General chatter - The Sad End of an Era - I Think I've Seen My Last Movie in a Theater

Glory87
11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Last night, Jason and I had a nice date night. We went to dinner at Olive Garden (that 500 calorie apricot chicken is GOOD) then we caught the 9:00 show of 2012.

We got their early to get good seats (I like to sit pretty much in the middle of the theater). Or course, right before the movie starts (theater around 2/3 full) a tall kid with a hoodie sits right in front of me.

Then, the talking. Three little clusters of talking people, to my left on the aisle, in front of me and beind me and to the right. Not whispering, just talking. Flat out talking. I shushed to no avail. Several people actually answered their cell phones in the movie and then had conversations as they walked up the aisle to talk outside of the theater (any credit they get for taking their call outside is negated by the fact they answered the phone in the first place!).

Then, a kid 3-4 rows ahead on the left pulls out a cell and starts texting. The bright cell phone screen was a very distracting light in the bottom half of my vision.

A little background: I adore movies and I love watching movies in a theater (big screen, awesome sound system, etc). I used to go to a movie every weekend. I love knowing what everyone is talking about and being able to participate in the conversation, I hate dodging spoilers (I think of all the movies I saw on opening weekend that might have been wrecked by waiting too long - like the Sixth Sense!) I especially love movie trailers and I'm always disappointed if I don't get at least 5! Planning what was coming out, getting excited about new movies, a very big part of my life for at least 15 years.

After last night's experience, I don't see why I should pay 20+ dollars to listen to other people yammer. I think VCRs and DVD players have destroyed people's ability to sit quietly through a movie. It's like they're on their couch, talking to their friends and family, offering commentary and feedback. And I've also noticed that a lot of people in theaters are just plain dumb, they keep asking their friends What happened? Who was that? If you can't follow a basic Hollywood movie plot, catch it on DVD so you can REWIND it as much as you need to (this is based on a horrendous experience at the movie Crash where an old couple behind us kept going What? Who? What? Who? for 2 hours).

If you are a movie talker - STOP. If you go to the movies with friends who talk, tell them to STOP. And everyone, turn off the damn cell phone. You seriously can't go 2.5 hours without calling/texting, really?? (mothers staying in contact with babysitters discreetly, excepted).

We have a pretty nice TV and after last night we talked about (sometime in the future) setting up a projector TV with a nice sound system and watching movies at home. I'll miss the darkened theater, the smell of popcorn, all the exciting trailers, and the thrill of watching a movie on opening weekend, but it will be so much better for my blood pressure.

cassieroll
11-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I haven't been to a movie in the theater for years. I refuse to pay that much money and have people talking through it, etc. I just wait for it to come to netflix.

JulieJ08
11-15-2009, 12:26 PM
You should send a pointed, descriptive complaint to the theater and say you won't be able to patronize their business, after a lifetime of doing so. Maybe eventually they'll ban cell phone in the theater and do something about the talking. :(

CLCSC145
11-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't go to the movies on weekends for that reason. During the week when the theater is almost empty is best. And I tend to see art flicks and those don't attract the jerky kids.

dragonwoman64
11-15-2009, 01:13 PM
oh, boy, I hear you! I miss going to the movies, but we have those exact same things happen to us. Considering it costs about $5 to rent a dvd, for two (or however many people) to watch at our own convenience, and our snack bar is much much cheaper and healthier, well, it takes a pretty spectacular movie to get me into the theater now.

ANOther
11-15-2009, 01:15 PM
The last time I went to a movie in a theater was about 10 years ago. Now most movies are in multiplexes with huge screens but only about 150 seats each, so the screen looms over you and if there's enough fast-moving action it can make some people a little nauseous. In old-fashioned theaters you can find a seat further back and you can take in the whole screen

nelie
11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
We maybe go to the movies once a year. I used to go quite a bit. You might want to see if they have any 'adult' theaters in the area (I'm not sure if SD does, I know I've been to one in the Chicago area). They serve alcohol and food so I don't think kids are allowed or at least I don't remember seeing kids.

We don't rent movies but we tend to buy movies we like or think we'll like (on sale, usually under $6) or for a while we were doing Netflix but stopped due to work schedules.

UrthWurm
11-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, what a horrid experience! I haven't gone to a movie in months because of a lack of cash. However, the most we've gotten is a quiet murmur of one person commenting to another. Nothing as bad as all that. But I suppose what our theaters lack in noise, they make up for in garbage. Gum under chairs, sticky soda all over the floors. Ick, ick, ick. I opt for movies at home now, more oft than not. Good choice. ;)

UrthWurm
11-15-2009, 01:43 PM
You might want to see if they have any 'adult' theaters in the area (I'm not sure if SD does, I know I've been to one in the Chicago area). They serve alcohol and food so I don't think kids are allowed or at least I don't remember seeing kids.

Oh, those places are fantastic! I got to peek inside one once, as I'm not old enough to go in. ;) My grandma wanted to take me to a movie there, as they have nice recliner chairs and food served right to you. However, the alcohol portion made it impossible for me to come. When I'm 21, instead of going out getting "smashed", I'm definitely going to one of those adult theaters. They sound excellent! :D

Aclai4067
11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
We have a theater that serves alcohol and food but it's all ages, they have a kids menu too. I haven't been to it, the regular theaters are expensive enough.

EZMONEY
11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I haven't been to a movie in years but this not surprise me at all...

Of course "those people" are going to ruin your evening...

they turn right in front of you in traffic....run you off the road....answer their phone in airports (where there is no where to go and if you do you will lose a seat FOREVER!) and yap-yap-yap....

you can't get away from it and I am afraid for today's youth it is quite normal...

I do know that if you are sitting next to someone at the airport and they yap-yap on their phone, you can actually answer the questions and/or make comments to their comments to the person on other end, that it annoys them enough sometimes they just hang up....or move ;)

CountingDown
11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
We have a projector and surround sound system in our living room. I pull the shades, make my own popcorn, and have movie night at home. We much prefer this to going out.

An added bonus - I'm hearing impaired and LOVE that I can turn on the closed-captioning :D

untamed
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Agreed w/ others on the theaters w/ the bars...I believe the one near me is all ages, but seems to attract a more adult (read: knows how to act in a theater) crowd.

I've always thought they should stop letting people in right before the trailers start...I hate having people walking in front of me while I'm trying to watch the trailers...and if nothing else, at least before the actual movie starts.

EZMONEY
11-15-2009, 02:07 PM
We went to see Lion King at the Civic a few weeks ago....I had never seen the movie...anyway we purchased it over Amazon and were going to use it for one of our Friday night date nights...order take-out and stay home..well it came yesterday so Angie wanted to have date night last night...

we put it in...had to move to the older TV and dvd player...for some reason the movie just kept doing that digital scrambling thing on the newer dvd player and Hi-def tv...

way fun...even in hernia surgery pain...

meandmyself
11-15-2009, 02:21 PM
What is wrong with people these days? The ME-ME attitude is getting out of hand. So many people are all about their experience..their thrill...their happiness, all at the expense of the people around them.

I recently saw an advanced screening of a movie that I really wanted to see. There was a young woman, 20ish??, sitting in the row in front of me about 6 seats to my right. She continually leaned forward and yelled over to her "friend" who was sitting directly in front of me....six seats away from her! As if talking to the person next to you isnt distracting and rude enough...you have to holler down the row! The friend sitting in front of me was mortified and continually shushed her to no avail. We shushed her...to no avail. She all but ruined the movie for my group of 7-8 people and wasted our $10 a piece tickets.

I agree with what another poster said...contact the movie theatre and tell them you are going to have to discontinue using their theatre because of their lack of ushering. Remember when movie theatres had ushers?! Remember when nonsense got you tossed out of a movie?! I long for those days again! And yes...cell phones should be banned inside the theatre...period.

Even mothers with babysitters at home can get up and leave the theatre to check texts....what did they do before this technology was available...that's right...they left the theatre and called home.

I love going to the movies but between the cost and the rude behaviorof so many people, I rent most times or wait for it to come to our cheap theatre where I can pay 0.50 to see it on the big screen. Rude behavior doesnt seem to bother me at this cost...

MoveMoveMove
11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I haven't had any problems recently. I try to go to the movies every Friday for the first showing of the movie (I'm off on Fridays). Going to the early show may cut down on some of the interruptions.

However, I remember when I went to see Chicago, there were these two women who SANG EVERY SONG in the freaking movie. Now THAT was irritating.

My next two movies to see in theatre are Precious and 2012. For watching at home, Night at the Museum 2 is supposed to come out at Hollywood Video on December 1st. I don't know who will be happier, me or the clerks I've been bugging about it for months.

Mickeypnd
11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Me and my bf tok his two younger cousins and brother to see that movie Inglorious *******s, and his cousins and them were talking through the whole thing, and then his one girl cousin, pulled out here phone and started texting right next to me!

I told him we're never taking them to another movie again. lol.

lizziep
11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I almost never go to the movies anymore, for the exact same reason. Small children in rated R movies, teenagers texting, talking, taking calls. ADULTS texting, talking, taking calls.

A few of my movie going rules:

1. if I'm not dying to see it, I can wait.
2. never ever EVER go to the dollar theater.
3. always go late at night, last showing if possible.
4. never ever go on opening night.

i have had several movies ruined by other people. Once we actually went and complained to someone that worked there, who talked to the culprit, who then continued doing it anyway. We walked out, I wrote an email and got free tickets to another movie. Like I want to go back! pfft.

I'd say we see one or two movies a year in the theater, and they'd better be big exciting movies - Harry Potter, Wolverine, Batman... something that we both are dying to see immediately. Otherwise- I can wait.

Windchime
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I haven't been to a movie in years, either. I think it was the last X-Files movie and the theater was nearly empty. But I just can't put up with little kids whining and kicking my seats, teenagers talking and giggling and texting, and adults chatting throughout the movie as loudly as if they were sitting at the kitchen table.

As much as I like the whole big-screen, big-sound experience, I don't really want to pay $9 (plus snacks!) to sit and be annoyed by a bunch of rude people. I'll wait for the video. All it would take is for theaters to start employing a couple of ushers; once these people started getting booted out 10 minutes into the movie, I think that people would straighten up. And the cell phone thing--I have a cell phone. I like my cell phone. I like to text on it. But I'm not a doctor who is on-call, so therefore I shut the stupid thing off for 2 hours when I go in a theater. I fear we are creating a whole generation of stupid people with extremely short attention spans who cannot bear to communicate face to face, so they have to constantly be typing (in poor grammar) to each other.

Grrrrrr. You kids get offa my lawn! :::::shaking fist::::::

happy2bme
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I used to like people. I really did. Now I long to be Grizzly Adams or Laura Ingalls Wilder living the rest of my days in the wilderness. The sooner, the better.

As a society people have a complete disregard for anyone outside of themselves. I have nicknamed this decade "The Because I CAN" decade. People do the most ridiculous things because I CAN and don't you dare say anything to me about it. I knew we were in trouble after the Me decade.

The sad thing is that the movie business will suffer the most and probably not even know why attendance is down.

Windchime
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
The sad thing is that the movie business will suffer the most and probably not even know why attendance is down.

They'd have to be idiots not to know that $9 + yakking teenagers = reduced attendance. Of course, maybe the fact that the teenager attendance is UP means that whether or not I go to the movies is irrelevant. I'm probably not the target demographic anyway, since I am usually happy to wait till it comes to video.

raebeaR
11-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Grrrrrr. You kids get offa my lawn! :::::shaking fist::::::

ROFL, Windchime, I'm right there with yas, shaking my fist, too!!!

I despise how widespread rudeness has become, and how ACCEPTED. It's a little better here in a rural setting, but overall, common courtesy has slid right off a cliff. Very sad.

About once every couple of months, a friend of mine and I go to a matinee showing of something we want to see in the middle of the week... that's a good time to catch films. We're often the only ones in the theatre. Yeeaaahh!!!

sprklemajik
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I can usually stand the sunday matinee-- like while everyone is still at lunch. Otherwise I just can't handle the rudeness.

My horror story: I went on a date to see the Chronicles of Narnia when I was in college. The theater was packed and my date and I ended up sitting in front of a Mom with like 4 kids. They kicked our chairs, hit us in the head with jackets and scarves, and talked through the entire movie. The kids were almost forgivable b/c they're kids... but halfway through the movie the mom answered her cell and held a conversation (didn't even say "hey I'm in a movie call you back later) for like 3 minutes. The nerve of some people.

EZMONEY
11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
It was a lot better when the only thing you had to worry about was getting caught sneaking in by way of the maintenance door or making out in the back...I hated those little ushers with their flashlights...quick and sneaky...

Shannon in ATL
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm with you on the annoyance of the movies. DH & I typically go to the ones that start at 10:00 am or earlier these days and are often the only people at the theater. The talking, the kicking, the texting... all make me crazy.

We love seeing movies on IMAX - as we have a 62" HD tv with surround sound and blu-ray most other movies can be viewed satisfactorily at home. The 'real' IMAX theater near us is almost an hour away at $15 per ticket. The last time we went (Transformers) we found out that for the price of a large popcorn they now give you the small paper bag and say "you get free refills". So you charge me $30 for two tickets to a movie and then tell me I have to get up and leave that movie to come out and get refills on my small bag of popcorn that you charged me $6 for? Heck with that. Haven't been back to that Regal Cinema and likely won't go to another one. The 10am movie at the smaller theater closer to our house is so much better, and they sell tickets before noon for $6 and give you free ones after several purchases with their frequent visitor club.

And the 500 calorie apricot chicken is fantastic at OG - had it just a few weeks ago myself.

Skyra
11-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, movies can be insufferable. I saw Paranormal Activity and looking forward to the scariness, but all through the movie there was a girl giggling in back (and her friends chorusing "SHUT UP!" every two minutes -- hard to tell which was worse), so it wasn't a scary experience at all.

For the record, I'm 22 and I'm frankly pretty ashamed of a lot of my generation. There's no excuse to be that rude, and I wish texting had never been invented. Ugh.

willow650
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=raebeaR;3014573

I despise how widespread rudeness has become, and how ACCEPTED. It's a little better here in a rural setting, but overall, common courtesy has slid right off a cliff. Very sad.

![/QUOTE]
When parents started trying to make sure their little angels had high self esteem they didn't teach how to esteem others above themselves, therefor created self centered, self serving brats. Parents started focusing 100% of their attention on their kids and didn't teach the kids to pay attention to others. I believe most ADHD cases stem from kids not being told to sit down and be quite nearly enough.

alinnell
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I think this is why we started going to matinees. A nice lunch out and then a movie in the early afternoon. We get the matinee rates (so much less $$) and the crowds? Practically non-existent. Most people who go to matinees are older and are much more apt to follow the "turn your cell phone off" and "no texting" messages that the theaters put out these days. We even have a theater that sends in a REAL PERSON to ask people to kindly turn off cells, do not text and no talking! Talk about service!

sunflowergirl68
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats when you say "SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!"

sunflowergirl68
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I almost never go to the movies anymore, for the exact same reason. Small children in rated R movies, teenagers texting, talking, taking calls. ADULTS texting, talking, taking calls.

Gah, I remember I went to a 10pm showing of some rated R movie (I can't remember the name, but it was fairly violent) and some idiot parents took their 3 or 4 year old! At TEN O'CLOCK AT NIGHT! To a RATED R movie! That, to me, is child abuse. And the kid cried throughout the whole movie. Keeping your kid up until midnight so you can see a freaking movie is selfish and irresponsible and abusive.

sunflowergirl68
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
When parents started trying to make sure their little angels had high self esteem they didn't teach how to esteem others above themselves, therefor created self centered, self serving brats. Parents started focusing 100% of their attention on their kids and didn't teach the kids to pay attention to others. I believe most ADHD cases stem from kids not being told to sit down and be quite nearly enough.

Yeah, I wasn't raised like that, and to be honest, when I'm a parent, I won't be raising them like that too. Self esteem is important, but you earn it by being a good person, you don't give it, which is what parents do.

My sister was sent to a school in Mexico for troubled youth. She was very troubled, and was getting into a lot of trouble and my parents couldn't help her anymore, and when she came back, she was better.

Basically put, kids and teenagers aren't put in their place. Sometimes, they do need to be smacked and have everything taken away from them. Parents worry too much about their kids liking them, when really, if your kid says that they hate you, you're doing something right. Parents should be feared and respected, and trust should be earned. You should be afraid of what your parents will do when you screw up. That means you're being disciplined. I was terrified of what my parents would do to me when i was in high school. I'm 24, and I have a small tattoo on my wrist (tattoos were strictly forbidden), and I STILL hide it from them even though I'm 90% on my own now. That is a sign of good parenting.

Ugh, I'm sorry, I just really, really hate teenagers today. i call them the "Me generation." They just honesty don't care about other people besides themselves, because their parents taught them that. Parents just give, give, give, give, and there is no such thing as earning.

When I have kids, they will not have computers, cell phones, or a car, and when they do start driving, their cell phones will have two functions: dialing home, and dialing 911. Internet access will be severely limited and there will be one family computer, like there was at my home.

Parents just don't want to parent, and they don't want to upset or anger their kids. It should be the opposite. You break them down, and then build them up.

Wannabeskinny
11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I only go to the movies on weekdays during the day when I'm not working, and only after a movie has been out for at least a week if not more. It's a matinee price and the theaters are nearly empty

Sonata
11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow, I feel you!

The thing that aggravates me the most is people bringing their tiny children to the movies. Now, I LOVE babies and toddlers. I have a 1 year old and 3 year old myself, and I would NEVER impose their racket and whining on people who are paying $10 a pop to enjoy their movie. If it's a G-rated kids' movie, that is to be expected, but I sat behind a family with two toddlers and a newborn at the last Star Wars movie some years ago, and all three of those kids cried throughout the film.

People are so inconsiderate and self-involved!

CanadianCutie
11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
My worst theatre experience was seeing Paycheck, years ago with my ex. We were sitting in a half full theatre, a group of 13 to 18 year old boys comes in,and sits behind us. Repeated I got knocked in the head with a boot (it was stadium style seating). I told them repeatedly to stop it. Eventually I got up and went to get the manager (missing an important part of the movie). I came back with him, and of course they'd moved. My ex did watch where they moved to, and the manager talked to them. Didn't kick them out of course, but did give us free passes for another movie. All in all, not a fun day.

Shopaholic1204
11-19-2009, 08:45 AM
See..that is why I move. When we went to see Zombieland the first time, these stupid, annoying guy with crusty feet, put his sandle on the seat next to mine. Which is how I knew his feet were crusty. Then him and all his annoying friends were talking during the previews. I LOVE the previews, and hate it when anyone talks during them. So we moved to someplace else. I refuse to let other people ruin my movie experience.

I'm going to see New Moon tonight..and if it was anything like Twilight..girls are going to be screaming, and talking loudly during the movie. But whatever. I refuse to let them bother me. I'm planning on getting there early..sitting either in a space just for 2 people..or sitting on the bottom level, near a speaker!!!

Not to be mean or anything..but I really hate it when I see little kids at rated R movies. A lot of people actually brough their kids to see Paranormal Activity. This one woman actually YELLED at her child for crying during it. Well ya lady..the movie was probably scaring them!!! They have a really nice play area where you can sign in your children, so you can watch the movie.

I swear, when I was a teenager (which was like 5 years ago, lol)..I NEVER talked during a movie. So I dunno what is wrong with teens today. Some of them are just so rude and annoying.

ANOther
11-19-2009, 10:54 AM
You might want to see if they have any 'adult' theaters in the area (I'm not sure if SD does, I know I've been to one in the Chicago area). They serve alcohol and food so I don't think kids are allowed or at least I don't remember seeing kids.

Hmmm, interesting. We'd had some "cinema cafes" in the Twin Cities area a few years ago that sold beer, pizza, hamburgers, that sort of fare, but they were way out almost into the boonies and the movies they showed were near the end of their theatrical run. But just today I see in the Star Tribune that one of these new "adult" theaters is opening in one of the western suburbs (too far from where I live alas): kids under 17 are not admitted to the evening shows unless they're with an adult. Here's the article:
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/70384847.html?elr=KArksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUnc5PDiUiD3aPc :_Yyc:aUU
Of course the whole point of this thread is people yacking on their cellphones (why oh why? Don't people want to be off the grid for a couple of hours anymore?) and if theaters like this police the yackers, hallelujah, but the article doesn't say that they do crack down on gabbing (I assume the reference to "no video games" means there are no games in the lobby: it's been so long since I saw a movie in a theater I couldn't say whether theaters today DO have video games, but I wouldn't put it past them). Many years ago some fancy theaters used to have a soundproofed "crying room" in the balcony where moms could take their fussy babies: maybe theaters could revive that concept for people who feel their lives just aren't complete if they can't yack?

Thighs Be Gone
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
I am so sorry. I went to see Precious yesterday. I loved it. I saw the 11:45 showing and there was almost no one there. I got my favorite seat (4/5 of the way up, dead center) and enjoyed myself in the dark quiet. I even went alone--it doesn't get better than that IMO.

For the record, I got to the concession stand and started looking around--said, "I will come later" and never went back. LOL! GO ME!

sunflowergirl68
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Thighs, did you like Precious?

Shopaholic, I totally feel you.

However..... I have to admit, I acted pretty rude when I saw Twilight with my fiance. I read the books, and I was kind of excited to see it, until my friend who was also a fan of the books saw it first and told me how awful it was, and to expect to actually laugh some parts were so ridiculous. So I went, sat near the front, (the whole theater were tweens and their parents) and I just laughed my butt off during those parts, I just couldn't help myself and ended up pissing off a whole lotta tweens. Oh well. Laughing during funny movies is acceptable, isn't it?

Shopaholic1204
11-20-2009, 03:23 AM
However..... I have to admit, I acted pretty rude when I saw Twilight with my fiance. I read the books, and I was kind of excited to see it, until my friend who was also a fan of the books saw it first and told me how awful it was, and to expect to actually laugh some parts were so ridiculous. So I went, sat near the front, (the whole theater were tweens and their parents) and I just laughed my butt off during those parts, I just couldn't help myself and ended up pissing off a whole lotta tweens. Oh well. Laughing during funny movies is acceptable, isn't it?

OKay..I will admit, I did laugh at the really lame corny parts in Twilight. But there were just some people talking during the whole movie. It was annoying. I just got back from seeing New Moon..and I dunno if it was because everyone was excited or what. But nobody talked!! LOL!! We laughed at the funny parts..but for the most part..everyone was quiet!! It was like 10000000000000x better than Twilight thats for sure!!! Twilight does seem very laughable now.

Thighs Be Gone
11-20-2009, 10:13 PM

double

Thighs Be Gone
11-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Yes, I did. I thought the actresses all did a fine job in the roles. Monique--oh, just WOW! The story line was difficult to watch but quite believable. It is riveting. I wanted to jump into that screen and run like **** with Precious!!! The main character--Precious (is her real name Gabourey?) is absolutely fantastic. I read today she is already positioned for the lead in another movie this next year.

sunflowergirl68
11-24-2009, 04:29 AM
I'm glad because I've just heard so many good things about it, but I've also heard it's over-hyped.

Sunnigummi
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
I had to chime in on Precious. I saw it against my will (I get queasy seeing abuse on the big screen, tv, hearing about it etc) but I thought it was well-made. Really well made. Apparently the book goes into detail about the horrendous experiences of this young woman and the movie hints at it but doesn't go into detail, which I really appreciated. I thought the way they interjected humor into the movie was also well done.

Lovely story line.

OT: I watched it just last weekend and I was amazed when I got up to leave that there were 6 year olds a couple rows down from us. Holy moley!! The first (?) scene is such a powerful GRAPHIC scene that is not meant for anybody under the age of 16 (IMO). What the heck are these parents thinking? If hiring a babysitter is too expensive, rent a G movie and watch it at home. Sacrifice your movie going experience to save your child's innocence, geez.

Wannabeskinny
11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Lovely story line.

OT: I watched it just last weekend and I was amazed when I got up to leave that there were 6 year olds a couple rows down from us. Holy moley!! The first (?) scene is such a powerful GRAPHIC scene that is not meant for anybody under the age of 16 (IMO). What the heck are these parents thinking? If hiring a babysitter is too expensive, rent a G movie and watch it at home. Sacrifice your movie going experience to save your child's innocence, geez.

I would think that considering it's a true story that it would be appropriate for kids to watch and become sensitive to the nature of this subject. I didn't see it yet but I assumed there would be educational value to it - as opposed to seeing Transformers for example. I think the parents were probably taking their kids there for that reason, not to be bad parents and weren't aware of the graphic nature of the movie.

nelie
11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I would think that considering it's a true story that it would be appropriate for kids to watch and become sensitive to the nature of this subject. I didn't see it yet but I assumed there would be educational value to it - as opposed to seeing Transformers for example. I think the parents were probably taking their kids there for that reason, not to be bad parents and weren't aware of the graphic nature of the movie.

I don't have kids but it is an R rated movie. I don't want to spoil anything as I haven't seen the movie myself but imdb has a parental guide that and just an overview says this:
"The entire movie is disturbing and quite intense."

EZMONEY
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't have kids but it is an R rated movie. I don't want to spoil anything as I haven't seen the movie myself but imdb has a parental guide that and just an overview says this:
"The entire movie is disturbing and quite intense."

Maybe the TV version will be suitable for children.

The edited version of Adam Lamberts show wasn't too bad either.

ANOther
11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
You are kidding EZMONEY, I hope? For cryin'out loud, PRECIOUS CLEARLY AIN'T FOR KIDS!!! You got kids, you wanna see a movie about a black youth looking for a way out of the dead end life, take them to see The Blind Side instead!

EZMONEY
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I was just being a wise guy...enough of that...

I really want to see the Blind Side...trailers look good...I am a football fan and I love Sandra Bullock...in Angie and my top 5 for chick-flick actresses...

ANOther
11-25-2009, 04:09 PM
OK, gotcha. Just so you know, when I said "you got kids", I meant "you" in the sense of "anybody who's", not "you" = EZMONEY in particular.

branflake
11-26-2009, 12:36 AM
*ggrr* What is up with the constant "the server is busy, try again" on the forums tonight? I had a long type posted, pressed post and..."server was busy" so it was lost.

In a nutshell, these are the reasons I refuse to go to a movie that is still popular. People and their ignorance and rudeness really infuriate me and I'm famous for jerky comments if someone is being obnoxious. Instead, we go at least a few weeks after release. Even then, we generally see a matinee. If waiting a little longer means a more pleasant experience then I can certainly wait it out. lol The best is when you find that you are the only people in the theatre. :)

nelie
11-26-2009, 09:08 AM
When we do go, we never go when a movie has just come out and we always go to matinees. It really depends on the movie on how crowded it is. There was a movie I wanted to see that came last year and we were busy and we waited it out and 6 months later, I guess the movie was gone from the theater :)

sunflowergirl68
11-28-2009, 12:18 AM

There are some things you don't need to expose your kids to until they are teenagers. That young, they aren't able to emotionally and mentally comprehend it. That's still bad parenting. As a parent, it's your duty to protect them and shelter them and actually care about what you show them, and do research. For example, some rated R movies are OK for high schoolers, like if I had teenagers, and they were interested in literature, I would have let them see The Reader (with me, of course) or The Hours, or any other movie centered around literature that happens to be rated R. But other movies, with say, graphic sex or violent scenes, are just unnecessary to show to them until they're in high school. You can teach your kids about domestic abuse and childhood abuse without taking them to a movie about it.

My dad took my brother to see Terminator 2 when he was like 10 and he had nightmares about it for weeks.

I never really knew about how severe abuse could be until I was in high school and read Beloved by Toni Morrison. My parents always did make an effort to tell me that I have it really good and that others have it worse, and I volunteered. SO that was their way of exposing me to the darker side of life.

sunflowergirl68
11-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Maybe the TV version will be suitable for children.

I haven't seen Precious, but I sincerely doubt it'll ever be shown on TV, due to the subject matter (abuse and rape and incest).

sunflowergirl68
11-28-2009, 12:21 AM
You are kidding EZMONEY, I hope? For cryin'out loud, PRECIOUS CLEARLY AIN'T FOR KIDS!!! You got kids, you wanna see a movie about a black youth looking for a way out of the dead end life, take them to see The Blind Side instead!

The Blind Side was a really good movie, despite it being sappy.... I really liked it, partly because I love football so much, and it's based on a true story, and the guy is a really successful and talented football player. I totally agree, that's a much better movie for kids.