100 lb. Club - I never would have tried that before losing weight!

rakel
11-04-2009, 09:25 PM
What are some healthy foods that you would have never tried before you started your weight loss journey, or foods that you never thought you'd like? Have your tastes changed - i.e. do you like things you didn't like before, and not like things you liked before?

I'm curious to see what other people's experiences are, and maybe get some ideas of what other healthy foods are out there that I'm overlooking.

paris81
11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Different kinds of squash (except zucchini, I always knew I liked that). Also, I started liking green beans more. I didn't dislike them before, but now I've been making more effort to find new ways to cook healthier foods, and I'm in love with green beans and wochester sauce!

Mango30
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Raw tomatos. Before I would only eat tomato sauces, now I grow my own I love them so much. Also, apples. They tasted so plain and flavorless to me, then I stopped eating sugar for a few months, tasted an apple and about had an orgasm.

chickybird
11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
gingersnaps--I hated them a few years ago and love them now. The cheap brand from the dollar store is also very low fat:)
oatmeal
hot decaf tea

DCHound
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Salmon.

kuhrisuh
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm trying really hard to make myself like vegetables... so far, I think I might be developing a taste for zucchini :]. I also found out that I like fresh spinach.. before I started eating healthy I'd only had greasy spinach pizza... ha!

Thighs Be Gone
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
edamame, hummus burgers, salmon patties, buckwheat pancakes, quinoa, 6 grain cereal, raw almonds....list is endless!

diabetic z
11-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Coleslaw. Before going on my diet, I absolutely detested coleslaw. After a month without any real food, I tried coleslaw again and it was delicious. Talk about a 180 degree change. Back in the day, I was a big fan of chips and could polish off an entire bag all by myself. Now, I prefer pumpkin seeds or nuts as my snack of choice. I don't miss chips at all.

duckyyellowfeet
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I have spaghetti squash cooking right now...something I never would have tried before.
Polenta. So good...we had a sun-dried tomato one the other day, with a tomato sauce.
and yogurt. I hated it before...and now, I can't stop eating it

heidiruth
11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I found out I like apricots now never liked them before but now they are pretty good.

Lyn2007
11-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Daikon radishes. Kabocha squash and Delicata squash, YUM. Leeks! I never ate a leek before I started this journey. Also pomegranates. I am always looking for new stuff to try.

Judy Lynn
11-04-2009, 11:05 PM
spaghetti squash
red peppers
roated vegetables of any kind

starfishkitty
11-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Zucchini, peppers.... turkey meat of any kind.... the list is endless. :) Pretty much all fruits and veggies!

HeyHeyGabby
11-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Roasted Veggies.. i used to think i only liked green beans from a can and brussle sprouts if they were cooked in butter with bacon bits... I'll never go back :)

nelie
11-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure that there was something I wouldn't have tried before because I had a pretty wide food palette.

The only thing I would say is that things I might've made myself were a bit different and for instance, when we first moved near an asian grocery store, we would go there every week and buy one veggie to try. Before, I would've eaten anything but I'm not sure I would've sought out various veggies to cook myself.

s rosa
11-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Pine nuts :)

Also, I'd always loved a lot of foods, but now that I'm eating healthier, I'm finding that they taste better to me the further away from processed crud I get. I love stuff like salmon, asparagus, zucchini, most veggies/fruits really, nuts, salad with a LITTLE TINY bit of dressing as opposed to a gallon, I could go on and on..

oh, and whole grain bread. I was a white bread QUEEN my whole life. I never EVER in a MILLION years thought I would like whole grain bread. Now, after two years of eating only whole grains, I don't mind it. I didn't realize how much my taste for it had changed until a couple weeks ago, I got white dinner rolls because they were out of whole grain. At first, I about had a mouth orgasm, but as I kept eating it, it just tasted more and more chewy and fake. It was quite possibly the weirdest experience of my life:lol: I think probably the only weirder thing that could happen is if I stopped liking cheese. But that'll never happen in this lifetime :lol:

Suezeeque
11-05-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm still eating mostly the same food but I've eliminated the 100-calorie packs and too many nuts. I also used to eat a lot of raisins and dried cranberries and frozen lean cuisine pizzas. I'm a volume eater rather than a sugar person. I would eat an entire watermelon and a tub of hummus with crackers. Also couscous, bulgur, with butter. One thing new was portabello burgers. I like them better than beef hamburgers.

lambchop
11-05-2009, 09:03 AM
peppers, raw mushrooms, raw broccoli - and YES! My tastes are changing - a lot....which blows my mind.

gumboot
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Pomegranates, Steel cut oats and spaghetti squash. Love them all now!

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
salad with a LITTLE TINY bit of dressing as opposed to a gallon

I can't stand too much dressing, it almost makes me want to gag. I don't think I ever had a problem with too much dressing, but I know that my tolerance for a lot of dressing is diminishing. I just like it to barely coat the veggies.

oh, and whole grain bread. I was a white bread QUEEN my whole life. I never EVER in a MILLION years thought I would like whole grain bread.

I've been eating more whole grains for about a year, and I have to say, I enjoy the hearty flavor. Once I bought some whole wheat bread (first ingredient listed!) and it was a little stale and dry... that was the worst. But normally it's fairly moist and delicious.

I think probably the only weirder thing that could happen is if I stopped liking cheese. But that'll never happen in this lifetime :lol:

Mmm, cheese. I love GOOD cheese, before my taste was not very discerning and I would eat a lot of cheap/processed cheeses in addition to the high flavor and distinctive cheese. I love looking through all of the different cheeses in the grocery store and trying new ones (in moderation of course).

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:05 AM
One thing new was portabello burgers. I like them better than beef hamburgers.

I've seen the portabello burgers a couple different places, I think I'm going to have to try that! I've also see about using them in place of bread for a tuna sandwich. Do you have a good recipe?

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Raw tomatos. Before I would only eat tomato sauces, now I grow my own I love them so much. Also, apples. They tasted so plain and flavorless to me, then I stopped eating sugar for a few months, tasted an apple and about had an orgasm.

I didn't like raw apples for a long time, I think mostly because I had a few bad ones in a row that were like, that almost mushy flavorless kind. It's hard to describe but it's almost like a powdery and mushy sensation combined though it's not technically either. I've found that I prefer to eat them sliced rather than just taking a bite in them, and I'm pretty picky on the type. BUT... a good apple is hard to beat - maybe only in-season ripe strawberries or peaches, or a very flavorful honeydew!

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Salmon.

Me too! and all kinds of fish really. I've even started eating sushi, though it's not really diet related.

salsa chip
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Butternut squash! I made it in a risotto the other day and LOVED it!

HeaterAS
11-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been wanting to try butternut squash in risotto.

Hmmm, I think for me I also had a pretty wide pallette. The one thing I thought I didn't like was sweet potatoes. The only way I'd ever seen them cooked was with marshmellows and a bunch of other gross stuff. But than I had one that was roasted? OMG I about died it was so amazing.

ubergirl
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
beets. I used to like them, but now I crave them-- roasted with rice wine vinegar salt and garlic.

Also cottage cheese. I eat a little cup with 4 oz almost every day. I prefer it to yogurt which I don't like that much.

nelie
11-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh I did think of something, kind of. Growing up, my mom loved spinach, from a can. I developed a gag reflex to the smell of cooked spinach. So I wouldn't eat anything with spinach in it nor would I even go near something with spinach in it or else have the gag reflex kick in.

Anyway, I don't know at what point but someone told me raw spinach was different so I tried raw spinach and actually liked it. I still stayed away from cooked spinach although with various experimentation (lightly cooked spinach, only small amounts of cooked spinach, etc), I was able to eat cooked spinach and actually like it. So much so that Saag became one of my favorite things to eat. (I have a healthy Saag recipe because restaurant Saag definitely isn't healthy)

Spinach smoothies are also very yum too :)

JulieJ08
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM
One thing new was portabello burgers. I like them better than beef hamburgers.

My favorite, which my sister makes me whenever she's grilling burgers for everyone else (I'm vegetarian) is a portobello burger with grilled pineapple, guacamole and salsa. I bring a whole grain bun because nobody else appreciates those like I do, and I actually can't stand white bread/buns anymore. Mmmmmmm.

JulieJ08
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
oh, and whole grain bread. I was a white bread QUEEN my whole life. I never EVER in a MILLION years thought I would like whole grain bread. Now, after two years of eating only whole grains, I don't mind it. I didn't realize how much my taste for it had changed until a couple weeks ago, I got white dinner rolls because they were out of whole grain. At first, I about had a mouth orgasm, but as I kept eating it, it just tasted more and more chewy and fake. It was quite possibly the weirdest experience of my life:lol: I think probably the only weirder thing that could happen is if I stopped liking cheese. But that'll never happen in this lifetime :lol:

It's funny, I never did care for white sandwich bread. But I did overdo those soft white dinner rolls. It was actually really weird the day I had one and I realized, "Yuck! What the heck was I thinking? This tastes like nothing and it's gross." The only white stuff I still like is sourdough and Italian bread, which I have sometimes. I tend to eat white flour tortillas sometimes too, but that's more because whole grain ones that are soft are hard to find - when I do find those, I prefer them.

nelie
11-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I never liked white sandwich bread either, sourdough was my bread of choice for sandwiches. I remember in college, I hate turkey with swiss cheese and mustard on sourdough every day. I was so happy that we had a sandwich bar (although it was really the swiss cheese and sourdough that I liked, I remember adding the turkey because it was flavorless and didn't get in the way of the swiss cheese and mustard).

I also really liked (really really liked) french bread. Oh me and my french bread have a sordid past. Although even when I had no ideas of losing weight and was living in my fatness, I would still buy whole grain bread and what not. I remember living near an artisan bakery store and my goal was to try every bread they had and I loved their whole grains. One reason I credit going from 330 to 360 in about 3 months after college.

RN BSN 2009
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
fruits and vegetables.. for sure

asparagus
apricots
tomatoes
cucumbers
apples
whole grains
couscous

Suezeeque
11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I've seen the portabello burgers a couple different places, I think I'm going to have to try that! I've also see about using them in place of bread for a tuna sandwich. Do you have a good recipe?

I've never thought of that. I just heat them in the microwave and put them on a deli flat bread with mayo, onion and tomato and eat it like a regular hamburger. The burgers have a meaty flavor, if you ever eaten portabello mushrooms.

kaplods
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I've always been a bit of a food adventurer, saying I'd rather have a bad food experience than a boring one. I absolutely cannot tolerate monotony.

The problem with the adventure seeking in the past (and to some degree a pitfall I stll face) is that I've not always been conscious of the healthfulness of my adventures. I visit ethnic groceries a lot more than ethnic restaurants now - and I read the nutrition labels instead of grabbing whatever looks good (which was nearly everthing).

I did make a friend of a former mortal enemy - brussels sprouts. Hated those litte buggers with a passion. Finally tried them again roasted (because of reading the praises of them here on 3FC), and have had them at least once (usually 2 or 3) times a month since then.

Eggplant is another veggie that I disliked and is now my favorite. Not to much a transformation, though as I still dislike the large, european, pear-shaped eggplants. The small egg and zucchini shaped asian eggplants, are amazing though - not a trace of the european eggplant's bitterness. And they come in so many colors, they're very pretty, and the skin is so thin, you don't have to peel them.

FitGirlyGirl
11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh my goodness. My tastes have changed sooo much. I am now a veggie fiend. I used to fix veggies with dinner maybe 2-3 times a week, I'd have some at lunch if I got a burger or something with tomato and such, but that was it. I did like a lot of veggies - just not enough to bother. Now I eat veggies with every single meal. I have discovered that I even love most of the ones I used to hate. The only one I still haven't liked so far is beets - such a shame too, they are my favorite color. I even like brussel sprouts and zucchini is now my favorite even though I used to hate both. I could not stand bell peppers before and I love them now - mmmm, bell peppers with quino and ground turkey stuffing, sooooo good! I have also added new fruits. I used to hate apples and pears. I adore them now. I used to cover my broccoli with that nasty cheese sauce that's usually not even made of real cheese and now I can't stand the thought of it much less the taste. I tried a bit of hubby's recently and almost vomited. Now I just put a bit of garlic or dill on it or maybe even a spoon of crushed tomato. I eat soy beans now and quino, polenta, ground turkey, ground chicken, steel cut oats, beans of all sorts, brown rice, red rice, wild rice. I always hate white bread so that's not new, I eat whole grain, dark rye, pumpernickel, and sometimes sourdough. I drink V8 now. I still hate the stuff cold, so I warm it and then I love it. I have a glass every morning with my breakfast. I used to eat so much crap and now I will sometimes take a tiny nibble of hubby's just to see what I think and most of it is so gross to me. Oreos - yuck, like eating sweetened cardboard.

dragonwoman64
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I never thought spinach would be my fav veggie. I love it sauteed with garlic, or raw. Love, love, love spinach pizza.

Love eggplant in ratatouille.

I drink V8 every day.

kaplods
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Speaking of spinach, a couple weeks ago, I started having a craving for that spinach dip with spinach, dry veggie soup mix, sour cream, mayo, green onion and water chestnuts (the one that's usually served in a bread bowl).

I bought a store version to use as a veggie dip, and was really disappointed - it was mostly mayonaise and hardly any spinace - so I got the ingredients and made my own. I replaced the sour cream with light sour cream and the mayonaise with Hellman's canola mayo (50 calories a tbs instead of 100).

I couldn't find a 10 oz box of frozen spinach, so I bought a 28 ounce bag, and weighed out 10 ounces (and thawed and squeezed per the recipe directions)

I follwed the recipe, and it still looked heavy on the mayo/sour cream and skimpy on the spinach (skimpier than I remembered anyway). So I added more spinache (I ended up using about twice the spinach that the original recipe called for).

I think it turned out much tastier (as well as healthier) than the original recipe it (though next time, I'll double the water chestnuts and the green onion too).

The biggest problem is that it made a HUGE bowl of it, so I'm going to learn to cut the recipe down, so I can make no more than 1 cup of dip at a time.

It would be easy to cut the recipe, as long as I use the frozen bag of spinache. There's no easy way to use only a portion of the boxed frozen spinach

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Speaking of spinach, a couple weeks ago, I started having a craving for that spinach dip with spinach, dry veggie soup mix, sour cream, mayo, green onion and water chestnuts (the one that's usually served in a bread bowl).

I bought a store version to use as a veggie dip, and was really disappointed - it was mostly mayonaise and hardly any spinace - so I got the ingredients and made my own. I replaced the sour cream with light sour cream and the mayonaise with Hellman's canola mayo (50 calories a tbs instead of 100).

I couldn't find a 10 oz box of frozen spinach, so I bought a 28 ounce bag, and weighed out 10 ounces (and thawed and squeezed per the recipe directions)

I follwed the recipe, and it still looked heavy on the mayo/sour cream and skimpy on the spinach (skimpier than I remembered anyway). So I added more spinache (I ended up using about twice the spinach that the original recipe called for).

I think it turned out much tastier (as well as healthier) than the original recipe it (though next time, I'll double the water chestnuts and the green onion too).

The biggest problem is that it made a HUGE bowl of it, so I'm going to learn to cut the recipe down, so I can make no more than 1 cup of dip at a time.

It would be easy to cut the recipe, as long as I use the frozen bag of spinache. There's no easy way to use only a portion of the boxed frozen spinach

Such a good idea -- I love that dip too and usually try to use low cal versions of mayo and sour cream, but you're right, the store bought is too mayo-y. Then again, so is pretty much everything like that including tuna salad, chicken salad, potato salad, etc. Best to make that stuff on your own! But yeah I don't usually make it except if I'm going to a party, and then I end up having a ton left over... and make spinach dip and ham sandwiches for awhile :P

rakel
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Eggplant is another veggie that I disliked and is now my favorite. Not to much a transformation, though as I still dislike the large, european, pear-shaped eggplants. The small egg and zucchini shaped asian eggplants, are amazing though - not a trace of the european eggplant's bitterness. And they come in so many colors, they're very pretty, and the skin is so thin, you don't have to peel them.

I like eggplant parm more than chicken parm! I've never tried cooking my own eggplant, I just order it in Italian restaurants, which is probably not that healthy with all of the pasta and cheese. Every time I go to the grocery store I see the eggplants and think, oh I should make something with one but I'm afraid. I don't even know why, I think I heard somewhere that it's hard to cook them, or find a ripe one. How do I know they are ripe? aahhhh! :dizzy:

shcirerf
11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
I love these food threads.

I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's on a very large combination farm/ranch. We had our own beef, chicken, pork and large gardens. Canned, froze the whole deal.

We ate a big variety of foods. Along the way, I've also tried some food, not all healthy mind you but different.

Rattlesnake, raccoon, elk, bear, moose, deer, rocky mountain oysters, pheasant, grouse, goose, duck, to mention a few.

As I've worked on eating better, I've tried other stuff, hearts of palm, yum, water chestnuts, squash, baked, in soup, blended, pickled, yes! Pickled, I dill pickled a bunch of yellow squash, turned out great, waiting for the dilly garlic green beans to cure.

I love salmon, along with trout, bass, and my fave fish is mahi mahi, expensive, but the best.

I adore raw spinach, I will grill anything, fruit, meat, veggies, it doesn't matter.

I havn't tried eggplant, but it's on my list. Cabbage is another fave in winter soups and stews, it's hearty!

The one thing I find odd, is the folks who only want to eat 3 or 4 things. There is so much great food out there, explore! I never in a million years thought I'd try "hearts of palm" but they are yummy!

girlonfire
11-06-2009, 07:08 AM
lentils and endive hearts. They are so good, especially in the cold winter months because they are warm, filling, AND healthy.