Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Dealing with failed expectations- pic

I haven't been 160 pounds since I was a kid. In fact, I haven't been under 200 pounds since I was a kid. So, needless to say, I had big expectations about one should look like at 160. I am only about 15 pounds overweight, and it sure doesn't look like it. I can't stand it- this is what I expected my body to look like at 190 or 200, but not 160. I'm only about 15 pounds away from goal, and now it seems like I'm just going to have to keep going and going. Am I ever going to be a normal size?

Is there something wrong with me that I still look like this at this weight?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited by kelly315; 11-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Keep in mind you're your own harshest critic. I'll be exstatic when I get that small. And since you are smaller now, another 15 pounds lost is going to look more dramatic than it did at your highest weight. Don't let yourself get discouraged before you've even made it. You can assess whether or not you feel you need to continue once you reach goal. For now, just push for that original goal. I think those 15 pounds are going to change more than you think.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 11-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #3  

Do you think you were more toned as a kid? I'm not sure how old you are now, but my doctor said it you can maintain the same weight as childhood but it takes more work to do it as you get older. It does suck to get to a goal weight and realize that things just aren't the same as before.

I don't know because I've never weight trained, but I've heard that weight training will help tone. I personally wouldn't worry about it until you take off the last 15 pounds, and then assess the situation.

I looked at your before/after pics and you've already had such a great, dramatic transformation!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Ashley,
Thanks- normally I would agree with you, but I have a picture of me from 10 pounds heavier, and 15 pounds heavier, and the differences are minimal. Thanks for your answer, however.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #5  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I think you look FABULOUS actually! In fact, I could only hope to look 1/2 that good when I'm that weight *sigh*... Certain parts of my body will never look that way though (I'd kill for your stomach).

Maybe, if anything, you could work on toning. That'd probably tighten things up a bit and you'd FEEL smaller even if you aren't that much.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

I understand. Your body looks ALOT like mine yet I have to hear all the time how I am fine blah blah blah. It doesn't help that my friends that I hang out with most of the time look WAY better than me and don't have to try. But having lost those last 15 lbs before.....I know it does make a BIG difference. Have faith!
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #7  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I agree with Ashley, get to your goal then re-assess if that's where you want to be. What kind of exercise do you do? Do you incorporate strength and core training with any cardio that you do? I've found that by including those kind of exercises from the beginning of my journey that it's helped so much with loose skin. I would suggest adding some core training into your workouts and you'll be toned up in no time!

Jillian Michael's and the TBL crew use strength training during their circuit training to maximize fat burn, as well as strengthen the muscles.
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I think you'd look great, I'd love to look like you!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I think you are looking great - I am really impressed by how lovely your skin is. I lost a lot less weight than you did and I have lot more sag. At 160 lbs, I was in a size 16 and much bigger than you (as far as I can remember - it has been awhile!)

As far as goal weights, you are 5'4" and your ultimate goal is 145?

I am 5'7", my initial goal was 150. When I reached 150, I wasn't happy so I kept losing weight. I ended up around 130.

I had never been 130lbs. Maybe, for a few weeks in high school as I zipped past it, so my final weight and how I looked was a huge surprise. A wonderful, pleasant surprise.

Yes, I did feel like I lost weight forever. It took me about 6 months to go from 200 lbs to 140 lbs. Then, it took me 9 months to lose the last 10 lbs! I am not saying that to freak you out, but just to set some potential expectations about how tough it might be to lose that bit of weight.

The last 10 lbs made a huge difference for me, I ended up a size 6.

I was a lot older than you when I started and my body is still not perfect. Like I said, I have some sagging skin on my belly, upper inner thighs and under my arms. My body is still shaped the same as when I was heavy - I'm still a short waisted pear. I have come to accept and love myself and my new body - it is not perfect but it looks so much better. I look awesome in clothes (and a good sexy bra with uplift!!) so shopping is a joy. I have a closet full of great clothes and I look forward to getting dressed everyday!

I don't know what to tell you about the weight you were as a kid, except to say that few adult women go back to their childhood shape. With the ability to bear children, comes with the extra body fat to bring those children into the world as healthy as possible. A womanly shape is beautiful!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think the next 10 or 15 pounds will make a bigger difference than you realize. That's been true for me.

Also, I see nothing wrong with the way you look at 160. Perhaps you should adjust your expectations.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #11  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I know you are probably tired of hearing this but: OMG you look really good! I would love to have your cute tummy! You are doing such great job and you shouldn't let yourself get discouraged.

You are much farther along the journey than I am, so I can't give much advice about the last 10-15 lbs but what the others are saying makes sense. Reassess when you get to your original goal weight, until then if you are not already doing so, do some weight training. up the intensity. I've heard Jillian say thousands of times that lunges and squats really help condition and lift the booty area and what not. Do some research on some weight training dvd's you can do at home. I've heard a lot of good things about the 'chalean extreme' series. 3fc even has a thread for it in the exercise dvd forum. I ended up ordering it and am anxious to start it. I haven't yet because I'm letting a back ache heal up first just to be sure I don't really mess myself up.

I always look at your progress pics when I need a boost because youhave done such a fantastic job! Keep it up!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

you look really good. I think you should incorporate more weights into your routine. I think you would tone up fast. That's all I see by the way, you could tone a little more, but other than that fantastic!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Whoa! You look fantastic! I think if you just tone up you will be a lot happier with the way you look! I hope I have such a great stomach when I get to goal!

Last edited by justaloozer; 11-21-2009 at 02:15 PM.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Hang in there! The magnitude of each pound lost seems to change as you get closer. At 152, I've got muffin top and cellulite. At 149, I don't. I've made that round trip a couple times in the last 6 weeks, and all I can say is you're on the threshold of seeing some enormous changes. Keep up with the pictures every 5 pounds ... seriously!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I agree with Glory. Sometimes weight goals have to be adjusted as you travel down. I adjusted mine--first was to leave obese, then to leave overweight and then I went down from there according to what was right for me. You have come so far. Claim your success thus far! Own that success and if you aren't happy with the way things are looking, keep going! Obviously you know how to do it--you are doing it and have done it. You are in a great position here! Yay you!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 11-21-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote