Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default Pre and post workout meals - when wanting to lose weight?

So, I have been hitting the gym for a while now, and really dont know what to eat as before training. What I do is mainly 50mins cardio, either on the treadmill or elliptical, plus around 30min of weight training.

I really dont want to look like those bodybuilders, I just weight train to boots my metabolism as we know muscle does that.. but what should I still eat before and after working out? inputs will be much appreciated!

Last edited by suzan; 11-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I don't know about everyone else...but I don't eat right before I work out. I do a similiar work out to what you described and I eat something really lite around an hour or hour and a half before that. If I eat right before or anything too heavy, I am crampy and feel heavy rather than energetic.

I usually eat apple slices or string cheese or yogurt.

Course, I'm no body builder myself!

Good luck!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #3  

Eat some light carb within 1 hour before exercise and eat protein (to repair the tiny muscle tears that occur during exercise) within an hour after.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I really dont want to look like those bodybuilders, I just weight train to boots my metabolism as we know muscle does that.. but what should I still eat before and after working out? inputs will be much appreciated!
Don't worry, the average woman rarely adds bulk by lifting weights, even heavy. We just don't have the right hormones. Check out the "Weight and Resistance Training" for more info.

I usually eat a snack an hour to hour and a half before I exercise (though if I go first thing in the morning, I rarely eat anything). Afterwards I eat a snack (or if I go after work, a meal) with a carb/protein mix.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I usually have a piece of fruit 30 mins or so before I workout... and then I have lunch about an hour after. I drink lots of water before, during, and after. :]
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I work out first thing in the morning so I just drink some water. After, I drink a protein shake (made from 1 cup whole milk, 1 scoop protein, and 1/2 cup of frozen berries). Then I have breakfast about 1/2 hour after.

Anyway, I don't think there is really any magic to what to eat before and after. Only caveat is probably not a great idea to eat a huge meal right before you workout.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It all depends on what time you exercise. I exercise first thing in the morning so I just have water before I go. When I'm done I'll either eat nuts, a health bar, or a banana and then eat breakfast an hour or 2 later (I'm a morning person).
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I work out at 7:30 but am up at 5:30 so usually have coffee and a breakfast of Fibre 1, yogurt and fruit before I go. Works for me and I do pretty much what you do in my 90 minute session.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #9  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I usually eat a piece of fruit and either a boiled egg or some cheese about an hour before I lift. Afterwards I just have dinner normally. (I lift after work, obviously.)

I tend to be very hungry the day after a workout. I try to have extra fruit on hand and an extra boiled egg or two around on those days.

As for those bodybuilders, they eat a very careful diet including big calorie surpluses during the bulking phase (not to mention unmentionable supplementation). You aren't going to turn into Ahnold while running a calorie deficit. Here's a very helpful page that addresses some of those common myths about weight training: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

Last edited by carter; 11-05-2009 at 12:31 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote