100 lb. Club - What's your Thanksgiving plan?

View Full Version : What's your Thanksgiving plan?

justaloozer
11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I plan on going out to dinner (more like a late lunch) so we don't have to cook here. This way there will be no yummy tempting irresistible leftovers ;) Whatever I order will still be in my calorie limit too.

What is your plan to avoid the Thanksgiving temptations?

Kae
11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
My sister and I are doing the cooking so we're going to add some healthy options to the not so healthy menu. As for what I am doing personally, I'm just going to stick with the healthy stuff. I am skipping the appetizers and for the main meal I am planning on having turkey, asparagus, salad, a wheat roll, and maybe a couple bites of stuffing (since it's my favorite part.) I'm skipping dessert too...

time2lose
11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I will be at my daughters and will help with the cooking. There will be plenty of foods that work within my plan. Turkey works well for me and we are having lots of vegetables. I am taking a dessert that fits within my plan, chocolate sugar-free pudding on a low fat graham cracker topped with light Cool Whip. I love that and it only has 150 calories.

My daughter and I are planning a walk with the grandkids around a little lake in their neighborhood Thanksgiving afternoon. It should be an on-plan day that is really enjoyable.

I would allow myself one treat, but on Friday we are having my grandson's birthday party so I am saving my treat for Friday. However, I may just treat myself with my pudding desert. I will be so busy that food may not be an issue.

My biggest challenge will be a dinner at church the Sunday night before Thanksgiving. I am taking food that works for me, so at least there will be something low calorie. We have some fantastic cooks at our church so there will be lots of temptation!

Nada
11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
My plan is to enjoy it without stuffing myself; concentrate on the healthy options without denying myself small portions of the special dishes; try to get the leftovers out of the house as quickly as possible and not neglect my exercise routines.

I don't set the bar all that high but experience tells me to shoot for what I can accomplish on a day like that.

paris81
11-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not terribly worried, as I always feel self-concious eating in front of my family. So although the food in general is pretty high cal, I know I'm not going to go crazy.

I mean, it will be a high day, for sure, but I'll eat my fill and stop. And I'll load the plate with veggies and salad, white part of turkey (no skin, of course!), and just a little stuffing and mashed potatos, a hint of gravy for taste (it is a one day a year meal after all!), and no roll.

Nada
11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Cheryl, we have a dinner at church the Sunday before Thanksgiving too and may have something at work that week (we did last year-haven't heard anything yet and am NOT going to suggest anything) WHAT IS IT with all these extra dinners around Thanksgiving? And they all include the usual dishes.......I was sick of Thanksgiving food by the time Thursday got here last year.

diyana
11-17-2009, 10:47 AM
DH and I are going out to eat - late lunch. Then we'll come home and have his famous pumpkin pie which he makes with Splenda! Yummy! I will also do a lot of walking on T'Day and I'll be hitting the malls bright and early the day after so I'll be walking and weight lifting (all the shopping packages)! :lol:

alexandraT
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
My plan is to enjoy it without stuffing myself; concentrate on the healthy options without denying myself small portions of the special dishes; try to get the leftovers out of the house as quickly as possible and not neglect my exercise routines.

That is exactly my plan as well! I love pumpkin pie, but I plan to have only a tiny piece. I also plan to have a little serving of stuffing - it is my favorite part of thanksgiving and since I never, ever make it for myself, I will allow myself a little bit one day out of the year! I plan on filling up, however, on the green beans and turkey (white meat only of course)....

What I'm really worried about is the appetizers... the crackers and cheese, bread and some brie cheese... they're such little bites it's hard to stop from eating just one! Esp. since we usually skip lunch that day, and i'm always starving by the time appetizers are served! I'm thinking I'll make a big salad for lunch so I won't feel as hungry by the time the good stuff is served!

nelie
11-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Well since I'd be cooking, nothing would be really 'off plan'. I tend to make on plan meals even if I'm cooking for others.

Having said that, not sure if we'll do anything on Thanksgiving other than a normal day off. We might go to my inlaws although we might go Friday or Saturday after, depending on the weather. I'll make dinner for the 4 of us and we'll have a nice family dinner.

raebeaR
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
It'll just be another on-plan day for me. I must travel for business every year at this time and my destination is near my parents' home, so that's where I'll spend the holiday. I've been the Thanksgiving Chef forever, but this year, I won't be. My family can make whatever they want for Thanksgiving, and I'll follow my plan within what they serve and by filling in with my own stuff (vegetable dishes, etc.)

My biggest downfall in years past is good wine... but I haven't had a drop since I started my plan, and I'll just continue with that.

I had a terrible experience with my family some years ago, the last time I lost a bunch of weight. I had successfully lost 70 pounds (all I needed to lose at the time) and kept it off for a couple of years. Then I went to my parents' home for Christmas. Out came all the goodies: The wines, the chocolates, the cheeses, the rich appetizers and desserts... I remember feeling appalled and sick at the caloric excess. But did that stop me from stuffing myself to the gills with all these goodies, made just for me? No. No, it didn't. And that was the beginning of the end of my successful weight loss journey.

I won't let it happen ever, ever again.

Trazey34
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm Canadian, eh, so ours was last month. My plan the last few years worked out great, same with the Christmas plan. I loveeeee my mom's turkey dinner with all the fixins, so I had a plate. One plate. One normal sized plate. It was a freebie. Not a free week, not a free day. A free meal. I enjoyed it beyond all measure and had a clear conscience LOL. I didn't need or want replacement dishes for everything, I had 1 plate and enjoyed thoroughly, no leftovers (just some white turkey meat! and the bones to make stock) and everyone understands when you say no thanks to drinks or appetizers with a simple "I"m saving myself for DINNER" heheheh

Lyn2007
11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
It's going to be ONE day with *some* indulgence (maybe 2000 calories instead of 1700) but with all the traditional yummy food. I got all my recipes down pat 2 years ago and it really works for me (healthier versions of the traditionals). In case it would help anyone, here are my recipes:
Thanksgiving recipes (http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/2007/11/recipe-for-thanksgiving-success.html)

I am thankful I do not have to go to someone else's house and fight myself not to eat a bunch of heavy, fatty, sugary foods. If I did, I think I'd have to be a lot stricter with myself.

HeaterAS
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I will also eat one plate. I have to eat in two places so I will use a dessert plate at each. I will not eat dessert. I'd rather eat the savory stuff than the sweet so I won't waste my calories on dessert.

time2lose
11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Nada originally posted Cheryl, we have a dinner at church the Sunday before Thanksgiving too and may have something at work that week (we did last year-haven't heard anything yet and am NOT going to suggest anything) WHAT IS IT with all these extra dinners around Thanksgiving? And they all include the usual dishes.......I was sick of Thanksgiving food by the time Thursday got here last year.

Nada, sometimes I get sick of the Thanksgiving food too! We used to have a meal at work but started a new tradition a couple of years ago. We close shop for a couple of hours one day between Thanksgiving and Christmas and go to a restaurant. Everyone can order what they want! No one ever gets traditional holiday food!

Church events have been some of my biggest challenges this past year. I love donuts and they are at church most weeks. The meetings for the various ladies groups always have homemade sweets, a big temptation. Then there are the wedding and baby showers. If I ate the sweets for all of these, weight loss would be impossible. For the meals, I always take something that I can eat. I seldom bring home leftovers. For the events where everyone brings sweets, I always make something from my diabetic cookbook. We have a number of diabetics and they always look for my desserts.

For this Thanksgiving meal, I am taking cabbage, a salad, and a sugar free desert that I make.

rakel
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
This is going to be very difficult because I will be attending several different holiday parties, but I am responsible for bringing some dishes so I will try to make the ones I bring healthy and delicious. I just have to stick to my guns and remind myself that I don't HAVE to try EVERYTHING or have seconds! If I really want seconds, maybe I can take a plate to go and have it for dinner the next night.

ohiofreespirit
11-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Small portions is the best way for me to go. my stomach won't hold up to a bunch of food so i will have to be careful.

Sandi
11-17-2009, 02:00 PM
We eat at my mom's. The plan is no nibbling. Make a plate, eat it and be done. Just 1 helping. And then 1 dessert, so I better pick wisely. It's just a meal. I think if I make it 1 meal, even if I go over some in calories, it won't be so bad. It's the eating all day that gets me.

I am not taking any leftovers home either.

WhitePicketFences
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Small group and I am having exactly what I had last year:

-a small amount of turkey (was never a big meat-eater)
-a medium and small (respectively) amount of mashed sweet potatoes & cranberry sauce
-a medium-sized side serving of steamed brussel sprouts
-half a small-to-medium whole-wheat roll
-4.5 oz of my red wine (my current favorite wine, Old Moon from TJs)
_and_
a very small slice of my own low-sugar apple pie.*

I'm cooking most of the above. I'm doing a trial on the homemade wheat rolls right now, actually, as I haven't made them previously. There will also be pumpkin pie and green bean casserole -- not made by me -- but I'm not having any of those.

*I'm actually planning on having another slice of pie, small-to-medium slice as opposed to very small slice, over the weekend after thanksgiving, on a day when I'm having a lower-cal dinner.

TIARA
11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
im going over to my moms so no left overs at home house either.. Im gonna load up on veggies and enjoy some turkey. But im gonna have to be up early to stand in lines for black friday.. how many of you are going...i many pack turkey sandwhiches as snacks

ChrissyBean
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Well, we had Thanksgiving last month and I didn't find it at all difficult, but I don't think that the CDN version is as much of a food-fest as the American version. I don't like pumpkin pie, so skipped it altogether. We just had squash, turnip (bleh), potatoes, turkey, gravy, stuffing, and some other veggie...maybe broccoli? Anyway, it wasn't so bad. I did feel very full after dinner, though, so went for a REALLY long, brisk walk afterwards.

CLCSC145
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
One plate of food, no seconds, enjoy the heck out of it, leave the leftovers with the parents!

chicpanda
11-17-2009, 09:45 PM
I will be alone on Thanksgiving so I am not sure what I will do. I might do as I did last year, cook the feast, but spread it out -- that is soup course one day, veggies next, turkey next. etc.. this strategy helped me control the calorie count and enjoy the idea of a feast too!

Arctic Mama
11-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not worried - we eat Thankgiving type food often (turkey, cranberry sauce, etc etc) and my MIL is cooking, and she does an amazing job and is a health nut too. Dinner will likely be turkey, gravy, light stuffing, cranberry sauce, orange yams, asparagus, and my spice bread for dessert. They send us home with leftovers, but there are no unusually high calorie items in the lineup.

I'll do what I normally try to do - plan out my calories and load up on veggies first.

HeyHeyGabby
11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Mine's pretty simple: planning! I'm looking up the calories before hand (we have the same thing every year, so i know what to look up) and I'll cut down on what i eat the rest of the day (if i have to) because i wont deny myself something if i really want it.. and of course I'll be bringing my handy dandy measuring cups :)

duckyyellowfeet
11-18-2009, 03:16 AM
I, luckily, don't like a lot of Thanksgiving food. I don't care for stuffing, gravy or mashed potatoes. So those are all out.

I'm going to be baking a sweet potato at home and bringing it with me, to avoid the canned and marshmellow dotted ones my grandmother makes (can't eat marshmellows anyways, so thats fine). My mom is bringing a healthy salad that I love, so I'll eat a fair amount of that. White meat turkey, one roll, some applesauce(since we always have it) and any veggies left over from appetizers. Depending on what deserts we have, I might one a small piece, but I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan so unless I have another option, I might just avoid it all together.

I'm going to be pressured into drinking alcohol this year, since its the first holiday since I'm 21 and everyone is going to want to celebrate. But I'm not a huge wine drinker and I don't forsee much vodka being there so I'll have a celebratory glass of wine that I will hide behind some poor, unsuspecting plant.

SuchAPrettyFace
11-18-2009, 04:24 AM
I am helping my grandmother make the pasta next weekend. Meatballs are made already.

I plan on having a high protein breakfast the morning of before I leave for the city they live in. I will also have water in the car with me for the hour drive. My grandmother is in a wheelchair, and her sister broke a shoulder & wrist last year right before Christmas, so I'm guessing that means I will throw on an apron & do whatever my grandmother wants me to.

I'll take realistic portions of things I'm craving & load up on salad & fruit. Usually I don't get to sit down to eat until everyone's already eaten; there are dishes to do, and my gram is very meticulous about how she wants things done. She doesn't have daughters, so I am it. I don't mind. We usually feed 20-30 people with the traditional Italian meal, but sometimes there is a turkey as well.

I can post my fruit salad recipe, it went over well. I was lucky to get even a small bowl!!!

TJFitnessDiva
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanksgiving will be in Florida this year with my in-laws and I hope to bring something healthy to prepare at their house...along with this plan I'm going to be eating on my typical small plate & just doing portion control.

Regular food I can handle...I normally go overboard on sweets & there they always have things like pecan pie (yuck! :lol: thank goodness).

Pita09
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I have to work from 11:00am to 4:00pm that day. Afterward we are going out to eat. Probably Cracker Barrel because they will still be open.

StellarGirl
11-18-2009, 12:10 PM
When I started my plan...I promised that I wouldn't change the way that I eat on holidays or on Vacation. My thought is...what's the worst thing that can happen if you splurge on one day? I feel like I would just be deprived and sad if I didn't have what I wanted on holidays.

With that being said...since I've started my new plan I am sure that I will WANT to eat less. Anytime I eat something too rich or fatty now I feel uncomfortable and my tummy becomes kind of upset.

And just because I splurged on that day...doesn't mean that the next day I need to eat leftovers or say the whole week is ruined.
I plan on savoring every bite, eating slowly, eating what I want, but stopping when I'm full.

It's definitely a personal choice...if you're an all or nothing kind of person...it might be better for you to make sure you make yourself a different meal or create some new traditions for your family to eat on Thanksgiving.

Bottom line though...even though this answer might be unpopular on here, I say go for it. Don't build resentment toward your new lifestyle...have some wiggle room. For me...it's something to look forward to that actually KEEPS me on plan...let it be something motivational for you. For instance, my office is having a Thanksgiving party with BBQ everything and I'm going to eat before I make an appearance. (because I know I want to save my splurge for actual Thanksgiving day).
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy no matter how you choose to celebrate!

dragonwoman64
11-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I finally made some Tday decisions. I'm cutting out the stuffing this year (was a struggle, bec that's my favorite dish). My indulgence will be some champagne to go with dinner. I'm making a winter greens with mushrooms (a recipe someone here recommeded), a pork roast (loin, very lean), scalloped potatoes, cranberry sauce. I'm waffling on getting a small pumpkin tart from the bakery for us to share (definitely no home baking).

I think that has a nice sense of being a treat/holiday dinner without going hog wild overly indulgent.

Truffle
11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
When I started my plan...I promised that I wouldn't change the way that I eat on holidays or on Vacation. My thought is...what's the worst thing that can happen if you splurge on one day? I feel like I would just be deprived and sad if I didn't have what I wanted on holidays.

And just because I splurged on that day...doesn't mean that the next day I need to eat leftovers or say the whole week is ruined.
I plan on savoring every bite, eating slowly, eating what I want, but stopping when I'm full.

It's definitely a personal choice...if you're an all or nothing kind of person...it might be better for you to make sure you make yourself a different meal or create some new traditions for your family to eat on Thanksgiving.

Bottom line though...even though this answer might be unpopular on here, I say go for it. Don't build resentment toward your new lifestyle...have some wiggle room.

I tend to agree with you. I'm not going to forbid myself anything. I'm going to choose the dishes I enjoy, pass by the ones I don't care about, and just eat enough so that I don't feel so stuffed that all I want to do is run home to change into my sweat pants.

I think it might be wise to say "no, thanks" to bringing any huge slabs of pie home with us though.

diabetic z
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
This will be my first diabetic holiday season. I pretty much know that most of my high carb indulgences from the past are off the menu, but I have armed myself with new diabetic alternatives. Thanksgiving dinner will be with my immediate family (parents and sister) so nothing too stressful. Our family tradition is to hit the movie theater before dinner. This year my sister gets to choose. The Denver Broncos are scheduled to play on Thursday evening so we will definitely be cheering them on to break their current loosing streak.

FitGirlyGirl
11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
My plan is for controlled indulgence and extra exercise. I am making as many recipes as I can as healthy as I can, such as making sugar free candied yams. There are certain things we just can't change though, like my hubby's grandfather's stuffing - sure we could make healthier stuffing, but there is no way to make it healthier and still have it be anything like THAT stuffing, and I am not going to refuse to eat my favorites on Thanksgiving. For one thing, it is one day in an entire year and a little bit of stuffing (or whatever) is not going to kill me. For another thing, if I try to avoid those dishes it is going to make my hubby feel guilty that they are there to tempt me and then he will not enjoy Thanksgiving and I REFUSE to let my diet ruin his holiday. I will refuse to eat any of the leftovers of those dishes though. The only day I am allowing myself to indulge is Thanksgiving itself and the only leftovers I will be helping with are the ones that are healthy. I am going to work out on Thanksgiving and am planning to get in as many extra minutes during the following week as possible.

starfishkitty
11-25-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm with FitGirly.... there's just like no way to get away with making ANY changes to my grandma's traditional Thanksgiving fare.... it just WOULDN'T be Thanksgiving if we did! And I know I won't be able to say no to seconds... but I might be unable to help myself to thirds and fourths like I used to... my stomach has shrunk QUITE a bit this past year!

Also, this year I'm doing ALL the cooking with my grandma, and thus I am writing down EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT and actually am going to measure it all and create a portion size of each item and a calorie count! So, when we pack and freeze some of it for the coming month... I can fit it properly into my diet! :)

To be honest though, I'm kinda dreading this holiday. I've definitely hit a plateau lately... probably because I just haven't had the time to start kicking up my workouts to more than once a week like I really need to to continue weight loss... so the 2lbs that I've lost over the past few weeks will more than definitely be put back on and I know that that's going to be heart wrenching for me. I haven't even changed my ticker because of that... no point in changing it then changing it back!

However.. I know that this is just a bump in my road and its just one day... I still have a month and a half to meet my goal and even if I don't.... well, I've come a long way anyways! And a long way to go at that... :) And, after all, it's a holiday. :) I'm not really worried about backsliding because of it like some people do... so... yeah. Gonna try and enjoy without stressing and feeling too guilty (:crossed:)... though I know deep down inside I will be.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... let's do this the best we can! :happ3: