Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default Indecisive Scale?

So, I went to weigh this morning (even though I ate horribly yesterday) and the first time I got on, it said 205. I was SO excited, but for some reason decided to step off and back on...that time it said 207. Then I did it AGAIN and it said 206. One more time and it said 205...

What's the deal? Which number should I go with? Is my scale just wonky? I'd love to just say, 205 it is...but I can't block those other numbers out of my head. Does this ever happen to anyone else? Is my scale not accurate at all?
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
So, I went to weigh this morning (even though I ate horribly yesterday) and the first time I got on, it said 205. I was SO excited, but for some reason decided to step off and back on...that time it said 207. Then I did it AGAIN and it said 206. One more time and it said 205...

What's the deal? Which number should I go with? Is my scale just wonky? I'd love to just say, 205 it is...but I can't block those other numbers out of my head. Does this ever happen to anyone else? Is my scale not accurate at all?
Ugh, used to happen to me all the time until I got a new scale. If you claim the lowest number then don't be disappointed if you don't see it again tomorrow.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #3  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

pick it up, clean off the feet, clean off the floor under it, try again...

my floor has little tiles, I am wondering if it doesn't always sit right.

If the 205 makes you feel better, keep it...but what about next week? Will you be able to rationalize it next week?
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Get on the scale ONCE.

Record the weight.

Don't weigh any more to try to get a "better" number!

Really, stop jumping on and off the scale. If your scale is old, consider getting a newer one. But, most scales will give a slightly different number each time--even new ones.

No reason to make yourself mental about a pound or two.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-09-2009 at 09:13 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Follow Jay's advice.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I admit it. I do the step on and step off thing too. At first I was tempted to claim the lowest number but then would feel like I had gained weight if I didn't see that low number the next day. Now, I gave myself the rule that I have to see a weight three days before I claim it. I also see my weight as my weight range.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

It happened to my to , so decide to step just one time .
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #8  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

You're all right...I should have just done it once (that was the best number, anyway!). I was just so surprised to see it after the bad day I had yesterday. I wasn't weighing numerous times to get a "better" number, just maybe the more accurate number so I wasn't setting myself up to be really mad next time I weigh.

And I actually only weigh once a week...I like seeing the bigger results.

Thanks for all the good advice, glad to know I'm not the only one with a possessed scale!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #9  

My dieting became really effective when I dumped the old bathroom scales and bought a pricey balance beam scale, like the ones used in the doc's office. What I have is accurate to within one quarter pound.
Lincolns Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Ugh i hated that! When I didn't have a scale of my own I used to weigh on my moms, & hers does the exact same thing. I'd just suggest a new scale :]. Also dont let those #s get to you too much.. there's so much that can affect your weight, like water retention, etc... keep your head up girl!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #11  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolns Sparrow View Post
My dieting became really effective when I dumped the old bathroom scales and bought a pricey balance beam scale, like the ones used in the doc's office. What I have is accurate to within one quarter pound.
Same here. I absolutely loooove my balance beam scale. It takes any guess work out of weighing. You balance at a specific number. That's it....measured as small as 4 ounces (1/4 of a pound). It's a great investment.
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

My scale does the exact same thing. I get on and off, and get different numbers. But eventually I get a number that comes up consistently, and that is the number that I go with. So, if I get on the scale and it says 151, then get on again and it says 150, then get 150 five more times, I go with 150.

But my scale is extremely wonky. I noticed that I would weigh in for several days, and get the exact same number. Exactly the same. That can't be right - I mean, with fluctuations, nobody is going to weigh exactly the same for several days in a row, I wouldn't think.

So, I have been weighing in on my gym scale lately. I think that one is more accurate.
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote