PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #1  

Default how do you know how many calories you need when you have pcos?

Ok, I have books about figuring out the caloric intake to lose weight, but since I have insulin resistance/ pcos this math and science doesn't seem to apply to me. I gained 35 pounds in six months while eating 1200 calories, going to Jazzercise and breastfeeding my daughter. I should be stick person. I have just started a VERY low calorie diet and have been losing a pound a day (yes, I know my junior high health teacher would not approve) but I NEED some success before I cut off the circulation to my head with my tight pants. I've been reading through old threads looking for caloric guidelines with IR, but haven't found anything. What do you all do? I'm 5'4" 213 pounds, age 35 and moderately active (and no longer breastfeeding). Anything is appreciated.

Best Wishes!!
melissahasabigolbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

In my experience, and this is just MY experience, weight loss with PCOS doesn't always follow the "calories in, calories out" thing so cleanly. Or, to be more specific on my actual philosophy, people with PCOS and IR are subject to the "calories out" part of that equation being VERY sensitive to the kinds of foods they eat.

There are a whole lot of foods that, if I eat them, no matter how well they fit into my calorie budget, I will gain weight. Period. I will maintain perfectly on 1500-1600 calories of lean protein, whole grains, no sugar added dairy, fruits and veggies. I will gain on 1000 calories of said healthy diet with an additional 400 calories of junk, even though that 1400 calories is less than my maintenance level, if that junk food contains refined carbohydrates, particularly sugar, or alcohol.

So I'd look less at how much you're eating (anything less than 1200 is likely to screw up your metabolism, so while you're losing weight now, you'll most likely regain it when you start eating above 1200 calories again, and your metabolism will take a LOOOONG time to recover...), but WHAT you're eating. Your problematic foods might be different than mine (some people with PCOS can lose with eating refined flours and sugars, and some people don't lose unless they cut out most grains, even the whole ones), but if you gave us a sample day or two of food, it might make it easier to give you advice.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree with mandalinn. I have PCOS & IR and have been trying to follow a specific calorie range however it never worked out for me until I cut out most of the carbs I used to eat. I don't follow a strict protein diet, I still enjoy fruits and veggies and occasionally whole grain bread and rice however I shouldn't expect a big loss at the end of the week if I indulge in carbs.
You could visit a fitness center and get a test for your RBM (resting metabolic rate), at my current height and weight my RBM is ~1,700 cals and I'm supposed to eat/burn at least 500 less however I don't stick to that. what I do is I try to eat when I am hungry and just simply avoid bread, rice, cereals period. With the combination of activity level and medication I am taking it seems to be working so far.
You need to be able to find what works for you best by experimenting. Good luck
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #4  

That's sound advice. I've been following a low carb diet. I usually eat one slice of Ezekial bread with natural PB, a little skim milk in my coffee for breakfast. I usually try to eat the lean protein and vegtable leftover from the night before's dinner (usually a smaller portion) or a couple of eggs with salsa verde, then ditto for dinner. Almonds for a snack. That's when I don't fall off the wagon and eat frosted mini wheats straight from the box. I've been using Citrecel Fiber Laxative drink for a few days, no ill effects and helps me stay on my diet.

So defineately I appreciate the low carb wisdom. So within reason, do you eat whatever quantities of low carb foods you desire or do you stay in a calorie range with a low carb diet? Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  

Sorry JigglyBits, I missed the last paragraph of your post somehow. That makes perfect sense.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I also agree with Mandalinn. I have a much easier time maintaining if I avoid certain foods. And I feel better, too.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote