Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Could you have lost/maintained without 3FC?

I really love seeing the new people here on 3FC who have lost or are maintaining a significant loss even before they got here. My own success is so driven by the tools and knowledge here on 3FC that I think I would still be spinning my wheels if I hadn't come here.

I've had myths shattered in my time here at 3FC and I learned the principles that have facilitated my success. Things like, nutrition counts, food is 90% of loss, weightlifting & HIIT rock, that major weight loss and SUSTAINED maintenance are possible, and that the changes must stick. There is no going back.

I was looking at some old pictures of me 50# ago and I am so very happy to be 50 pounds less, plus be in great shape. I'm a little nostalgic (it was my birthday yesterday) and I am so grateful to be healthier at 37 than I was at 27, and I owe so much of it to 3FC.

So could you have done it without 3FC? I'm not sure I could have.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Oh, I have lost many times without 3FC, but I was never able to maintain that loss. Here I have learned the tools to keep it off and the thing is the concept is so simple. I am not saying to maintain your loss is simple but the concept to maintain is ridiculously simple. When I came here wondering how to do it I learned you keep it off the same way you took it off . What an amazing idea !!! And it works !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

I don't know. I've lost before and maintained for a year or so, but then started gaining it all back (and then some). Honestly, for me, it's been kind of a lonely journey and I don't know if I'd have stuck with the "losing" part for so long without 3FC. And I feel like I have learned secrets about maintenance that I didn't really realize before (even though it makes perfect sense). So the answer is.....maybe I could have done it without 3FC, but I'm glad I don't have to.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #4  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

No I dont think I would be this successful in my weight loss. I needed support and I get it here EVERYTIME I log into the site! I get recipes, moral support, tips, tricks, relatabe stories that helps me stay on track. Had I not found the site I would still be wandering around trying to figure out where to find different types of foods while eating the same thing day in and day out as I had done in the past as well as hearing other viewpoints that are needed when making decisions that have to do w/ my health.
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

COULD I have? Undoubtedly. I had all the knowledge and tools.

BUT...would I have? I honestly don't think so. Without the support, encouragement, advice, and tips from everyone here, sticking with what I did, and even more, getting to a place where I ENJOY what I did so I could stick to it for life...I don't think that would have happened. Which would have, as we all know, led to regain.

I'm so grateful for what we have here!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I had already lost a little weight when I first found 3FC, but not much. I had several lose and regain experiences in my past at that time, too. Could I have continued to lose two years ago? Sure. I would have done it with slim fast bars instead of breakfast and lunch, would have kept filling myself full of artificial sweeteners and would likely never have tried a salad. My only exercise was the elliptical. Would I have been able to maintain? Not for long.

I found so many things here - answers to questions, recipes, support when I was down, reinforcement when I was up, exercise suggestions... So many things. I would never have tried weight lifting without 3FC, and I wouldn't be considering a half marathon in March. 3FC has been an important part of my maintenance without a doubt.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I lost without 3FC.

I maintained with 3FC. I was so lost when I found this place and I'm so thankful that I did. I had so many emotions and thoughts and no one to share them with. Not lonely anymore!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Lost weight? Yes. I had done it before. I did know what to do and how to do it. I have great friends and family members as a support group.

Maintain the loss? Probably not. I have never been successful at long-term maintenance. Previously, I hit goal, maintained the loss for a while and slowly - old habits crept back into my life.

I absolutely believe that i WILL maintain this weight - BECAUSE of what I have learned from all of you.
Maintenance was never on my radar in the past. I always believed that losing the weight was what I needed to focus on. I now know that lifestyle changes that I can continue long-term are a key component of maintenance. Thus, I have made the commitment to continue to do the things that helped me lose weight.

In a nutshell:
Without 3FC, I would no longer count calories, exercise as consistently, or as intensely as I do. I would not weigh myself daily. I would not have joined the NWCR. I would not eat as cleanly, and I definitely would not have found such inspirational mentors and weight-loss friends.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

No, I could not have had the success I have had in my journey without 3FC. When I found this place, I was under the misguided belief that less was best when it came to caloric intake. I have learned so so much from all you wonderful people here and I keep learning. I love 3FC and everyone here ♥
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

What a great question! I actually found 3FC at a wonderful time, I was just reaching maintenance. I had been posting a lot on the Shape forums while I was actively losing (what happened to the Shape regulars - anyone know? they abandoned the new Shape boards and I lost them in cyberspace).

I kind of had some ideas about how to maintain by not my "diet" but 3FC was a huge positive - a whole board of people who get me! Who have similar issues and victories and have great recipes. Who pick me up when I need it and kick my butt when I need it and say nice things when I post pictures of my mom.

LOVE.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #11  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatest View Post
I never ever even considered the concept of maintaining.
Losing weight was something a person did and then STOPPED when they were DONE.

3fc taught me that losing weight is a continuous function.
ITA! I would never have gotten to this point without 3fc! I found all of you lovely chickies early on in my journey and I'm addicted. My IRL friends and family don't really "get" how much this has changed my life. But you all do! I get all kinds of ideas, tips, new food suggestions and most importantly support here.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I don't know. I've lost before and maintained for a year or so, but then started gaining it all back (and then some). Honestly, for me, it's been kind of a lonely journey and I don't know if I'd have stuck with the "losing" part for so long without 3FC. And I feel like I have learned secrets about maintenance that I didn't really realize before (even though it makes perfect sense). So the answer is.....maybe I could have done it without 3FC, but I'm glad I don't have to.
hear hear! I have lost w/out 3FC by going to WW meetings and talking with other friends on the internet before 3FC was really the place to be. i maintained before and during 3FC but I gained and kept gaining during a period where I used NONE of my resources really... and I think most likely I could have kept it to a minimum had I been here but that wasn't the case.

so yeah, I probably could, but I'm glad I don't have to. I'm not leaving here again, that is a promise!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Well....

HAPPY 'late" BIRTHDAY BABY CATCHER!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I'm another who would've lost all this weight without 3fc.

But maintaining is another story. I am new to maintaining, and I don't know what it would look like without 3fc. I am seriously grateful to learn from others' past experiences. So many people write how they re-gained, for example, doing what I might've done if not for these boards. And coming here regularly will help me keep weight maintenance a priority.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't want to find out the answer to that question. Are you trying to tell us something????

I did know when I started this journey that it was forever. Actually I knew prior to making the commitment that it would have to be a permanent lifestyle change. I was looking for an on line support group fairly early into my journey and G-d was good to me and steered me towards this place. I know it's been incredible to "speak" with like minded people. I get great ideas, insights, recipes and camaraderie here. I also find it very valuable, now that I've lost the weight, to mete out advice (whether they take it or not) to others. Keeps reinforcing the "right" behaviors in my own brain. Being here also helps to keep my weight and my health a number one priority and focus.

Happy Belated Birthday Midwife. I LOVE Saturday birthdays. I hope you had a good one.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote