Goal! - Today I'm 45 and the smallest I've been in 30 years!

TamiL
11-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Today is my 45th birthday. After many attempts and some short term success I decided in February that I wouldn't let another year go by as a fat girl. Today I weighed in at 118 (ok up a few pounds but under a bit of stress right now, grandma died Friday). I've been maintaining 114 to 120 for a few months right now. This is the smallest I've been since I was 14 or 15 years old.

Since February I've been on a low carb type diet, not Atkins specifically, but one where I don't eat pasta, rice, bread or most potatoes (I cheat and make homemade french fries occasionally). I gave up sugar (I am a candy freak) and fast food (this was the biggie). Within 3 months I was down 50 pounds. The rest has been falling off when I'm not looking. I am totally amazed at how fast a change can be made, even by us old gals, just by simply changing the way we eat and the way we think about eating.

So here I sit, 45 years old now, and I have reached a goal that I never thought was possible at my age. My husband asked what I wanted for my birthday.....I told him that the ladies at 3FC have already given me the best present that I could of dreamed of. I wish to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and encouragement in this journey. I could never have done this without my daily visits to this site. You ladies (and gents) are wonderful, take a bow!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I plan on staying active here for a long time to go, this site keeps me motivated and honest. Your successes are my successes and vice versa! I love you all:hug:

LittleMoonRabbit
11-02-2009, 07:17 AM
wow, I am so happy for you! That is amazing!!! Fantastic job!

LotusMama
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Congratulations on making such a significant change during the last year! You gave yourself the best gift ever.

Happy, Happy Birthday!

J

bargoo
11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Happy Birthday and congratulations on a great achievment ! Sorry to hear about your Grandma .

Mercy03
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Today is my 45th birthday. After many attempts and some short term success I decided in February that I wouldn't let another year go by as a fat girl. Today I weighed in at 118 (ok up a few pounds but under a bit of stress right now, grandma died Friday). I've been maintaining 114 to 120 for a few months right now. This is the smallest I've been since I was 14 or 15 years old.

Since February I've been on a low carb type diet, not Atkins specifically, but one where I don't eat pasta, rice, bread or most potatoes (I cheat and make homemade french fries occasionally). I gave up sugar (I am a candy freak) and fast food (this was the biggie). Within 3 months I was down 50 pounds. The rest has been falling off when I'm not looking. I am totally amazed at how fast a change can be made, even by us old gals, just by simply changing the way we eat and the way we think about eating.

So here I sit, 45 years old now, and I have reached a goal that I never thought was possible at my age. My husband asked what I wanted for my birthday.....I told him that the ladies at 3FC have already given me the best present that I could of dreamed of. I wish to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and encouragement in this journey. I could never have done this without my daily visits to this site. You ladies (and gents) are wonderful, take a bow!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I plan on staying active here for a long time to go, this site keeps me motivated and honest. Your successes are my successes and vice versa! I love you all:hug:

What an accomplishment!!!!!!!! Your heading caught my eye and then I looked at your dimensions and age and they are almost all the same as mine . Your post gives me hope and put a HUGE smile on my face this morning:)

annie175
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow congratulations on reaching your goal. How very exciting. Maintaining takes a LOT more effort, just don't ever give up!! Sorry to hear about your grandma, and hugs to you.

Onederchic
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Happy birthday and congrats!! :hug:

NoDak
11-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Congratulations to you! I just started (well, re-started) my weight-loss/lifestyle change journey, and it's encouraging to read success stories like yours. Any advice for those of us just getting started? I haven't yet thought very seriously about my long- and short-term goals, and I'm very open to hearing what works and what doesn't work in terms of goal-setting and rewards.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

~K

KaCee J
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
FANTASTIC job! It is so inspiring to see your success! :woohoo:

K-boogie
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Happy Belated Birthday and Congratulations!!

leeway
11-03-2009, 01:23 AM
WOW, what a wonderful thing to be able to say - you have succeeded in reaching your goal, changing your life forever - YOU DID IT! What an amazing present you have given not only yourself but all those who love you as well.

You have also given us all here a gift - by sharing your success, you have given hope and proof that it can be done - especially to those of us at the beginning of our journey. Your story can be our story - thank you so much for that!

What a week you've had - celebrating one loss and grieving another - my sincerest sympathy to you and your family for the passing of your grandmother.

Keep up the good work now that you're in maintainence (how great is that?) - best wishes and good luck.:congrat:

TamiL
11-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Wow, thank you all for your kind responses! I feel so much better now than when I was heavier. We can all do this :)

NoDak- the only advice I have is find what works for you and stick to it. Set goals that are realistic and attainable. And most of all be flexible (so maybe you didn't make your goal this month- its okay, you can make it next month....I had to tell myself that a few times, that it wasn't a race but something that I could achieve if I just kept at it).

Mercy03- our stats are definitely close. Actually the 140's and 150's are where I spent most of my time trying to stay in my 30's. I was chubby but never felt fat. To be honest, I don't know what possessed me to get down into the 115 to 120 range this time around. It just happened. But I am not upset about it, LOL You can definitely do this! Age does not prevent us from accomplishing our goals, even when it comes to weight....now if only I had a magic wand to banish the tummy, improve the boobies (perky would be nice instead of droopy), and give me back my butt! Thank god for clothes.

annie175- another Indiana girl! Your right maintaining is the hardest thing. I know that I need to eat more but its so hard because my mind still thinks in terms of "if I eat that I'll get fat". At this point I am considering starting some kind of strength training, but darn it all, I'm a bit lazy!

leeway- Thank you! My story will be your story and there can be no doubt about it! I take my inspiration from everyone here. I love to read about everyone successes, it is so motivating!

We can and will do this together!!

Leenie
11-03-2009, 08:55 AM
CONGRATULATIONS and Happy Birthday :hb: <---- low carb of course ;)

thunderbegone
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Congrats on your success! Very impressive! I have a quick question, did you eliminate fruit too or did you eat it in moderation?

lambchop
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss (grandmother)

On the other hand, I'm thrilled to hear of your loss (all the weight) and keeping it off!

Congratulations on a job well done, and shouting it out so others of us still working towards our goal continue to stay motivated and inspired!

Sweetcaroline
11-03-2009, 12:29 PM
What a wonderful gift you gave yourself... Happy Birthday and congrats on your accomplishments.

Lori259
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Happy Birthday & Congradulations!!!

mom4life
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
congratulations!!!

Mickeypnd
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
WOW! What an accomplishment you have reached!!

CONGRATS!

dancerindenver
11-03-2009, 09:35 PM
what an inspiring story! Thanks so much for sharing!

petra65
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Congratulations! I'm turning 44 next month. I hope I have reached my goal by the time I get to my 45th birthday next year.

Noellem87
11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Congratulations that is a wonderful thing you have done for yourself!! Wow!!

Hydra
11-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Happy belated birthday. My condolences on your loss.

Thanks for sharing how you completed your weight loss journey. I totally agree with you that the people here at 3FC are just wonderful.

TamiL
11-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Congrats on your success! Very impressive! I have a quick question, did you eliminate fruit too or did you eat it in moderation?

I eliminated all fruit but strawberries and blueberries in the beginning months. Then over the summer I have added them all back into my diet but in moderation because some fruits (grapes) are like candy to me and its easy to go overboard. I still tend to want a bigger serving of fruit than veggies so I have to constantly remind myself that the veggies are really good for me.

To all- Thank you for all your kind words, Grandma's funeral was yesterday and now behind us. It was a lovely service and I was able to see relatives from all over the country that I hadn't seen since I was a small child. Its funny but it sure is a humbling moment when you realize that you have just moved into another generation. Grandma was the last of our 1rst generation, mom is the 2nd generation, I am the 3rd, my daughter 4th and her daughter 5th. Now that makes mom the 1rst and me the 2nd generation. Time passes way to quickly.

Ellie R
11-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Well done TamiL - am so delighted to see you have reached Goal...hope for all of us!!!

fruitlady
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Great job TamiL! I'm 41 and our heights and weights are almost the same, doesn't it feel great! I also lost more than I had planned and your right, it just happen. That's a good thing!

Shannon in ATL
11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Happy late birthday, and a big congratulations on reaching your goal! :)

tiredofthis
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss!

lots2go
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
wow, very inspiring!! your deminsions are about the same as mine...

jillsusan
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
That is amazing!! Well done and Congratulations!!

yoyoma
11-04-2009, 03:13 PM
:carrot: Superb job! Happy Birthday and congratulations!!! :carrot:

TamiL
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Thank you all! This is why I come here:hug:

Thighs Be Gone
11-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Awesome for you! BRAVO!

SexLovesCandy
11-05-2009, 11:49 AM
fantastic!!! go you!! :D
I bet you feel just great!

Judy Lynn
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Awesome! Major Congrats on a job well done!

murphmitch
11-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Congratulations and so sorry about your grandmother. Your story is proof that even though it's harder for us to lose as we get older, it's not impossible. I'm 53 and maintaining at a weight I never could as a youngster. I've learned I have to be very careful of grains and processed foods. For me, it also involved eating a ton more vegetables, so you don't feel the need to eat so much of everything else. Maintenance is hard, but so worth it. You are truly an inspiration!

Bigmid
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Happy Belated Birthday and Congratulations on you weight loss. That is fantastic. My condolenses on your grandmother I hope you have many happy memories of her. Best wishes for maintaining.

Ma Petite
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
What an inspiration! It really is amazing how fast a change can be made by changing your diet. I dropped 10 pounds in two weeks last year JUST by dropping sodas!

Congrats!!

Lincolns Sparrow
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I am new and really enjoying these stories. We try; we fail; we try again, we fail again, and eventually, we try and WE SUCCEED!

Tammy43vn
11-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Happy Birthday!!! Congratulations! Woohoo!!!!

k8t
11-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, but I also want to congratulate you on your success!

bridietogo
11-23-2009, 05:31 PM
You should be soooo proud of yourself - look at what you've achieved! Well done, well done, you're an inspiration to people like me starting on this life changing journey.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Have the best birthday ever - you deserve it.

Natoshial
01-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your success story with us. This gives me hope that I can do this. It can be done.

esabelar
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Congratulations! You are truly an inspiration! It sounds like you must've made a big mental change for the weight to just fall off of you! You inspire me, because I am thinking - and hoping! - that I am in a similar space as when you first started. And I am 45 too. Happy birthday and congrats again on a successful journey!

byebyebelly
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Congratulations on your success! What an inspiration! You look great!

katybug12
02-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Congrats! You look great!

Sorry about your loss :(

unidestiny
03-21-2010, 08:40 AM
that made me feel very touched for some reason or another.

Congrats and please stay around forever! We need success stories like you going around telling us we can do it! =)

reagansquad
03-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Fabulous work!

TamiL
03-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all your comments. Currently I haven't been doing too bad over the winter. My clothes still fit and my scale is currently broke ;( I'm sure I am up a few pounds now because people are saying I look healthier than I did, LOL Time to focus on walking and moving a bit more to maintain where I am at. I really hope everyone is achieving the success that you desire! We can and will do this, one pound at a time.

Hermit Girl
03-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Tami ~ I am at the start of a serious commitment to losing the weight that has piled on since peri-menopause started, turning 40, in '02. I have felt particularly hopeless feeling that in perimenopause losing weight is impossible, but finding you here, helps me endlessly ! I know I can lose the 50 pounds now... even though my body just wants to pile on more, I am going to learn how to count calories, own up to my actions/eating, and be accountable to myself, (I'm using About.com 'Calorie Count' ) I would like to follow you around here a bit... so don't be surprised when you look over your shoulder, I'll be there ! ;-) :lol:

Staceyh2012
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Well done! Xxxxx

fyreflie24
01-29-2012, 11:59 AM
So sorry for your loss :(

Kudos! I'm going to be 43 on Saturday and I'm in the same place... done with the weight... thanks for reaffirming that us 40-somethings can do it! :)

Happy happy birthday and enjoy your successes :)

bg124
02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
You give me so much hope! You look beautiful!

Sum38
02-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Wow; you look amazing!

:congrat:
:bday2you:

I am hoping to reach my goal for my 45th bday, which happens to be in November. :D Stories like yours inspire....especially because we are the same height :hug:

lcard
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
WTG! Glad to hear you found a diet that worked so great for you!!

smad11
02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Congratulations!! You sound like me with the carb, candy and fast food choices you made... except that I'm having trouble sticking to it. :( But you are very inspiring... and happy birthday :)

smarkey
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Congrats! What an inspiration to keep on going. I love carbs and sugar, too, but giving them up or reducing intake really, really helps.

Reading this goal story (and all the others) is the best part of this forum - knowing it's doable, knowing others have succeeded.

Thanks for sharing your story and your pics.

FunSize
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
You must be thrilled.. so happy for you!