100 lb. Club - I'm bringing my backslidden backside back to 3fc...

toastedsmoke
11-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

I haven't been on for a month with moving continents, settling into the new job et al., and everything is going great, except that I have majorly fallen of the wagon and I'm finding it a little difficult motivating myself to actually do what I need to in order to get back on. I was doing calorie counting and had settled into that (I was quite a calorie ****) but now I don't have control over preparation of any of my meals except breakfast and African food is kind of dense and calorie-intense and oh-so-good in that way that everything that's bad for you is... Anyway I've kind of been a mess diet wise.

As for exercise, I'm on and off. I joined a gym and have had a couple of weeks when I'm really dedicated and then a couple when I've been awful. And even though the diet is not 100% within my control, the exercise is and I know I should be better.

When I left New Orleans a month ago, I was 234 lb and over the past 3 weeks I've stayed around 236 lbs which I suppose considering how badly I've backslidden isn't irreparably horrible. What it means though is that I'm totally off-plan to be 207 lbs by Christmas (maybe I'll make that my valentine goal)... quite honestly at this point if I can be 225 lb by the end of the year (Dec. 31), I'll consider it a huge huge success because that would mean I lost 50 lbs in 2009. Anyway so that's what I'm working towards,now. So to that end, I'm stating here (in the hopes it will keep me accountable), I need to do the following:
1.) get back in control of what I eat, at least quantity-wise,
2.) make the best food choices for my plan as opposed to my favourite
3.) stop snacking on crap just because the people around me are
4.) exercise at least 30 minutes in some form everyday
5.) weigh in 2ce a week and stop avoiding the scale so that I can ignore the damage I'm doing
6.) remind myself why this is important and visit 3fc at least 3ce a week for accountability and support.

Ok so it's about 2a.m. and I'm about to go to bed. When I wake up, no more fooling around... I need to get back on plan. It's good to be back and hopefully being back here will inspire me as it did before.... My month of putzing is over. Back to work!

bargoo
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Good luck on your decision to get back on plan !

toastedsmoke
11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you!

Late to the game
11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
That's the idea! No looking back, you have come so far! Good luck!

LitChick
11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
It sounds like you are in the right mindset, you've got a plan and are refocused. You can do it!

Judy Lynn
11-18-2009, 08:17 AM
You can do it TS! I know you can.

TJFitnessDiva
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
You can do it girlie!!! :)

Kae
11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
It sounds like you have some ideas as to how you can take the control back... now it's just time to put them into action. Welcome back!

cathydoe
11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Welcome back!

Cathy

ubergirl
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
First, just how cool is that to have your sign in location as Africa! I think you're doing well just to have more or less maintained.

Sticking on plan during big upheavals must be double hard.

You have done so well so far! I'm sure you'll be right on the losing track soon.

dragonwoman64
11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
that thread title was just too funny! thanks for the laugh.

congrats on the weight you've lost! and you have a great plan. it's not easy when your foods are turned upside down like that, going to a new country.

HeaterAS
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
You can do it! Weight loss is about ups and downs and lessons learned.

Lori Bell
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't understand...if there is so much calorie dense delicious food in Africa, why do we keep getting the mail/TV/telephone solicitations about all the starving children in Africa? (I realize Africa is a huge continent) and I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I truly don't understand how a person could gain weight in an area where we are told that millions are going hungry.

heidiruth
11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Good luck and you can do it!! Just have to stay motivated!!

LitChick
11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't understand...if there is so much calorie dense delicious food in Africa, why do we keep getting the mail/TV/telephone solicitations about all the starving children in Africa? (I realize Africa is a huge continent) and I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I truly don't understand how a person could gain weight in an area where we are told that millions are going hungry.

Probably for the same reason we have overweight people here and an abundance of food, yet people go hungry every day. It's just on a larger scale over there, and like you said, Africa is huge. Perhaps the OP is living in one of the areas not afflicted by wide-scale poverty.

cfmama
11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
You CAN do this and you WILL. You just have to put your mind to it and just DO IT! Congrats on taking that very important step again :)

ChristaP516
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Welcome Back!

Slashnl
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Good to see you again. You can do it!!!

bcort
11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I've backslid my backside(?!) the past month or so, also. I'm always surprised to see that I've somehow maintained my tiny little weight loss. So, congrats to you for maintaining your loss, & good luck to us both for getting back on track!

toastedsmoke
11-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support!! :) I'm trying to stick to plan.

For those interested in the paradox of my increasing obesity in Africa where there's starvation etc as asked in the post below, apologies in advance for the length of the response:

The simple answer is just like LitChick said. It's like in New Orleans, there's a lot of people who are obese, but at the same time, there are lots of people who go hungry. The same can be said of any major city in America.

If you're interested in the long answer to the specific question:

There are children starving in Africa just like there are children starving all over the world. In Africa, this is especially true in areas affected by war and famine and AIDS, which translates to there being orphans who obviously cannot fend for themselves and their siblings and need aid. Thus the starving children in Africa that we hear about all the time. These areas where they are vary by country, and even within countries by region and tribe etc. It's not every child or in every region. There are poor families who practice subsistence farming so the children aren't starving.

Unfortunately the only part of Africa, we in America and Europe and in the developped world ever get to see unless we visit, is the starvation and war part. There is a lot more to Africa than starvation, war, poverty and flies. There's great people, culture and food and music, and a lot of things to do and see. And I wish sometimes, that part was exposed too.

I'm based in West Africa and regularly doing a lot of travelling to visit projects across the sub-region in countries that are classified as Third World, but I can say that in the 6 countries I've visited so far including the one I'm primarily based in, there are very undevelopped rural areas where not much goes on except subsistence farming and where livelihoods seem very precarious, and then there are urban areas, cities actually, with skyscrapers and cable tv (well satellite), mobile phones, traffic, cinemas, clubs and fancy hotels and restaurants and fast food (not McDonalds or BK but African fast food chains). Ok so the power and water outages mean it's not "just like America" and yes there is a lot of poverty even in the cities, and the distance between wealthy and poor is large, but there is also a rich and wonderful culture which includes very rich cuisine (which I was referring to)... palm oil is a favourite cooking oil or melted peanut butter, and vegetables are cooked for ages in it to make soups and stews, the food is heavy on oil and cooking fat, and carbs and starches are more favoured than proteins. White bread is popular and whole milk also (wheat bread and skim milk is as rare as gold dust and just as expensive)... I'm not sure why the food is so high caloric, maybe its because traditionally each meal was prepared to have the most caloric impact since it could have been uncertain where/when the next meal was coming. But that's just how the cuisine is.

I'm working on urban projects and so I'm mostly in the cities where snacks are very cheap so that even those too poor to afford a proper meal, can afford snacks... snacks include fried dough, fried plantains, fried pies, fried cookies, fried yam, fried peanuts... so if you're seeing a trend, yes there there's a lot of fried stuff... and chronic diseases (heart disease, diabetes etc) are actually on the rise in the developping world because people are living longer since antibiotics and developments with malaria medicine mean they're not dying young anymore, and are living long enough to see the impact of their diet.

I know that was super long but I was just trying to explain... because I definitely got what you were asking and thought it was important to respond.

Judy Lynn
11-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks TS, I found that very interesting.

Suezeeque
11-22-2009, 10:00 AM
That was fascinating. What kind of projects are you involved in? Now I see how difficult it is for you to find healthy food. Almost impossible really. Do you live in a compound where they are preparing your meals?

toastedsmoke
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
@ Suezeeque,

It's reproductive health projects like family planning and sexual health for urban adolescents. Exactly, in my living situation, the meals are prepared for us and we don't do any of the cooking except for maybe making the occasional cup of tea.

JuliaDH
11-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to us. I think here in North America we forget that other countries are in a process of development like West Africa and India...cultures great extremes.