Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Just doesn't understand...

My husband, for about two months, has been watching what he eats. He's cut out the snacking, started eating the breakfast and lunch I send with him to work and is eating smarter at dinner. And he's working out. So far he's lost 20 pounds.

But it's killing me! To maintain I'm working out 5 days a week and eating 1,650-1,750 calories a DAY. He's working out twice a week, maybe, and can eat 2,500 calories and LOSE weight. My mind is getting all kinds of screwed up helping him count his calories and keeping mine in check. When I'm completely done for the day, he can have dessert or a second helping. Maybe it's calorie jealousy on my part.

Tonight is going to be a problem. His mom's birthday is tonight, and the family tradition is to order pizza and have cake at her place. Fine. Two problems: 1) I get to get the pizza since I'm going to be going through the city where the pizza place is (30 miles away) this evening. 2) I can either starve all day long and eat tonight, or eat as normal, have two pieces of pizza and be starving all night long.

My husband just doesn't get it. He can eat every single thing I eat today and STILL have 1,000 calories to burn by supper time. He can eat normally all day and doesn't comprehend why I can't. I made a pancake for breakfast (found the recipe on 3FC - it was GOOD and 149 calories for a HUGE pancake)...and he's just said, "See, that's why you can't eat pizza tonight. You were determined to have pancakes today."

I'm doing the best I can with this, I really am. I'm combing the Pizza Hut site to see if there's anything I can eat, but the only problem is I'm in the minority - everyone else wants hand-tossed supreme or pepperoni. Like I said...by tonight I can have one, maybe two pieces. That's not supper.

Just griping today...need to get it out!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #2  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I would say eat what you want, one day off plan won't kill you!

Also, Bisquick buttermilk pancakes is 160 calories for 3 4" pancakes I put reduced fat peanut butter on mine it works out to something like 340 cals for breakfast. And it's super tasty and super filling!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

Were I in your shoes, I'd probably eat what I wanted on special occasions and not worry about the calories then reduce the number of calories to 1400 over the next several days to make up for it if I happened to gain weight from one day of being somewhat indulgent. I'm not suggesting you eat a ton or anything, but just that you sample the goodies until you are satisfied. (Chances are that copious indulgence would make you sick anyway.)

I'm surprised that you need so few calories to maintain given your activity level and height. You look fabulous though!
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I know what you are talking about.

My bf is also losing weight with me and he can have "off" days but weigh-ins he still loses 2-3 lbs lol. He gets a calorie allowance of 1900 calories (without exercise) and still lose 2 lbs a week. I get 1140 calories (without exercise/activity)...

He has the allowance to grab a snack before bedtime ... eat a bit more .. snack a bit more.. and still lose.

Does your husband understand how many calories you get to eat every day? When I told my bf that I only get 1140 calories he was in shock.. and felt bad for me.

InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #5  

I think I could probably maintain at a higher rate...I've just been too "number shocked" to raise it...I need to do it really badly though...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #6  

I've explained it to him, regarding the calories I can eat versus what HE can eat...but he doesn't REALLY get it since he can eat so much more than I can. I think I'll make it ok...venting really, really helped!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is a fact of life, men lose easier than women. It is maddening, but true.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #8  

We're gonna need three larges...so we're getting thin crust cheese, a thin crust pepperoni and a thin crust "ham" since Pizza Hut no longer calls it "Canadian Bacon." Think the "ham" pizza is my best bet, though I can't find a calorie count for "ham" only...
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I suggest that you stop by the grocery store on the way to pick up the pizza and grab a small salad (if you like salads). That way you can have your salad and a slice of pizza with enough room to spare for a small slice of cake. This is what I'm doing next week because my mom really wants pizza when she comes over to our house. So I'll buy salad too so that I can eat healthily.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Mindi, I eat pizza every Friday night--plus soda and sometimes popcorn.

I have started getting 1/2 veggie and 1/2 cheese. On the veggie side is truly fresh veggies and red sauce ONLY. I love it--believe it or not, I hardly miss the cheese. Would it be possible for you to get it done this way?

By the way, I only eat Papa Murphys pizza. Any chance of having one close by? They have personal size pizzas for like $3. All the vegetables are fresh and they make it right in front of me--like Subway. I know exactly what is in/on it.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 11-20-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

We've got access to a Dominos and a Pizza Hut, and both are 30 miles away...I know Pizza Hut also has "Fit and Delicious" options...but not at THIS one, of course!

I'm just now getting into a love of veggies...I think I'd need to try a small one on my own before committing to a large. May try to get a personal sized one...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have had vegetarian pizza and it is really delicious and would save a few calories but of course the crust and the cheese have a lot of the calories in a pizza. Stiil vegetarian saves some calories. When I am served pizza , someplace where I have no choice in what is served. I don't eat the crust, if anyone thinks I am a picky eater, so be it.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-20-2009 at 11:19 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Mindi, maybe have some pizza and then have a salad or grilled/steamed veggies along with it.

They won't add too many calories to your day and they'll be filling, and you can enjoy the pizza. I do this when our office orders pizza. My boss can be kind of a b*tch about people not eating pizza when they order it in (b/c they pay) so I always bring a steamer bag full of veggies, so I have one 1 slice of cheese pizza and they I fill up on veggies. It helps if you eat the veggies first, so by the time you get to the pizza you're full.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #14  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

2 things: I am also number shocked about upping my calories for maintenance. I'm shorter than you and workout and eat about the same. Also, this is kind of the flipside of your problem, but my bf has gained about 10lbs in the last couple of months but it was baffling bc he didn't look any different, if anything trimmer, and he just told me the other day that he's been going to the gym secretly for 2 months now (he lives 2hrs away and we only see each other on weekends) and wanted to see how long it would take me to notice. I tried to impart on him how lucky he has it, being able to build 10lbs of muscle in 2 months. I can't even fathom how long it would take my body to lay down 10lbs of muscle.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #15  

I'll have to have the salad before we go to her house...but I think I can get one in....