Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #1  
A Brit lost in Austin

Default Down and disappointed

So I've weighed myself early and of course I was disappointed by the number and of course I did it right after eating and of course the number was EVEN HIGHER THAN WHEN I STARTED DIETING.

Man, the beginning of a diet just sucks. If I could lose 10 lbs solid I would be SO motivated...

I need a

But you guys can help me in a more practical way... I'm craving salad a lot recently (which, I have to say, is pretty great timing), but I'm stuck on the Mc Donald's southwest chicken salad with grilled chicken. I'd like some variety at least! All the chicken salad recipes I know are really caloric and heavy on the fat grams.

Does anyone have any really good chicken salad recipes they can donate to a good cause?
Nenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

You'll make it to the first 10lb very soon but even when you do you'll still have a lot of scale fluctuations to learn to deal with. Weighing too regularily may always make you feel like this but in time you'll also learn how you body reacts (I know I "put on" 2lb after my evening meal from doing exactly what you did).

Processed salads like what you're eating will be higher in calories and sodium so not as good for you as makign your own. I eat a lot of salad because I like it and it works for me but I just put the raw veg I like with meat/fish/whatever and add some mayo or other dressing (taking into account the calories as it's the dressings that have the high calories in). I don't make any special salad recipie. Breaded chicken will have more calories in too so better to cook your own. Most the time for a chicken salad I just throw together carrot, peppers, tomato, lettuce, cucumber (or whatever I'm in the mood for - maybe onion/red onion , spring onion, chives), pieces of cooked chicken and some low fat garlic mayo.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Makin your own salads are gonna be so much healthier.

Here's a for ya
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenu View Post
So I've weighed myself early and of course I was disappointed by the number and of course I did it right after eating and of course the number was EVEN HIGHER THAN WHEN I STARTED DIETING.

Man, the beginning of a diet just sucks. If I could lose 10 lbs solid I would be SO motivated...

Does anyone have any really good chicken salad recipes they can donate to a good cause?
http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recip...alorie/salads/
check it out

I've put myself in a catch-22 of I'd be motivated if I I could just lose that X lbs, but I have to be motivated to lose that X lbs in the first place, ay chihuahua. (and you do have to keep in mind that when you weigh yourself is going to show different numbers, don't psych yourself out when you're just starting)

that's why a lot of people here talk about a lifestyle change that leads to losing weight rather than a diet. it's semantics, yeah. but how I think about it makes a big difference with my staying power. hang in there.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #6  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenu View Post

I need a

But you guys can help me in a more practical way... I'm craving salad a lot recently (which, I have to say, is pretty great timing), but I'm stuck on the Mc Donald's southwest chicken salad with grilled chicken. I'd like some variety at least! All the chicken salad recipes I know are really caloric and heavy on the fat grams.

I confess I love salad, but I HATE making it! So, if you're looking for a take out type salad, try the Wendy's salads - and their low fat honey mustard dressing is really good. They're just plain salads with nothing unhealthy added and they're delicious.

Also, I don't know if you know of Swiss Chalet, but they do an awesome Bacon Ranch salad (I just switch the Ranch dressing to a light Italian).

And when the salad wears thin, try some fresh veggies chopped up and lightly done in extra virgin olive oil, with a little garlic and better. Crunchy and delicious!

Good luck!!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #7  
A Brit lost in Austin

Thanks you guys. You're so sweet!

I'll try making my own salads with grilled chicken and low-fat dressing, and if I don't have time I'll check out Wendy's.

Last night I went to my uncle and aunt's house for dinner. My uncle made pot roast, but don't worry, I was good and stuck to a small portion. There was also caprese salad (tomato, basil, mozzerella).

Then, at the end of dinner, my uncle brings out an apple and strawberry tart made with no-fat fake butter and Splenda, and announces that it's about 90 calories per serving. It was so sweet; he really tried to help me! The tart was delicious; I'll get the recipe from him some time and share it with 3FC.

The best part is that he emailed me this morning to tell me he'd noticed how I'd lost weight! Wow... I guess all the weight I saw on the scale last night was water weight or something because apparently before dinner I looked thinner...?

I'm really glad I have supportive family. My heart goes out to those of you who don't.

Last edited by Nenu; 11-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #8  

Hi Nenu,

I make chicken every week and refrigerate it for salads, usually on my george foreman grill, or else in the oven. I cover the chicken in Mrs. Dash (which has no salt - bonus!) because I need the flavor - otherwise I'll use too much salad dressing. There are a few different kinds, and I think it really helps to add flavor without any bad stuff.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #9  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

anything you can do to stretch creamy salad dressing - dip the tines of your fork in it, or water/milk it down....or wipe it in a big bowl and then toss the salad in the big bowl...you will be so much better off. There are sooo many calories in creamy dressing.

I like to chop up berries or put a scoop of cottage cheese and herbs on my salad, or drizzle some berry infused or basalmic vinegar on my salads, that way, I know what is in the dressing and I'm not getting 200 calories from "Hidden Farms" or whatever.

I love chicken salad. I just take chicken breast (baked), grapes, walnuts, celery, apple, cube it, and mix with no-fat mayo. Then I take a huge pile of spinach and put a reasonable portion of the chicken salad on it, and eat it as a dinner.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #10  
A Brit lost in Austin

weebles - That sounds like a really wonderful recipe. I'll try it out this week! I might add blackberries, too.

twinklebug - I'm thinking I might spring for a Foreman grill, or maybe ask for it for XMas. The Mrs Dash is a great idea. I've got some Cajun blackening at home too, which is nice and healthy if you don't use butter

Havisham - I haven't heard of Swiss Chalet but I'll see if there are any around here. Thanks for the tip!

dragon - You're absolutely right about the catch-22. It's bad, but sometimes I can't help it. I can never tell when I'll be motivated by happy-when-skinny-thoughts or depressed by them, so I let myself think that way as long as I don't get too down.

For example, I see people here who are in the 120s and trying to get down to 115 or 110 or whatever and I just think, wow, good for you guys. If I were in the 120s I'd be so happy I wouldn't even care about food. I'd be too busy being thin! I don't know what on earth possessed me to think I was fat when I weighed 110! What the **** was I thinking?!?!? This kind of thought is pretty destructive, IMO, because I'm looking backwards with regret.

On the other hand, sometimes I think, hey, you know, it would be great to not care about fitting into this old shirt or that old pair of jeans. I bought a gorgeous pair of UK size 10 black skinny jeans from Mango when I was in Spain with my hubs and they've NEVER BEEN WORN. I can't even get them on one leg! When I think about that, I don't feel guilty, just excited. I think, "Oh man, I am going to look so hot in these jeans, better get cracking."

Your advice really hit the nail on the head for me. Just hang on, through thick and thin (hah, puns). My dad was naturally slim and my mum is really quite skinny, so I don't have genetics getting in my way. I just treated myself like crap for a handful of years and it's time to grow up and be happy.

Onederchick and jrmohr - Thanks for the hugs and encouragement! You've made me feel really welcome here.

Rainbow - Cheers for the guidelines. You're right, if I know what goes into a salad I'll make better and healthier choices. After wading through a lot of dieting literature and lurking at a lot of dieting forums I've picked up on the whole "weight fluctuations" thing, which I never really had a problem with until I got heavier. Doesn't mean I'm used to them emotionally, though! Thanks for the support.