Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thumbs down disappointing Dr. visit

This morning I saw my family practice dr. for the first time since losing weight. It was a very disappointing experience. He always encouraged me to lose weight so I guess I expected too much of a reaction. He had plenty to say back then. Now, he was, "You've lost weight, that's nice. Are you doing the South Beach Diet?" He seemed disappointed that I am not doing the SB diet. When I asked him about my weight loss slow down, he said switch to the SB diet and he gave me a prescription for diet pills, which I won't use.

My TSH was too high so he increased my thyroid medication. Hopefully that will help with the slow loss.

I had his nurse look up my highest weight because I could not remember it. It was higher than I thought so I adjusted my weight here. I guess I expected too much from my GP. I looked forward to his reaction to my weight loss and it just wasn't there. That is OK. I cheer myself on and I have all of you here!

Last edited by time2lose; 11-09-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: forgot about the diet pills
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Cheryl,

82 pounds is awesome! Remember, your GP (you referred to as he) is a man..... you know some of them don't hand out compliments as well as others.... he maybe one of them. But, like you said he was quick to tell you when you needed to lose. I think he is a moron in the sensitivity arena.

You are doing a great job! Just keep doing what works for you. Just think..... it is possible for you to be in Onderland by 2010! That is awesome!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Cheryl, you are doing great ! Don't fret over your doctor's lack of encouragement ,just remember he is a busy man with a lot on his mind. We and you know you are doing an awesome job ! Keep up the good work.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #4  
Workin' It

Don't let your doctor get you down! You are doing great!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Don't let your doctor get you down! You are doing great!

She took the words right out of my mouth!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You are doing amazing! Keep doing what you are doing and I agree to toss that prescription!

My doctor harps on me to lose faster and I'm like dude I am doing my best! I'm not exactly living a stress free life with copious amounts of time to exercise! The fact I haven't gained should be something good as well right?!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Your doctor's crazy 82 pounds lost? *AS IF* he sees that everyday
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

What a jerk!!!

It sounds to me like he is an SB convert -- not that I have anything against SB, but it's not the only way to lose weight in a healthy fashion. I think you disappointed him bc you didn't lose the weight on his pet plan. It sounds like he is handing out the advice to go on SB as a panacea to his overweight patients and you broke his illusion that his advice was the only/best way for them to lose.

Anyway, doctors are just people and we know lots of people who are insensitive and self-centered. It's just too bad when one of those people are in charge of something as important as our health care.

You have done an awesome job on your weight loss!!! I think you should continue what you are doing and flaunt your success at your next checkup!

Last edited by yoyoma; 11-09-2009 at 10:43 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
This morning I saw my family practice dr. for the first time since losing weight. It was a very disappointing experience. He always encouraged me to lose weight so I guess I expected too much of a reaction. He had plenty to say back then. Now, he was, "You've lost weight, that's nice. Are you doing the South Beach Diet?" He seemed disappointed that I am not doing the SB diet. When I asked him about my weight loss slow down, he said switch to the SB diet and he gave me a prescription for diet pills, which I won't use.

My TSH was too high so he increased my thyroid medication. Hopefully that will help with the slow loss.

I had his nurse look up my highest weight because I could not remember it. It was higher than I thought so I adjusted my weight here. I guess I expected too much from my GP. I looked forward to his reaction to my weight loss and it just wasn't there. That is OK. I cheer myself on and I have all of you here!
Cheryl,

I'll put my health care providers hat on for a sec and try to provide some perspective.

First, I'm UBER disappointed that he didn't give you a HUGE congratulations!!!! I know that some doctors keep things that weight 5, 10 and 20 lbs around their office and show them to patients by way of congratulations.

I'm sure that he barely ever sees people who have lost as much as you have.

A lot of times, though, doctors don't really pay that much attention in a way. They focus on the information in front of them and don't take time to look at trends. That is HIS BAD. He was probably in a hurry, a little distracted, and thinking about the fact that you are still, technically overweight, rather than thinking about what he should have been thinking about, which is how far you've come.

I have a doctor friend (male) with whom I've shared my weight loss journey. Every time he sees me, he tries to put me on one wacko diet or another. He has even taken time out of his busy day to google wacko diets for me!!! I always say "thanks, but what I'm doing is working..." and despite the evidence right in front of him, he still does it. Chalk it up to men are weird.

I just want to say YOU ROCK MY WORLD because you stayed on track in spite of the fact that you WERE HYPOTHYROID!!!

Now, go find yourself 3 twenty-five pound bags of dog food plus a huge cantaloupe and pick them up at the same time to remind yourself how far you've come!!!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #10  
No description available.

You bet you have us here to cheer you on!! You are doing SO great!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Good thing we don't do these things to please our doctors! ha! You are doing so well, though. Take all of the kudos from us here and run with it. We're all impressed!! WE KNOW how hard it is!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! 3FC rocks!

ubergirl, thanks for the prospective from the health care providers. I hope that you don't mind a question. My TSH was 8.470. Is that enough to have affected my weight loss? Thanks!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #13  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I am sure that was disappointing but you know you are doing a great job. I am lucky I guess that i have a wonderful doctor that is very encouraging and I am totally comfortable with. I discussed my weight loss with him when I went in last MOnday -- he was surprised to see how much I had lost -- good surprised though.

Keep up the great work!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I am sorry that your doc was not as excited for you as he should have been. We will all just have to be extra excited to make up for him.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

ugh, what a jerk! 82 lbs? My dr would have done cartwheels around the office, LOL

Congrats on your fantastic success.
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote