Exercise! - Shin pain when running

View Full Version : Shin pain when running

angee phalangee
11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I've been starting to run for the past 2 months or so, and I absolutely love it. The only problem is that I have pretty rough pains in my shins when I run. Is there something I'm doing wrong that's causing them to hurt? Is there any way to avoid the pain and avoid getting splints?

algebraashley
11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
there are a few exercises one can do to prevent shin splints

http://www.fitsugar.com/6123417

Aclai4067
11-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Def. try those foot tapping exercises. That's what my sister's trainer told her to do when she was training for her 1/2 marathon. I've been told good shoes can make a difference as well.

Ilene
11-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Here's another link: Prevent and Treat Shin Splints (http://walking.about.com/cs/medleg/ht/htshinsplints.htm)... My MacAfee would not let me go to the other link....

kittycat40
11-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the link! The other day I had one of those fabulous runs, even told a friend how awesome it was. Sure'nuff had me some sore shins the next day....

I will practice the lifts at my desk tomorrow :)

AR4life
11-23-2009, 01:10 AM
I agree, the toe taps worked for me and a good pair of running shoes. :)

angee phalangee
11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks so much for the links! I'm definitely going to start trying those special exercises.

In terms of good running shoes...what makes one better than another? I have some asics that I wear for everything, but I don't know that they're necessarily "running" shoes. What makes the difference?

Aclai4067
11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Asics should be pretty good, most runners I've talked to swear by them. The other key to good running shoes is getting fitted for the proper shoe. I don't know what stores you have around you. Here we have Fleet Feet. They measure your foot, and look at the way you walk/run to find the best shoe for you.

Ilene
11-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Angee a reputable running store will help you a LOT... Asics for some are the best, like me :D, but for others they're horrible... It's worth every penny getting a good pair of runners...

mayness
11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
In terms of good running shoes...what makes one better than another? I have some asics that I wear for everything, but I don't know that they're necessarily "running" shoes. What makes the difference?

My shins ached just reading this statement. :D Go to a running store, where they watch you run and help you find the right shoes based on that. It might even help to bring your old shoes with you, so they can see what part of the bottom wears down the fastest, that can help them figure out what your feet are doing as well. And once you get running shoes - ONLY wear them for running! Don't wear them out by doing other activities in them when you could just wear cheap cross-trainers for the other stuff. (I gave up on running and started wearing my shoes to play tennis... then decided to start running again, and OUCH!)

angee phalangee
11-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you all for the great advice!! I plan to go to Fleet Feet this weekend and get fitted for some running shoes. I'm so excited! :)