Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Strength training while walking?

Recently I've added 2lbs wrist weights while I walk. I think it makes me work harder and brings up my heartrate. Today I tried to incorporate some arm strengthening moves while I walked. Bicep curls, shoulder presses, lateral raises, and boxing jabs. Besides looking a little silly, do you think these are a bad or good addition to my walk? Will it cause injuries? Do you think it's better to do arm strenghtening on its own or is it fine to do it while I'm walking? How do you incorporate your upper body workout while walking?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #2  

Bump. No responses.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I carry 5 lb weights when I walk and I feel like it makes a really big difference. It makes walking feel more like a tough, productive work out and I can tell a big difference in my arms.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Just found this:

Quote:
Should I use hand weights while walking?

No! The risk far out weigh the benefits. Hand weights can be a great part of your fitness routine, but use them separate from your walk. Carrying weights will not provide the resistance needed to tone your muscles; but can increase your blood pressure, place strain on ligaments and tendons and may contribute to joint problems. You will actually be able to walk faster without carrying the weights, therefore getting a better workout.
The Walking Site
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #5  

Oh thanks! I guess I won't do it anymore.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Sorry ladies, but a big NO to carrying weights (including those ankle patch weights!) while walking or running! It will put stress on your joints.

Remember, muscle is built through real resistance training. 2-5lbs is really... less than many purses or grocery bags The "size" or "pump" you feel after is not actually muscle. Start at 2lbs or 5lbs if you are not used to training at all - but you will quickly need to build resistance and increase the weights.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote