itching to go for a run. Who knew this could be so addictive?

Purplefirefly
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes, it looks like the walkers at this race go FAST, at least fast compared to me right now :lol: the website lists last year results...winning race walker did the 5K in 33:08.1. The slowest person took just over an hour, so I know I can at least beat him (I hope :o )

The winning runner came in at 19:19.77 (female) and 16 something for the top male.

I will just be a fun walker this time around :cool: that's okay with me.

Purplefirefly
12-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I hurt my achilles yesterday. All the research I've done says absolutely no running until it's pretty much healed.

I still woke up at 4am, and am bored and itching to go for a run. Who knew this could be so addictive?

I hope to be addicted one day, right now it's just hard....hard but feels good in the end, surprisingly (walking, not running just yet). I also hope you heal very quick and can get back out there where you belong.

yay
we got a hotel..... one of the ones associated with the race ( NOT the hilton) so we got a discount. Maybe ramada?? the good thing about staying at a hotel associted with the race is that they provided a shuttle TO the Shuttles!!

Do you go by yourself? I'm hoping to convince my hubby to go with me to mine and I want to put my little boy in the kid's race, i think he'd like it. i wondered though if some people go on their own, as I may have to.

crk05
12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Yes, it looks like the walkers at this race go FAST, at least fast compared to me right now :lol: the website lists last year results...winning race walker did the 5K in 33:08.1. The slowest person took just over an hour, so I know I can at least beat him (I hope :o )

The winning runner came in at 19:19.77 (female) and 16 something for the top male.

I will just be a fun walker this time around :cool: that's okay with me.

33:08! Yowza, that is some FAST walking! That is faster than I jogged my first 5K! :?:

MBN
12-04-2009, 06:51 AM
33:08! Yowza, that is some FAST walking! That is faster than I jogged my first 5K! :?:
World class racewalkers can do 7-8 min miles!! But to achieve that, they have to have a very quick pace and racewalking looks awkward and kind of painful to me! I'd rather jog, it seems much more natural.

Primm - I hope you heal quickly! Yes, this running thing IS addictive.

MK - is the running going better now that you've taken a bit of a break?

I've got a busy weekend ahead: TWO parties today, one tomorrow. I plan to do an easy 5 miler tomorrow morning (as usual) and then am shooting for 18 on Sunday morning. My marathon-training friends are scheduled for 22, so we are starting at 4 am. Even though I'm only training for halfs, I've been gradually trying to increase my long run, to see how the knees hold up. I've done several 16 milers, so now I want to step up. So far, so good. If I can make it to 20 miles without problems, then, maybe (possibly), I might CONSIDER training for a full marathon next year. I'm a little gun-shy, because my first full marathon experience (back in 2004) wasn't very positive and the training just about killed. It was too much for me at the time. But, I'm in a totally different place physically now AND I'm training with a group (I went solo the first time), so we'll see .... I really do like halfs, they are just no pressure to complete.

Purplefirefly
12-04-2009, 07:36 AM
World class racewalkers can do 7-8 min miles!! But to achieve that, they have to have a very quick pace and racewalking looks awkward and kind of painful to me! I'd rather jog, it seems much more natural.

I have tried racewalking but I kept breaking out into a jog, the walking that fast actually burned and hurt more than just running, so I think I will build up my natural walking pace and then start running instead. I was just amazed at how fast they can go walking though!

Fat Pants
12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
7-8 mm??? That's faster than I can run! :dizzy:

MBN - if I remember correctly, you did your marathon with the 10 min run/1 min walk strategy, right? How do you think that worked for you? There is a training group here that does the 4 min run/1 min walk Jeff Galloway (I think) plan. Not sure how I feel about it or if I'd rather just run and judge my walk breaks as needed.

Primm - hope you heel quickly!

MK - thanks for the tips. I'm glad you're on here, I would never know to do these things! :D

mkroyer
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Youre Welcome, Fat!!
One more thing to note, i see you mentioned a running group (the 4 mi run/walkers)..are you thinking about for MArathon Training?
Heres the-- some people REALLY NEED to be part of a running/training group to finish marathon training. Training for a marathon is VERY LONELY, when you do it solo. You have to consider if you are going to be able to handle very long/lonely hours spent doing long runs........were taling 3 to 4 + hour runs by yourself.......

MBN-- im actually freaking out. I have this pent up energy that is just about boiling o ver from not being able to run outside all week!! IM FREAKING OUT :) I told myslef last night that i would do 8 miles this morning outsde, no matter what! Then when i got up (at 3 am), the temperature was NEGATIVE 10 DEGREES. I woulda ran if it had been just above 5, i was so desparate! GRRRRrrrrrr.......... DOWN WITH TREADMILLS

Fat Pants
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Youre Welcome, Fat!!
One more thing to note, i see you mentioned a running group (the 4 mi run/walkers)..are you thinking about for MArathon Training?
Heres the-- some people REALLY NEED to be part of a running/training group to finish marathon training. Training for a marathon is VERY LONELY, when you do it solo. You have to consider if you are going to be able to handle very long/lonely hours spent doing long runs........were taling 3 to 4 + hour runs by yourself.......

Yep - probably going to do the Mountain Air Marathon in September if the half marathon goes well. I don't know if it is too much too soon, but DH and I keep talking about having kids and I want to get this stuff knocked out next year before I get knocked up, know what I mean?

I think a running group will keep me motivated AND keep me from wimping out. If I run with other people I will be like, well crap I can't quit now, everyone is watching! :lol: I joined the Pikes Peak Road Runners at my last race and this group is associated with them - they do "long runs" anywhere between 6-15 miles on Saturday mornings and use the Jeff Galloway plan. I will probably start up with them in January or February. I should start up in January so I can practice for the Snowman Stampede 10M. :D

mkroyer
12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Im starting to have serious doubts about training for a marathon in the winter around here.....

mkroyer
12-05-2009, 08:15 AM
ok!! It is 6 am!!! it is 14 degrees! i AM RUNNING OUTSIDE TODAY!! WAHOOS!!! Just waiting for the sun to come up so i can SEE the icy patches!! Want to do 20, will end up doing around 10..... (time constraints, and its DAMN COLD OUT) Hope everyone gets their runs in!!

and i am doing this run slow, slow SLOW........... AaAAhhhhhhh........... maybe a 9 min mi?? then again i havent ran outside all week-- i might not be able to contain myelef and hold back!!

mkroyer
12-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Fat-- it IS alot, VERY SOON..... you should prob have a year of running consistently (ie; 20-35 mi a week) before you start marathon training. On the other hand-- lifes too short!!!! GO FOR IT!! You know, listening to your body and all...... i suppose if you really struggle during the half, maybe you arent ready for a full( a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLPARK, BTW).... I think youll absolutely LOVE the half!!!
But promise me as you keep training, youll keep in mind how very hard youre being on your body.....Marathoning is not easy, and once you get your mileage way up, you will probably not be losing weight anymore (most people are NOT able to lose weight marathon training---if youre treating yourself well, and giving your body the nutirents it needs, of course!!)

momof5k
12-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Well today is the day...and it is -19 degrees Celcius!! ARGH!

Wish me luck :)

EveLHaelf
12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Good luck momof5k!

crk05
12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Mom of 5K! Good Luck today!!! I'll be thinking of you!!

:brr:

PS - Stay warm!

blueridgegirl
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

I had the same brain fart of not knowing why I couldn't find the November running thread until I figured out that it was December. I was away for 6 days and didn't run during those days but did exercise - lots of walking, and three trips to the gym for a cardio/strength, yoga and pilates classes. Kind of fun to mix things up for a change, but I was happy to get back on the treadmill yesterday and do my usual 5k. BTW, didn't gain weight in Boston which was great. I had done some planning ahead which helped me to stay on track. So combining Thanksgiving and a six day trip and I maintained - pretty pleased with that!

I am still mixing running and walking, but now when I do my walk breaks I crank the incline to 4.0-6.0 or so which helps to keep it challenges but still gives me something of a break. When I have a more flexible schedule during the holiday break I will do some outdoor running at this point, but right now with it getting dark so early I think it's the treadmill for me for a bit longer. Since I live in the blue ridge mountains, I'm not worried about being discovered by a mugger, but rather by a black bear on an evening excursion....yes, I think I'll take the safety of the treadmill for a bit longer!

Mom of 5k - break a leg today!
Fat - I'm so impressed you're thinking of marathon training. WOW!
Everybody else - keep up the great work, despite the cold!

julesp313
12-06-2009, 12:26 AM
I'd like to jump in here as well - I read some of the November thread and figured this was a good time to join in. I'm a recreational runner but I've done a few 5k's - I'm slow but I like to "race" to have something to work towards. I have runner's knee, which I think is a bit of a catch-all diagnosis for being overweight and straining the joints, but I do have to watch the knees - ice and massage is my friend. :)

I miss running outside now that it's dark - I like to workout before work, but at 5:15am, it's pitch black (and chilly!) so I'm in the gym instead, and quite frankly treadmill running is like water torture to me. I know I need to get over it and find a way to make it bearable but I detest it. I love running outside so I'm still doing that twice a week on weekends when I don't have to get outside til 7am (and it's just above freezing then!).

I'm determined this will be the year to step up the distances and I'd like to clock at least one 10k and preferably a half marathon by the end of 2010. I live in Vegas, and the Vegas marathon is tomorrow so I thought - perfect, I'll start working towards the 2010 half marathon tomorrow! A year should be enough time to get my mileage up and get my knees in shape... I'm going to just focus on consistent runs for now, then when the weather improves and lighter mornings return, I'll start working on training rather than just running.

Any advice for a half marathon program is most welcome - I will probably check out what the library has to offer but if you have any books or websites that you highly recommend, I'd love to hear about them.

momof5k
12-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Well my run went GREAT this morning! I went with the intention of merely finishing... and secretly hoping I would finally break under 40 minutes. I planned to take a few walk breaks but hadn't quite made up my mind regarding how often or when so I decided to just wing it.

Now, I have not run much outdoors, I have never run in the winter and, believe it or not, all of the outdoor runs I have done have been in the dark (it is dark here by 4:30 this time of year) so this was my first ever event, my first time running on snow and ice, my first time running anywhere but my neighborhood and my first daylight run. Yikes!

And....It was SO MUCH FUN!! I ended up running the entire thing (NO walk breaks!!) and did it in 37:15!! Not a great time for a lot of you but a good one for me. I am thrilled...and rather hooked :) Can't wait to get out there and do it again!

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragment! It made such a difference. After about mile 2 I was thinking "am I really going to be able to write a post that says I ran the entire thing?!?" and so I did it! Thanks all!

mkroyer
12-06-2009, 09:51 AM
BIG CONGRATS Momof5k!! You rocked that 5K!! Now youre hooked just like the rest of us......welcome to the insanity ;)

Julesp--Welcome, and i think a half marathon in one year is very VERY doable. Some of us here went to run OUR first halfs on less time than that. I have 2 program suggestions for you....i believe you can get BOTH of them for freee off the internet. If you think you might PLAN to run/walk (which is very respectable program-- its something like run 1 mile walk 1 min) than check out Jeff Galloways half marathon training program (i THINK you can find this one free online) otherwise, a lot of us here have very successfully used Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathin training program, which is DEFINITELY free and you can get it online. For right bow, my best advice to you is to work on getting your weekly base mileage up as CLOSE to 20 -25 mi/wk as you can, over the next several months. Come summer you will have a great base milaege and your body will be better adapted for when it is time to start training.

Good luck! Youve come to the right place

crk05
12-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Happy Sunday everyone! It's a bea-you-tiful day here! COLD but sunny, and I'm in such a great mood! I did a four mile run this morning, my longest to date, and it was amazing! I just feel so energized now. I feel like I'm all ready to go for my Jingle Bells Run 5K on Saturday. Last race of the year!!

Momof5K - Woooohoooo! Congrats on having such an amazing race! It sounds like you had a BLAST and the time is something to be very proud of. Racing can get quite addicting, as I discovered pretty much immediately after I did my first one! Anyway, congrats again!!

Julesp - Welcome! I have a lot of similar goals to you. I've done a few shorter races, like two miles, 5K, and am working to step up my distances in 2010. I have a 10K in March and my first HM in August. I am using Jeff Galloway's half marathon training plan, which I got out of one of his running books. I think he may have it posted on his website too (for free). It does integrate walk breaks into the running, e.g. you might run 3 minutes, walk 1 throughout the distance. I don't know what your plans are, but his method is working out great for me. Challenging, but not too much! I've heard good things about Hal Higdon too. Good luck to you as you embark on your training journey!!

Blueridge - Good work on all the exercise you've been doing! I like the idea of using the incline during walk breaks...I may have to try that to give myself a little extra challenge. I am on the treadmill more or less until spring now. The Wisconsin cold just isn't my friend, and during the week anytime I could get outside, it would be dark out there! Scary!

Purplefirefly
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't know if it is too much too soon, but DH and I keep talking about having kids and I want to get this stuff knocked out next year before I get knocked up, know what I mean?

Sounds kinda like a pre-kids bucket list :) wish I had done that.

And....It was SO MUCH FUN!! I ended up running the entire thing (NO walk breaks!!) and did it in 37:15!! Not a great time for a lot of you but a good one for me. I am thrilled...and rather hooked :) Can't wait to get out there and do it again!

After about mile 2 I was thinking "am I really going to be able to write a post that says I ran the entire thing?!?" and so I did it! Thanks all!

:bravo: YAHOOOOOO I am so proud of you :cp: now, looks like you already have the next one planned...you are addicted!

medinazarley
12-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey all, i was wondering if I could join in?

I have just started getting serious about losing weight, and i have been infatuated with the idea of running for a long time. I am planning on registering for the Rite Aid Cleveland HM in the middle of may, and worse come to worse i will walk.

i have not run outdoors yet, but I am planning on running Tuesday instead of doing my cardio dvd. i have a small support group here at home, but you all are so inspirational! being 5'10" i have always been told i was built to run, and i think this might be the key to staying on program.

momof5k, congrats on your run!

ryan Z.

Purplefirefly
12-07-2009, 07:07 AM
I am going to the track today....:carrot: I have been craving it and dying to get out there and stop walking circles around the house but I had sick kids home all last week...but this week everyone is healthy and I AM GOING OUT THERE EVERY DAY, I don't care if I have to do it in the rain, I'm doing it :) I would always think I couldn't go if it was raining until I met you warriors out there running through snow and on sheets of ice, surely I can get rained on :lol:

Oh, and I would always stay home before thinking it was too cold but after hearing the temps some of ya'll go out in, I know my 30 degrees this morning is not an excuse!

So...off to get all bundled up, going to drop kids at school and head straight to the track.

MBN
12-07-2009, 07:50 AM
MBN - if I remember correctly, you did your marathon with the 10 min run/1 min walk strategy, right? How do you think that worked for you? There is a training group here that does the 4 min run/1 min walk Jeff Galloway (I think) plan. Not sure how I feel about it or if I'd rather just run and judge my walk breaks as needed.
FatPants - yes, you remember correctly. When I first started out with distance running, I followed the Galloway philosphy. It was the only way I could go that far, there's no way I could have sustained a running pace for that distance at that time. The 10/1 pace worked well for me, but my jog was relatively slow. My overall pace was around 12 min/mile. I found the structure to be helpful - and psychologically turns walking from a "failure" into a strategy. I did half marathons and a full marathon that way. Although, toward the end of my races, when I got tired, I ended up walking longer than a minute. But, my only goal then was just to finish!! The time was irrelevent.

As I continued to train and lost weight, I eventually reached a point where I simply didn't need the structured walk breaks any more. But I STILL take occasional walk breaks, even in my races, for hydration. I think it gives my legs a break and I really don't lose time because I make it up when I start running again. So many people view walking as somehow less valid than running, but I don't see it that way at all. You are still moving forward toward that goal. Who cares how long it takes? One of my favorite books is "No Need for Speed" by Jeff Bingham. He describes the journey from couch potato to "adult onset" athlete. His favorite quote is something like "the miracle is not that that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start". For me, it's all about enjoying the process and reaping the benefits of participation. OK, that's my philosophical ramble for the day. ;)

I also highly encourage training for long races with a group. You get the benefit of others' experience, you make great friends, and it makes those long runs a whole lot more bearable. I did an 18 miler yesterday morning, and it went SO much better with my running friends. I don't think about the distance, we just jog and chat and eventually the miles go by. On my own, I think too much about how tired I am!

Momof5K - nicely done!! Congratulations!!!

julesp313 & medinazarley - welcome! There are some great beginner training resources at www.runnersworld.com, www.halhigdon.com, and www.jeffgalloway.com.

I'm still glad I don't have to run in the cold! Yikes!

Purplefirefly
12-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Okay, I walked 3.1 miles this morning just to get a starting time...and it took me 75 minutes :eek: I am a lot slower than I thought, but I didn't feel tired or wiped out in the end and could have even kept going, so I think that is a good sign. I feel really good and pumped right now.

I would like to be around 50 minutes before my 5K on March 6. We'll see.

Oh, and I got to watch the grass slowly go from solid white with frost to green and some birds came to join me toward the end, so I enjoyed myself.

mkroyer
12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
GGGRRrrrr.... AGAIN with the Negaive temps this am!!! this is DENVER for gosh darned sake--- NOT canada!! (that was my shout out to our Canadian runners....) :)
Ranon the treadmill again. 6 miles total. Did a hill/interval workout. 10 X 400 meters at a 5% Incline, at my "boston" marathon pace (8:13 min/mile) with 1 min 30 sec rest interval in between the hills (also ran at marathon pace, just no incline). Im over this treadmill thing. Managed to get in a little over 10 this weekend outside, when it was a positively BALMEY 15 degrees!! Tomorrow is supposed to be negative again, but then weds it warms up to having lows in the teens, so i will be back outside come weds!! Wahoos!!

Planning on running 22 mi this weekend with a couple other people. im not at all used to doing long runs with others, but we will be going at their pace (approx a 10 min mile). I havent run more than 15 miles since my marathon in Oct. If i can get in just 2 20+ milers before the beginning of January, then i am going to go down to Phoenix for the Rock N Roll Marathon on January 17th!! Just for fun...no time goals (i havnet been training, afterall)

How did everyone else do this weekend??

MaryAnne
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Fantastic job Momof5k!!

Purple, good job today!!

welcome julesp313 & medinazarley!!

blueridge, I like to do the inclines also good for you!!
Fatpants I would love to have a running group also, I think it would keep me more motivated!

mkroyer!! Wow you are a fast runner!! I have to ask but do you have long legs? I just can't imagine my short stubby legs running that fast!! Wowie!! sorry it has been so frigid for you!! It is wet and rainy here so I am stuck on the treadmill. But good for all of us getting it all in no matter what!! 22 miles you go!! I look forward to having that kind of endurance!!!

Well, saturday I ran 6.2miles in 1hour 11 min exactly! So proud of myself!! I only was able to get 4 miles in this morning so I have to get back out when my husband gets home, I hate his work schedule!! I used yesterday as my high calorie day for the week am recovering from it still my high calorie is 1700 but since i started running I feel so much more hungry!! But I am retaining again today, I am so tired of retaining water!! But I know exactly when and why so I just keep pushing through my thighs have finally gotten a bit smaller can now get my 14s up to my waist and just barley zip them up!! Hoping to run at least 4 more miles tonight we will see!! Have a great day everyone!!

Shannon in ATL
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Last week was a bad one for me on the running front... Life and the weather got in the way of getting to the park, and I just didn't make it happen on the treadmill. Did 5.5 miles for the entire week. Have to get back on track...

Have a great day everyone!

mkroyer
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
MaryAnne-

i actually have the shortest stubbiest legs EVER! :) Speed comes with practice, and weightloss....thats it!!

blueridgegirl
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Momof5k - WOOHOO! Congrats on running the whole thing and getting it done in less than 40 minutes.

Purple - congrats on walking the whole 3.1! I remember how excited I was the first time I hit that distance. Keep up the good work and you will feel yourself getting stronger.

I won a session with a personal trainer at a new gym in town so I went there this morning doing strength and interval stuff. It was fun and I could tell the trainer was surprised I was as strong and flexible as I am. He kept having to give me dumbbells that were heavier and heavier. I may be over 200 pounds still, but am definitely pretty fit, which is exciting. Nice to have a bit of direction since I've just been making it up as go based on what I read here on 3FC and find in magazines, websites, etc. After meeting with the trainer I did an hour Nia class which was great. Cold weather is not going to get in the way of my workouts!

Keep up the great work everybody!

Purplefirefly
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
If i can get in just 2 20+ milers before the beginning of January, then i am going to go down to Phoenix for the Rock N Roll Marathon on January 17th!! Just for fun...no time goals (i havnet been training, afterall)

WOW...you are talking about doing a marathon just for fun...do you realize how amazing that is? Inspiring and amazing.

julesp313
12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and the information. I'll definitely check out the online programs and look into books - never hurts to have multiple sources of information. Having just watched the Vegas marathon yesterday, I'm not sure I want to do it now - it was 27 degrees at the start! I live in Vegas and it usually isn't quite that chilly for the marathon weekend, but man - I hope people were prepared for it! I had to fly to San Diego yesterday for work and there were a lot of runners on the flight, all clutching their goodie bags - I was impressed how many people came into town for the event.

I think there is a local half marathon in May but I think that's too soon for me - I'm heading into my busy season at work and I won't be able to train as much as I would think necessary. However, I think that half also has a 10k with it, so that may be my initial goal. I'd really love to do the St. George (Utah) marathon in October but I don't know if I can mentally face the idea of a full one this coming year - that may be a goal for my 40th birthday in two years instead!

As much as I like the idea of the walk/run method, I find it really hard to run once I've walked. I wonder if this is just something I need to get my body used to? It's like my legs feel really heavy and I just don't want to run again. That's even if I run for five minutes and then walk. But I can run for about 40 minutes non-stop before I start to think this wasn't such a good idea! I'm around an 11 minute mile when I do that, and it's always on hills because my neighborhood literally has NO flat streets. I should probably try and find a track so I can do some flat work and see if that helps the walking breaks.

And as a side note - as much as I hate treadmill running, I actually can't run on the treadmills here at the hotel because they are so completely unstable, I nearly fell on my ample butt this morning! Won't be trying that again - I'll stick to incline walking and the elliptical! :)

medinazarley
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
So today i did day one of the coolrunning couch to 5k program (I had to put off running a couple weeks because i have a history of sports injuries) and it went great! I finished the whole thing in 30 minutes including warm up and cool down, and made it 1.5 miles in that time frame. Not bad for a beginner?? running in the cold gave me the hiccups though. next c25k workout on wednesday.

mkroyer
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
you guys, i would love to post more, unfortunately the sub-zero temps and ice/snow have prevented me from having anything to post about!! DOWN WITH TREADMILLS
:)

I must live vicariously thru you all!! Please, keep the running updates coming!!!

mkroyer
12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Purple-- thank you!! it IS Amazing (read: crazy) to consider doing marathons just for fun!!

I worked and trained so long and hard for my october marathon that i dont EVER want to lose the ability to run long!

julesp313
12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I had some time over lunch to check out local races in 2010. I'm hoping to do a few 5k's as I know I can run three miles reasonably easily, then at least one 10k but preferably a couple, and hopefully a half marathon. The first 10k I can find is in May, there's another in June, and then nothing til the fall because running in Vegas in the summer is not really a good idea! Though there is a race called "Running with the devil" that's got a 100 miler, 50 miler, marathon, 10k and 5k. I did the 5k last year and man - that was hot, even at 6am. And it's a very hilly course - the entire 5k was rolling hills (short but even so - hills!). They do the same race in January, called Running from an Angel, so I'd be curious to do the 5k in January and see if my time came down much. Probably not as I haven't been running much!

Anyway - stop rambling. So instead of resolutions, I'm making goals - 10k in May, half marathon in October. And at least three 5k's during the year.

Fat Pants
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
you guys, i would love to post more, unfortunately the sub-zero temps and ice/snow have prevented me from having anything to post about!! DOWN WITH TREADMILLS
:)

I must live vicariously thru you all!! Please, keep the running updates coming!!!

Um yeah the -23 degree windchill coupled with the 40mph wind is just a LITTLE ridiculous!!!! I about got frostbite running to the mailbox! :brr:

Purplefirefly
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Jules--I think race goals may actually work out better than weight goals...the weight should come out as you are training and you will stay focused.

So...I have determined the races i want to walk through the year and have decided to try running the last one...it's only a 3.5K and I will have time to do C25K all the way through plus repeat some weeks as needed before then (it is on new years, starting at midnight). It is sounds amazing...running through Christmas lights then they let off fireworks so you see those and all the lights.

Anyway, I keep thinking I can't really do this, but I know I CAN. 1.5 miles today, then kept going because I was enjoying myself :)

SGeranium
12-09-2009, 02:15 AM
so today I found out that running in 20 degree weather is a world of difference than 35 degree weather. I think my lung capacity was reduced by half. I came as close as I've ever come to throwing up after I was done. Weird. My Dh had a similar experience on his run as well. Fortunately sub freezing temps are fairly uncommon . Hats off to you Colorado / Canadian ladies .

Purplefirefly
12-09-2009, 06:27 AM
My plan just calls for strength training today and I'm glad...I'm a bit sore and achy in that good kinda way ;) at least my body knows I'm doing something different here.

MBN
12-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I worked and trained so long and hard for my october marathon that i dont EVER want to lose the ability to run long!
I hear ya. I have found (to my sorrow) that it is MUCH easier to maintain one's base than rebuild it!! My running group stayed at a 12 mile long run base all summer (our off-season) and it has made a huge difference in our fall/winter ramp up. In previous years, we had dropped back to 6-9. It has been much easier to increase from 12, and everyone is PR-ing (or close to it) in our initial races. Keeping the long runs up, I think, has been the major factor.

It boggles my mind that *I* can go out and do a 12 mile long run like it's nuthin'. Just another day. A few years ago, if you had told me that, I'd have thought you were nuts! :D I remember when I couldn't run for 5 minutes straight without thinking I was gonna die. And I'm old, so if I can do it, ANYONE can!

My next HM is Sunday ... I'm hoping for cooler weather! While other areas have been getting hammered with snow and blizzards, we are ... yup ... unseasonably warm! It's forecast to get to 86 today - what is UP with that?! It's freakin' December! Although, seriously, I'll take the heat (even the summer heat) over the frigid stuff some of y'all are getting now. I'll get my taste of the cold when I go Indiana-running over the Christmas holidays!

crk05
12-09-2009, 09:34 AM
MBN - 86!!! I'm jealous! This is one of those times when I miss living in Central FL. Today we are snowed in! :shocksn:

My running had to kind of go on hiatus for a couple of days because the weather has been so bad. We had the snowstorm of the century (well, not quite...but bad) and even driving the 0.75 miles to the gym seems a bit much! And walking it, NO thanks! I've been doing workouts at home for the last day or two, and hopefully if they get the roads cleared up enough for tomorrow, I can head out and go for a run. I miss it!! I also have a 5K on Saturday so would love to get one more practice run in before that.

Purplefirefly
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
It boggles my mind that *I* can go out and do a 12 mile long run like it's nuthin'. Just another day. A few years ago, if you had told me that, I'd have thought you were nuts! :D I remember when I couldn't run for 5 minutes straight without thinking I was gonna die. And I'm old, so if I can do it, ANYONE can!

I am glad you posted that. I have been doubting that i can do this, so it helps to hear others who I admire once felt the same way.

momof5k
12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I am glad you posted that. I have been doubting that i can do this, so it helps to hear others who I admire once felt the same way.

Ditto!!

Fat Pants
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Purple and Mom - I remember that doubt very well, especially in the beginning. Heck I even remember thinking that during my first 5k! lol! It does get easier. I think I hated running for probably the first 6-7 weeks -I kept thinking, WHY do people do this to themselves?? - and then it just kind of clicked and I fell in love with it. My improvements came in spurts... it was never a continuous improvement. But when you hit those milestones, it really helps motivate you to keep pushing yourself.

mkroyer
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Fat- couldnt agree more about the improvements coming in spurts!! for me, the spurts occured whenever i woulfd break thru some sort of mental barrier that had been holding me back--whether it was a DISTANCE barrier ( ie; i could never un as far as THAT!) or a Speed barrier ( i will never be THAT fast) or a physical limitation barrier. One day you tell that voice to shut up, or you decide to stop living in FEAR of possibly being uncomfortable becuz you are pushing yourself..... and it clicks!! A spurt! the next level, whatever!!!!

Weve ALL BEEN THERE ladies!!!

Fat Pants
12-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Fat- couldnt agree more about the improvements coming in spurts!! for me, the spurts occured whenever i woulfd break thru some sort of mental barrier that had been holding me back--whether it was a DISTANCE barrier ( ie; i could never un as far as THAT!) or a Speed barrier ( i will never be THAT fast) or a physical limitation barrier. One day you tell that voice to shut up, or you decide to stop living in FEAR of possibly being uncomfortable becuz you are pushing yourself..... and it clicks!! A spurt! the next level, whatever!!!!

Weve ALL BEEN THERE ladies!!!

Definitely! In the first 6 months of running those milestones are what kept me going when I felt like giving up. Just when I would feel like I wasn't getting anywhere or was still struggling with a particular distance/time/even a hill, I would conquer it. It's like your spirit is renewed just when you felt like giving up or were having doubts about whether or not you could do this! The bottom line is, the commitment to doing the hard work always pays off!

I know for me, as a formerly obese person, the idea of being physically uncomfortable or having to work very hard at something is sometimes scary or at the very least, not really something I was happy to do. I remember the frustration with my obesity very well when it came to running.... lol, the first week I ran, I felt like I needed Spanx for my belly because it jiggled so much! :lol:

Honestly now when I'm whining through a run or I am having trouble pushing myself, MK's quote in her signature comes to mind - get comfortable being uncomfortable. We aren't Kenyans... running will very difficult at times! We have to push ourselves to reap the benefits and get the rewards.

Now I've just motivated myself to run at the gym today. ha!

medinazarley
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
So I was planning to do couch to 5k mon, wed & fri, and do videos on tues & thursday, but today the wind was so redicuous here! its frigid, 28, feels like 18, wind gusts up to 37 mph. so I did a 30 min jilliam micheals video today, and will run tomorrow. I have never wanted to run before!

Purplefirefly
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the awesome posting on meeting goals, striving, pushing yourself, and being uncomfortable. I am not comfortable in uncomfortable situations, but I am getting better!I can't wait for the first milestone :hug: I am so glad to have found you guys.

I did an hour of strength training today and now my arms feel as achy as my legs :lol: it's okay though...discomfort will help in the end.

MBN
12-10-2009, 05:18 AM
Fat Pants (when are you going to change your handle? ;)), I think you make a very important point about embracing being uncomfortable. That's my theory about why so many people hate/avoid exercise in general. The *feelings* of exertion - sweating, breathing hard, increased heart rate - are very similar to the feelings associated with stress. For people who aren't used to exercise, it just feels wrong or negative. Couple that with sore muscles and the fact that results don't come immediately (and folks tend to overdo initially), it's no wonder that people just give up. They only see the pain, not the payoff.

However, if you persist past the initial phases, eventually several things happen. Exercise gets easier as you become more fit. The "uncomfortable" feelings start to seem more normal. You eventually get to the point where you are working out hard and long enough to get that endorphin high. You start to feel GREAT after working out. You want more of that. You push harder, see more improvements. Now it's fun. Sweating and breathing hard and pushing past your limits is a GOOD feeling. Exercise stops being an awful chore and is now the highlight of your day, time just for you, an uplifting experience, where you come out pumped up, energized and ready to tackle the world. And who wouldn't want to feel that way every single day?

Maybe I'm nuts, but that's how it worked for me. But for many people, getting past that initial "ugh, this is awful" phase is a huge hurdle. It takes time, and consistent effort, to get past that. OK, that's my philosophical ramble for the day .... :D

Purplefirefly
12-10-2009, 06:15 AM
OK, that's my philosophical ramble for the day .... :D

:cp: and what a beautiful one it was...

...1.5 miles is my goal for today. legs aren't really sore anymore, so should have no problems with it.

Fat Pants
12-10-2009, 09:57 AM
MBN - yep, that's exactly what it was for me. I just didn't like the physical feeling of exercise. Tired legs, breathing hard, sweating - all those things were very uncomfortable and not fun. When I first joined a gym a few years ago, I would go for 20-25 minutes on the elliptical and feel like I was working so hard... but I barely ever saw any results. So I thought, why would I put myself through something uncomfortable if there is not a reward from it? Then I changed gyms and hired a trainer who worked me HARD. I barely lost any weight but the inches were melting off - being able to finally see results and getting it through my thick head that I had to REALLY push myself to see results is what made it click.

It definitely does get easier. And after those first 6 weeks or so of running and I suddenly started seeing improvements, it became very fun and encouraging. I love to push myself now. I think it's fun to sweat. Mostly I get caught up in the physical movement of running...especially when I really let myself go and run as fast as I can. It's very freeing!

momof5k
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree too! The biggest thing for me was getting over the "sweating thing". I know that sounds stupid but, for me, I associated sweating with being out of shape so it embarrassed me to be so sweaty. It felt like a judgement of some kind, KWIM?

Then it finally sunk in to me that very fit people sweat too! D'oh! Now, it feels like an accomplishment, not a negative judgement..it feels GOOD to sweat. Imagine that :)

mkroyer
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Mom- i sweat MORE now that i am uber runner girl than i ever did!! Its a sign of a healthy, active "Cooling system"!! I literally can WRING OUT my clothing after i work out, i sweat so much!! :)

momof5k
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I know! Crazy right? Now, I view those sweat soaked clothes as badges of honor! The sweatier the better :lol:

medinazarley
12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
So I didnt run today (or do a video, or take the stairs at school) because I'm having a tightness in the muscles both on front of & behind my lower left leg. i was wondering (from you avid runners) is this pain likely from my shoes, or maybe something more serious?

Fat Pants
12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
So I didnt run today (or do a video, or take the stairs at school) because I'm having a tightness in the muscles both on front of & behind my lower left leg. i was wondering (from you avid runners) is this pain likely from my shoes, or maybe something more serious?

Med - is it painful or just sore/stiff? By lower left leg do you mean the calves and shins? Sounds like it could be shin splints but they only happen on the front of the leg (runners please correct me if I'm wrong here). But in my experience, shin splints are painful and not necessarily tightness in the muscles. Could be calf strain - are you stretching post-run and walking a bit to warm up the muscles pre-run? What kind of shoes are you running in?

Well ladies I ran 4 miles yesterday and felt pretty good. I'm fighting off a cold so I'm feeling sluggish and not 100% with my runs, but something is better than nothing.

I'm really considering one of those fitness boot camps next year. There is a 12-week one that starts at 5:15 in the morning, three times a week, which would work well with my schedule. Anyone had experience with a boot camp?

Purplefirefly
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I did my 1.5 mile walk yesterday...feel good energy wise but my legs are a bit sore. I only feel it while walking and it's not that intense, so I think it's okay.

On stretching...I know to do this after my walk, but should I do it before as well? My calves start feeling really tight after the first lap or so around the track (one lap is 0.20 mile). Should I stop o stretch then or just keep going? It does loosen some eventually, but it is uncomfortable.

I actually felt BURN in my calves yesterday...not painful, but the burn of being worked :) uncomfortable and would have normally made me say ENOUGH and stop, but I didn't :carrot:

mkroyer
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Medin-- is it TIGHT"? or is it PAINFUL?? everyDAY my legs (ESPECIALLY MY HAMSTRINGS)are tight. RIDICULOUSLY tight.

medinazarley
12-11-2009, 04:05 PM
there is intense tightness both on my shins and in my calves, today dring the video (I was feeling better this am) the tightness was so bad I though my calves would pop (like the man who's arms exploded). I do warm up for 5 min before my couch to 5 K walk/runs 9as instructed) plus a 5 min cool down walk & static streching after wards (quads, calves, hamstrings, arms, glutes, inner thigs) And when i do a video I strech w/the instructor (jillian michaels). I'm thinking it might be my shoes, they are some cheap-o off-brand mens athletic shoe from wal-mart

julesp313
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
This thread moves fast!

Purple - don't ever doubt that you can do it! I never EVER thought I would love running but now it's the only cardio I truly WANT to do. I'll suffer on the elliptical and bike but I love to run. I'm not fast, sleek, graceful, or even remotely accomplished, but I can run a 5k and I can do it without injury or throwing up, which I like to think is a good sign. :) And now I'm aiming for a 10k - first goal. Then a half marathon. I actually don't want to do a marathon (that may change, or so I've been told!) but for me, a half is daunting enough. But - as so many of the very wise runners here have said - pushing yourself beyond the comfortable will produce amazing things. And 13.1 miles screams uncomfortable to me, so I'm making it a goal.

Talking of uncomfortable - I did a treadmill run today. Yuck - booooring. But - I tried the run/walk idea and it wasn't horrific. I ran 2-3 minutes at 6mph, which is fast for me (I'm usually around a 11-12 minute mile) and then walked a minute at 3.5mph. Kept that up for 45 minutes - usually 45 minutes on a treadmill and I'd be chewing my arm off with boredom. So pushing a bit harder on the run and having the walk recovery seemed to be a smart idea. I felt very good when I was done, dripping with sweat and tired but a good tired. And my cool-down stretching felt fabulous. Tomorrow is my "long" run which will only be 3 miles as I haven't run outside in a couple of weeks and it's chilly - I would say cold, and for Vegas, it is, but seeing as some of you are snowed in, I won't even go there! ;)

Med - I get tight shin muscles which I'm reasonably sure is mild shin splints, but I stretch every time I run (afterwards) and that helps a ton. Ice is also my friend. :) Edited to add - if you have inexpensive shoes, I would highly recommend switching them. I think getting shoes that fit and are designed for your running type (pronator, supinator, high arch, etc) is absolutely imperative when you're running. Especially for someone like me who's got 50 extra lbs, it is the only way I can run without risking injury. Well, shoes and a heck of a sports bra. :)

Lizzyg
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
ok, nv mind.

mkroyer
12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
tomorrow i am doing a 22 miler with some SLOWER friends!! iM so excitd! Havnt run more than 15 or so since my marathon..... if all goes well i will register for that January marathon in phoenix!!

EveLHaelf
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
MK, hope you have a blast on your 22 miler!

medinazarley
12-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Good luck with the 22 miles MK!

I just wanted to announce that I am signing up for a 5K in February!!! I was hoping to do an 8K on valentines day, but the drive is a little much for me. i live in an area that's "close to everything" and driving 2 hours to run in the cold was pushing it. the frosty 5K is a local race, here in my home town.

Purplefirefly
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
MK---how did the 22 miles go?

I hope everyone had a productive weekend and got in those runs :)

momof5k
12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I ran my 3.25 miles Friday morning on my treadmill and nothing since :( It has been FREEZING cold here (-45 with the windchill....skin freezes in less than 10 minutes) so outside is not an option. Hopefully this cold trend snaps soon and in the meantime, I guess I am stuck on my tread.

crk05
12-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone! I hope you are getting lots of good running in this week! Things have been kind of crazy and stressful for me. Lots going on at work, and some challenges at home too. I have been able to keep on running though!

This weekend I did a Jingle Bells 5K for the Arthritis Foundation. I was a little nervous because it was 20 degrees out (I know I am a baby!) and there was a lot of snow and ice on the course. That said, it turned out to be a BLAST! The first mile, the course was very congested so I could not run fast at all...at least without flattening some people in front of me ;) And then there were a few "watch out" moments when I felt my feet getting a bit slippy and I had to slow down a bit. I knew pretty much right away that this would NOT be the race to set a PR. I finished in 35:32, a respectable time all things considered, and just under my 36 minute time goal. The course WAS beautiful and it felt like running through a winter fantasyland.

This is it for racing for 2009!! i can't believe that I just started in August with running and have since done four races. It really does get addictive. :D I am signed up for a 10K in March, and will start focusing on slowly increasing my distance so I'll be ready for the 10K. The weather is getting worse and worse (i.e. colder) so I suspect there will be a lot of treadmill training, but I will try to get outside whenever I can. Running through the snow is gorgeous as long as it's not TOO cold!

Have a great week!!

MBN
12-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi everyone! I ran my half marathon yesterday and set a new PR: 2:00:27! I was oh so close to breaking that 2 hour mark, but the unseasonably HOT temperature really kicked my tail at the end. It was mid-70's when the race started and by the time it ended it was full sun, no breeze, and in the low 80's. I wish we could trade just a little of your cold weather for our heat! This is just not normal for this time of year. But, hey, I'll take a PR all day long!! It's more than a minute faster than my previous PR, set last year (in much cooler weather, I might add).

After this morning's easy 5 miler, I passed 1200 miles for the year. Wow. It's going to be a hard benchmark to break for next year!

Purplefirefly
12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
:bravo: MBN!!!!! 27 seconds AAARRRRGGHHH that has to be driving you nuts...so close! I can't wait until I can say "after today's easy 5 miler..." like it was nothing ;)

crk--5k in the ice and snow...great job! You are braver than me.

My training goes up a half mile this week and I'm excited. the 1.5 mile walks weren't even getting me in a sweat at the end of last week.

mkroyer
12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
hey all!
i DID have a blast on ly 22 miler!! It was so much fun, and the company was great. im DEFINITELY going to run the phoenix marathon next month!!
I was so excited to have great running whether, i couldnt stop running all weekend and ended up logging 41 MILES since saturday!! Im ready to go! :) Had a fabulous 8 miler this am.....this warm weather is just what i needed!

MBN- COngrats on the PR!!! you are SO CLOSE to breaking the illusive 2 hour half!!

Good job on the 5K Crk! 35 min is a VERY respectable time

EveLHaelf
12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey ladies! Everyone is doing so well!

Crk, great job on the 5k! That is an awesome time! I hope to be down in the 30's for a 5k someday. ;)

MBN, Congrats on your half! You are awesome!

Mk, Glad you had such fun on your long run!

I'm still plugging along on c25k. I'm into week 8. It has me running for 28 mins, and I know that at my slow pace that's not a 5k. So I'm wondering if when I finish c25k, I just continue upping my time until I get to 40 mins because that's how long it took me to run the 5k race i did on Thanksgiving....I guess at this point I kinda need some way to gauge how far i'm running instead of just how long....gah

medinazarley
12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Eve, check out map my run, you can chart the route you run and it will tell you in Miles or KM how far you go. My run is only 1.56 miles, but im on week one of C25K. Good luck!

loquaciousjogger
12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Congrats MKroyer & MKN. Did 1.25 miles tonight... at 7.5 min average! :) Going to get there...and up my milage. At least the speed is coming up! :D

Fat Pants
12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi ladies, just checking in... DH spread his germs and now I'm sick! :p I got 3 miles in on Monday and took yesterday off. I feel like someone let all the air out of me lol! But I feel a little better today and plan on either 7 miles or 4 miles, or anywhere in between. I don't want to push it (I have zero PTO left since I've scheduled two vacations between now and the end of the year!) so I guess we'll just see once I get out there. It's 50 degrees here today... I don't want to waste the nice weather!

SGeranium
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
five and change today. Slow and steady,but it felt good. Most of it was outside in the rain. I'm glad I'm getting over my inclement weather aversion. I got the new Saucony hybrid running shoes and they do a great job keeping the water out, but are HOT to run in indoors. I've been letting things get in the way of my running time lately which is not good. I'm thinking of doing a half in April. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to up the mileage. I seem to take FOREVER to up my mileage, but I've been running at least one 6 a week for a while now so maybe........

julesp313
12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Yikes, everyone talking about these "fun" long runs is making me jealous! I think my longest run ever was 4 miles and I'd hardly call it fun. I'm learning to love running again, though I don't know that I'll ever make these sort of distances a habit.

I did manage 3 miles on the treadmill this morning but I think I need to add some loud music to my playlist for when things get tough because I'm bored. Running outside seems soooo much more interesting, not sure if it's the terrain, the hills, just looking at all the houses... but man, treadmills are like punishment. I know I have to change that mindset and learn to look at the mill as a tool, but I'm being stubborn and sulky. :)

There's a trail running group that meets about five miles from my house. I'm thinking about going on one of their group runs - I think running in canyons is smarter to do with a group, if only for safety, though I think a group is also more fun and you can learn the trails much more easily than from a map. I'll see what the weather is like when I'm on my vacation from work for a couple of weeks and maybe I'll head over there. I'm not good at meeting new people but at least with a running group, I know I have a common interest!

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I have the best DH ever!!!

We do Christmas early because we are always traveling out of town for Christmas and I convinced DH that we should open presents last night (what can I say, I'm 27 and still a kid!) He got me a Garmin Forerunner 305!!!! :carrot: :carrot: I am SO EXCITED to try it out today! No more tediously mapping my runs! :woohoo:

blueridgegirl
12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello all,

Fatpants - feel better soon! And, wow, you are so close to your goal!

Eve - congrats on being on week 8 of C25K. Running for 28 minutes without stopping is a huge achievement. Not something that I have tried yet!

Jules - I love the treadmill...I think the secret is getting a playlist you really enjoy listening to and that pumps you up. But the trail running group sounds like a great option as well.

MKM and Mkroyer - congrats on your achievements!

Sorry I haven't posted in forever...work has been crazy and on top of that our internet has been down a few times. But wanted to share my good news that I have shaved 20 seconds off my mile PR - ran a 9:10 mile on the treadmill on Tuesday! Now I have my sites set and sub-9 minute mile. Scale still reading the same BUT my little black dress is fitting better and I bought new pair of jeans from Old Navy that are size 12, so progress is occuring. Keep up the great work even amid the cold and the busy holiday season!

I do have one question: I always use the same kind of running shoes, Asics, and get the same size. What would be the cheapest way to get a new pair? Should I just call around different shoe stores locally? Has anyone bought them online? Thanks for any input.

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Geranium, thanks for the review on the Sauconys. I have the Saucony Hurricane 10s and love them for the opposite reason...good ventilation but bad at keeping the water/snow out.

jules, I feel the same way about the treadmill. For some reason running seems harder for me on the TM, probably because it's boring and my mind starts to focus on how hard it is. I agree running outside is better... it feels more productive and takes my mind off of running.

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
its officially official!! I have registered for the Phoenix Marathon AND booked the hotel!! :)

Ive been so excited all week, and with the weather so noce here and all, i havent b4een able to stop running-- if i run just 5 miles tomorrow, i will be at 70 MILES for the week!!! I have NEVER ran that many miles in a week! I need to be careful, i was really starting to feel it on my run this am. My 10 miler turned to 8 miles, turned to 7 .5 miles and it felt like i was runnig with 2 lead feet!!

FAT-- You got a garmin!! :) wahoos!! He will become your best friend!! You will begin to believe he is infallable :) Garmin (praise be thy name)-- henceforth Garmin (p.b.t.n.) for short ;) its a fantastic tool. You will love it. does the 305 have a HR monitor? or is that the 405...?

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
its officially official!! I have registered for the Phoenix Marathon AND booked the hotel!! :)

Ive been so excited all week, and with the weather so noce here and all, i havent b4een able to stop running-- if i run just 5 miles tomorrow, i will be at 70 MILES for the week!!! I have NEVER ran that many miles in a week! I need to be careful, i was really starting to feel it on my run this am. My 10 miler turned to 8 miles, turned to 7 .5 miles and it felt like i was runnig with 2 lead feet!!

FAT-- You got a garmin!! :) wahoos!! He will become your best friend!! You will begin to believe he is infallable :) Garmin (praise be thy name)-- henceforth Garmin (p.b.t.n.) for short ;) its a fantastic tool. You will love it. does the 305 have a HR monitor? or is that the 405...?

Yay MK! Enjoy the nice weather in AZ (hey, the past week hasn't been so bad around here, huh?) 70 miles in one week, you machine... I can only dream of doing that many right now... :dizzy:

I'm totally in love with my Garmin already... DH did GOOD this year hahaha. The 305 has the heart rate monitor so I am happy about that, it's a beast but I am so looking forward to not having to mentally calculate my splits and just run in one direction for X number of miles without wondering how far I'm actually going... actually the 405CX also has the HRM but you're looking at upward of $370 for one of those :yikes:

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey blueridge! you snuck a post in there on me. :D

Congrats on shaving off time on your mile time! Geez I can't even fathom a sub-9 mile right now... I've just barely accomplished a sub-11 in the past month or so. NICE JOB on the size 12 jeans! I always feel like ON jeans run small so double congrats!

Purplefirefly
12-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Ahhh...I let work pull me out of life for a bit there and I missed all the running chatter here! I also missed a run and a day of strength training because I slipped into work-a-holic mode which is what makes me gain weight. I didn't gain though...so improvement!

Today I am taking a 3.25 mile walk and doing the strength training I missed just to catch up. Work will have to take the backseat because I am not giving up on myself! Finding this balance is all that is holding me back so I have to learn to say no to work and yes to ME just a little while each day.

MK--WOOOHOOO! I feel your excitement just through your post. You are inspiring me to just bite the bullet and sign up for my 5K already. Everytime I go to do it I have this little voice that says "you can't do this! are you nuts? Just train a bit longer and you'll see...you're going to quit." I am determined to shut that doubting voice up so maybe registering and putting the money on the line will do the trick.

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Purpl-- what 5K? Give me the name and i will register for you! ;) just DO IT already! you CAN DO IT! you know you can at LEAST walk that far! Sign up! Sign up! Sign up!
I beleive that EVERYONE here will tell you that signing up for that first race was scary and intimidating, but ended up being one of the BEST DECISIONS they ever made!! Were talking life-changing here! I bit the bullet and registered for a frickin MARATHON on a whim :) you can DO IT!

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
LOQUACIOUS and BlueRidge--- you guys are a speed demons!! Congrats!! How did it feel??? I believe we ALL are faster than we think!! Blue- pretty soon youll be wondering if you can break that illusive 9 minute miler!! And loquacious--- string together 2 more miles at that pace and youve got yourself a 23 minute 5k!! THATS FAST!

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
FAT-- what happend to the mountain air marathon? ( i think thats what it was called...)

loquaciousjogger
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks mkroyer! I am so proud of you for signing up for the marathon!
I've had so much stress lately and there is nothing like a great sprint to help you with that! :) I can't maintain it for 3 miles right now... But I'm hoping over break (when I'll be running outside) to get my endurance up once again. I think the reason is I've been doing weights (focusing on my hamstring muscles especially, which I pulled this summer running) and now I can do over 100 lbs of weights on them! :D

And FatPants: That Garmin sounds awesome... being a broke student sucks. =P I'll just have to do Google Maps...

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
FAT-- what happend to the mountain air marathon? ( i think thats what it was called...)

A discussion about when to have babies happened... LOL. I think I'm going to focus on half marathons this year, and go for the Colorado Marathon in May 2011. Unless the Ft Collins marathon goes REALLY well and I can up my mileage... I don't know. It just seems so aggressive and I've not even had a full year of running under my belt at this point!

NBaxter2512
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi there. I am starting the C25k program soon. I will be running the recommended 3x/week. I am just wondering what you would recommend the other 2-3 days? I'd like to exercise 5-6x/week. I am planning on MWF doing the C25k. I am 5'1" and I weigh around 205 so I need a program that will encourage weight loss!
Thanks!

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
NBaxter- welcome!! Congrats on starting C25k!!

do NOT underestimate the importance of weight training...it is a MUST if you want to be successful!!! try and incorporate it in at least 2 or 3X a week, maybe on your off days? Cycling is the most popular for of cross - training for runners, but we have been known to swim as well -usually only when an injury prevents us from being able to bear weight on a limb though ;)

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Fat-- (sorry ?)(glad?) to hear that youve put the marthon training on the back burner....there ARE lower mileage training schedules out there, FYI. It definitely cant hurt to have a little more running under your belt though! :)

So........when can we expect a baby??

Fat Pants
12-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Fat-- (sorry ?)(glad?) to hear that youve put the marthon training on the back burner....there ARE lower mileage training schedules out there, FYI. It definitely cant hurt to have a little more running under your belt though! :)

So........when can we expect a baby??

lol...no need to be sorry! I'm happy and comfortable with the decision. I am pretty much ready for kids, but I'm also so excited about the upcoming year in terms of running, and really shaping my body to be athletic. I think I *feel* like I should be having kids because I'm 27 1/2 and isn't that what everybody else is doing my age (at least according to my mother AND MIL)? Most of all I know how long it takes me to work up the miles and I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment with a marathon, by not being able to complete one. I really need to get comfortable with endurance running... 13 miles doesn't make me too nervous, but 26 miles does.

I think the baby making will commence sometime in fall 2011, or around our 5 year anniversary (Dec 2011). I actually feel like a weight has been lifted... it's good that DH and I are on the same page!

NBaxter ~ I cannot stress how important weight training is. I only added it into my program in the last two months and it has made a SIGNIFICANT impact on my running (endurance/strength).

momof5k
12-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I believe that EVERYONE here will tell you that signing up for that first race was scary and intimidating, but ended up being one of the BEST DECISIONS they ever made!!

Yup, I was SO nervous and it was SO much fun! My next run is on January 1st. Can't wait!!

MBN
12-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Wow, lots of chatter today!!

Purplefirefly - don't hesitate to sign up for the 5K. If you know you can walk it, or walk/jog it -- then there's no pressure! Go out and have fun! One word of warning though, running events CAN be habit-forming! (but I can stop anytime I want to) :D

MK - don't forget to taper! You know it makes you crazy, but you'll gain more from the rest than from piling on the training! Although do what I say and not what I do! :p I ran my last weekend half for a PR, after finally taking *one* day off from working out! (my first "rest" day since Labor Day!!) Of course, a half is significantly less stress on the body than a full ....

NBaxter - me third on the strength training. I think it's key in preventing injury. That, and stretching!

FatPants - good luck on the baby making in 2011! Until then, you can always practice. ;) :o

NBaxter2512
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for the fast responses! I think I will try biking on the other days and also incorporate strength training! Any ideas for strength training exercises I can do around the house without equipment?

Also, what would you recommend eating/drinking before and after running?
I am running my first 5k April 18th!:carrot:

mkroyer
12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
NBaxter- did you just register?? Its SO exciting!!! I luv racing!!

As far as great exercises (especially for runners) you cant go wrong with lunges!! Every form, every variety. High rep low weight, or High weight low rep! Make sure you change it up though! Also anything that works your CORE is crucial...think PLANKS and side planks! And the best upper body exercise that ALSO works your core--- PUSHUPS!! i also really like doig things like single legged squats, and straightlegged deadlifts ( you will need heavier-ish weights for those though...dont know what you have at home)

As far as nutrition and running...this is a very personal and diverse topic. It depends on so many things, such as how FAR you are running, and how FAST you are running, and how LONG you are running (these are all different things). Honestly, i dont eat anything different before OR after a run, unless the run is over 90 minutes. I even run before i eat breakfast, sometimes as much as 12 miles, without eating anything first. Anything longer, and i will at least have my normal brkfst. Anything longer than about 2.5 hours and i will even carbo load a little.
If you are just getting started running, then DONT worry at all about nutrition, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to lose weight! Many runners fall into the trap of thinking they can eat "X" becuz they just ran 3 miles, or 5 miles. Hence they dont lose weight. Do what works for you though. If you find you cant run on an empty stomach, or that you dont have enough energy to make it through your runs, than you want to eat carbs..preferably complex carbs, like oatmeal or fruit, or whole wheat bagel. After you do strength training though, you DEFINITELY want to have a protein, to help your muscles repair, else you will HAVE WASTED YOUR WORKOUT!!

medinazarley
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
hey ladies! you guys are such an inspiration!!!!

NBaxter, i do Jilliam Micaels tapes 2-3x a week for strength training w/only 3 lbs hand weights, my fav. is the no more trouble zones, its more foused on toning than cardio.

p.s. I'm excited to say that I'll be running around the lake at my grandmother's house this weekend for my C25K run. I hope its as serene as it sounds.

SGeranium
12-18-2009, 12:22 AM
When do you strength train? Before you run? after you run? on non run days? after a short run? .......... I've never been able to figure it out for lower body work. When I was training for my triathlon I only did upper body/ core work. The science of when is important but confuses me.

medinazarley
12-18-2009, 01:55 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but you should train lower body on your non-running days to avoid injury.

mkroyer
12-18-2009, 09:36 AM
to be honest, you should strength train BEFORE you do any cardio ( ie run) to reap max benefits. The Reason-- as you are strength training, your muscles are going to use the immediately available glycogen for energy. If you do cardio first, you will use up the glycogen during the cardio, and your muscles wont be ablt to be pushed as hard during the sttrength session later. Your Body can use your fat for energy durig cardio (although it prefers glycogen). however your body CANT use fat for the strength training.

Since you are a beginner at strength training, AND at running, i would not do both on the same day, for NOW. However once your body adapts to the stress of both activities, there is no reason why you cant train your lower body and run on the same day. I do it all the time, as a tool---- if i tire my legs out with strength training, than i will be running under a different sort of stress (ie; lactic acid buildup)...very useful for marathon traiing!!/

Purplefirefly
12-19-2009, 04:38 AM
MK--I know you are right...you are! I PROMISE I am going to register next week. I have to finish up Christmas shopping this week and then next week the first thing I do is sign up. I'm just gonna do it and then it will be final and I can really freak out :lol:

Fat(Skinny)Pants--Happy running and baby making. You are doing the right thing getting some personal goals out of the way so you are ready to have the baby. You have lots of time, you are by no means old, and think how healthy you will be to chase the baby around and get out playing with him/her! It's hard with grandma-to-be pressure, but remember you have to do what's right for you....they'll wait impatiently until the day comes. It could be worse, my sister in law has decided she never wants children and MIL is horrified by that!

mkroyer
12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Purple-- of COURSE im right!!

So, i have a running buddy coming over in about a half an hour. I will be introducing him to his lactic Acid Threshold!! yay!! It should be very fun. I have a 6 mile run planned for us. AFTER that is that 10K at 10 am that id been planning on RACING since after my marathon...havnt decided if i m going or not yet..... there is also red rocks fitness at 10am too....
what to do what to do? :)

Have great runs today ladies!!!

SGeranium
12-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I had planned on running in a 10 k trail run in November to help me get over my fear of the hill. Then I spent a lot of October and early November being sick. I didn't even try the 5k on race day because I had a sinus infection. Yesterday I decided it was time for the do over. It was definitely the toughest 6 I've ever run. The course is really hilly with a couple of extra long steep, steep inclines. The day I can run the whole thing drinks are on me. It took me 1:16;34, but I did it and it was just fine in the end. Getting comfortable with the uncomfortable.......

Run fast and strong ladies, Have a great weekend.

momof5k
12-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I hadn't run since last Friday (gasp!). It had been SO cold here I just couldn't face it.

I finally gotout last night and did my first ever 4+ mile run outside...with no walk breaks! Yahoo!

Have a great weekend everyone :)

EveLHaelf
12-20-2009, 10:37 AM
I had my x mas 2.5 mile run yesterday! That race was HUGE! And they had 500+ more people than they were expecting! So many santa hats! lol It was pretty fun. They had carolers along the course singing and people were sitting on their porches waving and shouting. Such a fun experience! I did finished in 30 mins and change. Then me and dh went and got our first tattoos! :o Afterwards we went to a nice mexican restaurant and I ate off plan...but I'm back on track today!

What a day! It was worth it. :D

mkroyer
12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
i begin trainig to qualify for Boston tomorrow!! 8 mi in the morning, with the last 4 miles at planned marathon pace --- 8:15ish!!
Im excited!!
ive also decided to start carb cycling...gently. With the way i workout, i need to be able to eat more! But i am goig to break my body gently into it, by upping my "good" carbs 2X a week for now, and keeping hte other 5 days at what i already eat, which is anywhere from 80 - 120 grams/day. So definitely low carb, but not SCARY Atkins low carb ;) My high days will be from 175 - 200 grams/ day. which still keeps my calorie levels at 1400-1500 on regular days, and approx 1700-1800 on "high" carb days. We will see how this goes!! The hardest thing for me will be to not freak out if i show an initial gain (in water weight, or whatever) after the first time, or the first week, or whatever. I need to push threw it for at least a month. Then i will re-evaluate. If im going to be training for Boston and running 50-70 mi/week AND doing 3-4 strength sessions, i NEED to be eatingg more!! But i think everyone here on this forum knows how hard that can be to make ourselves do! Especially after struggling with weight!

mkroyer
12-20-2009, 06:07 PM
EVel-- congrats on your xmas day run!!! Did you have to bring your own santa hat?? 30 minutes is a great time! Glad you had such a blast!

EveLHaelf
12-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Mk your training plan sounds good! So, how do you 'qualify' for Boston? Do they make you run a 'try out' marathon to see if you can make the time or how do they do that? lol That's always confused me. :dizzy: But with your determination, I'm sure you will be shoe in for Boston!

And yes, I had to bring my OWN santa hat. lol :p

mkroyer
12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Evel- you can qualify at any "Certified" Boston Qualifying marathon, which is pretty much ANY marathon that has been certified by the USATF (the distance is what has to be certified). In all honesty, its be harder to find a marathon that WASNT a BQ.....

medinazarley
12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey ladies, so I went out of town this weekend and stayed on plan! yay! I was behind a day in my C25k plan due to last minute shopping for the trip & finishing up my semester. I ran the c25K around my grandma's lakeside neighborhood in the snow, and it was great.

p.s. i got orthotics and they helped so much with my shin splints, the running caused pain, but it went away within 10 mins and I wasn't sore at all today.

mkroyer
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Todays run-
8.25 miles
3 miles easy ~ 9 min/mile (27 min)
5.25 miles at Planned Marathon pace of 8:10-8:15-- Averaged 8:12 (DANG!! right on the money pace-wise!!) (43 min)

Total time 1 hr 10 min

Side note--- it was FREAKISHLY warm and wonderful this am for my run....in the lower 40s!!! I got to wear my running shorts (YAY!!)

blueridgegirl
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
New victory: I ran 3.1 miles without stopping! I was on the treadmill Friday afternoon as the first flakes were coming down and set it to about a 11:20 pace and just plugged away. I finished in 35:11. I can do it faster if I alternate walking and running, but wanted to see if I could run the whole way and I can! With over two feet of snow on the ground here, there isn't a chance I'll be doing outdoor running any time soon.

FP/SJ - wow! Congrats on the baby planning! That's a whole new exciting challenge!

Medina - glad you have found some relief from shin splints.

Eve - way to go w/ Xmas race! Sounds like a blast.

Fat Pants
12-21-2009, 03:10 PM
MK did you end up doing the Winter Series 10k?

blue ~ WOW congrats on 3.1! That is fantastic!!!

EVE ~ That sounds like a fun race! Glad you had a great time :D

ok soooo I tried out my Garmin today... this is now my most favorite toy EVER! I did 5.5 miles like it was nobody's business... first time I've been healthy enough/warm enough/energetic enough to run outside in about a month! It was so nice to get back outside and enjoy the nice weather... especially since there is snow moving our way. I am going to Oklahoma for Christmas and plan on taking advantage of some lower altitude running... :D

julesp313
12-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I haven't run in... well, at least a week. The treadmill has less appeal than pretty much any other form of cardio and it's been too dark to run outside before work. However - I am now off work for three weeks and have no excuse to not run outside, which I'm very happy about! And like FatPants, I absolutely love my Garmin and use it every time I run outside - it's so good to see I'm on pace and that I do actually run as far as I had planned. My husband is home from school for three weeks also so he and I will be hitting the gym three days a week together and then he'll bike when I run - he's not a runner and I'm much less of a bike rider! He wants to shed some excess weight so he's motivated, which then motivates me, so it's all good.

I'm trying to decide which 5k to do in February/March - one is closer to home and has really easy parking, but the route is super boring. The other is a pain to pick up the race packet and the parking is very tight (all on the roadside instead of in a parking lot) but you get to run on an old railroad through tunnels (it was the railroad used to transport the materials to build the Hoover Dam) so it's much cooler! Maybe I'll do both - they're a couple of weeks apart and with a 5k distance, it wouldn't be too much to do them both. Sigh - decisions!

MBN
12-22-2009, 09:22 AM
MK - I essentially carb-cycle every weekend to support my Sunday long run. It also lets me "legally" eat more on the weekends! What I do is this: eat more calories and more carbs on SATURDAY, to fuel up for the Sunday run. Then I try not to refuel too much after the Sunday long run, although I do eat more for recovery. Then I go back to my low cal / low carb regular diet for Monday thru Friday. And yes, I see as much as a 5-6 lb swing up after the weekend due to the carb water weight and muscles retaining water - but it drops right back off in a couple of days. I have found that eating more carbs the day before my long run really makes a difference in my endurance level. I don't carb load unless I'm running more than 14 miles or so though.

I did a 20 miler Sunday morning, my first since marathon training years ago. It felt good! I finished strong, felt like I could go more, but was glad I didn't have to! Maybe some day I will go for that full marathon again ...

Happy running everyone!

Purplefirefly
12-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Just have to give a quick shout out to MK and the dedicated marathon training...every time I read one of your posts I want to go out running again :) keep going, girl! Boston is coming.

My husband is home from school for three weeks also so he and I will be hitting the gym three days a week together and then he'll bike when I run

I think this is wonderful! Getting in shape together can be a lot of fun and you can motivate one another...just be careful if he doesn't want to go one day or something you still go without him.

New victory: I ran 3.1 miles without stopping! I was on the treadmill Friday afternoon as the first flakes were coming down and set it to about a 11:20 pace and just plugged away.

CONGRATS! That's a big milestone to reach!

EveLHaelf
12-24-2009, 12:33 PM
I found out my hubby ordered me a garmin 305 for x mas! I'm soooo excited! Unfortunately, it's backordered and might not get here until the beginning of feb! The darn foot pod got here a few days ago, lol. :dizzy:

I'm also excited because I got my hubs to sign up for the new years 5k with me! He's a TON faster than me, so he might not want to stay at my pace but him actually being in the race with me is a huge improvement from him driving me and then sitting in the car the whole time :yes:

Off to start the final week of c25k! WOOHOOS!

momof5k
12-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh you'll love your new Garmin! Enjoy!

mkroyer
12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Evel, you and your hubby will have a blast!! I got my BF to run the Bolder Boulder 10K with me last year, and it was like PULLING TEETH :) lol!!

Fat--i did NOT run that 10K--- since i decided to run the pheonix marathon on a whim (and with it less than a month away, my trainer forbid me to compete in it. ... now that ive had a chance to skim the results im kinda glad.... (theres no WAY i would have won!! they had some pretty fast ladies there, although i would have definitely made the top 6 or 7)

Puprle--thanks for the shout out! :)

You guys are awesome! Merry Xmas to all!!

I HAD planned on running 10 miles this am, but the gosh darned SNOW when i woke up!! ANd the fact that it was 4 degrees...bleh! i will try again tomorrow........

Ilene
12-26-2009, 10:20 AM
I found out my hubby ordered me a garmin 305 for x mas! I'm soooo excited! Unfortunately, it's backordered and might not get here until the beginning of feb! The darn foot pod got here a few days ago, lol. :dizzy:
Hubby got me one too :dance: I was going to try it out but it's freezing rain here today :tantrum: ...

Did a 5k Christmas morning run with my client, she thought I was crazy, but we did go out... It wasn't the best run, I think because of all the junk food we'd both been eating... It's back on track for me today though :yes:

mkroyer
12-26-2009, 03:12 PM
well all,
off to the urgent care doctor to have my toenail removed!! Its been TRYING to come off since my marathon, and now its REALLY INFECTED and hurts really bad, and i have another marathon in 3 weeks, so i need to get it taken care of, ASAP. Also, i havent been able to hear out of my right ear since tuesday.....

Ilene
12-26-2009, 04:55 PM
MK -- OUCH on both counts, take care of yourself...

julesp313
12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
No running here - just haven't been motivated - but I'm staying active, which is better than my usual butt on couch position!

MK - ouch! Take care of yourself - that toenail sounds painful.

MaryAnne
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry I have been MIA!! We have all been sick around here and I am trying to finish up some work but needed a quick break!! Hope everyone had a great holiday!!
Tues of last week I ran my longest run ever of 10 miles :) I did it in just barely under 2 hours felt so good!! Will be doing a half in no time!
I still haven't signed up for a race in March that I want to do, so nervous and have no one to do it with it is 16 miles so my guess is it will take me 3 hr 20 min approx and not sure how my kids will handle that long of a wait. But I want to do it so badly!!
I am still plateaued on my weight loss. I am not sure what is going on but I lost only 3lbs this month and worked by big fat bum off!!! It is so frustrating, but I ran 10miles straight that is an accomplishment in itself right :)
Ok, off to finish work then will catch up with everyone :)

Purplefirefly
12-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I hope everyone had a great Christmas...I am jealous of all these Garmin-giving-hubbies :lol: though I don't particularly need anything like that right now.

MK---ewwww I hope hearing comes back and toenail goes away. I"m amazed you have been running all those miles with those things happening!

I am behind on my training so need to pick it up starting today. We had 3 very eventful days with 2 days of active Christmas and one 6 hour long birthday party for my son yesterday. Today, time to get back to my own goals and real life.

I am setting goals for 2010 today...not resolutions, but commitments I intend to fulfill this coming year. 2009 was a horrible year for me and I have decided that I have to MAKE better things happen this coming year. It's in my hands, not anyone else's.

mkroyer
12-27-2009, 12:01 PM
MaryAnne-- Congratulations! double digits is a HUGE deal!! Its no big step up now to a half marathon at all!!

All- my run was a SUCKFEST SUCKFEST SUCKFEST.
Was supposed to do 13 mi....4 miles easy 9 miles at marathon pace (8:15ish). i only made it 8 miles than wussed out,. it was AWFUL. My two lead feet!! Ehch...they cant all be winners. I knew it would be bad when i was struggling to maintain my EASY pace!. I think part of the problem was all the ice and frozen slush and snow i had to run through and on. it REALLY takes alot out of you trying to not fall and trudging through crap.

Toenail update!! ---- the urgent care doc DID NOT remove it, because it is SO infected. Im on antibiotics, and percocets (mayhaps THAT'S why i felt like i was running with lead feet?) and i go back on weds to have my GP/sports med doc remove it! JOY!

Funny side note about my run today. i was approx HALF a mile from home, and i had to pee SO BADLEY (and it came on out of NOWHERE) that i literally was seriously considering peeing my pants! i was 4 minutes away from my house, and i COULD NOT hold it. I looked around, saw there was noone outside shoveling or in their cars, and i dropped trough in someones FRONT YARD and made yellow snow!! :) i dont know if thats funny, or sad, but its amusing none-the-less. I feel sorry for anyone who happend to be looking out their window and saw my large fat white BUTT!! hahahahh. It was worth it!

Also, im thinking about getting a fake tan for the phoenix marathon, so i look nice in my race pics! what do you all think?? Yes, its vanity. Would it be just too weird since its winter? FYI, i mean spray fake, not tanning bed fake.

mkroyer
12-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Purple-- you slipped in while i was writing! what do yo mean 2009 was horrible?? in what way? Youve started running. thats an accomplishment!!

loquaciousjogger
12-27-2009, 12:16 PM
mkroyer and everyone, I'm happy to see you're keeping it up. Regarding the spray tan: During the marathon, you're sweating profusely... won't the spray tan come off? Btw, mkroyer, I see what you mean about the uncomfortable, during my run today, I would have paid even $50 to stop running, but I forced myself to keep running without stopping! :)

I've been sick with a nasty stomach virus. But, I just got back from my first run in a week or so... I did a solid 50 minutes. :) I've been trying to keep my calories at a reasonable level so hopefully I start to see some results soon.

blueridgegirl
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
hi ladies...I've been a bit MIA but between the fallout from last week's crazy blizzard and the holiday it's been pretty chaotic. Good news is I still got three solid runs in last week, and I shaved some significant time off my 5k PR. Yesterday morning I ran 5k in 34:09. I was going for sub-34 and got darn close. Feels awesome to be able to do the full 5k without taking walk breaks. And I lost half a pound so am down to 205 even. Hey, it's only half a pound, but the week of Christmas that feels like a big success. The registration isn't open yet for the 5k I want to run in April, but I did print off the course and am planning on scoping it out this week if snow and ice hold off...it promises to be hilly which should be a challenge! And I've started inviting friends and colleagues to run it with me so I should have good company!

EveL - congrats on last week of C25k. You have been so consistent with your training!

mkroyer - sorry to hear about the toenail. that sounds awful! Hope you are on the mend.

maryanne - congrats on ten miles! That is a distance that boggles my mind - I am trying to psych myself up for 4! I know all about plateaus and how frustrating they can be...but are you seeing success in other places even if the scale isn't budging? I have been losing pounds ridiculously slowly, but have been losing inches, lowering my resting heart rate, wearing smaller clothes, so I know SOMETHING is happening. Don't get too hung up on the scale as you are clearly making progress.

purple - best wishes to you on starting 2010 strong. And I'm with MK: you started running which is a HUGE step...so you most certainly did something right in 2009!

Purplefirefly
12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Purple-- you slipped in while i was writing! what do yo mean 2009 was horrible?? in what way? Youve started running. thats an accomplishment!!

I mean in literally every aspect of my life, 2009 seriously sucked. I started waiting for a new year months ago! I have started training for the 5K, doing consistent walking and some running, and you're right I need to recognize that as a huge personal achievement, even if I haven't gotten my eating under control just yet to make weight loss happen faster...but I'm going to get there. I know I am!

I have decided that I want to build up to running more by the end of 2010, and plan to RUN the running of the lights next new years eve/day! That has become my biggest ultimate goal and I am determined to make it happen.

BTW...your butt is by far not large and you probably had men in the window taking pictures ;) you could have charged for the view. Many times I have gotten out on the track and suddenly had to pee so bad, but I am a 10 minute drive from home so I hold it as long as I can.

Fat Pants
12-29-2009, 07:54 AM
ahh! Hello?! Can anyone see me surfacing from a mountain of cakes, cookies, candies and other Christmas goodies?! :lol:

I have been traveling a LOT in the past week - and still have travel some more starting Thursday. Will be able to hit the gym today, though, for a run and some serious cardio. I've managed to only pack on half a pound from the holidays but we're not out of the woods yet... a trip to grandma's house over New Year's might do me in! Right now I need a good run just to keep some of my sanity, but I am SO EXHAUSTED from vacation! :dizzy:

mkroyer
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Holas fat!! I hope vacation was awesome! :) Enjoy your time at the gym today :)

Made it outside for my run this am--the first since my SUCKFEST on Sunday!
Holy Crap, it was COLD this morning. ran 7.25 miles, Tempo Run. 1 miles easy, 5.25 miles at marathon or sub marathon pace (avgd an 8 10) 1 mi easy cooldown. i was SUPPOSED to set aside 10 minutes to stretch afterwards, but it just didnt happen. My butt and hamstrings are SERIOUSLY sore from my workout with my trainer last night! YAY!! :) Tomorrw i get the darned toenail removed in the morning, which MEANS i get to sleep in !! YAY!! I have enough time to sleep in till like 5 am, go to the gym for strength training, run, AND still make it to appt by 9!! Wahoos!!

Hope evryone had good runs this morning and yesterday! Lets hear about 'em!

PS am giving serious consideration to moving to phoenix, where its never cold......

Marjolein
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Yay! Running people! Hello!

Gosh.....marathon...half marathons....that's way over my head! I've only started running this July! I hope to do my first 5K in March 2010.

Right now I'm capable to run for 25 minutes. I train 3 times a week. Twice I do run, walk, run, walk etc. Right now I run for 10 minutes, then walk for2/3 and do that 3/4 times. Then each Saturday I do a 'run' and run for at least 20 minutes straight.

Last three months were not very productive, though. Heavily sprained ankle, whiplash in calve (same leg) in October and snow and ice at the end of this month. Kept me from running for four weeks in total. I can't believe how quickly you can deteriorate, but at the same time how quick you come back again!

It's supposed to snow again this night so keep your fingers crossed I will be able to run tomorrow morning! I really want to get back at it.
I started again on Monday and it was rather bad! *cringe*

I hated running for the first 30 years of my life. I know love it! Funnier things have happened, but for me it has been life changing.

Marjolein

loquaciousjogger
12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
mkroyer, it's freezing here too! I'm very proud... I did a solid 40 minutes of running at the track in 20 degree weather today! I was planning on a full hour..but I had underdressed for how cold it was and I couldn't take the cold much longer. (I dressed for maybe 60 degree weather...)

I've taken your advice and am starting to train for a half marathon for the end of my academic year... Got a 5K/5mile and the half planned for this spring!

welcome marjolein! :) Keep it up!

SGeranium
12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Happy Happy runners. Hope all wasand is Merry and Bright. I'm envious of all the smart husbands who shopped early enough to have a Garmin 305 under the tree. I got a back order slip from REI, It was awesome ;). Does anyone know if more that one person can use it and keep the data separate ?

I think I'm aiming for an April Half Mary. I've never run more than 6.5 miles, but there's months to prepare right ???........ It happens a couple of days after my B-day, I'm thinkin' it would be an awesome gift to myself. I'm trying to talk my dh into doing it with me. He might be ready for a the full though.

Super sucky run today, but I need some heavy duty damage control. Waaaaaaaay to much merry making. Mostly it was crappy because I can't breathe through my nose. It was more of a run/ walk than anything.

eroica27
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
i want to start running this january, but in addition to good running shoes (which i have), what else would i need to start running in the middle of winter?

momof5k
12-30-2009, 12:03 AM
eroica27: Welcome! What kind of winter weather are you running in? If it gets cold where you are, you will definitely need some layers to stay warm, some good gloves and a hat. That and good shoes and you should be good to go!

Marjolein
12-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Dressed in thermo underwear I braved the snow today! It was fun, but also rather hard. The snow does dampen your running pretty well but my calves were aching. I also noticed I was slower and I ran differently.But I did it, so yay!
5(2) 10(3) 10(3) 10(3) 2,5(1,5) = 50 minutes. Pretty good I thought!
(..)=walking time
The last 2,5 minutes were me running home to stop from getting cold.

I see you all talking about your Garmins. (jealous ;) ) I do know what they are, but how do you use them for running? I only use a heart rate meter that also gives me the amount of calories burned (790 today! New record!)
I'm thinking of getting I Nike+ sensor, since I already have the I-pod.
Anyone here use that? What does it 'bring' you?

Marjolein

Ilene
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
This morning I ran in -14c/7f.... I use very a light dry wick layer close to the skin another light sweater then a wind breaker, my pants are specially for winter running they have a fleece backing and the front of the leg is made of a material that cuts the wind, something on my hands and head of course, make sure you have running socks that don't get wet like cotton. I love running in the winter, it's my favourite time of the year, I've even convinced my running partner that it's the best time :lol: ...

Marjolein -- The Garmin is a GPS that tracks your distance, pace, heart rate, speed, there is also a virtual buddy you can run with :lol: , I haven't tried that yet though...I'm just learning how to use it but I love it already ...

blueridgegirl
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
hi friends,

well, I'm a little wimpy compared to all you who are braving the elements, but I DID get in my run today. Went to the gym to lift and then ran 5k on the indoor track in something like 36:30 which is decent. First time I've tried the indoor track instead of the treadmill and I liked it...definitely better than the black ice on the pavement outside! I went to running store to get new shoes (Asics Gel 1140 - I'm on my 3rd pair and totally love them) and I thought of you as I saw the garmins for sale!!! Cool running toy!

I am headed to the dr for my annual physical later this afternoon - I have lost over 30 pounds since I last went to see my GP so I'm actually looking forward to it instead of dreading it! Yay!

Keep up the great work, all! Let's run our way into 2010!

EveLHaelf
12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting much. I've been in a funk. I started getting sick and my eating went all to heck and I had a 4 day crapfest of bad food and not exercising. BAD ME! I had a really hard 30 minute run yesterday, but I endured. It was hard because I am still all congested and mucus-y and I was eating crap for the past few days. I'm back on now, so hopefully I can string a couple of good days together and get back on track. I have a new years 5k on Jan 1st and I'm excited! I'm hoping for an improvement on time even if it's only by a few seconds. My thanksgiving one was 40:11 so If I can get 39 something I will be stoked.

Welcome Marjolein!

Mk. how is your toe doing? How did your appt go?

loquacious, I'm training for a half marathon in June! I'm sure you are a lot farther along than me right now, I'm only at 3 miles! Keep us posted on your training progress!

SG, My garmin 305 is STILL backordered! And you should totally go for the half marathon! It will be the best bday gift ever!

Blue, 36:30 5k! You are awesome! :D

SGeranium
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
My dh just signed us up for a New years Resolution run polar bear swim on the first. Hot chili in the bear garden after. Sounds healthy no ???!!!!!???

momof5k
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm doing a 5K Resolution Run on the 1st too. and it is supposed to be FREEZING here that day! Grrr!

Polar Bear swim??? not for me!!

Marjolein
12-31-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm doing a 5K Resolution Run on the 1st too. and it is supposed to be FREEZING here that day! Grrr!

Polar Bear swim??? not for me!!

Nor for me! I'll stay in bed, warm and dry.

Good luck with your run!

Marjolein

SGeranium
12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Polar bear is relative. It's cold here,but not freezing it's in the 50's. It's hardly the kind of cut a hole in the ice to take a dip polar bear thing. Plus there's the hot chili afterwords, and the beer ................ How do I let him talk me into these things????!!!!?????

Ilene
01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Marjolein, I've moved your post to the January thread...

I'm closing this one now ...