Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #1  

Default Morning Motivation?

Hi everyone,

I have had absolutely zero motivation to work out in weeks. I never liked working out, but in the past I always forced myself to (and as a result, I was thinner and in better shape).

The best time for me to work out is in the morning before work for these reasons:
1. The gym is empty which I love
2. It sets the "healthy precedent" for the day
3. I never want to do anything after work except go out with friends or stay in with my dog and boyfriend

However, when I wake up I have absolutely no rational thoughts whatsoever. My drive and dedication are defeated by my sleepiness.
Are there any morning work-outers that have conquered this? And what gets you out of bed?

Thanks!

Last edited by twinklebug; 11-18-2009 at 01:01 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I *have* to *decide* the night before when I'm getting up. If I have *any* debate with myself in the morning about, it's all over.

No matter how healthy and well-rested I am, I never (or very rarely), feel like getting up before it's too late (too late meaning my back hurts, I have a headache, and I feel fatigued all day).

I have to pop up instantly and head to the bathroom, before thought even engages. Thought is deadly.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-18-2009 at 01:21 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #3  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

What gets me out of bed is the knowledge that working out is not an option and that if I don't do it in the morning, I have to do it in the evening, and for me, that's worse than in the morning.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvied View Post
What gets me out of bed is the knowledge that working out is not an option and that if I don't do it in the morning, I have to do it in the evening, and for me, that's worse than in the morning.
Same here. When I started working out the morning was the most convenient time, because of my job. It got to be a habit (and I'm a morning person anyway). But there are days when I just want to hit snooze and stay in bed. It's those mornings when I lie there and tell myself "Just get UP. You KNOW you won't do it later. Do it NOW!" If I need a little extra motivation, I'll dredge up the image of the scale reading in the 220s, before I ever started. It's an image burned on my memory, and one I don't want to see in person ever again...It gets me up.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #5  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I agree with these ladies.

I have to be at work at 6 am so for me to get in a workout and have time to shower and eat a healthy breakfast, I need to get up at 350

I have to make sure I get my 8 hours of sleep (which sucks because I'm in bed crazy early...) And there are even days when I get enough sleep that I just want to grump and throw fits etc. lol

But in the beginning i just did it. My alarm would go off and I would just jump out of bed and start doing my am routine before my mind could catch up. I just focused on the mundane tasks of getting dressed and teeth brushing etc. and gradually getting up for a workout became a firmly set habit. Now it's not as hard to get up (some days it still sucks) but it's absolutely manageable for me now.

You can do this! Just stick to it and make it a habit.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. And MindiV - I should just post your before and after pictures next to my bed as motivation - you look awesome!
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Thanks, twinklebug! I had to post that on here a week or so ago to remind myself where I came from...the "snacking" bug had bitten me and I need to get OUT of that habit!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I am the same -- I give myself Monday's off but every other day --just get up and get at it!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Eek! This is exactly what I need, motivation for the morning workouts!! I know that I need to start working out in the morning, but like you, twinklebug, the moment I start thinking about it, I let myself drift right back to sleep. So I'm going to try out the morning workouts, they really are at the most convenient time for me, and knowing that it is done with is a great feeling.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #10  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

The night before, I make sure my workout clothes and shoes are put together, and that the living room is not a horrible mess (I do workout dvd's at home) and I set the coffee on auto. Smelling the brewed coffee when I turn off the alarm gets me out of bed. The virtuous feeling when I'm done working out is great!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #11  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

What gets me up to exercise on weekday mornings:

Boot camp at 5:30 am 3 days a week and knowing other folks will know if I'm not there.

My ipod to walk with the other 2 days if the weather cooperates.

EVERYTHING laid out the night before: workout clothes, work clothes, breakfast planned, lunch in the fridge.

Fitlinxx tracking system points that I earn for every minute of cardiovascular exercise.

Knowing how good I will feel when I finish.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote