Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Taking A Break

My program for the second time is up the 18th and I had planned on going straight to stabilization even though I would like to lose another 16 pounds...but I am just so tired of dieting and I am thinking about taking a break over the next six weeks to get over the holidays and to get out of the dump...I know I can maintain my current weight with eating sensibly and running....I just do not want to continue with all the stresses of the holidays, travel, eating out etc...I will just be wasting money because i will not be on plan the whole time and will just lose the money...I rather start new on Jan 1 and lose the last 15 pounds...fresh and ready to go! Am I crazy? I started last Feb. and have lost 60lbs...so I am almost there but not quite yet...just completely burnt out
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2  

Default I think it's a good idea

I think it's a good idea-- I lost 40 pounds and took a year off! Yikes-- but i maintained my weight except for about 3 pounds. I am starting again and dieting until the end of February then I'm taking another break.

So I'm a believer in some breaks- your body gets used to the weight loss and so do you.

I vote yes. Trust yourself.

Sadie
sadie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #3  
magnolia girl

S/C/G: 170/150/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie11 View Post
I think it's a good idea-- I lost 40 pounds and took a year off! Yikes-- but i maintained my weight except for about 3 pounds. I am starting again and dieting until the end of February then I'm taking another break.

So I'm a believer in some breaks- your body gets used to the weight loss and so do you.

I vote yes. Trust yourself.

Sadie
Sadie,
When you took your break, how did you maintain? Did you continue eating breakfast protein and starch, lunch protein, veggie and fruit, dinner protein, veggie and starch? Or did you count calories? Just curious since you were able to maintain within 3#'s that is great! Let me know, thanks magnoliagirl
magnoliagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #4  
Lynn

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

GWE, I can totally relate. I was looking at less than 10 pounds to go and then my b-day hit and I've been eating this/that and am now up 7 lbs. I've been up/down for the last month purely by my choices alone and am just wondering what I should do myself. I'll be curious to see what youdecide to do. Either way, good luck to you and keep us posted!!
noahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #5  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I believe that with your totally committed exercise program, you can renew your resolve by taking this break. I guess, in the event you see yourself gaining, then, YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. I wish you great success. I am one that believes in my heart that changing things up sometimes is the best way to go. Here's a thought -- purchase a big supply of HNS before you stop, so you have an alternative without rushing right back to your center should it not go so well! But I believe you will do GREAT. Please let us know what you decide and how it goes. You have done MAGNIFICENTLY!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #6  

Thank you all for your comments...I am still thinking about it...will go to my center tomorrow to talk this through with my counselor...I know they will want me to hang in there, but I need a break!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I can relate! This is supposed to be near the end of my 3rd week on stabilizaton, and I've really lost focus. I feel truly ADD with this now! Part of it is stuff going on in my life...very busy, stressful (pray for my teenager that I don't strangle her soon!!), no time to cook or plan meals (and Halloween chocolate around the house hasn't helped!). I've only gained a pound or so and understand what you mean about being able to maintain. I guess a question would be the cost difference if you renew now (would they let you put your plan on 'hold' for a while?) or if you wait until after the first of the year. I was so focused for so long, and now I'm so 'unfocused'...it's a bit strange actually.
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

GWE, I can't blame you for wanting a break. You have done so good. Holidays are so stressful and I can't imagine trying to stay on plan. I think we can all cheat a little and maintain our sanity too! We should not deprive ourselves because it will be hard with family all around and trying to be happy while you watch everyone eat with such delight. I think small bites and quantities will help me enjoy all the great food.

I did talk to my counselor this week about not reaching "their goal" by Dec. 12th, and she said not to worry, if I am close, they will work with me and let me continue. If I want to join, it will be around $100 for 17 weeks and $129 for 24 weeks. So I will see when the time comes. I have such a long way to reach my own goal, so I will probably bite the dust and add another 17 weeks.

Let us know what you decide, and don't be a stranger here....we need to hear from you and know how you are doing on your own.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #9  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

i think i, too, will re-sign when my contract is up. but i'm not gonna bring it up until they do

i feel like we all need a break of some sort sometimes, though! this is such an intense program.
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/150/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWE140 View Post
My program for the second time is up the 18th and I had planned on going straight to stabilization even though I would like to lose another 16 pounds...but I am just so tired of dieting and I am thinking about taking a break over the next six weeks to get over the holidays and to get out of the dump...I know I can maintain my current weight with eating sensibly and running....I just do not want to continue with all the stresses of the holidays, travel, eating out etc...I will just be wasting money because i will not be on plan the whole time and will just lose the money...I rather start new on Jan 1 and lose the last 15 pounds...fresh and ready to go! Am I crazy? I started last Feb. and have lost 60lbs...so I am almost there but not quite yet...just completely burnt out
I think taking a break can sometimes make us stronger in our resolve to get to the goal....plus it will give you a chance to see how you can maintain what you've already lost. Good luck.
Roadqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330.5/see ticker/258.5

Height: 5'9.5

You have achieved something which is awesome. 60 pounds! S I X T Y pounds! and you've learned so much in the progress about yourself. You've every right for a break! Just a friendly advice, dont see this break as something that means you can go back to your old habbits. I am sure you wont, because losing all that weight means you have learned new habbits, which will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Goodluck! and come back when you feel like it
nabeelmalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/174/125

Height: 5'1"

I think taking a break is a great idea. I just took a mini break and am ready to go 100% tomorrow. I will do the same for Thanksgiving and Christmas. One good point is, is that I did maintain on my break.
JERZGERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #13  

Default Break Update

Oaky...Okay...Okay ! I DID resign for another 10 weeks at a reduced rate of $79.00. After spending a long time discussing all that I have shared here about being burnt out etc...and always having great food sheets ...my counselor told me I should just go into stabilization over the holidays and not quit...but I explained that I wanted to get to 150 before I go to stabilization and I am 15 pounds away so we discussed ways to make it work for me by "allowing" myself the occasional meal off plan by PLANNING it and taking the fat/carb blockers, knowing that I will lose slower but will keep my motivation up and continue on program until i get to 150. This seems very doable, 10 weeks and 15 pounds should not be an issue since I normally take off 10-12 pounds a month 100% on plan so at 95% on Plan I should lose 6-7...so I am signed on until Jan and WILL get to stabilization in Jan...My counselor told me she did not want to encourage me to eat off plan but if I planned it and kept with my running in the long run I will be living with the program and be successful in the end...I know it is true, and today I went out to have Mexican food with my family and enjoyed a grilled beef salad with salsa as the dressing, a few tortilla chips, water and fat/carb blocker and did not feel guilty, which has been my problem...tomorrow I am running 5 miles and will eat all week on plan and run another 8 more during the week...and then next week is Thanksgiving and I plan to eat it with my family as before...I rather refer to these choices as near plan meals rather than off plan Thank you all for your wisdom and I agreed with each and everyone of you...but I just decided that in Feb. I do not want to be in the weight loss phase, I want to be at my goal for my 46th birthday!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #14  

Thanks everyone for posting this thread, I am about in my fourth week of stabilization and I have to be honest, I really haven't followed plan. I am trying to eat reasonably and am exercising faithfully. I too needed a break. I just couldn't take another meal with limitations while everyone else enjoyed themselves. However, today I have decided enough with celebrating and I am back on plan. I am writing my meals down and drinking my water. I have pretty much finished with the MRC drinks, I do still use the double chocolate pudding at night to get my sweet fix. It did feel good to enjoy myself and I did not abuse it, I tried to eat the best that I could. I do know that to get through the holidays I am going to have to be accountable so that is the reason for getting back on program. I am just glad to hear that I am not the only one that struggled with this. Have a great week everyone!
Bobsey is offline   Reply With Quote