General chatter - What is your favorite coffee?

View Full Version : What is your favorite coffee?

ladyrider72472
11-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, thanks to one of my coffee favorites...... here it is WAY past my bed time and I am soooooo not sleepy! :coffee2: I thought it would be appropriate for me to start a thread about coffee.

What are your favorites? Have you tweaked them since starting the WL journey?

One of my favorites (not today's culprit) is an Almond Joy Latte. It is sooo wonderful. I have had it altered to fit my healthy lifestyle, but even at that, I have to limit it to once a week (well, I don't have to..... I just don't want to drink all my calories/points).

LittleMoonRabbit
11-09-2009, 05:23 AM
dunkin donuts regular. pretty simple tastes. no flavors or anything fancy... just DD with a little cream, and a little sugar.

I only drink it occasionally though, so it's a treat when I have it with sugar. I usually don't drink my morning coffee with sugar.

PinkyPie
11-09-2009, 06:03 AM
I am a purist :lol: so I drink espresso (black), coffee (black) or once a day a triple tall non-fat Latte. I work for SBUX and my favorite whole bean coffee is Kenya which I brew daily with a french press. I never have been a real fan of sugary, milky drinks, which I guess is a good thing, so I don't have to tweak my coffee at all!

Sweet Sissy
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
What a perfect post as I sit here with my morning cup of coffee!

I'm partial to the Archer Farms (Target's house brand) Cinnamon Vanilla Nut ground coffee. It's only around $6 a bag and has just the right amount of spice to it. I doctor mine with a little low fat milk and some splenda, and it's really indulgent for very, very few calories.

EZMONEY
11-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Folgers ~ Yuban ~ Maxwell House

all the same to me and I drink a ton of it daily.....black

bacilli
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I like DD coffee, just the plain regular roast. I drink it daily, from home and from the DD down the street. Black or with a splash of soy milk. I've tried cheaper and more expensive brands, and keep going back to DD.

On a side note, the best coffee I've ever had in my entire life was at a lodge in Alaska. It was a special blend from beans they got at a local coffee shop in the Fjords. They didn't sell it, but they were nice enough to let me take a plastic baggie home with me. The thought of that coffee makes my mouth water still, and I pitched a fit when I used up the last of it after we got home.

DH and I would move to Alaska - me for the coffee, him for the beer. We live in the Midwest and the beer he loves can't be shipped here, so we're both stuck without our tasty favorites.

ladyrider72472
11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
thanks for the inputs.......

I forgot to tell you my favorite 0 point coffee. It is from San Fransico Bread Company (next door to our office). Southern Pecan, with 4 equal, and a dash of cinnamon. I love it. And that is my weekday coffee. I also like Cracker Barrels. They sell a pumpkin pecan kind, but I have not tried it yet.....

bacilli, :rofl: for the drinks. I can imagine me telling my DH.... I want to move to Alaska for the coffee....... I would probably have to go single :(

Thanks for the input ladies and gentleman!

Fressca
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Tall, non-fat, extra-hot latte - Starbucks all the way! I heard someone on the radio talking about the success of Sbux, he said something like, "Warm milk, oral satisfaction, how could it go wrong??"

luvja
11-09-2009, 10:18 AM
If you ever make it to Canada, you must try Tim Horton's coffee. Mmmm. My favourite.

bargoo
11-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I like French Roast ,I grind my own beans. Black coffee and strong. I hate, hate, hate, instant coffee !!!!

annie175
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Tall, Skinny, Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks
Carmel NF cappacinno from MCDs
Pumpkin Spice Cap from Speedway Gas Station
Pumpkin Spice Cap from Circle K
Carmel Mocchioto (sp) from Circle K

None are diet friendly, but once in a while I WANT one!~!

Otherwise, Any black coffee with NF cream.

mayness
11-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't usually buy coffee... I get it for free at work. We have a "Nespresso" espresso machine, and if you set it to the highest cup size, it basically just makes a really strong cup of coffee. Sometimes I drink it black, sometimes I add one of those little tubs of half & half, sometimes I use half of a Splenda packet.

Flavored coffees are good, I guess, but I don't like drinking my calories - if a cup of coffee costs me more than 30 calories, I'm not willing to work it into my day.

There are lots of local places with really good coffee here (we've got Gimme! Coffee, in case anyone from NYC knows them). I do like coffee from Dunkin' Donuts, and McDonalds. Tim Horton's is ok in a pinch. You would have to pay ME to drink Starbucks brewed coffee.

RN BSN 2009
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
If you ever make it to Canada, you must try Tim Horton's coffee. Mmmm. My favourite.

Mmmm Timmy's is the best... we have it in michigan too.

Gelene
11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
My favorite is my own coffee from my Keurig brewer. I pop in a K-cup and in 30sec. have a yummy cup of hot coffee. You can go on line and order several different brands and flavors for pennies a cup. Right now my favorite is the pumpkin spice with a splash of 1/2 & 1/2. I have never liked sugar in my coffee so that is a plus for me.
I will splurge about twice a month and buy a sugar free iced coffee from McDonald's with only half the sweet.

dragonwoman64
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I usually drink DD too. A great instant coffee is Bustello, it's more of an instant espresso. I usually have to put a little sugar in that, I drink my regular coffee with milk no sugar.

murphmitch
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Skinny Hazelnut Latte at Starbucks. Nonfat milk and Sugar Free syrup. Get my dairy in with no extra calories. I just wish my Starbucks would have SF pumpkin!

Pita09
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I work at Starbucks so there isn't much there that I don't like. I bring home either Komodo Dragon (my current love) or some other wonderfully dark roast and brew that. I'm going to be buying a French Press this Christmas, since I now know how fabulous they are!

The drinks I enjoy the most:
Triple tall, non-fat, two Splenda cappuccino
Venti, one pump toffee nut, three Splenda iced coffee
Triple Grande, 2 pump white mocha, non-fat latte (for when I'm feeling bad)

raebeaR
11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Another coffee purist here....

I order and have shipped my French Roast beans from the same company that roasts them right around the corner from where I used to live... grind them whole every morning and use a manual-pour Melitta coffee brewer/pot. While the coffee is steeping, I heat about a cup of 1% milk in my 2-cup mug, then add my super-strong coffee to it. Every day for about the past 25 years... it's still my very, very favorite, and one of the best treats of my day. I never skip it except when I travel, and if I'm driving to my destination, I pack up the whole works and take it along.

Can't live without my :coffee: !!!!! It's the last vice I HAVE LEFT!!!! ;)

ANewCreation
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Starbucks VIA ready brew is my new addiction. I bought a 24 pack at Costco's after my sons girlfriend treated me to a pack.
Add a splash of half and half--perfection!

heidiruth
11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
White chocolate mocha frap either iced, blended or hot. Its my favorite of all time!!!

funnycanadiangirl
11-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Glad to see some fellow baristas on this board!! Holla to my fellow chickies in green aprons! I'm on leave from work right now, and can't wait to go back in a few weeks.When I first started at Starbucks, the best advice I got from my training partner was "do not drink anything on this menu without modifying it. Or you will gain the Starbucks 15". Wise man, he was!

I always enjoy Starbucks' Christmas Blend. A fellow partner is visiting me in Johannesburg and brought me a pound to tide me over until I get back in December. My favourite bar drink is a non-fat americano misto (latte-esque but with more coffee deliciousness and less milk/calories), but normally it's just bold coffee (I miss Verona!). Most of my favourite coffees are not Starbucks though - there's an independent coffee roasting company in my hometown that sells AMAZING coffee. I have been known to stop at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings on my way to work and buy a cup! I also love Caribou Coffee's Reindeer Blend.

I HATE Tim Horton's coffee, but I've been gone from Canada for so long that I actually miss it! First thing I'm doing off the plane at Pearson? Medium Timmy's with 2 milk. Been a long time.

GradPhase
11-10-2009, 04:17 AM
On a side note, the best coffee I've ever had in my entire life was at a lodge in Alaska. It was a special blend from beans they got at a local coffee shop in the Fjords. They didn't sell it, but they were nice enough to let me take a plastic baggie home with me. The thought of that coffee makes my mouth water still, and I pitched a fit when I used up the last of it after we got home.

DH and I would move to Alaska - me for the coffee, him for the beer. We live in the Midwest and the beer he loves can't be shipped here, so we're both stuck without our tasty favorites.

This certainly intrigues me :) - was it a Mooses Tooth brew DH fell in love with, or an "Alaskan"? And which coffee place/which fjord??? :coffee2: Always looking for new Alaska things to love, to make up for the fact that it's so expensive to leave the stinking state - I don't have a lot of branching out options!

I'm still looking for a great home-coffee brand and I'm definitely willing to start my calorie limit for the day based on my coffee and fixings. Love, love, love it. But I'm not too stubborn to admit that I just don't know what to look for when buying coffee! Dark roasts, light roasts - it's all the same to me until I buy it and it doesn't taste "right" and then I can't ever remember which ones are bad!

bacilli
11-10-2009, 06:52 AM
He's in LOVE with Alaskan Amber. He still talks about how great the beer was, and our trip was like 5 years ago.

We stayed at The Seward Windsong, and they got their coffee from a shop in town. I'm sure if you call them they'll tell you where, they told me, but I can't remember the name of it. They probably won't give up the blend, but the shop in town had some pretty darn good coffee. The Seward's number is 907-224-7116. Happy coffee hunting!

A tip my grandpa gave me when I started drinking coffee ages ago is to put a pinch of salt on top of the grounds before you brew. That's how they made it in the Navy, to prevent bitterness, and I've found it works wonders on brews that are a touch bitter or too strong for my tastes.

mayness
11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I can't believe I forgot this the first time I replied... my very favorite coffee is what my dad brings me back from Honduras!

Even if you just buy a bag of pre-ground coffee at the airport (it's the cheapest place we've found) it's better than most other coffee I've had. And he has friends whose relatives grow and roast their own... he only brought it home once, but omg, that stuff is fantastic. They sugar-roast it... I'm sure that's part of why it's SO GOOD, but it adds some mysterious number of calories. It's like a pound of sugar per 5-10 pounds of (raw) beans so it can't be TOO bad, right?? :D

MathGirl87
11-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I just found my favorite coffee yesterday as a matter of fact...

There is a Starbucks really close to where I live when I'm not in school - and they have great sugar-free, nonfat options...but there isn't a Starbucks where I go to school so I have been looking like crazy for good coffee!

Yesterday I looked online and saw that McDonald's offers nonfat, sugar free vanilla stuff...So I ordered a sm. nonfat sf vanilla cappuccino and it was DELICIOUS! AND the best part is that it's only 50 cals and 0g fat! It's also good because it has about 12g carbs I think and I never seem to get enough carbs throughout the day...so there ya go!

Shannon in ATL
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I also have a Keurig - my current coffees in stock are German Chocolate Cake, Wild Mountain Blueberry, Butter Toffee, French Vanilla, Rain Forest Nut & a morning blend & some extra bolds that DH picked out. I tend to gravitate toward the flavored coffees myself. 1 tsp raw sugar, 1 tbsp creamer and I'm good to go. 50-65 calories, depending on which creamer I go with.

FitGirlyGirl
11-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I have discovered a wonderful local coffee place here in the town I live in. They do their own roasts which are starting to be carried in some local stores and the sell it online at biffscoffeee.com My favorite from them is Bifferdoodle - it is snickerdoodle flavored and is awesome with a bit of splenda and a splash of ff milk. I also love their southern pecan roast - I put a little sugar free honey in it and it's like a cup of pecan pie. They have lots of flavors and of course unflavored roasts. I love everything they do.

GradPhase
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
bacilli - We make an awesome salmon dip with Alaskan Amber! The Alaskan Pale is great for fondue, too. Also - I worked all summer in Seward, booking for the Windsong and working at their sister company doing boat tours! I'll have to ask them where they got there coffee from when I go down for a visit :)

That tip about the salt is really interesting - I'll have to give it a try. Neat!

bacilli
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Eskino, if you can squeeze the blend they use out of them, you will be my favorite person EVER! I can get coffee shipped from Alaska, if I can just get the blend right, I'll be in coffee heaven!

Now if I could just find a way to get the beer ... :D

Corella191
11-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I LOVE Speedway coffee...i always add 3 shots of chocolate creme and 3 shots of dulce de lacce caramel....mmmm

And of course Starbucks...God i love starbucks coffee..

theCandEs
11-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Dunkin' Donuts regular is my favorite! I've been using the flavored creamer lately, and I like it even better that way now. I had a tall mocha from Starbucks last week and it was good, but sometimes I just want regular coffee. I like McD's regular coffee and Chick-fil-a coffee, too.

GatorgalstuckinGA
11-14-2009, 11:18 PM
My favorite is Illy espresso. I have a FrancisX5 that I use to make my wonderful espresso each morning using the Illy Dark Machiatto espresso grind blend and steam some fresh low fat milk...great wake me up. Reminds me of when i was in italy...pretty much everyone used Illy over there (some of the best and cheepest espresso you could find).

zenor77
11-14-2009, 11:37 PM
DH buys green beans from Sweet Maria's or Brew Organic and roasts them himself in a popcorn popper. It's really amazing coffee! Super fresh and half the price of roasted beans. My favorites are usually from Sumatra or Ethiopia, although we've had some wonderful beans from Brazil recently.

Once roasted we grind and brew our coffee in either a French press or a Moka pot if we are in the mood for espresso.

I drink coffee black. If I'm going to drink my calories, then I want wine!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeppers ... Timmy's is the best -- Tim Horton's, that is ... :hug:

cassieroll
11-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I like plain old maxwell house or yuban. I like it strong and I use real sugar and half and half. For a treat I'll use heavy cream. YUM!

chicagoatnight
11-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Oh I love coffee for a treat I'll have a Starbucks non-fat latte, Starbucks is not my favorite by any stretch but it's most convenient, if I'm downtown I'll have an Intelligentsia non-fat latte (treat cuz I usually make some mediocre coffee at home to save $). For extra special treat, I'll have Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream and sugar, this is like a blankie to me, super comforting and makes me feel so good, or a specialty coffee from Starbucks like a non-fat pumpkin latte or something similar. I haven't tried Caribou yet but want to.

raebeaR
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
DH buys green beans from Sweet Maria's or Brew Organic and roasts them himself in a popcorn popper. It's really amazing coffee! Super fresh and half the price of roasted beans. My favorites are usually from Sumatra or Ethiopia, although we've had some wonderful beans from Brazil recently.

Once roasted we grind and brew our coffee in either a French press or a Moka pot if we are in the mood for espresso.

I drink coffee black. If I'm going to drink my calories, then I want wine!

zenor77, I'm intrigued by roasting green coffee beans in a popcorn popper. Could you elaborate a bit? I'd love to try it myself! Thanks. :)

Agree with the wine, absolutely, though I do love 1% milk in my coffee -- I figure I need the calcium, too!!