Nutrition and Labeling - Certified Humane

View Full Version : Certified Humane

JayEll
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Maybe some of you saw the news story last week about an allegedly organic meat operation in Vermont that got shut down by the Humane Society for mistreatment of animals. I won't go into details--if you google you can find out.

This has made me aware that if people who eat meat or animal products care about how animals are raised, it's good to look for the Certified Humane Raised and Handled label on animal foods.

Many folks who want to eat healthy seek to avoid antibiotics and hormones in animal foods, as well as looking for the free-range labeling. But just because a company is organic does not mean that it treats animals well.

You can find out more here:

http://www.certifiedhumane.org/

and there is a quick list of producers here:

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/farm-animal-cruelty/certified-humane-raised-and.html

Jay

Suzanne 3FC
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
That's great information, thanks!

JayEll
11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
You're welcome, Suzanne! :wave:

Jay

meandmyself
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for sharing...I am always striving to do better...eat better...live better.

RN BSN 2009
11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
sigh. it's too bad a lot of these places that do treat animals ethically cannot keep their doors open due to the cutthroat low pricing of commercial farms. people just don't have the money these days to increase the grocery bill.

JayEll
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
All I can say is that when a fast-food double cheeseburger costs $1, you know something is wrong somewhere...

I gladly pay more for organic, humanely produced whole foods.

Jay

JulieJ08
11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
All I can say is that when a fast-food double cheeseburger costs $1, you know something is wrong somewhere...

Now that's the truth. We like to say we just can't afford to pay extra. And I would never make someone in poverty feel bad about what they eat. But that fact is, that cheeseburger is not cheap. It's just that you've shifted the cost, whether in dollars or suffering or cheap labor or the environment, onto someone/something else that can't defend itself. The cost is still there. I am far from perfect, but I think it's better to at least admit the problem.

nelie
11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Well I think it is a shame that our grain crops are so heavily subsidized and that is because they are used to feed animals and so that the costs of animal products is lower.

I think it'd be nice to subsidize those that are practicing sustainable farming and using organic methods instead.

zenor77
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
This is one of the reasons I try to buy as much of my food from local farmers as possible. When you are actually talking to the farmer and forming a relationship with them, it makes them more accountable to their customers.

As far as expense, I feel it's worth it to buy higher quality and just eat a lot less meat. Vegetarian organic or local protein options are typically cheaper than conventional meat.

crazyaboutgym
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
great links! thanks for posting!