Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #1  

Default Doctors

Went to a new doctor a few days ago, overall a very positive experience.

But...WHY does every skinny doctor want to test the poor fat girl for the diabetes every five minutes???? I have honestly been tested for it at least three times a year for the last 4 years.

I do have several gastrointestinal problems that I have had since bf (before fat lol) and the doctors never want to believe that everything on earth can't be solved by just losing weight.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 22, when I was somewhat below a healthy weight. Since then doctors keep insisting if I could just lose weight it would go away...yeah right, my genetic predisposition for it will just vanish lol.

It's so hard to convince doctors that the health problems I currently experience DID exist when I was at or below a healthy weight.

I know one poster who is a doctor stated they got little or no training in obesity and related issues. Is this why they all think if we'd just lose some weight we wouldn't need them?? lol

Just needed to vent about this thanks for reading.
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Give the medical profession a break. It is a fact that obesity is a factor in diabetes and in high blood pressure. They are just doing their job and I, for one, am glad about that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I would ask for the results of any lab results for my personal records and share these with your doctor when you see them. Then they could record that in your records so they wouldn't keep asking for the tests.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I definitely understand they are just doing their jobs- but I would assume if you switch doctors they would be asking your previous doctor for a copy of your medical records? That's what mine did when I switched- I signed a form and they sent my new doctor all my records to look at.

You could always refuse another test right? Maybe say "I already tested for this recently I don't want to be tested again- contact my past doctor's office for the results." Specially if it's been within a year that you were last tested and you haven't gained weight since then.

Last edited by beerab; 11-28-2009 at 08:09 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #5  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

Wow tiggergirl was just venting. I know this is a free-will site or whatever you want to call it. I am with tiggergirl...everything isn't because of our weight. And if I could have lost weight sooner I would have! It is okay to tell a doctor no. And it is okay to find a doctor that understands us... my weight loss has nothing to do with what a doctor said or didn't say. People in my life have tried all sorts of ways to encourage me to loose weight...both negative and positive.

My bil, who happens to be a doctor, takes cholesterol medication...he is a great wieght, eats and exercises regularly...BUT it is heredity. You know if he was overweight that would be the focus. Sometimes and I say sometimes our health concerns are NOT JUST BECAUSE we are overweight. Loosing weight does not solve everything...it sure as heck can help -- I know that. Tiggergirl...I understand your vent. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Doctor's are so busy and see so many patients. I am not offended if they ask something "I think they should know" . I would rather have them ask than omit something important. If you don't think you need the test or just don't want it , you can refuse.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well, I agree that not everything is caused by being overweight.

That said, doctors test for diabetes whenever someone is at greater risk, and overweight/obese people are at much greater risk. Untreated diabetes can kill, so it's really important to have regular testing--even if one isn't overweight.

I lost a dear friend to untreated diabetes--she knew she had it, but she didn't do anything about it, didn't follow directions, didn't see her doctor. Oh, and did I mention she was obese?

Although some forms of high blood pressure are hereditary, losing weight generally does help to lower HBP--mostly because people include exercise in their weight loss program. And it is a LOT better than taking those terrible statin meds.

I'm sorry you have had such a frustrating experience, though.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #8  

doctors is the plural
doctor`s is the possessive
boomer in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #9  

ty all for the support.

Last edited by tiggergirl9; 11-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.
tiggergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #10  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

plural possessive.... my writing on here is random thoughts. I done did right all the college papers i gonna do. I have my B.S. degree and we all know what that means...bull sh*t
Old 11-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
plural possessive.... my writing on here is random thoughts. I done did right all the college papers i gonna do. I have my B.S. degree and we all know what that means...bull sh*t
Yeah, my grammar can be spotty when I'm just trying to get a thought out, too. This is definitely not the place for grammar police

Tiggergirl, it's frustrating to have to go through the same tests everytime you see the doctor, especially when your only "symptom" is your weight. I don't think it's obesity that doctors are ill-trained in, but nutrition and weightloss itself. A lot of doctors do not understand the complexities of losing weight and tend to think along "one size fits all" patterns. They see an overweight person and they automatically test for diabetes, for example. While it's great to be thorough, it's easy for doctors to dismiss ailments not directly related to obesity- or dismiss the patient all together, which is something I found in my experience as an obese patient.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had more than my fair share of doctors who made false assumptions about my weight - both thinking I HAD to be sick because I was fat - OR dismissing my concerns, assuming that there was nothing wrong with me that a diet wouldn't fix.

All that being said - doctors are testing for diabetes among ALL age and weight groups much more frequently and in populations they haven't in the past (even thin adults and children) - because it's showing up much more frequently in people that they never would have tested before.

My husband weighed 330 lbs when I nagged him to be tested for diabetes (he was always thirsty and peeing a lot). He was only 32, and even WITH his weight, his doctor dismissed the need for the test because hubby was "too young, and too active" (despite being heavy, he had an extremely active and strenuous job and went to the gym 3x a week). The doctor and hubby were surprised that my suspicions were correct.

Also - we also learned that hubby has had a type of dermatitis on his legs since high school that could have been associated with the diabetes - so he could actually have had the diabetes all that time (when he wasn't yet overweight). They never tested for diabetes then - and attributed the dermatitis to some sort of allergy. Now that his blood sugar is under control, the rash has all but disappeared (except for the scars from scratching).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-29-2009 at 01:55 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #13  
I'm fat.

S/C/G: 260.8/see ticker/145

Height: 5"6

I'm on Team Tigger. Obnoxious doctors are right up there with stores that only carry sizes 2,4,6.
BoobsNotBombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #14  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

Team Tigger.... I like that! Can I be a cheerleader for the team? Do u think they have cheerleader skirts in size 26? Do we have our colors picked out yet?

Happy day to all! Life is a journey and full of ups and downs. Be gentle with yourself today...that is my goal.

Cathy
Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #15  

I'm on the doctors side. With all the people who are only too happy to file a lawsuit these days, it's better to test than have someone come back and sue you for malpractice because they had diabetes and you didn't catch it. Unfortunately, obesity is directly related to a host of illnesses and diseases so it is only prudent to do these basic tests.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote