Cooking Tips and Questions - turkey leftovers???

View Full Version : turkey leftovers???

crcossel
11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Ok so this is my first time of having the turkey carcass left here. I pretty much bought dinner. (As a side note thanksgiving cost the same a 2 normal weeks for us.)

So I have this turkey carcass and I thought I should make something and freeze like my mom used to do when I was younger.

Can someone direct me?

Candice

platformnine
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
My mom and mommom always make soup with leftover carcasses

Mollewogg
11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I've never made it, but I have had it before...Google Turkey Tettrazini.

RMatS
11-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I always take my leftover broccoli and cheese sauce (my son's requirement for Thanksgiving), throw in some Minute Rice, a little onion and a bunch of the turkey and make a casserole even the boy will eat. And sometimes a turkey pot pie with a premade crust, can of cream soup, at least a cup of frozen vegetables, turkey and some onion, of course.

But soup freezes way better, so it's good to do when you have a lot to use up.

retiredone
11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Take your turkey carcass and remove as much meat as you can. Lay it aside in the frig while you finish with the bones.

Take the bones and put in a large pot or kettle and fill with water and simmer the bones for about an hour or so. Cool down and drain the liquid off. Place this in the frig and let it get cold. The fat should rise to the top and harden and you'll be able to take it off quite easily. Use this turkey stock and the left-over turkey to make soup or casseroles.

For turkey soup take whatever quantity stock you think you'll need and add diced onions and celery. Bring to a boil and then add 1 or 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, 1 diced potato, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until vegetables are almost cooked. Then add some of the left-over turkey that you've cut up in bite sized piece. At this time you can add canned tomatoes if you wish and bring back to a simmer. Rice or macaroni added is also nice if you aren't carb counting. You can use any vegetable you'd like.

The turkey stock and left-over turkey can also be frozen in 2 or 3 cup portions to be used later.

cathydoe
11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Do u want ideas for the turkey carcuss or for left over turkey? Cathy

crcossel
11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Well mostly for the carcus. The sliced off turkey we figure will work for turkey sandwiches and stuff.

cathydoe
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I did a search on google for "turkey carcuss" and there was a lot of recipes. A thought 4 u!

Cathy

Teachyrchildren
11-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Kalyn's Kitchen has a collection of healthy recipes for turkey leftovers, here: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/11/turkey-leftover-recipes-from-kalyns.html

I'm making soup, and also her Brown Rice Turkey Casserole.