Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #1  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Anyone else have trouble seeing progress?

I am having some real trouble seeing progress in my body when I look in the mirror (like naked, right out of the shower). I KNOW that I've lost a good deal of weight, because I see it in the scale, and I've had to buy smaller clothes. My husband tells me it's "glaringly obvious" that I've lost a lot of weight, and people who haven't seen me for a while are telling me how "skinny" I am. However, when I look in the mirror, I see the same old me -- same face, same stomach, same thighs.

Anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it?
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

After a short spell of total disproportion, my body shape seemed to have gone back to exactly what it was when I started, so I look the same to myself, even though my clothes are smaller and I weigh less. However, sometimes I'll catch sight of my wrist or my upper leg and it will look much leaner than it did before.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

It's hard to reconcile what you are used to be and what is truly there.

For a long time I gained weight steadily, I didn't notice until clothes stopped fitting.... because I see myself every day in the mirror..and I avoided the scale for a long time living in denial.

same goes when it starts going the other way, you see yourself every day so it's hard to see a difference.

What I've been doing is taking pictures EVERY week of myself in the swimsuit and saving it documenting weight and date. I hope in a few months I can see the change.

Also I'm glad it's not tooo noticeable I'm losing because it means I'm losing proportionally throughout my body and not just in 1 section. That would be really awkward.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #4  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I feel like I look fatter. My measurements and my clothing tells me otherwise, but I have lost a ton of inches off my chest and hips but none off my gut yet. So I've lost 46 pounds and still have a 55 inch gut. It really keeps me from being able to see anything.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Bodies usually go through little periods of not showing change to showing a lot of change. One day I'll feel like there is absolutely no difference in how I look regardless of 37lbs lost, I'm even wearing most of the same clothes! And then the next day I'll catch a glimpse of myself in a store window and be like "who is THAT!" because my silhouette is completely altered. It's a day to day thing.

The only advice that is worth knowing is - don't worry about what you see or don't see yet. Keep at it keep at it keep at it and before you know it you won't recognize yourself. Eye on the prize, eye on the journey!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

Body image is a strange thing. Sometimes I feel like I look the same and the only thing that will convince me that I've really changed is to put on the jeans I was wearing a year ago. I still think my thighs are hugely fat, but the other day in the shower I realized that they are a lot smaller than they were. It's really odd how I can only see it in little glimpses.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I have this problem too! I can't see any difference whatsoever. I'm just trying to stay patient and work hard. Keep your head up! It'll happen for us, I'm sure!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

oh, this drives me crazy. I am all over the place thinking I'm bigger, smaller, no change. Yes, I FEEL tremendously different at this weight than my highest. My clothes are smaller. But how I see my body, I don't always see the difference, or I see it in a whacked out way. My shoulders and upper body is where I see the most difference, where I can say to myself, yes, I see the change.

I've taken lots of pics to show myself the difference. Away from the pics, I still don't always see it. Weirdest phenomenon.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

I can relate! I don't see a diffrence at all when I look in the mirror and only way I know is because of people who notice n tell me before i notice,the clothes are smaller and the scale...41 pounds is a good amount of weight to see a diffrence but I just can't see it and sometimes I feel I look better with more padding lol
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #10  

I can relate also. I think it's because in a way(at least for me) you expect some type of transformation in how your body looks, like it's going to look totally different, and really it's not. It's still the same body just smaller. Same shape(less in some areas)same bone structure same, build. Ya know. But the differnce is...exactly what your husband and others tell you. It's YOU only smaller. I have been working on self acceptance, and it's helping me to love my body just the way it is, and also love the changes that I do see in it.
zanjabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/134/118

Height: 5'3

I feel the same way, I can't notice it. Some days I feel like I look BIGGER ! Just gotta hang in there til I see what everyone else sees.
Caleighsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's totally normal and totally frustrating. Give your brain time to adjust. It'll happen.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Yep, all the time. I keep wondering when I'm going to notice...and I just don't see it.

I'm too scared to take pictures so I'll just...wait.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #14  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

I'm thinking I should probably take pictures and compare them to my summer vacation pictures, which is around the same weight I was when I joined WW.
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/171/155

Height: 5'6"

I know I have always had body image problems, and I am sure a lot of people with weight issues are the same. It stands to reason that we dont want to look at ourselves realistically when we are overweight, so it is hard to suddenly change! Photos are good though, and dont throw out all the "fat photos" you need those for comparison
africanaussie is offline   Reply With Quote