South Beach Diet - Phase I Thread - November

View Full Version : Phase I Thread - November

Ruthxxx
11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
It's time to start this up again - a thread for new folks and restarting folks to share ideas, ask questions and post menus. As you move on into Phase I.5 and II, please hop over into the OP thread.

Of course, everyone is invited to join us in the daily thread where we chat about "other stuff" because life is not just about dieting - although it sure feels that way sometimes!

The MODs and experienced Beachers will be popping in here to answer questions and give encouragement.

mbsam
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I am, I am! I started last week, and lost 10 pounds!! I'm so delighted, and the loss is a definite motivator. So are the forums, so thank you for being here!

briggsy13
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I just started today. My dh is also doing this with me. We both have 20 or so pounds to lose but in general just want a healthier lifestyle. I stocked up on some new and different foods so hoping to make it!!

Ruthxxx
11-09-2009, 03:28 PM
:welcome: mbsam and Briggsy!

RRB2
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I've started PH1 again this Sunday (so far so good). It' my 3rd time on SBD (every time I loose 30 lbs I get pregnant :) ) - side effect!

RRB2
11-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll join in! I started PH1 on Sunday - so far so good. I love the way my body feels on SBD - once sugar cravings are gone!

junebug07
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Started Phase 1 yesterday. Two days down and doing okay so far. I have a slight headache tonight but know that will go away. This is my 2nd time doing SB. I had a lot of success last time.

Ruthxxx
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Junebug, being sure you have dairy and legumes will help the headaches. We call it the SBD 'flu!

Lexxiss
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Mbsam, Briggsy, RRB2, Junebug07

:welcome3:

Best Wishes! Join us on the daily, and OP weekly threads.

RRB2
11-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I also had a serious headache yesterday (day 2).
I thought it was from Sucralose I've been using.
As far as success goes - I lost 30 lbs twice on SBD and then .....got pregnant (so you cou8ld call it a happy side effect :) )

RRB2
11-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Mbsam, Briggsy, RRB2, Junebug07

:welcome3:

Best Wishes! Join us on the daily, and OP weekly threads.

Thanks for the welcome!

cottagebythesea
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
:welcome: Mbsam, Briggsy, RRB2, and Junebug07!

Kimmiblue
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I just started my second week on Phase I. I don't eat eggs at all. So I eat 3/4 cup of plain ff yogurt with a small spoonful of no sugar added jam. Then I have the morining star soy sausage links or pattys. There have been mornings where I just had the morning star soy sausage links and cabot lite cheese.

CyndiM
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Welcome Kimmi! I love the Cabot reduced fat cheese. It actually has some flavor :)

I am pretty sure the sf jelly is not allowed on Phase 1, being fruit derived. If you can get Greek yogurt it will add a little extra protein to your meal on no sausage days.

I'm also wondering where your veggies are? The veggies really help you fill up though it can be a realy shift to think about them in the morning :)

briggsy13
11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
day 2 is going ok. I've been eating salads for lunch and I end up hungry after just a couple hours. But then I eat my snack and start working on what we are having for dinner.
My dh leaves early in the a.m for work, so I have to have his breakfast, lunch, and snacks packed the night before. Kind of a pain, but hopefully worth it. I think tonight we are having chili for dinner.
i'm definately having some sugar cravings. I even made that 3 min chocolate cake in the recipes section. It was ok, but I'm hoping to find something better to cure my sweet tooth.
thanks for the warm welcome!!

briggsy13
11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah and what's up with going to the bathroom more than normal? I was up like 3 times last night to pee. It is/was totally annoying. I read somewhere that someone else had this on the diet. Was it like this for you? or am I just weird? LOL

Ruthxxx
11-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Briggsy, what are you having with your salad - protein, dairy, legumes? The bathroom trips are good - it means your body is dumping excess fluid. It gets better after a while.

RRB2
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Ditto about bathroom brakes - I remember it from last time as well.
Headache is gone - maybe because of the 5 mile walk today, maybe because of increased water intake.
Sugar cravings are pretty much gone as well - I love that about SBD that few days after starting PH1 I have NO cravings at all.
I made the Balsamic Salmon from the Quick and Easy Book and Eggplant Skillet Lasagna fro supper - yumm!

briggsy13
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Briggsy, what are you having with your salad - protein, dairy, legumes? The bathroom trips are good - it means your body is dumping excess fluid. It gets better after a while.

salad was romaine, mushroom, cherry tomatoes, hard boiled egg, shredded low fat cheese. It was good, but I think I need to have some chx breast on hand to make it a little more filling and lasting!!

briggsy13
11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I made chili tonight ( i know its only 5 oclock but my kids wake up from nap ready for dinner! LOL) and with the low fat sour cream and cheese it is to die for!!!! Plus I made a double batch so dh can just take a bowl tomorrow for his lunch and I don't have to make him anything. He had a salad today but I'm sure he wasn't full with his either.

JLN555
11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
So I was kind of confused with the natural peanut butter used for the peanut butter cup...... in phase 1 the natural peanut butter is allowed?

murphmitch
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Peanut butter and nuts are OK in all Phases. Have you read the food lists posted in the FAQ section?

RRB2
11-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Peanut Butter cookies used to be a must for me in PH1!

Kimmiblue
11-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Welcome Kimmi! I love the Cabot reduced fat cheese. It actually has some flavor :)

I am pretty sure the sf jelly is not allowed on Phase 1, being fruit derived. If you can get Greek yogurt it will add a little extra protein to your meal on no sausage days.

I'm also wondering where your veggies are? The veggies really help you fill up though it can be a realy shift to think about them in the morning :)

Thanks for your warm welcome Cyndi! I do need to add more veggies, but at breakfast? Do you have any ideas? Also in the SB Supercharges Book on page 181 it lists that you can have Jams and Jellies, sugar free. So that is why I add a tiny amount to my yogurt. I will try the Greek Yogurt.

Question: what is Phase I.5?

asphyxia63
11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm new to South Beach Diet, just started phase I Monday (it is now Saturday, so it's day 6). I have found it pretty easy to stick to protein, veggies and low fat cheese so far, guess I'm lucky. I feel like I'm eating a lot though! I told myself I wouldn't weigh-in until one week and then modify portions if needed. I have also noticed a lot of bathroom trips! About 3 times a night I get up to go! I thought maybe it was all the water I've been drinking, but I always drink water! I have also noticed I've been having a lot of dreams about "cheating" on the diet. Not gorging on cake and bread or anything, but I'll add a "bad" ingredient to a recipe or eat something on the "do not eat" list accidentally. And I'm not even craving/thinking about those kinds foods when I'm awake! Weird!

RRB2
11-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Today wasn't a great day for me - we are having company for the weekend, so lots of treat all around. I tried my best, though so hopefully the "official" weigh in tomorrow will be OK.

Ruthxxx
11-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Kimmie, I'm adding my welcome. Phase I.5 is a slow transition into full Phase II. It's our own invention because soem folks gained weight when they quickly changed into full Phase II.

:welcome: to you too, Asphyxia and your interesting moniker. Frequent potty trips at the beginning are the norm as your body dumps extra water.

Heidi58
11-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I do need to add more veggies, but at breakfast? Do you have any ideas?

Hi Kimmiblue - do you like v8 juice?
It's not quite as good as whole veggies, but it works great for breakfast. I'm always in a hurry in the morning and I don't care much for eggs so on phase 1 I usually have a couple of cheese sticks and an 11.5 oz can of V-8 as I'm driving to work.

OnTargetforLife
11-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Hello all!

I began phase 1 on Saturday. So far so good. Was out with DH all day and we had a lovely time. We had brunch at 1:30 pm and I still was not hungry at 7 pm when we finally stopped to have dinner. My pedometer said almost 11,000 steps! yay :D

Here is my question. I did great all day long when we were busy however my job is sedentary for sometimes very long hours. When we got home today I noticed that I felt hungry. I didn't eat anything I shouldn't but what's up with the hunger trigger as soon as I sat down? I really have to find an answer to this as changing jobs in this market is just not an option for me right now. :(

I did feel SOOOO much better with the reduction in carbs. It was truly amazing. :carrot:

I am also going to try to get starting weight, measurements and pics posted tomorrow along with planned short term and long term goals.

I look forward to your guidance.

~Deb

Kimmiblue
11-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Kimmie, I'm adding my welcome. Phase I.5 is a slow transition into full Phase II. It's our own invention because soem folks gained weight when they quickly changed into full Phase II.

:welcome: to you too, Asphyxia and your interesting moniker. Frequent potty trips at the beginning are the norm as your body dumps extra water.

Thanks Ruthxxx. Can you explain Phase 1.5 or tell me where to goto read about it please?

murphmitch
11-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's some links that may help you Kimmiblue:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/59321-emergency-handbook-phase-2-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/92773-how-add-new-things-slowly-p2.html#post1390480

There's lots of good info under the SB FAQ's.

briggsy13
11-16-2009, 11:04 AM
well today has been my first full week of phase 1. I'm down 3.7 lbs for the week!! I'm pretty happy with that, and hope that week 2 brings the same kind of results!!!

asphyxia63
11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
My first full week too! I'm down 1.8 lbs and I'm happy with that because I only have about 20 I want to lose. I know it's going to take a very long time, but I'm feeling good about it! I'm going to take a better look at my portion sizes this week, I think I'm eating way too much meat when I have it at a meal.

briggsy13
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
My first full week too! I'm down 1.8 lbs and I'm happy with that because I only have about 20 I want to lose. I know it's going to take a very long time, but I'm feeling good about it! I'm going to take a better look at my portion sizes this week, I think I'm eating way too much meat when I have it at a meal.

cool to have someone else on the same week. I would like to lose 30 altogether. But anything less than what I am now will be good!! hoping next week I lose even more!!

Ruthxxx
11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Good work, Chickies. :cheer: Now where are the rest of the Phase I folks?

Fat Melanie
11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Here's one, I was accidentally posting in the OP thread. Oops! I guess I'm not blonde for nothing, hahah.

Welcome you guys who are new or seem to be new, I am glad I'm not alone in doing Phase 1! How are you guys handling it so far, besides the SBD flu?

Wow, I had completely forgot about the SBD flu... that explains my massive headache the past two nights. Thankfully it's gone now. Milk works wonders.

This is day 4 of Phase 1 for me, yet again. I'm hoping to lose 10, maybe 15 (one can dream?) by Christmas. I've had so many failures and so many successes with the SBD, the failures being my own responsibility, the successes being the SBD and my willpower, sticking to it. I went down 30 lbs or so on the SBD, but gained it back during a particularly hard time earlier this year. Went back on it, lost it all again, and gained it back fairly quickly after moving into the place I live in now. This is all my responsibility and my fault.

One of my major pitfalls is finances, which does at times prevent me from getting all the SBD approved foods I need for success. Often I had been relegated to buying some of the more unhealthy, yet cheapest options. (50 cent macaroni and cheese, anyone?) Luckily, my financial situation has improved that I should have NO excuses for not staying OP and I hope you ladies can hold me to it! Call me out on it if I complain about a unhealthy food binge, I have no one to blame but myself.

I believe that now that I am more financially stable, it will enable me to follow through with this and leave me successful...

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!!!! I'm a pro at Phase 1 after doing it so many times, regarding the right kind of foods and all that, so ask me questions if you need to, I am more than willing to answer!

asphyxia63
11-19-2009, 10:48 PM
You know, I don't think I ever got the SBD flu, does everyone? It's the end of day 11 on phase I. I think I've been doing pretty alright. I wasn't too too bad at sweets and stuff but I would do a lot of thoughtless eating. Grab whatever was around when hungry. And eat large servings of pizza and pasta when having it as a meal. So now I plan better and think about what I'm eating. Hopefully I won't always have to think so much about it- I think that's what makes me fail- the calorie counting or the portioning or the planning. I'd like it to just be second nature.

RRB2
11-20-2009, 03:55 AM
This week was not great for me food wise, but I did the best I could + I did a ton of walking -probably around 20 miles this week alone (pushing a stroller with a toddler), so I still lost 2 lbs.
I'm planning on continuing PH1 next week hoping to get back in the saddle. I'm also having my thyroid checked (I used to be on Synthroid few years ago)

Ruthxxx
11-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Whew! For a while there I thought there was nobody on Phase II. Hang in there, chickies!

Fat Melanie
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Asphyxia, nah I wouldn't say everyone gets it, you didn't, right? heheh. :) Is this your first time doing Phase 1? Congrats on making it to day 11! Yep, I'm the same way when it comes to thoughtless eating and portions in meals. I still struggle with it because I always just want more... I always feel like I need to clean my plate and then get seconds.. I've tried calorie counting but it seems to take the joy out of eating and it's just a pain in the butt. I don't discount it though, I know some people here still calorie count just to keep themselves in check.

Hi RRB2, congrats on the walking and the 2 lbs! Don't worry, it'll get easier. It is hard to adjust to it at first. It really is! As a matter of fact right, I just unwrapped a little debbie's gingerbread cookie for my son and the smell of it made me WANT IT RIGHT NOW. So I just sat there and inhaled the scent for a minute (I know, that's weird), and gave it to him. I knew it wasn't worth it, I know how in the past I could polish off several of those lil debbies gingerbread men. And it's not worth it!! good luck with the thyroid, hopefully the doctor will help you rev up that metabolism!

Well you guys, it's been 5 days on Phase 1 for me and I did step on the scale this morning. I was very dissapointed. I haven't even lost 1-2 lbs, which is the average rate of loss a week. As a matter of fact the scale says I gained a few, but I'm not counting that right yet, knowing it could be water retention (it is that time of the month, although I think it's over now.)

I enjoy the 'quick' weightloss of the first two weeks of phase 1 because it's very motivating, and when it slows down in Phase 2 it doesn't bother me because I know this is normal and natural and that most of the weightloss in Phase 1 was just water weight, but still. I am dissapointed nonetheless.

That said, it ain't over til it's over, I still have over a week to go. It's not even been technically a week yet, so I'm hanging in there.

asphyxia63
11-20-2009, 08:09 PM
briggsy- How are those bathroom breaks going? I noticed after about the first week they started to slow down, haha! Great job on the 3.7 and I hope week 2 goes well for you!

Melanie- That is too funny about the gingerbread cookies! Today I walked into a little gift shop and wandered over to the candle section. There was a gingerbread scented candled and I picked it up and smelled it and I tell ya, I have never smelled a more delicious candle EVER! I stood there for a while smelling it, put it down, smelled some others, then picked it back up again! I would probably be sitting at home smelling it right now if it wasn't $10! Luckily I have some yummy pumpkin spice candles to smell!
Which reminds me, I came up with a ricotta cheese dessert that's the basic part-skim ricotta, splenda, vanilla extract, then I add a little pumpkin pie spice to it... so yummy!

Fat Melanie
11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Haha I know what you mean, I have a little gingerbread candle from walmart also, and somehow smelling it seems to help a little? I dunno! The little gingerbread ones are only $1 at walmart.

That ricotta dessert sounds really good, I'm gonna have to try that! The SF fudgesicles are delicious but don't hit the spot like some filling ricotta would.

So you guys, it is my 6th day on Phase 1, managed to deal with a fast food emergency last night, and I still haven't seen anything on the scale which is really discouraging. Urgh. How is everyone else doing?

skinnywinnie
11-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi there, (Dont know if I am posting in the right thread...?)
I have been checking the forums for a few days now and it has been so helpful! You are all so supportive and kind to each other.

I am on Day 6 of P1, and I am so tired of eggs! I have expanded my choices for next week for a couple of egg-free breakfasts, like turkey roll ups.

I wonder if anyone might talk about how SBD affects how your body feels/reacts in the beginning? Just want to be sure I am normal!

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

Ruthxxx
11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Winnie, :welcome: to the Beach and you are posting in exactly the right spot.

Breakfast does not have to be eggs - lots of us eat leftovers - even chili!

This plan affects everyone differently. Some chicks get SBD flu from carb reduction, others have to pee a lot, some chicks are on a sort of high. :dizzy: It all settles down eventually.

Fat Melanie
11-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi SkinnyWinnie, a lot of people have what they call the "SBD Flu" around here, Ruthxxx was saying earlier. And it seems to be true, but not for all (another poster says she has not experienced it.)

I myself tend to feel a bit fatigued at first, and have bad headaches.

This does go away and you will feel great with a lot of energy after getting through Phase 1, in my experience.

And I hear ya, I am so sick of eggs myself! Could barely eat them this morning. I'm gonna have to try something different tomorrow.

Plus, how cool is that that you're on day 6 of phase 1, so am I! :)

skinnywinnie
11-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I just tried the mashed "potatoes" tonight. Interesting...not sure I was fooled, but it was a nice change of pace. (At least there are no eggs in it!)

Ruth, I haven't tried chili yet, but that sounds like a great idea for dinner tomorrow, and I will save some for breakfast on Monday.

Melanie, Yay on Day 6! Maybe we can help each other stay on track? I am sorry to hear about the headaches, no headaches for me. I never ate breakfast in the past so that is hard for me, but I just wait until later in the morning. If I wait too long, I get the shakes. I guess my body is mad at me for taking away all that yummy sugar. Feeling tired for sure. Peeing alot and a little constipated (TMI! Sorry) from all the dairy. I have always eaten lots of veggies, so I may have to add some extra fiber somewhere to get things, uh, moving, so to speak.

Thank you both for the very nice welcome, and letting me know I am in the right place. Looking forward to "talking" soon.

skinnywinnie
11-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I couldnt find jicama in the foods list. Does anyone know if it is allowed on P1? Looking for something to go with hummus...

briggsy13
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
asphyxia63- well I thought they had, but I was up several times last night. Maybe i just drank more yesterday? Not sure.

For those who are sick of eggs I've had the chocolate shake for breakfast and lunch. A nice change.

Fat Melanie
11-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Sure, we can definitely help eachother stay on track! Sounds like a great plan. Jicama is fine, it is really low on the GI.

Fat Melanie
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Yikes, actually I just read a different post, which I guess was archived, (I was on google) but it was from 3fatchicks.com because I saw Ruthxxx on it. Someone said it's not okay until Phase 2? I guess we need to call in the experts, lol.

CyndiM
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I've found lots of references to recipes with jicama being phase 1, including this:
http://www.southbeachdiet.com/updates.asp

skinnywinnie
11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Yay for jicama! Thanks Cyndi, that link was very helpful. I have the 1st book and have been going by the lists there, which seem to have been updated considerably.

Hows everybody feeling today? I woke up bright and early, cleaned the house and made a breakfast of egg beaters with shredded zucchini, diced canadian bacon, a little sprinkle of RF cheese and sliced tomatoes. Didnt even miss my old friend toast. I guess my carb cravings are quieting down! I am going to reward myself by taking my dog for a nice long walk.:running: (How cute are these little icons?)

Would love to hear what exercises people enjoy doing...always lookin for fun things to add!

Ruthxxx
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Jicama IS on the Phase I List in the FAQ. It was added way back when I posted the revised list.

Fat Melanie
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
That sounds sooo good. I had the standard eggs and turkey bacon, wish I hadn't!

Okay, I've gotta sit down and write out what I've had this week so I can post it to you guys. Something is not right. I have not lost a single pound. I've done phase 1 so many times I figured I would just do it without referring back to the book or any guidelines because I figured by now I have it down pat, but I fear somewhere I've screwed up for like I said, I have not seen even a single pound loss.

I'll be back later to post my menus and stuff if you guys can take a look at it and help me figure this out :)

CyndiM
11-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Duh, leave it to me to complicate things Ruth ;)

Melanie - I'm definitely curious about your meals & quantities. It certainly sounds like you are a lot more focused and on plan than I've ever seen you so maybe the menus will give a hint. FWIW, it certainly seems like you're doing great!

Winnie - Welcome! How is breakfast working out? This morning I had sauteed veggies (Lots, I love veggies), homemade refried beans, veggie crumbles & salsa. I find that having refried beans with breakfast really keeps me full and keeps my blood sugar very happy for the morning.

mistypaw
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi again guys! So I've been meaning to get back on the beach, but I kept putting it off because I knew I was going to screw up come the holidays. But my husband raises a good point. It's better to be on the beach and mess up on the holidays than off entirely and messing up the whole winter season.

So once again purging the kitchen of the forbiddens, and stocking up the ok stuff. I was wondering - where do falafel, hummus, and croucrous fall on the plan? I need to try some new recipes. The last lap around the beach I developed the vivid hate for eggs. But I'm not much of a cooker... time crunches.

I forgot her name but that girl who says every time she looses 30 she gets preg?! OMG I hope that can happen for me. Have been trying for 5 years now. Maybe if I loose more...

Ruthxxx
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Welcome back, Misty. Your DH makes a good point. :)
"falafel, hummus, and croucrous "? Well, hummus can be used on Phase I - check out the recipe section. Falafel is a bit of a problem as it's usually fried but would be Phase 11. Couscous is fine on Phase II as long as it's whole wheat. So is bulgar.

Kimmiblue
11-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Can I have flaxseed on Phase 1?

briggsy13
11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Ok week 2 is over. I'm still nervous to add things back, but will try and get to the grocery store to get some stuff this week. I'm down 1.5 lbs for the week. So that makes 5.2 lbs for 2 weeks. Not bad. I'm gonna take my measurements today too and see how that compares with where I started 2 weeks ago.

CyndiM
11-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Can I have flaxseed on Phase 1?

Yes, a 3 T serving counts as one of your fats for the day

asphyxia63
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Great job briggsy! I lost 5.3 lbs in the 2 weeks!
Today I begin my transition into phase II but will stick around here for a while because I'm sure I will have to have a few phase I days after Thanksgiving! All I did so far was add some berries to my greek yogurt with splenda. I think that's all I'll do for today. I've read the 1.5 boards but am still nervous about adding things in!

I've never tried a jicama, what is it?

briggsy13
11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
asphyxia- I'm nervous about adding stuff back too! I'm going to the store today to get some bread, apples and some whole wheat flour to bake with. I'll also be doing a few days of phase 1 again after thursday. I'm not going to go crazy but I am going to eat some extras.

Fat Melanie
11-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Menus:

Breakfast:
2-3 eggs scrambled with 2 slices turkey bacon, all cooked in 1 teaspoon of smart balance

snack: one serving of raw almonds

Lunch: salad with greens , one serving of oscar mayer turkey deli meat cut up, 1 oz RF cabot cheddar, chopped tomato, 2 tablespoons hidden valley ranch, cucumber

Snack: cup milk, celery and hummus (2 tablespoons)

Dinner: Grilled chicken seasoned with Mrs Dash and grilled
Green beans

Dessert: cup cinnamon cottage cheese

The menu is the same everyday, the only thing different is the dinners and I'm struggling to remember what I ate every night but it's all been OP! After the first day I bought SF fudgesicles and have been having them at dessert.

Other dinners:

Pizza Burgers: one burger made with ground flax, garlic, onion powder, an egg... topped with tomato sauce (homemade with a tiny bit of olive oil, garlic, onion, italian herbs, a pinch of truvia). Topped with skim mozarella.

Turkey, mashed cauliflower, green beans. Mashed cauliflower had RF cheddar, garlic, onion, bit of sour cream, smart balance.

Grilled chicken breast marinated in hidden valley ranch, topped with RF cheddar. Green beans and mustard greens for sides.

Salad from hardees, added olive oil to it because the chicken tasted sweet. 1 packet serving of ranch.

And that's basically it, I've been eating a lot of grilled chicken and veggie sides.

I'm thinking I may know the culprit though. I have been eyeballing oil serving sizes when cooking because the measuring spoons have been packed up, but I've got one from my landlord and I'm going to use this meticulously from now on. Stuff like nuts and milk I've measured out.

I guess this is what is going on? Still, even the eyeballing is something I've always been good at. I know what a teaspoon and tablespoon looks like. But apparently not as well as I thought??

I don't know what's going on. Not a lb loss on the scale. However, my stomach does appear flatter but this could be wishful thinking.

Fat Melanie
11-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Melanie - I'm definitely curious about your meals & quantities. It certainly sounds like you are a lot more focused and on plan than I've ever seen you so maybe the menus will give a hint. FWIW, it certainly seems like you're doing great!

Thank you for noticing that Cyndi, it is motivating for my efforts to noted! :) I think it finally sunk in how to change my dietary plan over the past year. It was hard without the internet, I didn't have the support of this forum to do it and I would make excuses, thinking I couldn't do it if I didn't have the internet to hold me accountable. But one day I stopped making excuses and just did it! Did a clean phase 1, lost weight, was doing a great phase 2! Kept at it for awhile! It had finally sunk in! Somewhere along the line this year I went off plan again when I let personal problems get the best of me. And gained weight since. I did a clean Phase 1 again after a few months of this backslide, and was doing really great again. Moved to this new house and was eating terribly everynight to 'celebrate'. Bad, bad decision. Now I am totally in need of bad food detox.

That's why I am a bit frustrated, I had done so well and finally made that lifestyle change and got the hang of it, when I went back to my old habits and now that I'm back on Phase 1, I'm seeing no results and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

You know what guys, I don't like to do it but I might need to count my calories as well, just to see what's going on.

Edit: I do know what I'm doing wrong, as far as the backslide, that is completely my fault, I made the choice to eat the bad foods! Just thought I'd add that because when I re-read it looked like I wasn't accepting responsibility. Oops!

charmed4blue
11-25-2009, 03:59 AM
My hubby and I have started and I've lost 15 pounds on week 4 now. My hubby seems to be having a harder time of it then me. He's not lost any yet..
I believe it's because he doesn't eat breakfast. But he's a creature of habit.

CyndiM
11-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey Melanie - Just noticed the menus :) A couple of things jump out at me, and you won't be surprised I bet.
- are you getting enough veggies? You list some in other dinners but are you really getting 4 1/2 cups a day? That will really help fill you up. Not just salad greens either. Those are okay but you need more bulky veggies - cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc
- looks like the sodium might be high. That will slow your Phase 1 water loss
- Of course I'd add some beans for fiber. Refried beans are a great breakfast side and will lower the fat in that meal

Overall though it looks like you've made a lot of progress from those early days ;) Just stick with it and you know it will work. Every time you lose and regain it's a little harder the next time so your body may just take a little while to catch-up.

As far as counting calories goes, well you know I do. I have a real issue with portion control and still need to count calories and even measure servings once in awhile to make sure I'm not overdoing it. If you've eaten out a lot you probably don't have a good sense of a portion size so a week of weighing and measuring might really help.

You are on the right track Mel - keep it up :carrot:

Fat Melanie
11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Finally I did seem to drop at least a lb on the scale. Whoo hoo.

Charmed4blue, congrats on the 15 lb loss!!!!! I do think your husband's problem is that he isn't eating breakfast. Breakfast is very essential! Don't let him skip it.

Cyndi, I think you're right!!! I am, until I get a sense of how much I should be consuming, going to measure out my veggies because that is probably it. And I haven't had any beans whatsoever, I have forgot all about those! I used to enjoy the roasted chickpeas. Time I made some of those. For thanksgiving one of my side dishes to avoid eating the extra stuff I'm making for DH and DS, I'm making a big pot of turkey-bacon seasoned lima beans. Portion control has always been a problem with me too, I always feel the need to get seconds, I always need the fullness feeling. I have to learn to become comfortable with the satisfied yet not overly full feeling.

Thanks for the tips! :).

blessedwithsarah
11-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone. Thanksgiving is over and I'm back on Phase 1. I started about a month ago -- did phase 1, lost 3 pds and then failed and gained it back. I'm back to it this morning. I went through my book and have a list of things to pick up today (my normal shopping day is tuesday but I don't want to wait till then). I'm keeping the book out and need to keep reading it each night to make sure I stay on track. Any help/suggestions would be welcome!

So far for today --- bf - yogurt ( i strained plan, ff yogurt overnight, created my own greek style. it was super think and yummy!).

BBL.

Melanie - do you think 15 pds is possible in a month? I'm entrigued! I love a challenge - 4 weeks till Christmas. I think I shoot for 10 pds. I'm going to change my siggie as well. Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your challenge.

RRB2
11-30-2009, 04:21 AM
I'm 7 lbs down as of today and TOM is here, so I'll drop another lb or 2 next week :)
Not great eating wise, but trying to do my best. Had broiled eggplant with tehina (sesame paste) for supper last night - great!
I've been reading back issues of Vegetarian Times mags (we are not vegs, but I everyone here loves veggies) and found lots of recip0es that can be adapted to SBD, recipes that use soy, chickpea flour, etc.

beachgal
11-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Blessedwith, did you think about why your first try at P1 didn't work? That's the best way to plan for success--think about why things didn't work out before and how you can keep them from stopping you in the future. If you want help with that, post on here and we'll give suggestions.

RRB2, that eggplant sounds good!

Jank52
11-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd like to jump into this forum if you don't mind :) Today is my first day of Phase 1 and so far so good. I am an admitted carboholic and that is what I am trying to get into check. I have been known to eat a whole package of pita bread that I would make into chips. Now it was whole wheat (or maybe just wheat) but when you eat the whole package in two days that can't be good!
You all have such good suggestions and I am learning so much!
I do have a question.....on phase 1 is sugar free International coffee allowed and how about sugar free Cool Whip for sugar free Jello? I haven't had any- I have the SF fudsicles but was wondering about the coffee and Cool Whip.
Thanks so much:hug:

murphmitch
11-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Jank, list the ingredients out on the coffee. Most of them have bad fats (hydrogenated oils) and some have corn syrup solids. Not healthy stuff. SB does say you can have the light cool whip in limited amts.
Whipped Topping, Light or Fat-Free - 2 TBS
But it's loaded with a lot of nasty stuff too.

COOL WHIP SUGAR-FREE:
Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP*, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATES, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM AND ASPARTAME* (SWEETENERS), BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE