Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #1  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Default has anyone lost weight just by walking/treadmill?

hi ladies! My normal workout routine isent helping much. Ive heard walking is great for weight loss. So I'm wondering have any of you lost weight strictly by walking or using the treadmill?
I want to try it out and see if it works. Also, does anyone know how many days a week and how much per day to lose weight? Thanks!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #2  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Thats pretty much all I did the first month and lost 14 pounds. I mix it up on the treadmill though. Im on week 6 and have just started working on jogging. I also have worked up to putting the incline like between 10 and 15 and walking 3.0-3.5. Im pouring sweat by the time Im done.

I work out between 45 & 60 mins 6 times a week. Ive also started doing a video to use my dumbells!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #3  

I pretty much exclusively walk on my treadmill when I go to the gym and just hit my 20 pound loss. I walk on the treadmill 4 to 5 times a week for 30 minutes and usually do some light weights 3 of those times as well.

I've recently starting running for one minute intervals during the walks as well, but that's not something I added until about two weeks ago.

Obviously, it's different for everyone, but you can definitely lose weight walking.
emilydreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

The first month all I did was walk 30-45 minutes on the treadmill because I had really horrible endurance and I lost 12 lbs.

But most of the things I read say that what you eat is more important to lose weight so I keep a very strict account of what I eat every day.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I don't use a treadmill, but I've been dieting and walking for about 9 months and I lost my entire 70lbs almost exclusively walking. I walk 4- 5 miles 4-6 days a week. I have also been lifting weights with free weights and squats and lunges and sit ups 3 days a week for about 7 months now.

With that said, since it is winter I plan to step up my workouts, so I plan to lose the 2nd half of my weight with some heavier exercise but that's just because I have no where to walk in the cold temperatures.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you mean can you lose weight without changing or monitoring your diet, and only walking on the treadmill as exercise, that's a more difficult question to answer (and the short answer is probably not).

The problem with trying to lose weight with exercise alone is that increasing exercise often increases hunger, and without even realizing it, the tendency is to eat more to compensate for the difference.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Do you mean lose weight using the treadmill as your only form of exercise, coupled with a healthy calorie cutting plan? Then, of course! Walking either on a treadmill or outside is a great exercise because you do it for long periods without causing injury or soreness to your joints. The trick is that you have to cut back on what you're eating, too. That combined with walking is a surefire way to lose weight!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I could be exercising for hours and hours on end. If I don't carefully monitor my calorie intake I wouldn't lose much, if anything. "They" say that it's 80% food/20% exercise. And I believe them. For me, it's probably even higher then that.

There's only so many calories exercise can burn. If you're running marathons daily, 26 point something miles, well then that's another story.

It really is about a lifestyle CHANGE. For me it was a lifestyle OVERHAUL. I was doing many things wrong. So I needed to change many things. I needed to accept that and then institute the changes that were necessary to MAKE IT HAPPEN, IF I wanted to be that slim, trim, healthy person that I longed to be. There was no way around it. None. I couldn't eat this and that AND be that health conscious person. It just can't occur. But this is nothing to dread. This is a good thing. This healthy lifestyle is a wonderful way to live. Give it a chance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #9  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

I've heard that when it comes to losing weight, nutrition plays a 70% role, and exercise a 30% role. So tons of exercise without observing your diet may not do much.
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Walking. No. I walked 2 miles a day at 281lbs...my peak weight.

But running a treadmill. H€ll, yeah. Especially combined with a good diet. The problem is you can't run a treadmill at 281lbs. So I lost 60lbs with diet alone and have slowly worked up to running at least 4 miles a day (either outside or on a treadmill). If I run a long run, like 12 miles I lose weight no matter what I eat. Period. But 3-4 miles is the sweet spot for me where I can eat comfortably and maintain (or lose if I diet/cut).

I do however keep my weight training separate from my running.That way you can focus all your energy on one activity. So I may run in the morning and weight train at lunch. Or run one day and weight train the next.

Running and weight training straight after? Neh.

Last edited by IanG; 09-21-2014 at 09:12 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #11  
Warrior Princess

Yes, but you have to walk brisk for long distances and really monitor your caloric intake. You can check with Myfitnesspal.com to customize according to your stats but I figure your daily allowance in the ballpark of 1,400-1,500.

No matter what you have to restrict calories.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

i have lower back problems and can't do anything more intense than walking. I monitor calorie intake and now i' walk about 5 miles a day (started with a mile a day 3 years ago). I'm down 61 pounds.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

I heard that you can definitely not outrun your fork. That being said, weight loss starts first in the kitchen and physical activity supports and aids weight loss. I'm not an expert on metabolism and all that jazz, but I know that that has been working wonders for me. I tend to stick to walking and occasional running because I enjoy it. I am not the kind of person that will get up at 5am to go to the gym because that's not a lifestyle I enjoy. However, I will take stairs and walk a little more than I would. So yes, it's possible to only lose weight just by walking and running, but remember that it all has to do with your food intake
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlou View Post
yes its correct, 70% diet and 30% exercise are the rules
Nice 1st post on a almost 5 year old thread.

Other than moving a LOT more i have no intentional exercise regime so my progress has been from what and how much i put in my mouth.

That said i will focus on strength training at or below goal.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 09-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #15  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin View Post
Nice 1st post on a almost 5 year old thread.
Ugh. I didn't even notice. Why do people do this??
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote