Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/217/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Workout questions while on MRC

Just curious, to those who have seen success on MRC what type of exercise has been most beneficial to you? How often did (or do) you exercise and for how long? Did you do a number of different activities etc?

I am trying to put together a workout schedule. The most information I received from my center is to work out I believe a maximum of 5 days and no more than 300 minutes weekly. Any suggestions are welcome.
harlow grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #2  

I started the C25K back in April after losing my first 25 pounds, I worked up to running a total of 15 miles a week. I run 3 to 4 times a week, I run 4.5 to 5.5 miles at a time and walk .5 a mile each time to warm up...I was running more frequently at 3 miles at a time, however I find it more beneficial to run only 3 days a week at longer distances and get another 2 days of weight workouts without running. My center has encouraged me to continue with this as it is a habit for me now and I just do not believe I would look as good losing 60lbs without the running, my body is coming together with definition and firmness.
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm confused on this, as I understood my center to say no more than 180 minutes/week. Reading other posts, I wonder if I misunderstood. I do zumba class 2-3 times a week--sometimes substitute with treadmill or gentle/restorative yoga.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330.5/see ticker/258.5

Height: 5'9.5

its all about how much can your body take without starving it. A good guideline which the centers give is to stick to about 25 to 30 minutes a day 3 days a week. I took that, and pushed my body to 30-50 minutes 5 to 6 days a week and as long as i didnt feel like i was starving my body, i kept doing it and guess what. Those 30 minutes first started with just walking and riding the bike. Now they include 30 minutes of walking ( of which i try to run 7 to 10), and then go on the bike for 15 to 20 minutes. Next week i am planning to tackle the elliptical next week.

In essence its all about getting to know your body. Nothing more, nothing less.
nabeelmalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #5  

Thanks for everybody's input.

I was curious at to what everyone else was doing. I wanted to start a Turbo Jams program (I wanted to follow their suggested program.) I was already doing 5-6 days a week between 30-75 min.

I have a zillion fitness dvds and cannot seem to figure out the best cardio and strength training workout plan. I am trying to create a schedule that is 30-40 minutes, has a variety so my body doesn't get used to any one routine, and is going to make that weight come off and transform my body. I didn't want to lose the weight and have a body that looked the same, only a smaller version. I'd like to make it look better slim the thighs, get as much of the belly down as possible etc.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Height: 5'5"

I have been with MRC for 3 months now and hadn't heard anything about exercising. I'm glad that this thread appeared and now I want to start exercising.
iluvindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #7  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Since beginning MRC in August, my activity level has constantly increased. I went from walking about 1-2 miles 3-4 days a week, to 3.5 miles 6 days a week. I also do some stretching and weight resistance in my hot tub. I find myself doing more and more because I am liking the results it is giving plus I just feel so much better!

oh, and iluvindiana, my center stated that this is one of the conditions of being on an MRC plan: moderate exercise, multivitamin, omega 3's.

Last edited by Joy2MeNu; 11-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6''

No one mentioned exercise for a long time into my first time around with MRC. Granted, that was probably smart since I wasn't in a place to want to hear about exercise while I was learning to eat this crazy plan. Once I got close to about 60-75lbs down though, I plateaued hard and they told me that exercise would push me over the edge of it. So...I tried that. It did the job. I kept it up until halfway through my pregnancy when I quit doing anything healthy (not a good plan...) which is why i'm back here.

Anyway...I have a gazelle and I ran on that before. I bought it because its a cheaper piece of equiptment and I didn't want to invest in something before i knew I'd stick with it. I've been throwing around the idea of getting back into it. I got up to about a mile or two a day...5 days a week. Not alot, but it was an improvement.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Height: 5'5"

I am wondering what pieces of exercise equipment others have bought and liked. Or is a gym membership a better way to go?
iluvindiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvindiana View Post
I am wondering what pieces of exercise equipment others have bought and liked. Or is a gym membership a better way to go?
I've done both and it's so individual. In the past--I've have a manual treadmill in our basement that I like to walk on and "treat" myself by watching taped shows that I missed at work....but sometimes I got to it, sometimes I didn't.

Right now we have a gym membership close to our home and I like the zumba classes..but I'm going month by month with it...as I may change to something else after awhile.....

In the past have done walking around neighborhood and that worked great too...

Whatever can keep you moving!
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #11  

I know for me I like at home workouts. Quite frankly I am LAZY and see it as a hassle to go to the gym (when I go you know I have to look cute while I am working out a sweat! Ha Ha!) I just like the convience of being at home, I don't have to worry about looking stupid if I do a wrong move or am not understanding the flow of a glass.

iluvindiana, what ever you decide to do go easy on yourself and ease your body into doing more activities. Unfortunately, I tend to go out like gang busters. I jump into the deep end of the pool knowing full well I can't swim or drink up all that water.

If you go the way of fitness dvds let me know. There's an 70% chance I own the program and can tell you about it. Also place like you tube or exercisetv may have snipits of videos so you can get an idea what an exercise is like. Also some cable stations offer a free exercise channel. Sometimes the full dvd exercises are on there like 30 day shred, biggest loser workouts, Kim Kardashian fit into your jeans, Carmen Electra etc.

For the past month I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds (WATP,) Pilates, a little bit of Hip Hop Abs, and a smidge of Turbo Jams. I am a bit overzealous now and want to kick it up a bit. I am going to begin doing Turbo Jams about 5-6 times a week. I'd like to keep doing Pilates but that will take me over the 300 mark. I'll get if figured out.

Also don't forget--for every 15 minutes you workout you need to drink 8oz. (I thought that was pretty crappy too. I already feel like I might suffer from water intoxication as it is.)