Weight Loss Surgery - curious about pre op testing

View Full Version : curious about pre op testing

2muchbackend
11-23-2009, 05:14 AM
I finally am going to go through surgery. I was told I need to get a chest x-ray and blood work from my primary dr. I went to her and she acted like I was crazy acting like the surgeon is the one who is supposed to send me for it. How was it done by everyone's surgeon?
I have another appt with my primary tomorrow so I'll ask for further clarification but I don't understand why she can't order it for me?

ladybugnessa
11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
my surgeon ordered the chest xray (just writes a scrip for it)

but my primary had to do a surgical preop... and sometimes they can order the xray and blood work...

sounds to me like your PCP is not totally 100% supportive of the WLS

jiffypop
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
hmmm. let me see if i can remember that far back - PCP ordered the chest xray - and the blood work [adding in anything else she could think of].

your primary MIGHT not be as supportive of the WLS as she could be, as Nessa said, but i've also seen and heard of primaries pulling this stuff for people undergoing other surgeries. in fact, one of my friends had to have a hysterectomy for a possible cancer, and she bounced back and forth between her primary and the surgeon for about 3 weeks! just trying to get one of them JUST ONE OF THEM to order the blood work.

annie175
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
My surgeon did everything from her office, keeps it from confusion.

jillybean720
11-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I did everything through my PCP since my surgeon's office staff left much to be desired.

sindurella
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I had all of that threw my primary care.. Surgeon didn't do anything.

2muchbackend
11-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Well My Primary just needed a list of what was needed she didn't want to just take my work so I gave her the list from the surgeon. Thanks for the replies.
I have to do a consult next week with the surgery center to see if It's ok to do on my messed up abdomen I have a huge C-section scar and an umbilical/incisional hernia. So we'll see.