Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 05:45 AM   #1  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Default ~~Thru Thick & Thin~~ 148

Thru Thick & Thin is a group that was formed to give and receive support on our journey to take off the excess pounds and to keep them off. No matter who you are or where you are from, you're welcome here with us. We'll stand with you while you're losing and stand by you if you're not. We all have ups and downs and we need support in both.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:47 AM   #2  
American Chick!

Hey Ladies, How's it going?
I'm doing okay around here; I gained 1.5 pounds last week and lost it this week, so I'm back at the starting gate! I did figure out that the WW won't work just by buying the materials and looking at them!
Skeeter, do you have the grandbabies yet? I've no secret for getting mine up and ready; the only thing is that it helps at least to get myself ready before I get them up; then I know at least one of us is ready! Oh- I know you asked about my little dog who got mauled --he's fine---lots of stitches and drainage tubes for a couple of weeks, but he's just peachy now....the lady whose dog attacked him was nice enough to pay the bills---some $500 worth!
Mama, glad you made it thru your visit with the grandkids unscathed!
And we have some new folks (returning folks, and new folks!) I can't go back and look at the last thread and I'm trying to remember what was on it! Welcome and welcome back to you!
Mary Beth, we're planning our Virginia trip next spring---maybe I'll run into you and we can compare hipbones! (I can at least feel mine now!) No, I do need to ask you a couple of things before we finish our plans...we'll need a kennel or keeper for our above-mentioned doggie (Mama goes no where except to work without her Maltese!).
JoJo, how's it going for you? My ex hasn't made a peep since court---no money either, but now who does that surprise??? I don't particularly care about that--I've made it 9 years without any money from him, I sure don't need it now. I told Jeff if and when we ever get any, we can just start a savings account for the girls....a very small savings account, apparently!
Love to you all, and I'll be backkkkk!
Sally
224/151(AGAIN!)/120ISH
Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM   #3  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Hi to All

Just checking in really quick. I know someone asked about whether I like working or not. The answer to that is that I do and I don't. I know it helps the family through the toughest part of the year. Just recently Texas had been flooded with a down pour of rain...my DH is a truckdriver which means no work. So we are in a crunch trying to get back on our feet. So my working helps. His work is just picking up again. I don't like the fact that I work the 3rd shift. which takes me away from alot of the action here at home. But luckily my DH takes on the responsiblity and we couldn't have done it without the great patience of my MOM. Also I don't mind this job so much because it is only seasonal and will be over before I realize it. Now my other job won't start until the semester starts in September. Hopefully by then the 1st job will have laid me off. But the 2nd job is convenient because they allow me to go home before the kids get home and they work with my schedule at school. The only thing I don't like is getting paid once a month. I guess that can be good and bad thing at the same time. But since all the kids are in school I don't mind working and helping the family out. Plus it helps during Christmas time. But during the summer when the kids are out of school I don't work or go to school either. And last reason why I like working is because while the kids are in school it gives me something to do rather than have my head stuck in the fridge. LOL

Enough about that. I am happy to say that after I got home from work last night I hopped on my stepper. I didn't do as much as I ususally do but I got on it. Talk later
Corina

Last edited by Kina; 07-31-2002 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:34 PM   #4  

Thank you everyone for the welcome back! I can't believe you remembered! I think that maybe people just get so frustrated that they give up everything, including the very thing that will help them, a network. Maybe it's too much work to be involved.

If anyone goes the Low Carb way, please remember it is not a NO carb diet. You absolutely have to include 3 cups of vegetables, at least for Atkins. If I go below 15 grams of carbs, and I did by accident, thinking it wouldn't make a difference because I wasn't hungry, it can cause your blood sugar to be very low. I felt faint and had to eat SOMETHING even if I didn't want to at the time. Also, if Atkins is too restrictive, Protein Power is really good. It does allow more carbs and occasional oatmeal and complex grains, but I found that if I go too high, the cravings are not worth it right now. Atkins is pretty easy if you can get past the first week. I know you guys have the willpower of the saints, I've heard your refusal to eat food you wanted to avoid. If you can do it then, you can do it now. The only difference is if you last a week on Low Carb, there are no more cravings! Much easier to stick to a plan that you don't crave and starve on at the same time!

Anyway, tomorrow is weigh in time, if I can get to my mom's house. I've been really good about my carb level and I've gotten all of my weights in for the past week. I also went on a few bike rides. I'm so happy to have a new bike!!

I hope everyone's day is fantastic!

Amber
Old 08-01-2002, 12:22 PM   #5  
~~Senior Member~~Really

My day yesterday went pretty well. The main thing I done is stay out of SUGAR!!! I come in to post the following. It is so true, I see myself moving in this direction everyday. I believe when you do all these things, life becomes easier. I hope you will take time to read.
"The Awakening"

A time comes in your life when you finally get it...when, in the
midst of all your fears and insanity, you stop dead in your tracks
and somewhere the voice inside your head cries out -- ENOUGH!

Enough fighting and crying or struggling to hold on.

And, like a child quieting down after a blind tantrum, your sobs
begin to subside, you shudder once or twice, you blink back your
tears and begin to look at the world through new eyes.

This is your awakening.

You realize itīs time to stop hoping and waiting for some-thing to
change, or for happiness, safety and security to come galloping over
the next horizon.

You come to terms with the fact that neither of you is Prince
Charming or Cinderella and that in the real world there arenīt always
fairy tale endings (or beginnings for that matter) and that any
guarantee of "happily ever after" must begin with you, and in the
process a sense of serenity is born of acceptance.

You awaken to the fact that you are not perfect and that not everyone
will always love, appreciate or approve of who or what you are, and
thatīs okay. They are entitled to their own views and opinions.

And you learn the importance of loving and championing yourself and
in the process a sense of new found confidence is born of self-
approval.

You stop complaining and blaming other people for the things they did
to you (or didnīt do for you) and you learn that the only thing you
can really count on is the unexpected.

You learn that people donīt always say what they mean or mean what
they say and that not everyone will always be there for you and that
itīs not always about you.

So, you learn to stand on your own and to take care of yourself and
in the process a sense of safety and security is born of self-
reliance.

You stop judging and pointing fingers and you begin to accept people
as they are and to overlook their short-comings and human
frailties...and in the process a sense of peace and contentment is
born of forgiveness.

You realize that much of the way you view yourself, and the world
around you, is as a result of all the messages and opinions that have
been ingrained into your psyche.

And you begin to sift through all the junk youīve been fed about how
you should behave, how you should look, how much you should weigh,
what you should wear, what you should do for a living, how much money
you should make, what you should drive, how and where you should
live, who you should marry, the importance of having and raising
children, and what you owe your parents, family, and friends.

You learn to open up to new worlds and different points of view. And
you begin reassessing and redefining who you are and what you really
stand for. You learn the difference between wanting and needing and
you begin to discard the doctrines and values youīve outgrown, or
should never have bought into to begin with, and in the process you
learn to go with your instincts.

You learn that it is truly in giving that we receive. And that there
is power and glory in creating and contributing and you stop
maneuvering through life merely as a "consumer" looking for your next
fix.

You learn that principles such as honesty and integrity are not the
outdated ideals of a bygone era but the mortar that holds together
the foundation upon which you must build a life.

You learn that you donīt know everything, itīs not your job to save
the world and that you canīt teach a pig to sing.

You learn to distinguish between guilt and responsibility and the
importance of setting boundaries and learning to say NO.

You learn that the only cross to bear is the one you choose to carry
and that martyrs get burned at the stake.

Then you learn about love. How to love, how much to give in love,
when to stop giving and when to walk away. You learn to look at
relationships as they really are and not as you would have them be.

You stop trying to control people, situations and outcomes. And you
learn that alone does not mean lonely.

You also stop working so hard at putting your feelings aside,
smoothing things over and ignoring your needs. You learn that
feelings of entitlement are perfectly OK, and that it is your right
to want things and to ask for the things you want, and that sometimes
it is necessary to make demands.

You come to the realization that you deserve to be treated with love,
kindness, sensitivity and respect and you wonīt settle for less.

And you learn that your body really is your temple. And you begin to
care for it and treat it with respect. You begin to eat a balanced
diet, drink more water, and take more time to exercise. You learn
that being tired fuels doubt, fear, and uncertainty and so you take
more time to rest. And, just as food fuels the body, laughter fuels
our soul.

So you take more time to laugh and to play. You learn that, for the
most part, you get in life what you believe you deserve, and that
much of life truly is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You learn that anything worth achieving is worth working for and that
wishing for something to happen is different than working toward
making it happen. More importantly, you learn that in order to
achieve success you need direction, discipline and perseverance.

You also learn that no one can do it all alone, and that itīs okay to
risk asking for help. You learn the only thing you must truly fear is
the greatest robber baron of all: FEAR itself.

You learn to step right into and through your fears because you know
that whatever happens you can handle it and to give in to fear is to
giveaway the right to live life on your own terms.

And you learn to fight for your life and not to squander it living
under a cloud of impending doom. You learn that life isnīt always
fair, you donīt always get what you think you deserve and that
sometimes bad things happen to unsuspecting, good people.

On these occasions you learn not to personalize things. You learn
that God isnīt punishing you or failing to answer your prayers. Itīs
just life happening.

And you learn to deal with īcontrolī in its most primal state - the
ego.

You learn that negative feelings such as anger, envy, and resentment
must be understood and redirected or they will suffocate the life out
of you and poison the universe that surrounds you. You learn to admit
when you are wrong and to build bridges instead of walls.

You learn to be thankful and to take comfort in many of the simple
things we take for granted, things that millions of people upon the
earth can only dream about, a full refrigerator, clean running water,
a soft warm bed, a long hot shower.

Slowly, you begin to take responsibility for yourself by yourself and
you make yourself a promise to never betray yourself and to never,
ever settle for less than your heartīs desire.

And you hang a wind chime outside your window so you can listen to
the wind. And you make it a point to keep smiling, to keep trusting,
and to stay open to every wonderful possibility.

Finally, with courage in your heart and God empowering your life, you
take a stand, you take a deep breath, and you begin to design the
life you want to live as best you can.

~ Author Unknown ~
Old 08-01-2002, 07:40 PM   #6  

Hi everyone

I'm kinda down in the dumps tonight. One insurance co turned us down because they said our roof needs replaced. We knew it was getting there but didn't think it would need it right now. So I've got a call in to a couple others. Now I'm getting worried about it. I still refuse to get rid of my dog even if I have to hide her if I know an agent will be by. I think it is horrible for them to expect us to get rid of a dog we love so much just because she is a breed they think is vicious. My dog doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Grrrrr. Makes me so mad that they'd do that to us. Nationwide sucks. I just wanted to tell you new ones that if you have a dog such as a german shepard, rotweiller, dalmation, pit bull, chow, etc... don't tell your insurance co cause many of them are banning coverage if you have one. Nationwide will not even bend on the subject and said if I couldn't find a new home for our mixed breed chow that we could have her put down. That is so disgusting to me. My dog is so sweet.

Marlana, I read part of your post but I'm to depressed to read the rest of it. I'll try to finish it later but I like what I've read so far. I hope things are going well for you with your food plan. Do you still have the kiddies?

Amber, I hope your weigh in goes well and you have a loss. That is always encouraging.

Corina, thats good that your job works out well for you and your kids. I don't think I'd care much for getting paid once a month. Thats a long time between paychecks. Guess you really have to make it stretch to.

Skeeter, I think the tropical plants are so cool and I bet your yard is really pretty when everything is blooming. They are coming out with tropicals that can take cold winters but the most common one I see around here are, oh dang, the name is on the tip of my tongue. The ones with the big red blooms. Shoot. Oh, hibiscus. Love those.

Sally, I bet your glad to not hear anything from the ex. What do your kids think of him, by the way? Just curious if they are close to him or if they can see right thru him to.

Well, I'm going to get going so I can figure something out for supper and water some plants. Take care.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:54 PM   #7  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi everyone. Marlana it made sense. JoJo yes but I can only say it is possible by the help of my mom and my husband.

Well the beginning of the week my weight loss was looking really bleak. Only because I saw all the goodies these ladies bring into work and offer it to everyone. I would say no thank you every time. But I was worried that eventually I was going to cave. But nope the weekend is here and I am happy to say I said no each time. I didn't stop at the vending machine for fattening snacks nor did I stop at the soda machine for anything other than bottled water. I packed my slim fast or salad every day along with fruit or yogurt. I am happy to say that all my effort and will power paid off. I am sending you this message weighing in 1 lb less than last week. Thank goodness. I am only 1.5 lbs away from seeing 200. I can't wait. After that I will work to lose in increments of 10's.

Well I better get going this will be my last weekend off and I need to make it count with the family. Talk later.
Corina
Old 08-03-2002, 05:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone-
Hope you don't mind me jumping in....I just wanted to tell Marlana that "The Awakening" really touched my heart. WOW- think I should start my day by reading it....puts what's important in perspective.
I'm just beginning my weight loss journey, some days are definately better than others..... but I don't want to loss sight of the goal ( a healthy me )--I've done that too many times and I want this time to be different- I want to shed the weight, not just loss it so I can find it later.
Take care, N
Old 08-03-2002, 06:12 PM   #9  

Hi Everyone.

OMG!!! It is so hot today. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. Dh did some work on the house and had to change his shirt 3 times cause he was soaked from sweating. I was out at the mall and had to stop by the grocery store and decided that was it for the day. Its to dang hot. I doubt if I do much outdoors tomorrow either. I've got plenty to keep me busy indoors.

I was trying on some blouses today and I just can't believe how lumpy I've gotten. It was really depressing. Well, I've been lumpy for a long time but not this lumpy. I've got to do something about it starting Monday. I've got an indoor "2 mile walk" I'm going to start doing, that and taebo and light weights.

Kina, thats great you made it all week without caving into the treats at work. Work seems to be my biggest down fall. If I can do a day without them, I'm doing great. I've just got to start telling myself NO!!! cause I'm not doing myself any good and I'm just going to keep getting lumpier.

Noah, hi. We are happy for new people to join us. Especially if the new ones are working a program, it just seems to help inspire us ones that have fallen off the wagon. I fell off the wagon and havent been able to get back on, but reading about others success sure does help make it easier to start again. I hope you come back often.

Well, I'm going to get going now. Take care everyone.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:14 PM   #10  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Evening Ladies~~Found a few min here so decided to come in and write a few lines. I tell you right now it's hot hot hot here in Okla. We had a small storm yesterday afternoon and these pecan trees lost all their dead limbs. I picked up limbs for 3 hours today. Hubby got the grass mowed this afternoon. We only got 3/8 inch of rain though. Every little bit helps. Our yard is still green the 1st of Aug, that's darn good for here. My emotions has really been on a roller coaster the last few days. I guess I'm deep down inside I'm really upset about Kassie. Yesterday and today I was so depressed. After I got good and hot this morning I come in to get a cold drink and the phone rang. It was Kassie. I just busted out crying. You all would not believe where my daughter has been. She left Kassie for 2 months and went to R.I. to work. I know what she was doing, crossing the picket line. I know of someone else that does that full time and she makes 3000.00 a week. Good money, but to me it's a no no. I would have never of left my child for 2 months. Needless to say I started feeling much better now that I've heard from her. For those of you who doesn't know, Kassie is my grand child, and I haven't known where she was for a few months.

Jo Jo~~I just got through talking about being in the dumps and the first words on your post was "I'm in the dumps." Bless your heart, it just seems as if it's always something to keep us in the dumps. No No No! I don't have the kids and I don't want them either. I just got through spending some more money on them. Hubby gave all of them 10.00, and then the steps comes in with cloths that their folks bought for them. So I just brought it up equal. I don't care if they don't like it. I know what you mean about reading something when your in a bad state of mind. Read it later, it is good. Lumpy...God help us...ME TOO!

Corina~~No is the hardest word in English when it comes to turning down food. I bet most of it was sweets too. YOU DONE GOOD GIRL, I'M PROUD OF YOU. The more you say no, maybe the easier it will become. Congrats on the weight loss. I thank you have a wonderful plan on the weight loss. 10 pounds at a time. When you hit 199.99 we will have a party.

Noah~~Welcome to our group. Your just in time to have a party with us for Corina when she breaks 200. A way of life is a good plan. We have so much to gain by losing weight. A full happy life is what we will gain. Again Welcome!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:51 AM   #11  
Senior Chick

Talking

Hey Everyone

The kids went home last night and I feel as if I have been run over with a truck. I just don't seem to have any energy today at all. My legs are aching really bad and have been for some time now. I guess it is time to visit the doctor and see why.

The visit with my grandkids was wonderful but very tiring. We had the ending ceremonies of vacation bible school last night and the children put on a play for us. It was very good. My grandson also found the Lord and was saved the last day of bible school and baptized on Sunday. I was overjoyed with that.

I am not going to go crazy trying to get this house back in order but taking my time and working as I can. Today is bed and dog washing day. Tomorrow is grocery day and then I will tackle the rest of the house.

I guess the rest of y'all must be busy too. Welcome to you new girls. I will try to get on here later today or tomorrow and write to everyone. Y'all have a good evening.

Oh yeah, I promised to post a picture of another of my ginger plants, so here is the lavender one.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:18 AM   #12  
American Chick!

Morning Ladies,
How's it going? I'm doing okay; plugging along with the WW--I'm not going to weigh til Monday, so I'll see then; Hope I can jump off this plateau.
The girls start school a week today, so I'm taking Friday off to register them and I've also got a doctor's appt. Maybe I'll sneak a peak at the scale at the doctor's office Friday !
Mama, glad you heard from Kassie--I know that made you feel much better; I have to keep busy on the weekends I don't have the girls or I go nuts; Jeff and I don't make good empty nesters...at least not yet. Maybe by the time the girls go thru their teens, we'll be ready to help them pack!
Skeeter, glad you had such a great time with the grandbabies! That's wonderful about your grandson, too--my girls are going thru a phase where they want to go to church, but they aren't really listening; I just try to have them there every time the door opens--I'd rather they be at church than out getting into trouble.
JoJo, did you find an insurance company? I hope so! That's so aggravating...we've had the same company for the cars, house, life insurance and the whole bit for the last several years; I'm afraid to switch, even if we would get a better rate; I'm afraid they would find something wrong with the dogs, house, etc.---sort of don't want to rock the boat, you know?
I'd better run; I'm perpetually late these days, and I've also lost Jeff's checkbook (he doesn't know it yet) so I want to look in the garbage cans because today's trash day; at least if I know it's still in the house somewhere, I'll feel better!
Love you all, and talk to you later--I like these new smilie thingies, too!
Love,
Sally
Old 08-06-2002, 09:02 AM   #13  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Exclamation Get the party in motion

I did it! I did it! I did it! Marlana you said party...woohoo girlfriend! I am looking forward to the 100s now. You can't imagine my excitement when i jumped on that scale and saw 200 looking at ME. Did you know I have not seen 200 since late 1999. It just hasn't sunk yet. I mean I go around in my usual clothes and I feel like they are a bit bigger and roomier but it hadn't snapped. That I could possibly lost enough weight to get them baggy on me. It is so amazing now the work begins again to get to my next goal of 190.

I don't weigh myself as much as I used to but I know that I have a new goal. I know I will be jumping on it more often. I think that may have been why the scale never moved fast enough because I was weighing every day. LOL Now I weigh in every now and then. I haven't been getting much exercise in as I used to. But I have been trying to stick with my slimfast and healthy snacks. Trying really hard to stay away from the after work meals. I also wore this sweat belt to work under my plus size 18 jeans! Do you know how impossible that once was? To actually fit something else under my jeans and now I don't even feel like they are tight. Just to think I had put alot of clothes on layaway at Wal Mart. I think I may have to exchange them for a smaller size once I get them out.

Thanks for listening and allowing me to share the excitement. I know that it is possible. Me the one that was at 225 last September...it is possible and it feels GREAT! I can't wait to see 190.

Talk more later.
Kina

Last edited by Kina; 08-06-2002 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:10 PM   #14  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey Everyone

I feel a little better today but still not back to normal. Geesh, did I say normal........I meant that I didn't feel like myself. I had to go to town for groceries and that took care of the day. Tomorrow I will start cleaning one room at a time and getting my food back under control.

Sally~I was so glad that the grandkids enjoyed going to my church so much. We would have been in a real bind otherwise because I was committed to kitchen duty for the week. VBS was only for half a day and one of the ladies bought and prepared all the food. We had hot dogs with cheese curls and cupcakes one day, sloppy Joes and chips and cookies another. That's a meal as far as I'm concerned. Especially when some of the fathers came in and ate 4 hot dogs each. I helped prepare the drinks and serve. We had three shifts and it went really smoothly. How is it going with the ex? Does it take an armored truck for those child support payments? I'm guessing that you haven't seen the first check yet.

Kina~Congratulations!!!!! You are doing a great job. I need to get myself in gear and eat right. I have been so bad the whole time that my grandkids were here. I bought all the right foods at the store today though. Luckily, my husband eats whatever I fix and is happy with WW food and low fat/fat free everything. He quit keeping track of points but he eats the same thing that I do. He keeps candy hidden though and eats that for snacks. He works so hard outside that he losses weight while I am OP, even though he eats the candy.

Well, it is almost bedtime and I want to watch some TV. Y'all have a great evening.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:20 AM   #15  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Good Morning My Friends~~It's the wee hours of the day here. I hate these hours we have to keep, but what ya going to do. I do feel somewhat better this morning, I went to bed at 8 pm last night. Boy did we have a wonderful surprise
yesterday evening, IT RAINED AND COOLED OFF down into the 70's, wish it could stay that way. I also had bad news yesterday afternoon. The filter on my pool pooped out and spring a leak again. I tell you it's always something. I made it last a year longer than it wanted too. I'm going to see if I can do it again. My food is so so, sure could be better, and sure could be worse.

Skeeter~~I know how you feel about your grand children, you love them with all your heart and want everything to be perfect for them in their lives, but to have them with you for very long at a time just wears you out. I have the same problem, I try not to get down on myself for being that way, because it just wears me out and I can't help that. Girl you have the prettiest flowers, I would love to see your whole yard. Yesterday was your day for shopping and today is mine. I thank I'm going to go just as soon as I am through writing here, not many people in town that time of the morning.

Sally~~Back to school, it is so early for that. My grand kids start back on the 17th, and boy is it hot for that. I hope those scales starts dropping soon, mine too! I would use some of those new smilies but I've got to save all of them for Kina. Don't you worry about that empty next feeling, those teen years will make you look forward to a empty nest. Of course maybe your daughters will be better than mine was. She was really hard to deal with during her teens, still is in her 30's.

Kina~~ I really got myself in a fix, I've got to give a party on line, tuff, but girlfriend you deserve one. CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR FIRST GOAL. You go girl! Your on your way to doing what we all want to do in here. Who knows maybe you will help all of us to get on the right track. Keep up the good work, I'm very HAPPY FOR YOU!
That's as close as I can come to giving a party.

At this point girls, I'm wondering just what I wrote to Kina. Would you like to place a bet on me having to edit?????? Have a good one.
Closed Thread