100 lb. Club - HUGE downside to losing weight..

View Full Version : HUGE downside to losing weight..

cfmama
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm ALWAYS FREAKING COLD!!!!! After almost 160 lbs in 13 months I am cold ALL THE TIME. And it was nice in the summer... but now that it's getting cold I am resorting to baths every single night before bed just to warm up. I insist that hubby goes to bed the exact same time I do so he can spoon me. I wear sweaters, socks and SHOES in the house all the time (and I hate socks and shoes) and today? I'm wearing gloves. At it's 19 degree's in here.

Next winter is gunna suck SO BADLY!!!

mandalinn82
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah. I pretty much spend my life freezing. I try to reassure myself, though, that at least when I'm COLD, I can warm up (socks! space heaters! Electric blanket mattress pads!). It was a LOT harder to cool down all 300 lbs of myself in the heat of summer (not like running around naked was an option, and even naked, I was still sweaty).

You adjust and learn to bring sweaters wherever you go.

MindiV
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Same here...and what stinks for me is all the time I have to spend outdoors at night these days taking pictures at football games. This past Friday it was only in the 40s and I was shivering!

rockinrobin
11-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh yes. Agreed. It's downright painful sometimes. The summers, yeah, they're great accept when you get into air conditioning. Not sure why I bothered building up my arms, as I have to cover them all the time. I always have to leave the house with a sweater. I can't go into a store without it. I've built up an extensive collection of them, since I always need one. I wear gloves and a hat as soon as the temps hit the 50's.

It's definitely one of the downsides, well actually the only one. But it's worth it. Better then having all the fat back on that kept me so nice and toasty. Oh and down right red faced and sweaty all the time.

HotWings
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I have noticed a change since last year at this time, too. I am still quite overweight, but I have noticed that when I get cold this year, I seem to warm up faster than before. For example, last year.. when my body ended up getting too cold and I was really feeling cold.. it would take me forever to warm up! I would need to sit under blankets until I was finally warm again. This year I have noticed I am getting cold more often, but it is not taking me as long to warm up, either. I guess my "natural insulation" :lol: is getting more normal by the day. I am thankful, but I don't want to be cold all the time! The flip side of that is that summers will be much more enjoyable. :yes:

midwife
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm cold all the time too. I've had people tease me about setting up a terrarium....

annie175
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Burr me too! All the time, even when it is hot outside and everyone else is too hot, I am just right. Weird.

nelie
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Yup. My DH and I do snuggle every night. For warmth but also just to talk. I hate socks too but they are a necessity. Also drinking warm tea helps.

junebug41
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Warm liquids help me deal with it a lot. Our house has hardwood and tile throughout the main level. It's beautiful, but I now own more house slippers than I ever thought I would have a need for!

evilwomaniamshe
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Yup, I too am fricken freezing 24/7, I seriously cannot wait for my first hot flash, so I can finally warm up! But unfortunately that's many years out yet. Brrrr... oh I meant Grrrrrr... I live in zip up sweatshirts.

Do any of you get colder right after you eat? That is when it seem worse for me anyways after meals.

junebug41
11-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Yup, I too am fricken freezing 24/7, I seriously cannot wait for my first hot flash, so I can finally warm up! But unfortunately that's many years out yet. Brrrr... oh I meant Grrrrrr... I live in zip up sweatshirts.

Do any of you get colder right after you eat? That is when it seem worse for me anyways after meals.

If a room is on the cooler side, I have to bundle up or else I am just too cold to be able to eat. This is a challenge especially when I have my daily salad and it's winter. :p

ladyrider72472
11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Count me in.... after losing 75+ pounds, I am much colder than I used to be. I normally ride my motorcycle to work until late November-December.... but I quit weeks ago b/c I cannot bare the coldness! This is the ONLY time I miss the 75 pound insulation I had.

Mango30
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I miss that always cold feeling...gotta lose this chub so I can get it back! I hate being hot...hence my Alaskan residence.

beerab
11-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I definitely notice I am much colder than before! :(

cfmama
11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
yep tile and hardwood throughout the entire upper half of my house too... thank goodness for heated ceramic tile floors!

VernDern
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Wohooo! Something to look forward too! =)~ I HATE being hot!

justaloozer
11-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Wohooo! Something to look forward too! =)~ I HATE being hot!

Same here!

Glory87
11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Got a blanket on my lap at work as I type!

JulieJ08
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I always needs a sweater in restaurants, and I'll sit outside in the heat when others say it's too hot. I carry a cardigan, socks and scarf with me even in So. Cal. summer ;)

But .. this has always been true, fat or not.

catherinef
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Oh, yes. Always, always cold. It beats having the fat insulation, but I live in a drafty old house, and after a lifetime of running around barefoot, I'm often wearing two pairs of wool socks.

starfishkitty
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
LOL Agreed!

DCHound
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes I am always freezing! And it's only going to get worse LOL! Can't wait.

nelie
11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Sad part is I weighed the same last winter but it already feels worse so far this year and our temps haven't even gone below 40 yet. I am dreading this winter.

Oh and I think I may have read about why those who lose weight are cold and also why they have to eat less than those who have never been obese. I was reading this article about brown fat vs white fat. Apparently we are born with brown fat and we never really gain it (at least that is what it sounded like). So we can only lose brown fat. Well brown fat burns calories (more than white fat) and is also used to keep us warm. Apparently, there have been studies doing MRIs on various people and the amount of brown fat they contain. Well obese people have less brown fat than those of a normal weight. So it seems like brown fat is a good thing to have but if you become obese, then your body may shed the brown fat because it has white fat. Well if you lose the white fat and can never gain the brown fat, then it would make sense that you would be colder than if you never gained weight as well as having an overall lower metabolism than if you had never gained weight.

I don't know if that makes sense or if I'm even summarizing very well.

JustBeckyV
11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Hmm -- I havent had that problem.

foxxy511
11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Constantly bundled up here too. At work, I always wear my fleece which is bright blue -- not exactly part of the black and white dress code, haha. Thankfully, I have a nice boss and she doesn't mind. For awhile, I found that I would get really cold after eating. Finally figured out that my two big glasses of cold water were the cause. Now I drink warm water. Sounds icky, but I actually kind of like it that way!

(Btw, I'm wearing fleece pajamas, a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up, fleece socks, and a blanket right now, haha)

Thighs Be Gone
11-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Saturday morning I went to Tennis class @ 7 am--it was 42 degrees. By the time I got back home I was sooo cold it took me probably an hour to warm myself by the fire. Saturday afternoon I went to Eddie Bauer and bought a down jacket and matching gloves! Good for E Bauer--not so great for me!

Elladorine
11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think I'd lost enough to feel a difference while I was still in the midwest. And now that I'm in the desert, well, I'm still not quite used to the heat, lol. The winters are especially mild (at least compared to Wisconsin) so I doubt it'll effect me much. If anything, maybe I can be more adapted to the heat by next summer?

Institches21
11-03-2009, 12:28 AM
As far as the hot flashes go, I think mine have started, but...only my face gets flush, :o the rest of me is still freezing cold, my hands and feet are like ice, on the nights my DH works, I need to go to bed with his sweatshirt on, and lots of layers, and when I first get in bed w/o DH I need to put my face under the covers until my nose warms up, can't sleep if my feet or nose are too cold. I look forward to my 30-60mins of exercise a day, that's when I'm so toasty warm. I never go to a store or resturant without an extra warm sweater, under my coat, might need to wear gloves and a hat soon.

I do agree with rockinrobin, would not trade always being cold, to go back to unhealthy every again!! it such a small inconvienence, I can always but on a few extra layers of clothes. ;)

raebeaR
11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I quite look forward to being cold again. I hate always being the red-faced, hot one in the crowd. My friends have learned to bring extra layers of clothing when they come visit... the house is almost always too cold for them.

nelie... I had read about the brown fat/white fat thing as well. Couldn't really remember the particulars, but Wiki offers a good explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue

Interesting stuff.

Suezeeque
11-03-2009, 02:20 AM
I was just thinking about this last week. When I lost 130lbs years ago two things bothered me: being cold all the time and my tailbone hurting when I sat in a hard chair for very long. I lived then in CA but now I'm in Maine where it gets really cold. My feet freeze even now. I'm going to have to get a fur hat, insulated gloves, and a down jacket. Meanwhile I guess I should enjoy my warm body while I can.

losermom
11-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Count me in on the freezing train too! It used to be that I was pulling off layers of clothes because I was too warm. Summer heat didn't really bother me though. Maybe because my body temp was similar to the outside heat? But now I am freezing. I am already wearing more layers (I started in September) than I wore 2 winters ago. I wore layers all summer long at work in the AC. This summer was way too cool for me--I kept hoping for some 95+ with humidity! We spent 2 weeks in DC this summer and it wasn't hot enough for me. I am seriously concerned about this winter. I am on the lookout for a long down parka--think Nanook of the North! I did see some at Eddie Bauer last week but they were over my price range.

MugCanDoIt
11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I know!!! I was always the one who was burning up all the time, always hot. Now Ive been freezing! I cant believe it!

nelie
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Last night was crazy. I had 4 blankets on (my husband had 2) as well as my pajamas. My husband set out a 5th blanket for me just in case I needed it.

Of course the hard thing is getting out of bed because I am so warm and comfy and I don't want to get up but I got out quickly and put more clothes on.

ICUwishing
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Haven't read through all the way yet, and maybe someone else posted for Evilwoman ... but if you get cold after you eat ... GET THAT THYROID TESTED!!! and by a doctor that recognizes and understands Subclinical Hypothyroidism. This is a classic symptom of it, and fixing a sluggish thyroid can feel like a miracle. :)

evilwomaniamshe
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey ICU,
I get my thyroid checked every year and its always normal.
FYi, I have Raynauds.

kaplods
11-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I've always had a slightly low body temperature, but in the last few years it's been dropping even further. It averages only about 97.2 degrees. I also have low thyroid (but still a bit above the point that my doctor will consider medicating).

For the past several years, I've been having more and more difficulty maintaining a comfortable temperature and it's definitely been increasingly at the "too cold" end. It did start before the weight loss (and about the time the thyroid levels started dropping).

I have a particular problem with my breasts (this is really weird and embarassing). They'll hurt so bad that I finally resorted to using pocket handwarmers in my bra. I go to the hunting/fishing aisle in Walmart and buy them by the dozens (in long strips of attached packages).

They can get too hot, so I wrap them in a sock and put one in each bra cup. It feels foolish. I developed eary so never really had the experience of stuffing socks in my bra (except in Halloween costumes).

Hubby thinks it's hilarious, and teases me that one of these days someone is going to notice "steam" coming from my chest.

cfmama
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Kaplods you CRACK ME UP! That is hilarious!!!!!!

Judy Lynn
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I look forward to not being the hot one in the office. Right now I have two fans going on me. I always feel like the odd man out.

kaplods
11-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Kaplods you CRACK ME UP! That is hilarious!!!!!!

It is funny, but it works so well, I really did consider what it would take to market a heated bra - or bra inserts. Apparently the japanese beat me to it (a bra with microwaveable gel inserts that you heat and insert into the bra cups).

junebug41
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I've always had a slightly low body temperature, but in the last few years it's been dropping even further. It averages only about 97.2 degrees. I also have low thyroid (but still a bit above the point that my doctor will consider medicating).

Did you know that the average woman's BBT sits between 97.0 and 97.7 when she isn't pregnant or in her luteal phase?

I've been charting mine (so fascinating!) and I've been around 97.2. It is interesting how much our BBT can tell about someone, though!

kaplods
11-04-2009, 01:04 AM
My average temp doesn't disturb me as much as my lows, or the fact that I almost never get a fever (at least one that a medical professional will recognize).

On several occoasions, I've had a severe sinus infection, but was unable to convince doctors of that until it had worsened into bronchitis or even pneumonia. I'd go in to the doctor's office or the walk-in clinic and TELL them I had an infections, and they'd tell me no I didn't, because I didn't have a fever - and I'd tell them that anything over 98 degrees WAS my fever (though I will sometimes also have a temperature DROP when I'm sick - trying to convince a doctor that 96.4 IS a problem, isn't any easier).

The bout with pneumonia before the last one - my doctor lectured me on not coming in for treatment when I noticed a fever - and I told him I had, but the walk-in doctor wouldn't believe me that I HAD a fever, because my temp wasn't exceeding 98.2. By the time it reached 99, I was extremely ill (It doesn't help that my doctor can never see patients last-minute, so I'm forced to see a random doctor at the walk-in). Their new digital patient histories are a help though, because I can now prove to the walk-in doctors that I just don't get typical fevers when ill - so lack of a fever does not mean lack of an infection in my case.

It just dawned on me when my temperature first dropped below what a doctor considered normal. The lowest I remember it ever being was 95.something - I was in grade school, about 10 or 11 (Hmm, just realized age 9 or 10 is when I had my first period - I wonder if there was a puberty connection). It was actually the first time my temperature had ever been measured below 98.0 - and it seems to me that it was the "start" of my temperature dropping below normal, and I'm not sure it ever returned to what my "old normal" had been (again, I wonder if puberty had something to do with it). My pediatritian at the time, suspected a virus - and he told us that some viruses can lower body temperature as well as cause a fever. In hind-sight though, the timing does seem interesting.

TJFitnessDiva
11-04-2009, 05:59 AM
My DH teases me that I shiver just like our chihuahua....I'm always cold now and in the summer it gets around 100 and high humidity, yet I always carried a sweater with me esp when I go to the grocery store :lol:

The winter I bundle up and look like the Michelin man ;)

MathGirl87
11-08-2009, 01:00 AM
HA! When I saw 19 degrees I was like...no wonder you're cold!

DUH..Americans haven't caught up with the times and switched to the more reasonable metric system...silly us :P

yoyoma
11-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Yep, me too! I was sort of expecting threads like this to start popping up now that it's autumn for many 3FCers, lol.

I have a pair of electric socks that I got years ago as a present. They run on batteries and keep my feet toasty warm (mmmmm). Unfortunately, I also need an electric nose warmer, lol!

TamiL
11-08-2009, 06:09 AM
I too am sooo cold already that I don't know how I am gonna make it through winter. I drive a school bus with a "no idle" policy until the outside temp drops below freezing. Even then i can only "idle" empty for 15 minutes until temps drop to sub zero. Sounds ok but I have a 35 minute layover in the morning between runs. When I shut the bus off, all the heat drains out in a matter of a minute or so. Guess I'll be bring a comforter to wrap up in this year. Sometimes I miss my built in insulation, but then again.....I don't miss the clothes I wore then.

JulieJ08
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
It's funny, I have an easier time of it in the winter than the summer. It seems like the hotter it is outside, the lower they turn the air conditioner. As if because it's 105 outside, that means I need to be 50 degrees inside.

watchhershrink
11-08-2009, 11:21 AM
the winter right after i lost 100 pounds i was so cold it was painful. even as ive gained some of it back, im still freezing all of the time.

losingmyfatpants
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I've lost weight before and felt the same thing. I find it particularly hard when I'm drinking all that water. In the winter time, I prefer my water almost tepid.

losermom
11-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I always drink my water room temperature regardless of the weather! Cold water hurts my teeth.

megwini
12-03-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm not in the 100-club but I was searching cold hands and came across this thread, so I thought I'd respond....
I'M FREEZING! Like... moreso than anyone else around me. I live in Hawaii, so I'm usually fine when outside, but any time I'm inside with the AC my hands turn to ice. My roommate is always hot so she considers it her right to turn the AC down to where she likes it (74) while I freeze my butt off every day. I'll put on three different layers and my hands are still cold!
I've contemplated wearing gloves, but I think people would give me odd looks. I'm SERIOUSLY cold; my mom was getting on my case and trying to force-feed me red meat this summer because I was walking outside with a coat on. :lol:

HVEECK
12-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I FREEZE ALL THE TIME!!! and its a very odd feeling because the rest of my whole life I have been a hot and sweaty person. LOL
now its really becoming an issue because my hubby and I fight over the temp in the house constantly!! its better than being hot and sweaty just sitting there in 60 degree temps though ;)

CJZee
12-03-2009, 07:23 AM
What an interesting thread! I found a very recent study about brown fat (the kind that helps us be thin). One interesting thing is that it says that brown fat activity increases in the cold ... so ... maybe ... as obese individuals lose weight, they also lose brown fat so they can't stay warm as they slim down? I have no idea, but it is interesting. From the study:The activity of these (brown fat) depots is rapidly increased by exposure to cold temperatures and blunted in obese individuals. Here is the link to the whole study (http://jmcb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/mjp035v1#MJP035C10).

kelly315
12-03-2009, 08:03 AM
So it's not just me! I have the exact same problem, and I feel terrible for wanting to be inactive and take baths all the time. I've found that bundling up really really well- including using underarmor or spandex under my jeans, make a huge difference- I can almost feel normal temperature!

cathydoe
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I haven't lost much weight yet, but I am always cold! My hubbies family calls me Kenny from SouthPark LOL Never had my boobies chilly...oh my dh would have a hay day with that one!! Sometimes I even wear a hat in the house in the evening! In the winter HOT showers feel soooooo goooood--but so bad for the skin!! I also have my thyroid checked each year... I did read something about the lack of exercise can make u colder than other folks. Glad 2 know I am not the only one... cuz it is a trademark here with me around my family and friends. Can I have your names and phone numbers so I can have them call you so they know I am not as crazy as they think I am...LOL j/k I am crazy and I love it!

Happy Warmth to Everyone!!

Suezeeque
12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
This article refers to GB patients but is applicable to anyone who loses a lot of weight. It says that it will take 1.5-2 years for your body to go back to normal once your weight is stabilized. http://ezinearticles.com/?Im-Freezing!-Why-Gastric-Bypass-Causes-Patients-to-be-Cold&id=34757

Beverlyjoy
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
The price we pay for losing so much weight. ;)

I think I'd rather be cold (can bundle) than hot. Hang in there cfmama.

catherinef
12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Yep, and the bulky clothes I'm wearing to keep warm don't look anywhere near as bad as they would've 159 pounds ago.

Air81
12-04-2009, 01:44 AM
When I returned from living in Africa, I was always cold, but then I moved to Phoenix and loved the heat. Now that I've started losing the weight, I keep my house at 78-80 and where a coat if it drops below 68 outside. I am under a blanket at friend's house continually. Not looking forward to the cold of Michigan in 2 weeks!

jay41
01-12-2010, 07:25 AM
I thought December cold was bad -- January cold is worse! I am freezing all the time and my hands and nose are the worst. I don't remember ever having cold issues with my nose (I was raised in Wisconsin). My hands are never warm and I've taken to wearing a blanket around the house.

About 90 pounds ago I was warm in the winter and thought the house was too hot.

PeanutsMom704
01-12-2010, 08:18 AM
we aren't allowed to have space heaters at work, but following the example of a co-worker, I sit with a heating pad on my lap. I'm thinking about getting one of those plug in electric throws for home - my sofa is next to a big wall of windows (no where else to put it) and I get freezing if I want to watch some tv in the evening.

(not sure if this is weight related, I don't think I've lost enough for that, but figured those were ideas that might help someone else)

time2lose
01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
When cfmama first posted this, I was not feeling the cold yet but now......! I was thinking that I have been cold just because it is cold outside, but my husband was laughing at me this weekend. He said that in years past when it was this cold outside, I would be wearing a light jacket outside and a tee shirt inside but now I am bundled up in a tee shirt, turtleneck, and sweater and staying under a blanket as much as possible. He is probably right!

I hope this means that this summer I will be more comfortable!

ToriLeigh
01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I spent last winter pregnant so I had about 30 extra pounds plus that great "pregnancy heater." I was warm all winter. This year I am already freezing all the time. That's the one thing I do not look forward to about losing weight. Oh, well, that's what electric blankets and heating pads are for.

BeachBreeze2010
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Sad part is I weighed the same last winter but it already feels worse so far this year and our temps haven't even gone below 40 yet. I am dreading this winter.

Oh and I think I may have read about why those who lose weight are cold and also why they have to eat less than those who have never been obese. I was reading this article about brown fat vs white fat. Apparently we are born with brown fat and we never really gain it (at least that is what it sounded like). So we can only lose brown fat. Well brown fat burns calories (more than white fat) and is also used to keep us warm. Apparently, there have been studies doing MRIs on various people and the amount of brown fat they contain. Well obese people have less brown fat than those of a normal weight. So it seems like brown fat is a good thing to have but if you become obese, then your body may shed the brown fat because it has white fat. Well if you lose the white fat and can never gain the brown fat, then it would make sense that you would be colder than if you never gained weight as well as having an overall lower metabolism than if you had never gained weight.

I don't know if that makes sense or if I'm even summarizing very well.

That makes sense. I don"t remember being excessively cold when I was younger and thin. All the more reason to move to a warmer climate!

Loving Me
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I am SO cold since losing 50lbs! My finger nails are actually blue tinged today because my hands are so cold, and that's in the house lol. I usually sit with a blanket on my lap at home but really need some warmer jumpers to keep my arms warm.
Hopefully though when it comes to summer this year I won't feel like I'm sweating EVERYWHERE!

VickieLou
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
You could try wearing long underwear under your pajamas. I have hot flashes some so I have the opposite problem. I wear summer pajamas to bed sometime. You could also wear a hat during the day that can help you keep warm.

knobhdy
01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh dear. I am cold all the time at 227 lbs.. I hate to think it will be worse when I am 127, as I hope to be eventually.

:(