South Beach Diet - The "On Plan" Thread for the Week of 11/2/09

beachgal
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan! :)

Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so! :D
This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.
Because people from different parts of the plan are posting here, it'll help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!
While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum. :thanks:

So, share with us: How are you staying on plan this week?

weezle
11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
OK here's my Ph2 Menu for today (and likely the week):

B: Overslept. Dang. I plan to have fruit smoothies for breakfast.
S: Dried fruit and almonds.
L: Mixed greens salad with cottage cheese, ww pita stuffed with veggies and LF pepperjack.
S: Cheese stick.
D: Homemade bruschetta with LF triscuits, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Broccoli/Cauliflower Casserole (It's a lot of broccoli but I don't care.)
S: Possible SF candy, depends on how I feel.

Ruthxxx
11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Phase II:
My ticker is a Big Fat Liar today and I'm hoping it's just water retention from a decadent weekend.

Here's today:
B. protein shake with protein powder, skim milk, an egg and some sf raspberry Jello.
L. Home made pea soup, sf yogurt and 15 grapes
D. Tex-Mex pork chop, roasted cauliflower and steamed Swiss Chard.

I did my 90 minutes at the gym and worked outside for a good two hours this afternoon lugging stuff into the barn and horsing the snow tires into the car.

cottagebythesea
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Here's what I ate today -

B. oatmeal soaked in unsweetened almond milk and topped with 1 T. craisins and a dollop of SF pumpkin butter
L. "Chicken" Divan, 4oz. cup Light and Fit blackberry yogurt
S. Honeycrisp apple
D. Lentil & Balsamic Roasted Veggie soup, 1/2 slice 9-grain ww bread with 1 T. sunflower seed butter
S. NSA fudgesicle

Exercise? Does dusting and vacuuming count?

CyndiM
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Ruth - I think too much salty food has my ticker a little adgitated too. Hoping it will be better tomorrow.

B: muesli soaked in homemade applesauce with 1/2 plain yogurt and a small squirt of agave
L: adzuki beans & rice with spinach & TJ's soy chorizo
s: thai tofu & 1 small triangle of lemon grilled tempeh (hit the co-op on my way home)
d: tuscan white bean soup with kale & zucchini

exercise - I'm heading for the bike. no wine tonight.

Heidi58
11-03-2009, 07:12 AM
I fixed a stir fry with left over pork tenderloin last night. A little SF teriyaki, lots of fresh veggies and just a little bit of meat. I was very happy with it but my DH didn't care for it. Looks like I'll be having the left overs for lunch all week. :p

Today's menu:

B: V-8, cottage cheese and tomato
Snack - pistachios & water
L: stifry, diet coke
Snack: hommus and red pepper slices
Dinner: grilled chicken, steamed veggies and a salad. SF jello if I think I 'need' it.

exercise - I'm hoping to take a good walk this afternoon.

Lexxiss
11-03-2009, 07:13 AM
I have a challenge this week staying OP. We've completed our "fall migration" to our winter home, and now it's time to settle in and restructure my SB friendly routine. I've just completed my 26th week on SBD and am feeling very healthy and happy with my 6 months OP-Phase 2.

Our home is bigger here and I have a wonderful kitchen which we renovated in 2004-all set up for SB healthy cooking. We have 2 nice grocery stores 10 miles away which is great since I really focus on organic foods. Costco is about 30 miles and we find ourselves in Denver quite frequently.

My challenge is exercise and keeping in a good headspace. I have been very fortunate since starting SBD to live right down the street from the most beautiful year round outdoor hot springs and it has been super simple to get upwards of 300 min/week of structured aquatic exercise-while having great social interaction. Although I am 1 block from our rec center here, the pool is highly chlorinated and I'm not able to get into the water without breaking out in a horrible rash-and the group is quite uninspiring.

This morning we checked out a rec center which is about 25 min away. DH and I are going this morning and I'm going to check out an aerobics class called "Get up and Go", which says it's suitable for all fitness levels. It's a great area for bike riding, so I'll take my bike as well.

So thats my plan this week; continue eating OP and keep moving. I find that I feel great as long as I eat OP, but I don't lose # unless I keep moving.

Have a great week everyone.

Ruthxxx
11-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Slight budge in the scale this morning - the right way!

Today is all planned:
B. Oatmeal, dried peaches, milk
L. Pea soup leftover from Saturday with an apple
D. Some sort of creation with leftover pork chop, tomatoes, black beans and mushrooms served over spaghetti squash.

CyndiM
11-03-2009, 08:12 AM
B: refried beans, kale, veggie crumbles and some rf cheese
S: homemade applesauce
L: leftover tuscan bean soup with kale, might grab another vegetable from the Co-op
S: 100 cal almond pack
D: probably a veggie scramble over sauteed chard

I'm going to try for a walk at lunchtime then a shorter bike workout tonight. Let's see if the day allows me to get out of the office for half an hour

Shimmy Slim
11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Here's my food plan for the day. Today I am at real risk of comfort eating (back is agony, small child is mega annoying) so I'm nervous of eating anything in case it leads to disaster :(

Phase 2

B: spelt muffin with sunflower seeds and dried apple (really need to find a better name for that!)
L: chicken and turkey bacon salad with lots of tomatoes
S: hummus and veggie sticks (carrot, cucumber and possibly pepper if there's any left)
D: Lamb and cashew nut curry, basmati rice. Either broccoli or green beans on the side. Blackcurrant s/f jelly whipped with light evaporated milk.

weezle
11-03-2009, 08:57 AM
My scale is going in the wrong direction. However, I think I have about 4 lbs of fluid retained just under my eyes. Time to be super strict. I think I'm going to not eat my Ph2 starches after lunch. Fruit in the morning, pita with lunch, then back to basics the rest of the day. (Dancing With the Stars dancers swear by doing it this way.) Plus, I haven't been drinking my peppermint tea at night, either.

Have a fabulous OP day girls!!!!!

Lisa

jandaman
11-03-2009, 08:58 AM
food plan for today

phase two, too!

B: whole grain finnish muffin with lofat creamcheese and cucumber
L: lamb's lettuce&apple salad with balsamico dressing and one slice ww spelt pizza with lofat mozz&turkey salami
D: zucchini fritatta

snacks: apple slices, yogurt with flaxseed-maybe sbd ricotta dessert

i also try to get the starches in the morning or lunch..makes that scale move faster and whatever works for the dancing with stars dancers :)

Schmoodle
11-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Great idea for a thread. I need a bit of hand-holding and accountability right now. My plan to stay on-plan this week involves a few days of Phase I detox. If I am good until Friday night, I'll reward myself with a glass of wine.

Today I will guzzle water, and I'm thinking scrambled eggs with salsa for breakfast, with a glass of tomato juice. Dinner will be beef stew with LOTS of veggies in it. For snacks and lunch I've got hummus with raw veg, cheese sticks, and edamame. I feel like crap, so that's good motivation right there.

Exercise = long lunchtime walk (hopefully it will warm up some by then).

sophie
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
phase 2
two eggs with pumpernickel bread.
Asian coleslaw with two slices of turkey
1/3 cup yogurt with frozen blueberries
trout with a big salad
1/2 apple with tablespoon of peanut butter
and lots water and some green tea during the day.
take care
Sophie

cottagebythesea
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I think I did pretty well today, despite the fact that I felt snacky all day. There's something about this cooler weather that makes me want to eat all the time, but I'm determined not to give in.

B. oatmeal soaked in unsweetened almond milk, with a few craisins and walnuts
S. cup of Light & Fit yogurt
L. leftover lentil & balsamic roasted veggie soup
Between lunch and supper - honeycrisp apple, 100 calorie SBD bar, 1 pc. string cheese
D. leftover "chicken" divan
S. SBD peanutbutter cup dessert

Exercise was a long hike, mostly uphill, and raking pile after pile of leaves for the girls to jump into.

jandaman
11-04-2009, 04:51 AM
p2

B:2 softboiled eggs&pumpernickel
L:some kind of salad and sbd shepard's pie
D:haven't got a clue.....

well, it looks as if i need to sit down and whip up some menu plans--i KNOW that being unprepared leads to excessive snacking etc!! i'll read thru ur backposts and get inspired...need more veggies, too!

postscriptum after perusing very useful what's for dinner thread:) :)
D:lentil soup with balsamic roasted veggies (thx for the inspiration laurie)

Shimmy Slim
11-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Yesterday was totally OP :D

Phase 2

B: porridge with 5 slices dried apple and a sf/ff vanilla yoghurt
L: chicken caesar salad (light dressing)
S: roasted chickpeas and a banana
D: chicken stuffed with herby cream cheese, wrapped in parma ham and roasted. Roast sweet potato, roasted green beans and carrots.

Ruthxxx
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Am feeling a bit down and out of control these days although the deviations have not been major. I think I'm still recovering from the weekend decadence.
Today I am going to do the soft-boiled egg and pumpernickel breakfast a la Jandaman. Lunch will be the last serving of pea soup - NO CRACKERS! Dinner will be very low carb - chicken and veggies over spaghetti squash, I think. Today's challenge will be the tea at the nursing home this afternoon and those darned tiny tea sandwiches! I may take along a dog which means I'll have to stay out of the tea room due to health regulations.

Right now I'm getting organized to go off to the gym for an attitude adjustment.

Heidi58
11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Good Morning!
well, it looks as if i need to sit down and whip up some menu plans--i KNOW that being unprepared leads to excessive snacking etc!!
I find that, too.
Even if I don't stick to the plan, I make more thoughtful choices when I start substituting. :)

I've got parent teacher conferences today and youth group after that so I need to pack my food for the day and bring it all with me when I leave this morning... :eek: Here's my plan:

B: oatmeal with milk and stevia, v8 juice
S: pistachios
L: tuna and tomato
D: turkey and cheese rollups, SF Jello, milk
After youth group: red pepper slices and hommus

No time for a walk today, but it's just as well, my foot is killing me this morning. :(

Lexxiss
11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Yesterday started out really good and ended up with some really poor food choices. Really poor for me, because this is the first time in 6 months that I have eaten any food off SB. I understand the whys; I was emotionally distraught and reached a point of temporary insanity where I absolutely did not care to make a good choice.

I am still pretty upset today, but have resolved to get my food back OP regardless of my emotional state. I don't have physical cravings to eat off plan.

jandaman
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
:hug::hug::hug: debbie!!!

Heidi58
11-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey Debbie, how did it go yesterday?
"first time in 6 months" is AMAZING! I'm really sorry you had a rough day and glad that you're resolved to get back on track but I'm impressed that you've been so faithful for so long.

I looked at your Beacher Bio yesterday and saw you'll be skiing this season. :D Way to go. I ski Alpine to be sociable - when friends or my son talk me into it. I ski Nordic for enjoyment. lol

Here's my plan for today:

B: cottage cheese, tomato, V8
S: yogurt
L: leftover stirfry
S: hommus and celery (or peppers if I remember to stop at the store)
D: meaty spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash and salad
Probably a SF pudding or fudgcicle while I'm watching TV.

I plan to hit the treadmill this afternoon.

Lexxiss
11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Janda, Heidi, Thanks for the kindness you sent my way. It helped!

Ruth, I hope you're feeling better! Soft boiled egg and pumpernickel is one of my favorites! Sometimes I have it for lunch.

I'm feeling better today. My food was OP yesterday and I've upped my committment for another. I have a OP Pumpkin Pie in the oven and we're going to have a SB picnic today after we get our exercise in.

Two things I've learned here this week;
1. One meal OFF plan is not a big deal-no matter what I ate. (As long as I get right back OP!)

2. Since I already knew I was seriously stressed, I could have planned ahead for a semi-OP dinner with a treat (such as OP Pumpkin Pie) and done much better for myself then oinking at McDonalds, :rofl: Oh, and two Krispy Kremes.

So, that's what Pumpkin Pie and OP Picnic are about today; having a healthy and happy experience OP-acknowledging the stress exists and accepting it.

PS-I'm working on SBing this kitchen. I pitched the cake flour and a few other things this morning.

cottagebythesea
11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Debbie, Hooray for getting right back On Plan and putting your off-plan slip in perspective. I think this is a good lesson for all of us to remember. Just because we may fall off the wagon, that doesn't mean all is lost. Just get right back up and jump on again!

I've been having a rough few days, wanting to eat all day long. I've been resisting, although at times it's been challenging, but I do feel good at the end of the day for my efforts, and knowing it's been a "clean" day. I hope I can move past this period fast, though!

Ruthxxx
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Debbie, good idea to do a kitchen "purifying". I should do the same as raisins and chocolate chips sometimes holler at me.

Yesterday was way too low carb and I suffered for it this morning so today I will be more mindful. I am gong out to a dinner meeting tonight and am taking an appetizer. The hostess is serving a roasted vegetable soup and has asked me to bring a appetizer to "meat it up". I'm thinking cucumber rounds stuffed with ham salad - maybe.

B. orange juice :nono: for low BGL, ww toast with Laughing Cow
L. romaine salad with chicken, other veggies and some black beans
D. protein appetizers, veggie soup and NO BREAD. I'll allow myself a glass or two of wine - maybe! Since it's hunting season, the cops are doing lots of RIDE checks.

Lexxiss
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Debbie, good idea to do a kitchen "purifying". I should do the same as raisins and chocolate chips sometimes holler at me.

My "other" house is already SB friendly, but since I haven't been here much it hasn't been too big an issue. By getting rid of all the white flour baking products and all white pastas, I've opened up new space for all my legumes and dehydrated stuff. Everything looks really nice and feels functional. I did keep my raisins, carob chips, brown and powdered sugar, but moved them to a top shelf for the rare occasions I might use them.

jandaman
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
quick accountability check-in
phase 2

b:irish oatmeal with chopped apple&almond
s:banana
l: lamb's lettuce salad w/apple vinegar dressing&Kalyn's mac'n'cheese w/ww pasta, green beans&broccoli
s:latte macchiato&dried mango strips
d: (veggie soup with turkey hotdogs)-- in parentheses cuz plans went awry-had pumpernickel sandwich w/lofat cream cheese, ham and cucumbers galore instead.

that's a lot of starchy starchiness for me...tomorrow will be heavy on the veggies and proteins....

blessedwithsarah
11-05-2009, 01:26 PM
My check in for today - p1

Bf - 2 ricotta muffins
lunch - salad with chicken, lentil soup
snack - veggies and lite laughing cow cheese
Dinner - Pork loin, not sure what veggies, maybe broccoli.
snack - ??

Heidi58
11-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Down another pound this morning - and I started my TOM. I'd forgotten that personal benefit of SBD. I know it doesn't work this way for everyone, but I have much less bloating and discomfort when I'm exercising and eating well. Yet another reason for me to stay OP. :p

Here's my plan for the day:
B: V-8, cheese sticks, cucumber slices
S: yogurt
L: left over stir fry (last serving - finally!)
S: salmon, broccoli and salad at one of my favorite restaurants.
(pistachios and water to snack on while I drive if I need to.)

I'm driving down to see my parents after school and I'll be there til Saturday evening. I'm really looking forward to the visit and hoping to stay OP.
Talk to you ladies on Sunday! :)

CyndiM
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Debbie - hooray for getting right back on-plan and doing it in an enjoyable way.

Cottage - I've been dealing with the constant hunger thing too. I think it's the impending winter.

Today's plan is a strict on plan day so I have room for wine tonight ;)

B: Chard, refried beans, scrambled egg
s: pear, ff cottage cheese if I need it
L: leftover beans and veggie chorizo with spinach
s: 100 cal almonds if I need them, piece of fruit (we have apples & pears!)
D: sauteed bok choi and roasted tofu

exercise - half hour walk at lunchtime then 1/2 hour on the exercise bike when I get home

jandaman
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
hi ladies...got really caught up in emotional issues today and instead of moping/eating i did the 30 day shred!!!
unbelievable!!
i am just so happy i needed to share my good vibes with you. :)

phase two
b:2 softboiled eggs, slice of pumpernickel w/lofat cream cheese, ham and cucumber
s: mango strips, pre-workout banana
l: lentil veggie soup w/turkey hotdog bits
s: post-workout banana
d: probably more soup :))

hope ur day is awesome and on plan!!

beachgal
11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
:cp: to Janda and to Debbie for working through challenges in positive ways! :high:

Debbie, I find that if I make staying OP easier than going off plan, it helps a lot. So make an OP Pumpkin Pie (or try Amanda's amazing pumpkin cake...it's super easy, super healthy, and super YUMMY!), and stick it in your freezer for the next time the urge hits. (((hugs)))

I'm in Phase 2: I'm doing pretty well--staying really busy has helped me cope. I've been doing a lot of cleaning and am amazed to find that I'm finally starting to replace my overeating compulsion with a cleaning one! I'll never be a neatnik (not even close!), but I'm amazed at how happy having something clean and tidy can make me...it's almost as good as a piece of chocolate! Almost. ;)

Off to get my daily endorphin boost after work today. Looking forward to it! :goodvibes:

Lexxiss
11-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Janda :cp: on whipping that emotional eating.
Heidi, hope the weekend goes well.
Laurie, for me, having a somewhat organized and clean home base makes OP eating easier. Yeah! for endorphins!

It's going to be an OP weekend here. We drove to our lil' happy place and I'm happy to be able to pull everything I need out of the freezer for making quick and healthy meals.
I'm waiting for raspberries to thaw for my breakfast smoothie and I enjoyed a piece of Ezekial Raisin toast with some added cinnamon.
Lunch is chicken soup-my base is thawing right now and I'll add dehydrated veggies.
Dinner is undecided at the moment.
I'm going to take advantage of my ample exercise opportunities, too.

Heidi58
11-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice job Janda! :D

I am in awe of you bakers. Even OP baked goods are really hard for me, I want to eat more than 1 serving and even when I resist they taunt me from the kitchen. Maybe I'll be ready to try again in a few weeks.

I had a great visit with my parents. I'm so blessed to still have them. I did quite well meal wise but I chose to have a small piece of my dad's birthday cake. (It was delicious. :p)

Despite the cake, I'm down another pound today - long time since I've seen the 180's. I'm pretty happy.

I'm not sure what I'll be eating today. I just finished my oatmeal but my husband and I are heading to Freeport after church today to do some Christmas shopping. That will mean eating out and since we'll be spending on gifts we'll probably try to 'eat cheap'. I've got some string cheese, v8 and pistachios to take with me so I'm hoping that will keep me from ordering anything stupid.

Enjoy your Sunday friends! *hug*

cottagebythesea
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I did pretty well this weekend, considering it was my birthday. The only deviation I had was a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from DQ. Other than that, though, I've been eating on-plan and getting tons of exercise working in the yard and garden.

Heidi58
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I did pretty well this weekend, considering it was my birthday. The only deviation I had was a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from DQ. Other than that, though, I've been eating on-plan and getting tons of exercise working in the yard and garden.

Good for you! :carrot: Sounds like you gave yourself a real birthday gift!