Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default Need help readjusting my goal

So my original goal weight was 145, until I started losing and realized I would be perfectly happy at 150. I'm now 148, and while I am more than happy with this number, I have quite a bit of toning I want to do (and a few more love handles to lose). I'm afraid if I don't set myself a number goal that I will lose motivation because it takes so much time for me to see changes in my body. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can readjust my goal from a scale number to some measurement of how toned I am that can keep me motivated? I'm on a definate kick right now and I'm afraid to lose it. Please help! Thanks
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

For 5'3" , 150 is still a little high. I would pick 140 which is actually at the high end of a healthy weight for you.At 150 your BMI is still a little high.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #3  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I personally don't think using BMI is the best way to go if you're happy with your weight. It's a useful tool as a statistic, but becomes less useful for describing/prescribing individuals. If all your health indicators are good and your doc is happy with how you're doing, I think it's a great idea to focus on more fitness-based measures. Here are some ideas:

-Measure yourself. I heard about myshape.com on here, where you can enter about 2 dozen measurements and it helps you find clothes that will fit you. You can keep track of your muscle circumferences and get cute clothes at the same time

-Take up running and see how your pace improves. The Fat or Fit guy swears by using pace as an indicator of fitness. As a slow runner, I don't totally agree, but seeing improvements in your pace/endurance can be very telling and rewarding

-I started keeping track of my bf%. I started at 33.3% 18 months ago and am now around 22-23%. I lost a percent just in the last month, even though my weight has only gone down about 3-4lbs.

Last edited by forestroad; 11-06-2009 at 03:35 PM.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree to take measurements and every week see if there is a difference.

Good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I also don't think using the BMI is the best way to set your goal. Yes, you should be under a BMI of 30, but some studies have shown that those in the overweight BMI can be healthier than those in the "normal" BMI range.

Body fat % is a better indicator of health, so Amy, maybe try go on that and measurements?

I speak as someone far from goal, but ... I read a lot
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

total agree with going by how you feel if I lost as much weight as the BMI says I would look sick and I am also 5'3 1/2 differant body types carry weight differantly when I was at a 160lbs everyone commented on it saying I've lost enough. measurments are a great way to go. congrats on your success
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Body Fat percentage is the way to go for sure!! BMI is a worthless, meaningless number...completely obsolete, in my opinion. According to "my" BMI, im BARELY at a healthy weight (at around 138-138lbs at 5'4")......im just a couple pounds away from being OVERWEIGHT. However, i am only 14% BF (which is actually very underweight, except for athletes, which i am) and wear a size 4 in pants and smalls x/small everything else..... bmi is stupid...go off of how you feel and LOOK
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with everyone about tracking your body fat percentage. Measurements too, especially if you are toning up - you'll lose inches faster than scale numbers. I recall looking at another poster's mini-goal pics, same height as me (and you actually), same weight.. but she was a size 9, whereas I'm inbetween 11 and 13.. So it goes to show that everyone carries their weight differently. I remember being quite happy at 143 last time I lost, and feeling as though anything more would be more for vanity and to have a little cushion room if I gained back a bit. Good luck!
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Yeah, BMI also doesn't take into account muscle mass or the fact that some of us may be a little well-endowed. That's why my "goal" is 160 - I'll see what happens when I get there, but last time I was 160, I was a tiny little thing, my chest just inflates my weight...
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote