Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

Default How much do daily circumstances affect your workouts?

I've never, ever been a runner. I also always work out right after work, around 6, and at most, i can jog at 5.5 mph for no more than 15 minutes. Also, this week was TOM, i was stressed about work, didn't sleep very well, and i could just tell my workouts were just not as intense. You can imagine my surprise, then, when yesterday morning, after a good nights sleep and a good breakfast (the power protein plate from starbucks is awesome!), I went to the gym and ran for 35 minutes straight. I couldn't believe! I just kept going! I've never gone over 15 minutes!

so, my question is, is it weird that this happened, should i be able to do the 35 minute jog everyday? or are there others out there like me who can only do these fluke workouts when all the conditions are right??

thanks!
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

my sleep and eating affects my workouts a lot. At my last workout I was well rested but hadn't eaten the most balanced meals before, and I was able to complete my workout but I felt like I had extra weights attached to me the whole time. The day before that, I had eaten well but was sleep deprived, and I couldn't even finish my normal workout. Making sure you rest and eat balanced meals makes a HUGE difference in your potential!

oh and running at 5.5 for 15 min is awesome. I'm still just starting out and have worked up to 5.0mph for 4 min

Last edited by Aclai4067; 11-22-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

If I haven't gotten enough sleep or haven't been eating as well as I should or even if I'm stressed out about school, my workouts suffer. That's why I like classes more than just going at the treadmill myself, because then there is someone to remind me when I'm slacking! That being said, I'm still on the treadmill a few times a week. So, long story short, you are definitely not alone in this, daily ups and downs totally play a roll in my workouts.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 6

I've found that I can workout the hardest and longest when I work out in the morning, but no immediately after waking up. If I work out right after I wake up or in the evening, I can't go as long or as hard. This may have been the difference for you too!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

It's mainly in relation to my caffeine LOL. I've started having a cup right before my husband comes home because I workout when he gets home. That helps me power through my workouts better. I have a 10 month old and a 2 1/2 year old so by daily circumstances absolutely affect my workouts. On days that I have a tough day with them I typically run harder and faster. I guess I have some aggression to get out! Better to take it out on the pavement than on my sweet little angels!
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I definitely find some days are better than others and sometimes there is no logical reason for it. One day it might be a struggle to do my usual 5 mile run and then the very next I might feel so awesome I go and do a few miles extra!

Even if I am tired I will push through it, I always feel so energised afterward. I'm sick at the moment with a double ear infection which is driving me insane. I have just started running again...slowly slowly lol, cause the body is willing but I know I shouldnt be pushing it.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote