Support Groups - New CANADIAN WINTER Thread ...

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : New CANADIAN WINTER Thread ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-01-2009, 06:16 PM
HELLO FELLOW CANUCKS ~ I received another request to start up a new CANADIAN WINTER Thread as the thread was missed and more people have time to come by in the winter time. It is also a time that many people want to renew their weightloss efforts. Let's see how it goes, and I will do my best to keep it up and going, and I hope that many of our fellow Canadians will drop by to visit us ...

Remember -- this thread is here to offer support to other Canadians; AND it is to encourage and support each other in our weightloss efforts too. Feel free to talk about anything you like here (and that includes the weather); and/or come by just to chat for a bit ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2b125by46
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm here. Since we were last together I have gained weight and found out it wasn't all my fault. I was diagnosed with a low functioning thyroid also known as Hypothyroidism and carb sensitivity aka Insulin resistance. Now that I am on meds for my thyroid and staying away from carbs except in veggies, for now, I am hoping to see the scale move to the left. In 7 days I have lost 6. I have had only 1 bad sugar in a reeses peanut butter cup. I am very impressed with myself considering we have gone through Halloween and Peanut butter cups are my sons favourite and we have lots of them. I am trying to drink more herbal tea. I have bought all kinds of flavours and so far none of them need sugar to get them down.

I am still following the Blood type O plan. When I go off I suffer terribly. I am still not getting any support at home from either DS or DH. I did however get an elliptical trainer from my MIL so far I can do 5 min. at a time. I am hoping that by warmer weather I will have that built up to an hour.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
:wave: HI 2b -- great, you found it right away ... I had to take a break to get dinner on the table and came back to check once we had the dishes done. I'm sorry to hear you don't have much support at home; I hope we can be your support here. I also have to watch my carb intake as well, although I can have some, but I try to have switched to whole grain carbs and I watch how many grain or starchy carbs I have each day.

My doctor(s) (last & present) have me on Metformin which makes me very hungry at times, so I have to have some carbs, but I am trying for those that have a lower GI number (meaning less natural sugars in them). Whole grains help to slow the blood sugar spikes and I am trying to have 2 servings of fruit like berries, or a small GREEN banana, peaches, nectarine, rhubarb, etc all of which have less fructose in them.

:congrat: You are doing great to have lost 6 lbs already -- it's great to see some downward movement on the scale after a stall or a gain and trust me; I know how it feels. That was so nice of your MIL to get you that elliptical; and that's OK if you start at 5 minutes; work your way up a bit at a time.

I started my walking at 5-10 minutes at a time; going up and down our laneway; then up the street to the end of the block and back. It is all uphill and takes me between 20-30 minutes there and back. If I use my trekking poles (really ski poles), I can do it in 20 minutes, so I am extending it. Sometimes DH & I go to a special place and go for a longer walk to make sure we get the 30 minutes in a few times a week; and I go department store walking in between too. At my weight, I have to focus on walking for now; and this is important to help keep my sugars in line and improve my circulation which I need badly at this time.

I would like to eat less carbs, but my blood sugar level dips down too much, so I have to eat some and I have a severe Vitamin & Mineral deficiency so I have to take lots of supplements for that too. So I have to work around these things. I am doing some toning work in the AM upon rising and hand weights every other day for strengthening too.

I am always tweaking my plan and have been doing some daily calorie tracking lately to see how I can improve things a bit. Mainly, I am on a Whole Foods Portion Plan and I do use tips from Volumetrics, the GI Diet, and other plans (like the Beck Plan) to help me out. Actually, I'll use everything and anything that works best for me ... :hug:

2b125by46
11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Rosebud, Have you ever checked out this site: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/ for keep track of calories? I use it. I like it better than fit day only b/c if there is a food not in the huge data base you can add it to the database. Not only it will keep a list of the food you use on a regular basis handy to keep track of. I have been using it since Jan of last year.

I like walking over any other exercise but until I can get a treadmill I will use the elliptical.

have you ever tried using gluten free breads and stuff, That is the only kind carb other than veggies I can have

2b

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, had to get up at the crack of dawn to go to the dentists to get a tooth pulled out early this AM; and as I am getting ready a bunch of things decide to go wrong, but I did manage to have a shower, get my hair party dry and out the door (although, I had to come back once to go to the washroom again).

Then we finally get on our way and hit a detour, but we made it almost on the dot anyways; thank goodness they were still working with some other people at the time. I had to take some meds to calm my nervous tummy down and that finally kicked in just after he started his work. Next time, I take them a bit earlier.

Had nice mini-subs (my own homemade one on a whole wheat hot dog bun with lean roast beef & thinly sliced onion, & mozzarella cheese with mustard) for brunch as I didn't have time to have any breakfast or a snack this AM; so to make up for it, I had two mini-subs instead. They were quite nice and soft and easy for me to chew on my right side of my mouth.

Will probably have a homemade chicken soup/stew for dinner tonight; that would be nice I think; maybe with some brown rice and the leftover veggies from yesterday too. After going to the dentists, we went to pick up a few things and I got most of my Christmas shopping done. Our local department store workers were busy as bees putting up lots of stuff today. Just have to get something more for DH and some small stuff next month.

Well, it's time for tea -- take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
HI 2b ~ I didn't see your post at first; got distracted by DH as he needed my help to find a movie he wanted to see and then he needed a needle to get a sliver out of his thumb. Oh good, he found the tape and now I can finish my typing ... :lol:

No, I haven't tried that site; I will copy the link and go take a look at it. I noticed that when I keep track of what I'm eating that I eat much less. I have heard others say that, but until you actually do it, you don't realize just how much of a difference it makes.

I made my own file up called " My Tracking Journal" and wrote a list of the things I eat the most. The first month was just an experiment to see where I could make some improvements; but now that I see such positive results with it, I have decided to continue with it for the winter and see what results I get for the effort. It only takes a few minutes a day: maybe 5-10.

I haven't tried the gluten free breads yet; I'll take a look at our grocer and see what they have there. We have a somewhat limited selection as we only have one grocery store in our small town; we do have one department store that recently expanded their food section but not sure they'd have specialty stuff like that though, but I'll have a looksee ...

Have a great day! :hug:

Ruthxxx
11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Nice to see this thread back. Meowee would be pleased and is probably smiling down at us.

It's definitely heading towards winter around here. The big wind on Saturday finally stripped the leaves off the trees and dried them up a bit. I did some outside tidying today but won't get at the raking until Wednesday or Thursday. If we get snow soon, it really won't matter until spring. :shrug:

The "lads" have been out deer hunting lately and I'm expecting my friend Art to show up at my door with some venison. I usually pay him back with an apple pie so must get one or two ready to bake.

By the way, I'm a carb tracker too (diabetic) and find that I do best when I keep them low. I have also started doing 90 minutes at the gym three days a week and have found it's made a huge difference, not in weightloss but in strength and energy. It's also done wonders fro my BP and blood sugar levels. Whodathunk I'd become a gym bunny at 70!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ having a great day so far; on track and on plan. We have an odd mix of sunshine and ***** falling at the same time: how interesting; and they are big flakes too, kinda pretty really.

RUTH -- thanks for dropping by; nice to see you. Good for you going to the gym; what all do you do while you are there? 90 minutes is a long time. I use to go to one when I was younger. First we started with a couple of walks around the outside track (one in the beginning); then some weight work on machines mixed with situps (on a slanted bench); a bike ride; some stretches; and finally another walk around the track. I lost a lot of inches but gained 10 lbs in 1 year; the master trainer said I tone up great and lost sizes but gained in muscle too ...

We have a new gym here but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet; I'm doing walking, stretches, toning, chair aerobics, hand weights, and stretchie band work, varying it each day.

Have a great day ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
:wave: HELLO FRIENDS ~ we were blessed with gorgeous :sunny: all morning; then clouds rolled in for the afternoon and the temps plummeted. We had some new visitors at our big feeder today -- about 13 big & beautiful Rock Doves, plus 2 Woodpeckers, a bunch of mixed Sparrows, and a huge flock of Starlings all vying for the same spots ... it was so fun to watch.

My bird book says that Rock Doves won't go on or in a feeder, but they sure went into ours; DH made it so big that even they can fit in it, but they were having a time trying to figure out how to get in there and then they played this game where they chased others out ... very funny!

Have been taking it easy today; did laundry yesterday, and today doing hand mending while resting my body as it has been thru the wringer this week. Had a good, on track and on plan day so far. Having leftover spagetti with meat sauce that I had frozen in individual containers for dinner tonight; and may have a baby cucumber salad along with that too.

Hope you all have a great day ... :hug:

2b125by46
11-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I spent yesterday in class all day for a Security course. I passed the final exam and recieved my certificate and had my picture taken recieving the certificate. I also finally recieved my certificate from a course I took in Gravenhurst last year. I spent a week up there at the end of sept '08 taking this course. Apparently my boss in Security doesn't like just handing over certificates he like to present them cerimonially.

I have had a good day today. food wise. I am trying to figure out supper right now. I feel like I am off my planning game lately.

Ruthxxx
11-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Good morning - **** in the forecast tonight but it looks like that will give the go ahead to Indian summer. It's always after the last fall full moon and the first snow.

Rosebud, I have no trouble doing 90 minutes in the gym when half of it is treadmill - in two sessions. I do ball work, resistance on the machines and free weights. It's a workout but I feel soooo good afterwards. Thanks for the reminder re the bird feeder. I spotted some cardinals yesterday and that reminded me a bit too.

2b125, congratulations on finally getting your certificate. Silly boss! I don't seem able to manage the elliptical at the gym. The so-called "fixed" knee has problems. I will persevere though as I know it gives a much better and faster workout than the treadmill which I find very boring.

Time to give the house a bit of a tidying so Donna can clean. That sounds silly but she does a better job if she doesn't have to clean around papers and things like that on my desk.

Canadian Things To Do Today:
- put the summer tires into the barn until April
- fill and hang the bird feeder
- check out the plough guy in case he's not doing my lane this winter :yikes:
- drain and stash the hoses
- find the outside lights and decorations - Did I throw them out last year?
- cover the AC
- have a cup of cranberry tea when it starts to get dark out there :lol:

If I get that all done, I'll feel ready for winter.

Judy Lynn
11-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone! Another Canadian checking in! No s**w here today, the high is supposed to be 17! Wierd!

I have been back on track since the end of April and have lost 28 pounds. I am just counting calories. I was walking during the summer before work in the morning, but once the mornings got too dark, I just fell off the exercise wagon. We are on vacation next week, but once we get back I am going to get back to exercising one way or another.

We are going to Cancun next week, and there is a tropical storm (Ida) headed that way. Hope it doesn't materialize!

Well, I'll check back in when we get back.

Ruthxxx
11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
I am sooo envious! My cleaning woman just told me that she is going to Cuba for three weeks in January. I have such an urge to book something but really can't afford it as we're doing Disney in March.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
:comp: I can sure tell this is a CANADIAN thread -- all this talk of trips south!!! :lol: Just like Canadians wanting to escape the snow and winter, but not me ... :dance: I'm stayin' home and hybernating! Honestly though, I don't have the health to travel anyways.

:welcome: JUDY LYNN ~ glad you joined us here on our Canadian thread; have a wonderful trip, and see you when you get back ... :beach:

2b ~ I have 7-day weekly menu on the side of my fridge that I can see at a glance to give me some ideas for dinner on any given day. I find this really helpful for me ...

SUNDAY ~ Roasted or Deli CHICKEN OR other Roast (beef or pork)
MONDAY ~ pork chops or steak; or shepherd's pie
TUESDAY ~ leftovers; fish or chicken
WEDNESDAY ~ spagetti & meatballs; or pasta of some type
THURSDAY ~ Fish & chips; fish & rice bake; or Chicken
FRIDAY ~ pita pizzas, or hamburgers, or take-in
SATURDAY ~ sausages, beans, or superdogs, or optional

Subs ~ cabbage rolls, hamburger steak & onions, creole patties, chicken & ribs, casseroles, beef or chicken stew, meatloaf, omelettes, meatless, homemade soup or cassoulet, or chinese, etc.

RUTH ~ I can tell you live down south becuz most of the things on your list we had to do the last half of October becuz we know the snow flies in November, but it's still pretty light yet.

Hope you all have a FABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow ... Rosebud :hug:

AR4life
11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Another Canadian checking in :) I've survived the parent teacher interviews yesterday and today, whoo! The parents were all supportive thank goodness.
Rain and wind here, I'm wondering if the dogs really need to go out tonight? I know they want to...lol....and I need the walk.....hmmmm.......
Nice to meet you.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
:welcome3: AR4life ~ oh, your bougie is sooooo cute; I want one, I want one! :lol: But first, I would have to convince DH that we could handle a second furry baby -- he's a pooper and says that the one we have is enuff work for us. I think he's becoming an old fuddledud ... don't worry, he says as much himself! ;)

Well, we have been blessed with gorgeous :sunny: this afternoon and it has warmed the temps up as well. We spent the morning rearranging furniture in our livingroom for Christmas; yah, I am an earlybird, but I really just wanted our front window free so I could sit there in my rocking chair and watch my birdies go to and fro ... :D

Hope all you ladies have a wonderful Weekend; take care ... Rosebud:hug:

2b125by46
11-07-2009, 12:13 AM
They were talking about this new website called www.weightmirror.com where you can up load a picture of yourself and your weight now and then you move this slider to how much weight you want to lose,(max of -75 lbs) and then it will do a picture rendering of you with the loss. I tried it, very cool.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
:wave: HEY FELLOW CANUCKS ~ a bit dull and gray out there today; but the sun is promised for tomorrow -- hope they are right! Just having a quiet day at home resting while my mouth and body heals a bit.

2b -- ya, that sounds fun; they are showing all kinds of cartoon sites that will transform any picture ouf yourself too -- they must be becoming popular as you see them everywhere now.

Hope you all have a super Saturday Night; and take good care ... Rosebud:hug:

Ruthxxx
11-07-2009, 05:21 PM
It's been too darned cold to do the things on my list in October. It looks like tomorrow will be a bit more reasonable so I'll tackle that stuff after Church.

There was an all-family yard sale at the Legion Hall here this morning. What a lot of packing, hailing and unpacking for a measly $50 or so! The good thing is that some of the other families donated their leftovers to my Church for our May long weekend sale.

I'm tired, have a cold and feel chilly so am going to have a fire in the woodstove, a pasta comfort supper and head to bed early. Winter is a'comin' in!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-07-2009, 10:22 PM
... so am going to have a fire in the woodstove, a pasta comfort supper and head to bed early.

RUTH ~ oh, that sounds nice -- I so want my own fireplace but we rent here, so I'd have to get one of those electric ones with the heater and pretty realistic looking flame ... hmmm ... :chin:

AR4life
11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome Rosebud :)

Actually I have 3 dogs, couldn't fit them all on my avatar.....hehe

Rain and wind this morning then voila......sunshine, what a beautiful fall day it turned out to be.

I had the oil changed in my little car and it's going away for the winter, put in a gas stabilizer and put the battery on trickle. She doesn't like the cold and rain much...lol.

Have a wonderful Sunday :D

SweetScrumptious
11-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Canadian here - Kelowna, BC! Prob moving to Burnaby by the beginning of next summer :)

Ruthxxx
11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi West Coasters and :welcome: to this group.

Well, I went to the Remembrance Day service in our village today and it was a beautiful day to sit under the trees for the ceremony. We always hold it the Sunday before Nov. 11 and it's usually cold and wet. Half the seniors come down with colds and blame it on that! I went back to the Legion for a tea and some sandwiches and then came home to blow leaves from the lane. It was just gorgeous out there. I just came in now after having a cup of tea on the front porch and watching the sunset. I hope your days were as good.

elaine19
11-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello Canucks!! I joined this week and I am so happy to find other Canadians here, wuith their own thread no less:) I decided on Oct.28th that I am done with being overweight, and thinking about it all the time, so here I am. I am loving this site! and I am looking forward to getting my own ticker, they look so neat:) have to go, my son is in a play at church and the practise is in 15 mins... chat soon

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
:wel3fc: SWEETSCRUMPTIOUS and ELAINE ~ glad you both found us; yes, it's nice that we can come here to chat a wee bit with other Canadians ...

We had the nicest day today ... full :sunny: for the entire day; I got up early to watch the sun rise and we went for a drive to our lot to check on things (our camper etc) and to bring a few things home; just to close things up for the year and it was glorious weather today. We went for a walk while we were out there too and chatted with one of the neighbours awhile too.

Hope you all have a MARVELLOUS MONDAY tomorrow ... :hug:

AR4life
11-09-2009, 12:13 AM
It's so wonderful to have the family together for Sunday dinner. I don't mind doing the cooking and hosting.
Have a great week!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
:wave: HI FOLKS ~ Woke up to :rain: this AM, but it stopped by this afternoon, so we went up town to pick up a few things. They had some bargains on veggies, fruit, and meat today -- fall is a great time to pick up good deals! It was fairly busy up town for a Monday: must have been all the sales. ;)

So I got a bit of walking in today as well! Kudos for that and made a nice pot of veggie soup for lunch from leftovers again ... yum! Time to put dinner on -- something with lean ground beef ... hmmm ... :chin:

Have a great evening; and hope you all have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow too ... Rosebud :hug:

elaine19
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
It is beautiful here today!! I can't believe that I am writing Christmas cards and the weather is so lovely:) anyway, just wanted to touch base and see how everyone is doing, are you staying on track? I am doing well food wise, now I have to try harder at the working out. Anyway, glad to be able to chat with other canucks, eh?

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
:wave: HI THERE ~ We had another day of gorgeous :sunny: today. Had to go pick up DH's new glasses, then we decided to go for a drive in the country to a favorite lake as it is so pretty with the sun shining on it; and it was very nice. Gotta take advantage of these lovely days when we gottem' ...

ELAINE ~ wow, you are early getting your cards out; I haven't started just yet but I hope to have them out before December. We are so grateful for the lovely weather we are getting this week, becuz it had seemed like fall had passed us by this year, but this makes up for it! Lovely stars out there the last two nights; so close it almost seems like you could touch them! :D

Had a good OP day yesterday and today; had that homemade veggie-bean soup for lunch again today. Last night, we had hamburger steak & onions with new potatoes (with skins on), veggies, and coleslaw. Tonight, we just had Chicken franks and beans as we weren't that hungry. Got some walking in this week, and am very glad of that.

Hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday tomorrow ... Rosebud

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
:wave: HELLO FELLOW CANUCKS ~ We had another lovely :sunny: day today, so we took advantage of that and spent a good part of the day on our deck hanging our Christmas decos. This way they are now up and we don't have do put them up during a blizzard or anything like that ... Got lots of walking in today too (back and forth; back and forth)! :lol:

Today is our pasta day also, so I made a lovely Bolognese sauce with Penne and it was yummy. Have 4 dishes leftover over for another dinner and maybe a couple of lunches: into the freezer they go for a day when I don't feel like cookin' ... :D

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow ... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
This is my favorite Remembrance Day Poem/song. As you all should know, the author was a Canadian soldier who came from the city I went to high school in -- Guelph, Ontario; and I even like to sing it sometimes ...

IN FLANDERS FIELDS by John McCrae (1872-1918)

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago.
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
... In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die --
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
... In Flanders fields.

AR4life
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
It's my favourite also Rosebud.
My Grandpa was in WW1 and dad was in WW2. Neither of them spoke about the war. Dad was in the RCAF.
Brave men and women all, lest we forget.....................

elaine19
11-12-2009, 01:06 AM
I found out today from my grandmother that my great grandfather fought at Vimy Ridge, and another great- great grandfather fought on the Plains of Abraham.... I am 37 years old and I had no idea that I had men in my family that fought and were wounded for my freedom. I have always been grateful to those in the military, but now I feel a bit more connected. And truly proud to be Canadian!!

Ruthxxx
11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I can't remember a Remembrance Day when it wasn't cold and wet but yesterday was great! I guess we are now in Indian Summer and, IMHO, we deserve it after a cold and soggy October. October is usually my second favourite month (after May) but this year it was a wash - in more ways than one!

Later this month I am visiting a 3FC friend in the States to celebrate American Thanksgiving and am starting to realize I need to get my Christmas stuff organized. My DD is in Nanaimo and it sure would be a relief to get her family gifts mailed out before I go. Somehow I think it would be cheaper to mail them from the States but getting through security would be a hassle. I had to open a wrapped gift once.

I know it's early but I'm going to take advantage of the sunshine today to get the lights and garlands onto the front porch. No turning on until December though. When do you decorate and light up? Around here some folks are already on it!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Gee, I tried to get in here all day and couldn't for some unknown reason; others had the same problem. Finally got creative and got in by coming in on an old thread directly ... :shrug:

RUTH ~ we put up our outdoor Christmas decos yesterday for the same reason you want to; the great weather. We had :sunny: all day yesterday (three days in a row; four if you count part of today too), so it was the perfect time to do it. We won't be turning them on until December 1st thought to save on hydro, of course (as I'm doing great keepin' our bills down and want to keep it that way) ... ;)

Had another busy day today; did some more sorting of our spare room and tossed out 3 boxes today. The room is half empty now and that is with all our Christmas boxes in there too, so we are almost done ... yeah! :carrot:

We really had to downsize when we moved here last year, but it was so rushed that we just packed and moved, so we have been spending the last year unpacking and sorting and donating the good stuff and tossing the junk as well. Couldn't believe how much we had accumulated over 16.5 years; way too much, that's how much ... :lol:

We had nice wild pacific salmon with mixed rice and french style green beans for dinner and it was very nice; poached the fish in lite Ceasar dressing and it was yummy. So I got lots of walking and exercise for today as well. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-14-2009, 10:10 PM
:wave: Well, I wasn't the only one who couldn't get in here since Thursday, but the site it back up and so far, it seems to be running smoothly ... yeah for that! :carrot:

Actually, I had a quiet day at home, as we awoke to :rain: this AM, but the sun did try to peak out a few times. I chatted with a lot of family and a friend today; and had a very restful day.

We had homemade ww Pita Pizzas for dinner tonight; this one of my all-time favorites as I just love, love, love pizza, and this is a much lighter version but just as yummy!

Hope you all are having a great weekend too; take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

elaine19
11-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Rosebud, have you been married for 16 years? I have too:) anyway, I am still raking my lawn, and have not yet gotten out one holiday decoration... but I am almost finished my shopping only 2 people left to buy for:)!!! yeh!!
hope you have a great , peaceful weekend!

Judy Lynn
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone! We are back from vacation, and while it was lovely, it is so nice to be home. The weather was hot most of the time, and it was nice to have a bit of summer in November.

Well, back to work tomorrow, and I just have to get back to exercising. I think DH and I may get a treadmill and I will give up my gym membership. Might as well, as I don't use it anyway.

We get delivery of our new couch and chair this week, just have to arrange a time when one of us can be home during the day. We special ordered it about 3 months ago, so I hope it is nice. We've waited so long I can't even remember the fabric we picked it out.

Well, have a good Sunday evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
JUDY LYNN ~ welcome back; we have been fortunate here as we still don't have any ***** on the ground; what we did get all melted. :carrot:

ELAINE ~ actually, we have been married since June 1989, so that's 20+ years. We had lived in our previous place for 16.5 years of that, and had accumulated way too much stuff, so we have been downsizing bigtime. :lol:

We had a funny mixed bag of weather today; some :sunny: and some :rain: and some ***** and some ~~~~~ (that's big winds) ... it couldn't make up it's mind ...

We just had a relaxed day today, as I decided to take it easy after such a busy week as my legs were a bit tired. Hope you all have a superbly peaceful and restful Sunday evening too .... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
:wave: We had the most beautiful day today. We had :sunny: all day long. We just did stuff around the house this AM, then we decided to do a bit of Christmas shopping and then we went for a ride to a few of our favorite lakes. It was a glorious day ... just way too nice to stay indoors. We got home just as the sun was getting ready to set ...

We found another small ornament to put on our front deck becuz we had one space that was a bit empty. We found an adorable shovel with penquins on it that will look great beside our moose-reigndeer. I also got some lovely snowflake stickies for our front window and a few sparkly snowflakes for our little Christmas tree too.

Made a nice cassoulet bean pot for lunch with some leftover roast pork and veggies from Sunday; and had sole fish for dinner. Got lots of walking in at the store (did this on purpose), then we went for our lovely drive.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow; and take good care of yourselves too ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Judy Lynn
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Rosebud, sounds like you had a really nice day. You must be retired. I wish I could retire, or even work part time, but we really can't afford it. My job is so boring, some days (like yesterday) just seem endless.

We are supposed to have a high of 7 degrees here today. I may go for a walk on my lunch hour if it isn't too windy. Yesterday the wind was howling something fierce!

Well, off to get ready for the day. Have a great day everyone!

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
:wave: HELLO FRIENDS ~ we also have gorgeous weather here right now; it seems our fall has finally arrived, and what a blessing it is. We put up some snowflakes in our front window yesterday afternoon, and they look so pretty -- they are a very inexpensive decoration, yet they look so lovely (only $2.99 or less for a sheet of 12) from our local hardware store.

JUDY LYNN ~ Yes, we both used to work, but retired (at different times) due to health problems (DH is a fair bit older than I am too). I often advise young people now to put some of their income away (in savings), becuz we just never know what health problems may sneak up on us as we get older.

Do you have any ***** (aka snow) out there yet? I see that they do have some in the mountains in BC already, or did they make that with machines? :chin: I read today that they opened up the ski runs early in preparation for the Winter Olympics which will be held there soon. Will have to keep our eyes peeled for that, eh ...

Hope all our fellow Canadians are having as wonderful weather as we are ... Rosebud :hug:

AR4life
11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
We had a nice morning and then back to rain and some wind. Typical November weather. :)

No snow here but the mountains are covered and doing well already. Hopefully it holds till Feb for the Olympics.

Not sure if I'm ready to start decorating yet, I may put mini lights up on my door at school. That would be a beginning ;)

Have a great Friday :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-20-2009, 04:35 PM
AR4LIFE ~ we had planned to start early this year to take advantage of the nice weather; we and many, many others put our lights up the last weekend of October becuz we know how cold and icy it can get here normally. This year, we are being blessed with nice mild weather after having 2 snowstorms in October; that all melted and it's all green (well, yellow & green) out there. :lol:

Ya, I hope you do put some lights up; I just love Christmas, can you tell? I like to have everything up by December 1st; and many others in our town do the same. We are celebrating the 100th anniversary of our town next year so they want people to go all out with lights and stuff to get ready for that. We have lots of extra lights, so I'll see if DH wants to donate some for the town too.

We spent the morning trying to decide where to put our Christmas tree; we decided to put it beside the piano this year, as it looks great there. That way I can keep my rocking chair by the front window to look out and see all the pretty lights, and my birdies, and any other activities out there ... ;)

I am still trying to decide what to have for dinner tonight; will be a romaine salad and something ... it is supposed to be cook's night off, so we'll see. :lol: Hope you all have a fantabulous Friday night ... Rosebud :hug:

2b125by46
11-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I was going through some internet history when I saw the website for this page and realized I hadn't been here in a while. I have read all the posts since I was here last to get caught up with all the goings on.

I have been ok with plan but not so much with exercise. I have been having some issues with my DH. So I am trying not to emotionally eat. If I had the money I think I would change my address but then again I have DS to think about too.

I applied for a new job within the company that is full time work so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I saw a big conversation about Xmas lights and decor. I am not a big fan of this time of year and would be quite happy going through the days without any fuss. I keep hoping that no one puts up any decor until 7 days before Dec. 25. Although on Wednesday past putting up the tree was mentioned and then forgotten, I hope.

The boys are having pizza tonight I will probably cook a steak.

Hope all of you are well on this fine Friday evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-21-2009, 08:38 PM
2B ~ sorry to hear that you are having some marital issues, but congrats to you for not soothing your emotions with food; that is something we all have to practice and the more we do it, the easier it will be (or so they say; lol). I wish I could send you some Christmas Spirit (especially for your children's sake); maybe I can pray some your way ... :hug:

I spent Friday night and this AM decorating my little 4' tree; and it looks lovely. I have to say that we really go all out at Christmas becuz we really believe in the LOVE and JOY of the season; and the true meaning behind it. We take that seriously, but also in a very fun and upbeat way.

I bought some fun comedy Christmas movies, plus one realistic adaptation of the Nativity story from the bible to put under our tree. We do limit how much we spend though; limited to 3 gifts each and one stocking; which is a family tradition that my parents started when we were children. We get one bigger gift, and 2 smaller ones; but we are very blessed, and there really isn't much we need, so it's really just to bless others.

We had a nice day today; we didn't quite get the weather that was predicted, but the :sunny: did peak out a bit this afternoon. I put on the last of my ornaments on our Christmas tree last night and this AM; now all we have to do is the wall decos and that won't take long. We had company for the afternoon; and we had a very nice visit with friends.

After a busy day, put my legs up until suppertime. Had fish & baked homefries for dinner (I had sweet potato ones and DH had the regular); plus I had a romaine salad with mine. Got some exercise in this AM, and ate well today (kudos for that).

Hope all our fellow Canadians out there have a restful weekend; and do take good care too ... ROSEBUD :hug:

carrie77
11-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Hello from Ontario!!

Nice to see this thread here. I'm a single mom who works full-time, my weight loss has been through calorie counting and cardio 5x per week for 40 min. After I lose a bit more I plan to add in weight training.

I look forward to posting in the thread. Hi everybody! :)

AR4life
11-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Carrie :)

Rosebud you are so ahead of me on the Christmas front. It's nice to hear about other's Christmas traditions. :)

I went to get my tree from mom's but dad had a fall :( and his chemo was extra strong so I just sat with him. It's hard to see him so weak, I hope tomorrow he is stronger and mom can get some rest. Getting old is no fun when stuff like this happens.

I will go back tomorrow, hopefully get my tree and tell my dad again how much I love him.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Judy Lynn
11-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi fellow Canadians! :wave:

Didn't get much done around the house yesterday as DH was out of town, so I decided to do some shopping and relaxing. Today will be busy to make up for it. Need to get some housework done and rearrange some furniture in the basement to make room for our old couch & chair. We got new furniture this week, and the old couch has spent half the week in the kitchen!

Planning to make stuffed salmon from Costco for dinner. Yum!

We usually put up our tree about a week before Christmas. I used to get very stressed about Christmas, but now I try to downscale it. Our two sons live in Toronto now, and both will be home for Christmas, but the oldest has to be on call on Christmas Day, so he won't be flying home until late that night. We will probably drive up to Calgary after dinner and get a hotel and pick him up from the airport. He had to do the same thing last year. It is kind of a double whammy because it is also his birthday on Christmas Day.

ARlife, sorry about your Dad. :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
:welcome: CARRIE ~ nice to have you join us on our Canadian thread; the more the merrier, I say. ;) What kind of cardio are you doing?

JUDY-LYNN ~ when the cat's away, the mouse will play ... :lol: Glad you got some shopping in: that's so much more fun anyways! ;) It's nice that both your sons will be able to be home sometime during the season.

AR4LIFE ~ Will send up some prayers for your DAD for comfort and strength, and peace for all your family during this trying time. We've had a lot of cancer in our family too. :hug:

We had a lovely :sunny: day; went for a nice drive in the country for the afternoon, and came home to a nice roasted chicken dinner (I cheated and let it bake while we were gone). Hope you all have a Marvellous Monday tomorrow ... Rosebud:hug:

AR4life
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Thankyou for the hugs :hug:

I made a lasagna with a huge salad to go with it. The kids came over for dinner, Sunday is family day :D

Stopped raining and it actually brightened up a bit throughout the day.
Tree is up, just with the lights. I won't decorate till Dec 1st.

I bought mom a tree complete with flowers and decorations, a topiary from costco today. She loved it and is so happy not to have to do up her own tree this year. Dad is fighting hard, he looked a bit stronger today. He's a trooper.

Have a wonderful week :hug:

2b125by46
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Drum roll please........I completed 30 min on the elliptical trainer just now!!!!!!!!!! for the first time.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
2b ~ :congrat: to you on doing 30 minutes on your elliptical machine. I was gonna try to give you a :cheer: but the [More] wouldn't work for me so we'll see what we get with that ... ;) (goin' on memory)

AR4LIFE ~ that sounds wonderful; family sunday dinner with the kids (my sister does that with hers too). We had a nice Sunday dinner too, but we just have one furry kid, our NIKO, and he got some too! (Leftovers, that is; we always share with him, cuz he's our boy!)

Just had a quiet day at home; doing stuff around here. Decided to put my legs up more today as I was on them a lot over the weekend. I have a sore on my right front shin but it is starting to look a lot better; we are praying that it will be totally healed real soon ...

Hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY TOMORROW!!! Rosebud:hug:

Judy Lynn
11-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Way to go 2B! You are sure doing way better than me in the exercise dept. Still debating whether to get a treadmill. I would hate to spend all that money and have it sit unused.

Just another SOSO day here at work. Going for my H1N1 shot after work today. Then have to go to my neice's dance review tonight. It doesn't start until 8:00 p.m. :yawn: Hope it is only an hour.

Looking forward to going to the "So You Think You Can Dance" tour here on Sunday. One of our local girls won, so it should be fun.

Have a great day!

2b125by46
11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
JudyLynn I would kill for a treadmill. I love them. I have an elliptical b/c my MIL moved to a smaller place and it was hers. I don't really like it.

My suggestion is go to a gym and get a free trial week or day then use all the equipment they have test the treadmills the ellipticals the rowers the steppers. Once you have tested everything decide which piece you liked best and consider getting the same or something similar. If its going to a class you like more then maybe buying equipment is not for you.

I would trade all my equipment I have for a treadmill right now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-24-2009, 04:27 PM
JUDY-LYNN ~ I know so many people that have treadmills that are being used as clothes hangers and/or livingspace ornaments. I would definitely go to a gym for a trial period and try all the equipment first, just like 2b says. That is the best way to make sure you don't waste your money like so many others have done (including myself).

2b ~ I just donated my deluxe electronic treadmill to charity; they auctioned it off and used the money for a very worthy cause. I couldn't use it -- as it was too fast for someone like me who had bad legs and knees. I also had a recumbant bike and a duel exercycle; and I donated them too. The only machine that I am able to use is my deluxe rowing machine which a friend of DH's gave me (GOD bless him).

Honestly, I am finding that the very best exercise is free and doesn't need a membership to a gym or any special equipment: and that is WALKING!!! I picked myself up a second-hand pair of ski-poles and now I do trekking from spring to fall; and ski or nordic walking in the wintertime. I go when I feel good and rest in between ...

We are starting to feel the cold here, but we still don't have any ***** though. Made a nice pot of chicken & dumpling & veggie soup for lunch today: just the right thing for DH who has a cold and for me, for good healthy eating. Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY! Rosebud:hug:

tricia80
11-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi ladies i am new to the site and am using Herbal Magic for weight loss.. I have tried absolutely everything else and its not working..

I will start doing exercise once i get rid of this cold.. right now walking up the 3 flights of stairs to my apt is killing me because of the congestion...

Thats probably about it right now.. just thought i would pop in.. today was a very very foggy day... but no snow.. we already had some at the beginning of Nov but nothing since..

Judy Lynn
11-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Here is the thing ... I have a gym membership. I am almost embarassed to admit it, but I have been paying for it forever - and not using it. Well, I should clairfy, for the first couple of years I used it religiously 5 days a week before work. But at that time I started at 9:00. Now I start at 8:00 and I just can't motivate myself to leave early enough in the morning.

I am afraid of it becoming a clothes hangar, just like our exercise bike. I just don't know what to do ...

AR4life
11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I have a treadmill being used as a blanket holder :o

I walk the 3 dogs now, I like being outside even in the rain..............

Still wondering if I'll be getting the H1N1 shot or the reg flu shot.

2b125by46
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
elaine19, I recieved your message but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the replies yet. I just wanted you to know that I am not rude and ignoring you.

All is going well.

CanadianCutie
11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello Fellow Canadians!!! Thanks for the invite to the thread. I can't believe it's only a month til Christmas. It seems so close, and of course as a kid it seemed so far away.

RealCdn
11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I should say hello as well. I've been around for quite a while, and I was probably even on an old version of this thread. I just do the pop in and post thing usually. I'm back in college and the moment and pretty much avoiding studying for finals that start in .... 10 days! (yikes)

I'm also a treadmill owner. It gets little use in the spring/summer/fall as I've found that I prefer going outside. Now that our weather is getting worse though I've been on it once or twice and once exams are over I'll get into a routine. Right now it has my towel on it (one I use when using it), a big sweater, a looped exercise band that I've been using for woodchops, and my swiss ball is stuffed between it and the couch. I just have little to no room down here. When we start using the fireplace regularly I have to lift the adjustable dumbbells and they sit under the treadmill when the fire is on (the TM folds up).

2b125by46
11-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Why is it that when there is a really good sale on you have no money. Walmart have treadmills on sale for 398.00 with taxes it would be 449.74. My pay would cover the amount if I didn't have to pay hydro and other bills. Its a Sat. and Sun. sale.

RealCdn
11-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Agreed. I remember years ago having no money and tons of space. Then I went to having plenty of money and no space. Now I simply have no space and no money. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-26-2009, 08:01 PM
:welcome: to our new additions as well to some of our old friends who have joined us once again. I was having trouble getting in here to talk to you as the site has been having a lot of difficulties the last few days. I am also having some problems with my security programs on my own PC so have to find a way to solve them too.

Then if that isn't enuff, our car broke down on DH this afternoon. He went up town this AM to run a couple of errands and hooked up trailer to pick something up and he blew a fuse; he spent all afternoon trying to find it with no success. I had to cancel my dentist apt (oh dang ;)) until next month but it was just for a couple of small fillings anyways.

DH did get his H1N1 flu shot the other day becuz of this age; he still want to get the other one but he had a cold/flu now so they told him to wait a bit. He says he feels better today though. We did a lot of shopping, hence a lot of walking yesterday so my legs and feet are tres sore, so I am resting them today.

We had wild salmon for dinner tonight with salad and veggies too. Time for my evening tea. Take good care ... Rosebud :hug:

tricia80
11-27-2009, 12:06 AM
working night shift last night just about messed me up... especially since they announced layoffs and ppl were stressing...

stress + nurses = junk food..

i would love an elliptical or treadmill but have no space and no money... maybe boxing day sales will be better...

AR4life
11-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Tricia, hard to believe they are laying off nurses :(

Started sneezing today :( runny nose. Took the dogs out just now anyways, bit of a wind but no rain and quite warm out.
Feel better after a walk but still sneezing.
I'd take tomorrow off but I have to get report cards done.
Have a good Friday :hug:

srmb60
11-27-2009, 12:16 AM
I drove home in ... snow! Just falling. Not staying. Hmmm ... I guess it's that time of year.

2b125by46
11-27-2009, 06:09 PM
definition: 1. a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal
3. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field

I was watching last night Larry King Live doing his hero segmants and was trying to think of my heros and realized I don't really have any other than my grandmother. She stayed in a marriage that for a lot of years really sucked before it got better and I have been doing that too. Right now we are still going through the suck parts but I am hope every day it will get better.

I don't have any weight loss heros. I admire a few of the biggest loser girls that lost weight but don't use them as heros.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-28-2009, 12:28 AM
:wave: HI SUSANB -- nice to see so many of our old friends join us here again; we awoke to 4 inches of nice big fluffy snow ***** and it continued to fall on and off all day; so far, it's still here but we are much farther north (the roads did melt though). The trees look so pretty and the branches are hanging heavy but the birdies are lovin' that as a good place to play.

2b ~ I'll play ... my biggest hero is JESUS CHRIST: always has been and likely always will be; hmmm ... trying to think of a woman hero would likely have to be my mother and grandmother. My mother saved me from drowning when I was toddler and my grandma saved me on a bad fall down a flight of stairs in my early 20's; I remember both incidents like it was yesterday.

Tricia ~ here they are hiring nurses; esp for hospitals and the Red Cross right now ...

Well, the car is running again; it was the gear fuse like we thought, but we will have to pay for a house call as DH couldn't see well enuff to find the fuse. Now the brakes lights don't work so that is likely another fuse so I will help him tomorrow becuz I can see better than him; oh -- the joys of aging ... :lol:

Hope you all have a restful and relaxing weekend ... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-29-2009, 03:32 PM
:wave: Hope all our Canadian friends are keepin' warm today. We got our car fixed up now: one fuse was in the wrong place so the brake lights are OK now, and the windshield wipers fuse had to be replaced. So we're good to go again ... :lol:

We had a bit of ***** this AM, but it has stopped for now; had lots of doves and other birdies at our big feeder today. I just love to watch them watch us ... the rock doves keep looking for us to bring out more food! ;)

Hope you all have a peaceful day, and a marvellous Monday tomorrow ... Rosebud :hug:

AR4life
11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Had a nice rain free day today, warmish too :)
Got the Christmas lights up and started some shopping.

Kids came for dinner, it was all tasty.

Bought a huge bag of bird seed today and filled the bird feeder in the back yard, fun to watch the little ones flit about.

My geraniums and fushia are blooming like crazy still and I have Christmas lights up......confusing ......lol

tricia80
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Justwant2behealthy - where do u live? pretty much all of ontario has a huge deficit and the govt aint helping cuz they have no $$$ I am looking at going up to northern northern ontario for the experience... I am an RPN so i keep waiting for a position to pop up...

I would love to go to Nunavut and NWT though.. that would be awesome for a year...

anyways i weighed in today at the HM centre and in one week i am down 7.2lbs... and i am starting to make healthier decisions even if i do eat the naughty food.. Yesterday i had trifle but i kept it to a minimum and didn't go back for 2nd and 3rds like i would of done before and didn't stuff myself til i was ready to explode... Sunday dinners are gonna be the death of me...

anyways i have to kick this cough.. so back to bed i go... i wish i wasn't soooo tired...

2b125by46
11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Start Diet to Lose Weight: December: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th

Best Days Explained...

According to Farmers' Almanac tradition, when the moon is in the appropriate phase and place in the zodiac, it's widely believed that activities will be more fruitful or lead to improved results. The period between the new and full moon (first and second quarters) is considered as the best time to perform tasks that require strength, fertility and growth. The period between the full and new moon (third and fourth quarters) is best for harvesting, ******ing growth, etc. Consideration is also given to the relationship the moon has with the 12 ruling signs of the zodiac.

SnowboundChick
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello All! Thanks for the invite.

I'm Donna, mom to 3 boys (ages almost 3 to 8)and married. I'm up in the Yukon and we have lots of snow. It's about -15C today, not too bad but I'm finding I'm always cold this winter and not getting much exercise. I have a treadmill but it's second hand from a friend and it's loud and just not made for my weight. We have an elliptical as well. We are trying to get outside with the kids as much as possible before it gets too cold. We've gone on walks and tobogganing a few times so far, they love it!

2b125by46
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Snowbound, So glad to have you. I spent 10 days in the Artic on a student exchange trip back in April 1982 and I remember spending one night in an igloo during -50C with chill factor, I thought that was hard. I could not imagine living an entire winter with those temps. My hat is off to you.

Where in the Yukon are you exactly. I like to watch the different areas of where we live on the weather channel. It will be a new place for me to watch for.

SnowboundChick
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm in Dawson City. We are having an unusually warm and mild winter so far we haven't even reached -30 yet. I'm sure it won't last two much longer. Last winter we had unprecedented zero and rain in January and then plunged back down to -40, it was insane and I was traveling at the time. It's a 6-8 hour drive to Whitehorse depending on the weather and since I was traveling home with my son who just had surgery it was a 9 hour drive, just him and my brother and me.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
:welcome: DONNA ~ so glad you joined us here; I kept telling my DH that I know there are lots of Canadians on this site, we just have to find them again ... have you ever tried SKI-WALKING (sometimes called Nordic walking)? I love it -- as I have Spina Bifida which makes walking in snow and sand very difficult. My ski poles have been a God-send; they help me walk so much easier and I can go further and faster with a whole body workout too. This is becoming a hugely popular personal sport here; I see people out walking with poles summer and winter now ...

TRICIA ~ I live up north in the Timmins area: I actually live in a small village outside of Timmins, but if you check the northern job posts, I'm sure you'll find them for our town (and if you want my actual town, I will PM you). I think the northern part of the province is always looking for professionals like yourself; we have a hard time getting people to come up here, but it is so nice here. So do check it out!

We had a busy day shopping; lots of walking and had a lovely Spit BBQ chicken dinner tonight with coleslaw. Just a wee sprinkle of ***** snow here and our temps are around 0C right now, going a few degrees less during the night maybe; not too bad really and a mild winter so far for us too (we just got steady snow this week).

Take good care, and hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY tomorrow ... Rosebud:hug:

tricia80
11-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Rosebud - hmm i will have to PM you..

My ultimate goal is to go up to Yukon, NWT or Nunavut to work for a year. I think it would be awesome and a new experience. I am still doing my BScN through athabasca university but that will take years to finish.

Donna - welcome to the group!!!

2b125by46
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Interviewing today for new fulltime position within the company. Wish me luck.

SnowboundChick
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Rosebud, no I've never tried Ski-Walking, there are a few people around here that do it. Something I will have to look into. Thanks.

I was born and raised in this very town. I got out for school but this is my forever home, I don't think I will ever leave.

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Doing pretty good today, got a great sleep and eating is going well today. Just finished sipping on my green tea! Gotta stay warm.

tricia80
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Donna can i move in??? any need for LPN's up there.. LOL

Rosebud - i can't pm people and i don't know why.. could be the whole new person thing...

Ok so today i have behaved... and its getting a bit easier.. although i am hungry and waiting... so we shall see.. My water intake has been bad today so i will do my philosphy work and drink drink drink...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
TRICIA ~ you should be able to check jobs postings for any northern town or city all across this country either online or thru MANPOWER or what may now be called the employment human resource centers; I am a bit out of touch as I don't work anymore and I know the feds and province merged to make a new service.

I am in northern Ontario, not the territories. The city of Timmins is the biggest city in the James Bay Frontier, but they are part of a group of hospitals in this region that have job postings year-round; but you should be able to find specific job listings for any of the territories as well. Just go into one of the centers and I'm sure they would be glad to help you out.

BTW, the PM's aren't working right now for anyone; just another glitch that they are working on, I'm sure ... :D

Well, we had a bit more ***** fall last night, but only a couple of inches. We had a busy day here hunting down decorations, and our timer for our outdoor lights; caught up on my laundry; and was on my feet a bit too much today so it's time for a rest now ...

Take good care ladies; and yes, do keep nice and warm up there, DONNA ... and everyone else too! Rosebud :hug:

tricia80
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a friend in Timmins.. See that is just that much closer to the North for me.. I am currently waiting for stuff to open up in Kapskasing (sp?)

I have all the websites for the government of yukon, NWT and nunavut on my computer.. I am just waiting for a call back.. No one wants a southwestern ontario lady.. LOL..

Oh well i need to make it through this stupid Philosphy course.. I hate hate hate hate it...

tricia80
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Interviewing today for new fulltime position within the company. Wish me luck.

Good Luck!!!!!!! :D

CeeJay
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Hello Canadians!!

Thanks for the invite. I live in rural Manitoba, born and raised in Ontario though.

We have had awesome weather all of November and that made getting out and walking a real pleasure.

Snow tomorrow- sort of looking forward to it, but then again driving on icy highways is never a good time.

Nice to see Donna from the Yukon here. She can keep us in line when we start moaning about the cold. :lol::lol::lol:

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
TRICIA ~ Yes, Kapaskasing (or Kap for short here) is a nice city too; it is a bit smaller than Timmins -- around 20,000 population maybe (including catchment area). While it is true that more northern towns are giving preference to northern students, most will hire southeners who have the right qualifications. Don't forget we do have nursing colleges up here; one right in Timmins (South Porcupine Campus) so they do have a pool to choose from as well. Just keep looking and applying though, becuz you just never know when a place further north might come open ...

2b ~ yes, sending good thoughts and prayers for your interview as well!

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
:welcome2: CEEJAY ~ it can get pretty cold up here too, but DONNA does indeed have the coldest temps for sure. We love to complain about our weather though: it's a national past-time here in Canada. :lol:

tricia80
12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Welcome Ceejay...

Kap has more ppl than my town.. I live in Elmira i think population 12,000

My complaints tonight will not be weather but be all about Philosphy... i hate hate hate it.. and don't understand the stupid sentence i have to evaluate... i even posed it on facebook to get other ppls ideas..

SnowboundChick
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, I really don't have much to complain about up here. I woke up to -5C. It's crazy warm right now. Tomorrow, Hubby and I are heading to Whitehorse, he's getting his 10 year pin for work so we get a free trip and we are doing our Christmas shopping. The three boys are staying behind with my parents! Yay! It'll be like a little honeymoon. We haven't had a night just the two of us in almost 2 years.

I'm not doing so great and not sure why, probably too much salt, yesterday I was 295 and I was all yes! in the right direction and this morning was up to 299. It's a struggle right now and it's very depressing but trying to keep positive. I know I can do this, I've done it before!

Hubby got his new computer yesterday and we had it hooked up but then I couldn't get on the internet with my computer, I have to figure out all the wires again and maybe call my telephone company to see if I have to do anything special with my router.

Water intake not so good and I'm starting to wonder if it's what's giving me headaches, been fighting one for two days now.

Tricia - you wouldn't want to live with me, I have 3 wild boys! I love them to death and they are sweet but still pretty wild. My middle one turns 5 on monday and my youngest will be 3 in a month.

Stay warm everyone!

2b125by46
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I got the job. I start Friday at 4

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
TRICIA ~ gee, I remember when Elmira was smaller than that, but that was a long time ago now (I was born in Orangeville, but lived in and near Guelph until I moved up here to go to college and stayed). Kap is about the same in the city direct, but when you add all the country folk in, then it is a fair bit more (maybe +5000 or so). Southern Ontario has been growing by leaps and bounds over the last 30 years; we couldn't believe the changes the last time we were down there. Have you ever thought of taking holidays to some of the places that you would like to work, then applying in person when you are there? You never know, it might just work.

2b ~ congrats to you for getting the new full-time job; hope it all works out well for you too ...

DONNA ~ that is mild becuz those temps are about the same as ours and we are usually colder here too; we did have some pretty snow all day on and off though. DH can't wait until there's enuff to fully bank the bottom of our house becuz it keeps the cold winds out, makes it feel warmer in here, and keeps our heating bills down too. Like you, I find the transition from fall to winter hard as I feel chilled a lot. I have mini-heaters all over this place: one in the livingroom, one in the bathroom, and one beside my bed; and I have heating pad for back-up now. :lol:

Well, we got all our indoor decos done today; we have it down to only so many (to make it simpler), so it took us only just over an hour, but we put some Christmas music on that I picked up (some Pipe Carols) and we had a good time doing it together. Tomorrow, I need to get at my Christmas cards and gifts, so I can get them out too; that's the last thing I have to do until closer to Christmas time (I think) ...

I did my daily housechores in the AM, so I got some exercise in today with all the walking around doing the decos too. Had a good on plan day. Tonight was pasta night, so we had whole grain spagetti and meatballs.

Hope you all have a great Thursday tomorrow ... ROSEBUD :hug:

tricia80
12-02-2009, 09:20 PM

:bravo: :carrot::carrot::carrot: :congrat:

tricia80
12-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Elmira is growing sooo quickly.. i just moved here from hamilton april 08. I can't take any holidays but i will keep my eyes open... I am awaiting to find out if Grand River is going to lay me off... so we shall see...

snowbound.. trust me my daughter can your boys a run for their money... LOL she is truly a tomboy... she loves the barns at our friends houses and she even goes barefoot in manure... what girl does that... LOL

Judy Lynn
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Way to go 2b! Good luck tomorrow.

I am doing well, still plugging away with my weight, like we all are. I usually gain every winter, so I am really hoping I can at least maintain this year, then take another run at it next Spring/Summer/Fall.

Well, off to watch Survivor. Have a great TGIF tomorrow everyone!

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Spent the afternoon working on my out-of-town Christmas cards. The temps have plunged here and we had a chilly wind today that made it seem even worse. Put some bread out in our big feeder for the birdies and the Starlings had a ball scouring after it. The chunks froze and would get stuck on their beaks; it was funny watching them try to figure out how to get them off, but they did as they are real thinkers, those Starlings ... :lol:

HOpe you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud:hug:

Ruthxxx
12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry I've not been popping in much - MOD and ADMIN duties plus being away for a week sort of screwed me up.

Today I finally hung the garland and lights on the front porch, the first time it wasn't butt-numbing weather for that December job. No snow yet - what a strange year!

Nice to see new Canadians checking in.

tricia80
12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok so today 2 other ladies and i made 6 pans of squares for a cookie exchange.. and of course i licked the beaters.. u cannot bake and not take a taste.. luckily the squares are at my friends place and I do not have them here tempting me as they take two days before you can cut them... mmmmmmmm i love desserts... that will be the death of me...

Tonight i think i might crash early... i am now just waiting to write finals... and work like crazy next week.. its not gonna be pretty...

I go in for my WI tomorrow and hope all is good... there are locally have a sale tomorrow with 15% off a 1/2 case and %30 (i think) off a case of product.. so i need to determine if i can afford it... LOL

tricia80
12-03-2009, 09:35 PM
oh i have a question...

i compared the HM VH shake mix to another protein mix that i was thinking about and vitaminally and minerally (are those even words) they are equivalent.. the alternative has 30 less calories... so i wonder if i could use them and treat them like a VH shake..

what do you ladies think? i know at HM they will push their product but its $20 more than the one i am looking at through Melaleuca which is where we get some other stuff for the house...

2b125by46
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I say if the cheaper one is good than buy it. I have only found 1 shake product that I like and to buy it I have to travel to the city to get it. Since June that ment a special trip since I wasn't going to the city for any other reason. So I would stock up. I had to consider the pirice of gas into everything. Get what is within you budget.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
TRICIA ~ I agree with 2b; if they are similar and you like them both, then why not buy the cheaper one? Esp if you are on a budget; and who doesn't want or need to save a little money these days ... I buy Vanilla Protein Whey Powder which can be made into a homemade shake or I add some to my milk for my cereal; and I bought it in a large econo jar for a good price at our local drug store -- it will probably last me for months and months ... :lol:

tricia80
12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
thanks for the advice.. thats what i was thinking.. there was minimal differences between the vitamins... so i am thinking it should be about the same... the HM shake though does curb my appetite for like 3-4 hours so if the other one doesn't then i will rethink...

So i ate a hot dog (or two) yesterday with no bun and man i gained .6lbs today.. and i was sooo thirsty when i got up... i wonder if because i have cut back on alot of salt if it was totally the hot dogs fault... i don't buy hot dogs and i was out of the house all day so thats why...

anyways i work 7a-7pm tomorrow.. need to pack my lunch and i am just feeling worn down today... my cough hasn't subsided yet...

2b125by46
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Tricia, Get yourself some Benefil. Add it to your shake for extra fibre. To curb your appetite. Since it is tasteless you can add it to water too.

Hotdogs are very high in sodium that .6 lbs is you retaining water b/c of the sodium in the hotdogs. Drinks lots of water and take some vitamin B6 to get rid of the water.

Judy Lynn
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, we are getting quite the winter snowstorm here. Snow, blowing snow, wind, just yucky. Seems like a good day to hunker down by the fireplace. Oops! We don't have a fireplace. lol! Actually I got out and shovelled for a while and it felt good to be out exercising in the cold, crisp air. Didn't even get the whole driveway done before I powered out. I will leave the rest for DH.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am going to try to venture out to Costco tomorrow and look at the treadmill they have there.

2b125by46
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM
It was a pretty good night not too busy. Got about 5 hours of sleep during the day. I am hoping that will improve as the time goes on. Got my schedule for the first month. After Wed. I will 4 days of then start a 4 days on 4 days off routine 10 hour shifts. Will be going in at 9 pm until 7 am. From the looks of things I will be off xmas morning. When working on a holiday will get Double time & half.

I will be keeping my School Vehicle driving job for a little while but I think after the new year I will give it up b/c I have to be3 able to get enough sleep.

2B

SnowboundChick
12-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Hi Ladies,
Sorry I've been away since Thursday, hubby and I went to Whitehorse for some Christmas shopping and he got his 10 year award for work. Free trip! Wahoo! No kids, another wahoo!! My parents took care of the kids for the two nights we were gone. So Christmas shopping is done. I'm happy about that!

We ate really great, no snacking or fast food but we drank too much pop. We did walk a lot as well and other exercise! ;) It was a pretty good trip overall. We really needed the one on one time. Weigh-in day tomorrow so we'll see how I did.

2b - Congrats on the new job!

The temp is finally dropping, when I left it was -7 and today when we got back it was -23C.

Well, tomorrow is my middle guys 5th birthday, his cake is baked and I just have to decorate it. I'll do that first thing. I hope I can do it quickly. There is so much other stuff to get done. Off to bed now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-06-2009, 05:20 AM
DONNA ~ so glad you and your DH had such a wonderful trip to Whitehorse; and you got your Christmas shopping done as well. Happy Birthday to the little fella; and good for you eating so well on your trip too.

2b ~ sounds like you are a busy lady; hope you like your new job. Night shift can be really tuff; both you and Tricia have long shifts I see (you 10 hours and her 12 hours) -- that can be very tiring indeed. Night shift was one shift that I just couldn't do; my internal clock would get so messed up that I would literally be sick :barf:

JUDI-LYNN ~ don't send that storm here :nono:; we have been getting light snow on and off, but not too much at once, thankfully.

TRICIA ~ hope you start to feel better soon; not fun to have to work if you aren't feeling well. Gee, hope you don't spread that cough around; most employers today say they would prefer those who are sick to stay home until they feel better; maybe pick up some losenges as they might help you.

We spent all of yesterday working on our Creche (Nativity Scene); DH and a friend made the creche 2 days ago, and then made a crib for baby Jesus this AM, so it was all up to me to produce Mary & Joseph. Well, that took me all day too, by the time I drew them out on thick cardboard, then cut them out and finished the fine drawing in the afternoon.

Then we stopped and had thin-crust pizza for dinner; and it was back to work for me doing the coloring of my poster people ... :lol: It took me all evening to get them both done, while DH drilled a hole and put our Bethlehem star on the front; then he glued all the cracks to keep out the snow using a big plastic glue gun. Hey, they look pretty good considering it was all handmade and no $$$ spent so far, but we do have to get a flood light so we can see them out there in the dark, and they just happen to have some on sale this week -- so I hope they have one left for us ...;)

Our temps have dropped here too, but the :sunny: was shining brightly for us for most of the day and it was lovely. We both were so tired that we went to bed and I woke up just now and decided to have some tea. I will likely go back and lay down again as we were both so tired (even my fingers and arms were a bit numb from all that art work), but we shall recover. :D

Take good care, and hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud :hug:

Judy Lynn
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Rosebud, sounds like you are quite creative with your nativity. I bet it will look really nice.

Well, the storm has quit, but the roads are a mess. We got stuck last night when we went out. They are clearing the main streets, but I don't hold out much hope for our residential streets.

We bought the treadmill from Costco. Just finished hauling it in. That sucker was heavy! We are just on a break, and then have to try to assemble it. It looked like a good deal. It has a 3 hp motor, and a tv in the console. I am going to start using it in the mornings.

Have a great Sunday evening. Got to run. lol!

2b125by46
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Judy Lyn I am sooooo jealous. Sounds like you got yourself a fabulous treadmill.

tricia80
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
My cough was a lingering one... I didn't work when i was actively sick... i am a nurse not allowed...

and last night we had another bug hit this house... 24hr flu bug... dd was sick and then a couple of hours later i started.. except she seems back to normal and i am exhausted and feeling worn... oh to be 10 again...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
:wave: We had colder temps today; the sun tried to peak out but we only saw it for a short while late in the day. We got our Nativity Creche (manger) all set up and the lights working tonight and it looks great; we have even had some compliments on it already. Took some pics; will show them when I have them uploaded and resized. Hope you all are feeling better today -- take good care of you and yours ... Rosebud:hug:

AR4life
12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Brrrrrr, BC checking in.....we've been hit with an Arctic front, clear skies and sunshine but darn cold. (not cold for some of you only 0, -4 this morning).

My 2 hanging baskets are dying now, poor things. The blooms are still on the fushias.

Have a good week :hug:

Judy Lynn
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I just checked the Weather Network; we are at -35 right now.

tricia80
12-08-2009, 12:08 AM
We are at -5 only... not too bad.. .light dusting of snow on the ground...

Ok so sat night i got a "stomach bug" and still recovering. I may be back on food tomorrow... A bowl of cereal sent my stomach gurgling and churning so we shall see...

SnowboundChick
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
The Bug hit our house too! Friday when I was gone, middle boy was sick, Sunday the youngest was sick and last night the oldest got it. Why does it always happen at night? Hubby is feeling nauseous today and I was feeling a bit yesterday but it seems to be gone for now. We'll see.

tricia80
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
its going around... tis the season...

i am back slowly on food and supplements.. a tad nervous about veggie intake they are really rough on the stomach and bowel... so i may not make my veggie quota...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-08-2009, 08:24 PM
JUDY-LYNN ~ you must be pretty high up for those kind of temps, or is that normal for Alberta?

We are sitting at around -10 C right now, but there is a very cold wind out there the last few days and that makes it feel a lot colder (they say as much as another 10 degees colder with the wind chill factor). It warmed up to about -5 C today with some very light snow, so we ventured out to get a bit of shopping done.

We did OK; got all the gifts that we have to send out and some for our stockings as well. Hopefully, that will be all until just before Christmas; mostly the food, I mean. We are doing really well this year. Time for tea and to put my tired, sore feet up (got lots of walking in today) ... hope you all get some rest and get rid of all those bugs (but not this way) ;)

PS ~ here's a link to another thread where I posted some pics of our NATIVITY CRECHE and our porch decos -- DH and a friend made the manger and cradle box; and I made the Joseph and Mary poster people ...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/187331-physical-challenges-december-2.html#post3040361

Rosebud :hug:

tricia80
12-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I just applied for a job as a community nurse with the federal government for northern AB... i wonder if i have a chance... who knows...

i am trying to study molecular biology... hmmmmm metabolic pathways.. sheesh can there be anything more boring

Ruthxxx
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
A rather gorgeous day here ....for December. Temps were below zero with brilliant sun which made the 4" of snow look wonderful. Tonight the storm hits.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
TRICIA ~ you have as good a chance as anyone else; hope you get it -- ahhh ... studying ... glad those days are over ... :lol:

tricia80
12-09-2009, 12:33 AM
The storm has arrived... i don't know if dd's bird feeder will stand up to the wind... We are to get 5-10cm then rain and then ice... gotta love that... and i have to drive around the countryside tomorrow... luckily its a very light day... should be interesting...

still more studying to be had but no more tonight... who knows if this will even sink in enough for my test on sat... the one on fri i still need to study for... eeeeeeek why oh why am i going to get my degree.. someone remind me...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
:wave: We have had a blistery snowstorm here all day long and got about 6-8 inches by the looks of it. I just stayed inside and did things like bills, writing, meals, and daily chores. Hope you all have better weather than we have right now. It's time for my hot tea ... :hug:

tricia80
12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
ok so i was up 3lbs this a.m. and i binged at supper tonight... sheesh... today is not a good day... excuse me while i go wallow in my self misery...

On a side note i am trying to figure out if i should quit the hospital and do homecare FT... sheesh i hate decisions...

2b125by46
12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I have finished my first week of nights and now have 3 days of living in daylight. They have changed my schedule again to 12 hr. night shifts starting at 8 pm. I need to figure out lunches that I can take that are carb free and can be eaten while in a car. In otherwords nothing that needs heating up. I have hard boiled eggs, nuts, protein shake, and cold meats that I have cooked, eg; chicken breast, turkey, roast beef etc.

Do you have any ideas? I need some veggies in there.

tricia80
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
ok so i did my wi and thought i was down .2lbs until i looked at my previous wt from wed and i am up .2lbs... sheesh...

hmm carb free.. carrot sticks, celery sticks, peas in the pod (mmmmm)

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
We had lovely :sunny: all day today; good thing as the temps dropped to at least -17C last night and brrr ... it was chilly in here, and it's supposed to be the same tonight too, but we'll wrap up warm and turn up the furnace a bit too!

2b ~ for a lower carb lunch, you could definitely add a nice romaine salad with shredded carrots, and sliced red onion with lite ranch dressing added at lunchtime; and you could also put your meat, or cheese, and/or hb egg on top of that salad to round it out nicely. You can take a nice piece of fruit like a pear for a snack break too ...

We're staying indoors and wrapping Christmas gifts tonight! :lol: Have a good one ... Rosebud:hug:

tricia80
12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
it was nice but this a.m. was a bit blistery in the country so dd's school was cancelled... I did my philosophy exam.. and i have no idea how i did.. it was quite difficult. I have my molecular biology exam in the a.m. and totally not wanting to do it...

I am trying to get back on track and figure out an exercise regime. I am gonna be sooo happy that no school for the holidays... time for a vacation and get back to work...

Judy Lynn
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Tricia80, sounds like you have a very hectic schedule with school, a job & a family. No wonder you are looking forward to the break. Our office is closed between Christmas & New Year's and I am really looking forward to that too.

Things are going well with the new treadmill. Both DH & I have been on it every day this week. :carrot:

Other than that it is just a normal weekend here for us. May haul the tree up from the basement tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
12-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Grrr! I'm all set to put up my wee artificial tree and can't find all three of the legs for the stand. I see a trip to Canadian Tire in my future!

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Glad to hear you are all getting in the spirit ... don't forget the Christmas carols and diet hot chocolate ... ;)

tricia80
12-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Judy - you are not kidding with my schedule. I am in school, have 2 jobs, and raise dd by my lonesome... too hectic... but i am bored otherwise...

I wish exercise equipment was cheap and i didn't have to worry about brands and they could all be made very decent and not break down easily... why is that too much to ask for...

oh and my next dilemma... trying to find a small rotisserie to cook up these chickens i have bought and use it for sandwich meat....

I am a good girl.. I love love love egg nog.. and i only drank a small glass like 8oz worth and thats it for today.. normally i would be drinking like 3 glasses full and i mean huge glasses... i love love love egg nog...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-14-2009, 12:05 AM
We had a lovely day with lots of :sunny: ... rested and relaxed all day long doing fun things like reading, writing, wrapping gifts, etc. Had lovely roast chicken with piles of veggies for dinner -- yum, yum ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Very cold here tonight almost -20C and supposed to go down to -30C tonight; must be sure to plug in the vehicles with those temps. Went shopping today; got some walking in and ate well too. Hope you all are having a great week ... Rosebud :hug:

tricia80
12-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Well i did my wi on monday and i was down 4lbs.. whoo hooo but i am scared to see what it is tomorrow.. i had a few chocolates today... i think i am pmsing as i am cramping so we shall see...

AR4life
12-16-2009, 12:10 AM
After a quick snowfall we are back to rain and moderate temps 8C. Nice because I haven't got snow tires on yet.

Son dropped off his bird and lots of boxes, his apt is being sold so he wants the uncluttered look....lol

3 more days of work......................yeah!

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
TRICIA ~ :congrat: on the 4 lbs! I imagine a few chocolates aren't enuff to cause a gain ...

R4life ~ ur son wants the unclutterd look, so he brings his stuff 2 ur house -- that's funny :lol: It's OK to clutter up mom's house! ;) Are you working Saturdays too?

Put up new curtains in the livingroom over our blinds (thick, long ones) to keep out the cold winds and the heat in. We had wg spagetti and meatballs for dinner tonight; I also had a coleslaw with mine and DH had mini-croissants with his. Got a little walking in today, but my poor feeties were still sore from yesterday (we did lots of walking while shopping).

Hope you are all well; and have a terrific Thursday tomorrow too ... ROSEBUD :hug:

2b125by46
12-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Hello everyone the vampire has returned. For the next 4 days I will live among the rest of you soaking up what sunlight there is until its time to go back out into the darkness.

Congradulation Tricia on the 4 lb loss.

My 12 hr night shifts haven't been too bad its the 4hrs of sleep that was bad. This week is the last week I will be working 2 jobs at once so I am looking forward to better sleeping habits to go along with my new job. I have done a little travelling with my new job I have come to see, if only at night, some new towns I otherwise would not have seen. I have been to Norwich, Hickson, Woodstock and Lucan so far. I have also caught a nasty head cold. I am taking my vitamins but I do sometimes get confused as to what I have taken and still need to take. I do know that I need to add an immunity booster and some garlic to my regimine

I am trying to get some exercise in while working too. During patrols when not looking after alarms I try to walk as much as possible. That was hard Wed. morning b/c is was so darn cold. I was doing wellfood wise until last night too. Stopped for gas in vehicle and got chocolate bars and tonight I ate pizza for supper. I was just so tired and that is what my son cooked for supper. I didn't have the energy to make something healthy.

Its 330 am and I have to pick up my school kids in the morning so I am going to bed.

You all have a great Thursday.

Laura

tricia80
12-17-2009, 04:51 AM
Rosebud - unfortunately the chocolates were enough.. I ended up gaining 1.2lbs on wed... sheeeesh but i feel bloated and i think i might be constipated so i am going to add fiber in.... usually my body has a lot of diarrhea and they actually diagnosed me with celiac disease but I am questioning that.

Well shall see what tomorrow (Fri) brings... my WI for update isn't until monday. We shall see if a cyst bursts and i get my period.

Tonight (since its 448a.m.) is dd's birthday supper at king's buffet. I am excited for sushi.

This night shift hasn't been too bad. I am doing a constant care in a patient's room so i am not near any of the temptations.. which is positive. So far soo good although I am gonna buy dd some donuts for school for her bday but i should be good. I have sweets in the car I am thinking of taking to a family gathering. ITs cold enough outside that i think i can actually keep them in the car... :D

anyways its almost 5am and my shift ends at 7am... yeah there is light at the end of this long 12hr tunnel.

2b125by46
12-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Tricia, I am no expert at the 12 hr. shifts but one thing I found helped me stay on plan is to take enough food with me that I have something to munch on about every 2 hrs. I am sure your 12 hrs is a little more demanding then mine and you don't get as bored.

Laura

tricia80
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
i actually did good and didn't eat after midnight last night and drank 1.5L of water... so hey thats positive.. I did have a donut with dd this morning... i am still amazed my baby turned 11... boo hooo booo hoooo

tricia80
12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
i am soo excited.. i finally have a signature now... LOL...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Lovely mild temps here today; got out to do a bit more shopping -- just small things today but saved a bundle on mega sales! :carrot: Got my walking in for this day and managed to eat well today too. Hope all our Canadians have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud:hug:

tricia80
12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Ok so i was right ... It is TOM. arrgggghhhh

I did gain another .4lbs but probably due to TOM and Kings buffet. So i am drinking and peeing like mad.

Weather here today was coooooold. But probably not that cold and I am just being a wimp. It was windy thats what made it feel colder. Ok well i have to work my homecare job tomorrow. Then off for sunday and back to work mon-thurs.. arrrggghhh

Judy Lynn
12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Busy weekend here, lots of Christmas stuff still to do. Planning to bake my shortbread, which is the only baking I do any more, then still have to put up the tree and a few decorations. DH has said he will help me. I still have a little wrapping to do, but that is no big deal. Sunday I have a staff function to attend, although I would much rather stay home and chill. We'll see.

Have a good weekend everyone!

tricia80
12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
can someone tell me when my overemotional 11 yr old will be normal again?????

Judy Lynn
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Tricia, if you are talking about normal teenage stuff, well it could be quite a while yet. lol!

Coondocks
12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello to my fellow Canucks!

Im just starting out here, have a long way to go but it's some how comforting to know Im not the only Canadian . . . weird . . . I think im the only one stuck in Winnipeg though ha ha.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
:welcome: COONDOCKS ~ actually, in the Christian Encourager's thread, we have a lady named WILMA who lives in Winnipeg as well; so you aren't alone. And in our Physical Challenges thread, we have a young lady who bodes from THOMPSON, MANITOBA; and my youngest sister lives in FLIN FLON, Manitoba too. Glad you decided to join us ... ;)

:ginger: We had a gorgeous :sunny: day today; I couldn't help but bask in that sun for awhile today. Just had a peaceful and relaxing Sunday at home; nice roast beef dinner with lots of veggies. Turning the leftovers into a Sheperd's Pie for tomorrow night's dinner too.

:tree: Watching lots of Christmas movies. Hope you all have a Marvellous Monday tomorrow ... ROSEBUD :candy:

tricia80
12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I got a call today to see if i was still interested in working in the Yukon....

I am excited... it is something i would love to do... so i have to call back tomorrow... I have no idea about what job opportunities they want to provide... Well i do know its nursing related as i am a practical nurse...

anyways.. totally excited...

Otherwise.. nibbled here and there today.. have another 12 hr day shift tomorrow... and tomorrow night is dd's christmas program at church...

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
:tree: Hope all our Canadians are having a wonderful Christmas week!!!

:candy: It's cold :brr: and a bit windy up here right now, but the :sunny: did shine for us today. Did our shopping today; wrapping gifts tonight -- now it's time for some hot tea ... :hug:

Judy Lynn
12-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Well ladies I am really not doing a very good job of staying out of the Christmas treats. Actually, I can hardly wait until they are all gone. After Christmas anything left is going to DH's office. It's terrible, once I start with the sweets I just can't be satisified with one or two.

Only one more day of work for me and then I am off basically until the New Year. Well, except I have to go in for a couple of hours two days to do payrolls. But that's OK. I will be all alone in the office so it will be nice and quiet. It's kind of a trade off for having the 24th off. Have to go to Calgary to get DS from the plane.

Have good evening. Only three more sleeps until :clause:

Coondocks
12-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I think I lucked out for holidays - worked in a European bakery for 2 years and still can't stand the smell of chocolate so it's an easy thing for me to avoid. Ham, scalloped potatoes and yorkshire pudding are a different story . . . eesh.

Im a little surprised by the weather here, it's not at all what Im used to for a Winnipeg winter, makes me think February is going to be horrible. :(

tricia80
12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
i have been good so far this a.m. but yeah tomorrow night is gonna be a different story and Christmas day as well...

Oh well.. what is a girl to do... I am planning to enjoy the holidays and back to work afterwards... If i don't gain that will be awesome.. but i am not going to fret over a couple of pounds....

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-23-2009, 11:10 PM
:tree: We had lovely :sunny: again today; such a blessing with these cold temps. Dealing with some yucky side effects of water pills; gotta cut the dose down. Felt better tonight, so we got to go out and do our Christmas light tour ... it was a lot of fun.

:candy: I am having a few treats; always have a stocking with some chocolate and/or nuts in it. I want to enjoy this life; so I'll try to do that in moderation ... well, I'll try my best. Can't believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve already ... time has been flying by this year.

:ginger: Take good care and I do hope you all have a very blessed and peaceful Christmas week ... Rosebud :hug:

AR4life
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Have a wonderful, restful Christmas :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Just poppin' by to wish you all a ...
:tree: MERRY CHRISTMAS:tree:

We had a very busy day. I made a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin custard; just used the same recipe as for the pie, but subbed sweetener (11 packets) for the brown sugar in the recipe. I just spray the pie dish; sprinkle with wheat flour and pour the filling in. Baked it with the other pie. Have my veggies and dressing base ready in containers in the fridge; just have to do potatoes tomorrow. Gifts are all wrapped; but will do the stockings just before bed. We have 2 extra guests coming tomorrow so that should be nice. My poor feet are sore but I felt much better today; just glad that we have everything ready ...

:wreath: May GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY with His PEACE & JOY as we celebrate the coming of our LORD & SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST ... :wreath:

tricia80
12-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Well I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. I went out today and bought an Ellipitcal... I am excited... but won't put it together today.. too tired... I am back to work tomorrow, mon,tues then off for 1 day then back to work... oh i love my jobs.. LOL

I did eat a few things wrong (ok probably quite a bit) but nothing like i would of in the past...

anyways... i should figure out supper

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
:wreath: HI ALL ~ we had a busy Christmas Day with our guests. We had a real pleasant surprise; one of our guests is a self-taught musician, and as soon as he walked in our livingroom said, "Oh, you have an organ!" He promptly sat down and serenaded us all through the evening with Christmas songs!!! What an awesome blessing -- to hear someone who could play so well, show me how my organ can sound with an accomplished player on hand ... I have to say that was our favorite gift of all!

:candy: Today, we just rested as I was exhausted and my poor feeties sure needed a rest. We did enjoy some treats of chocolate and nuts, etc but a few days on plan will fix that up, I'm sure. Everyone seemed to have a wonderful time and DH keeps saying this was the best Christmas that he can remember ... ;)

:ginger: Hope you all have a blessed Christmas week and a restful Sunday tomorrow too! ROSEBUD :hug:

Judy Lynn
12-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Time to get back on track now.

2b125by46
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Back to work for me last night. I will be done Wednesday morning. If I am lucky I may not sleep through New Years like I slept through Christmas.

Weight: 241

I am tired today. My sleep was not the most restful. Dogs barking fire alarms and restlessness. I took something to help me sleep but it didn't really work. I think I am going to have to add something to help me relax more after work. I don't know what that might be though. I will stop by my health store tomorrow and ask them.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
2b ~ I find a book, a hot tea or chocolate, quiet instrumental music, and heat all help me fall asleep faster. I use either my heater or heating pad with lots of blankies to keep warm; if I am chilled at all, I cannot sleep. Low, soft music is very calming; and there's nothing like a warm drink as mentioned, or even milk or chocolate milk helps lots of people. Then top it off with a few chapters of a book and I'm nodding off ... :hug:

Did much better with eating today; made a cottage pie with leftovers and heated in the oven for dinner. I learned a few things this Christmas: my stomach has shrunk; even one small piece of shortbread upsets my tummy; spicy, fatty foods make me feel sickly; and I must watch what brand of coffee we drink as the one we have now is horrid on my gut. It's postum for me for a while ... :lol:

Have a great evening ... Rosebud :hug:

tricia80
12-27-2009, 08:54 PM
The hospital is killing me.. I need more willpower... Too many chocolates around...

I have a killer headache tonight...

Back to work tomorrow in the community.. at least in my car i can control what i eat better...

Judy Lynn
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
2b - I gather you sleep during the day since you work nights. That would be tough. Have you tried earplugs or a white noise machine?

Well, I am off to work for a couple of hours, then home to tidy up the house and maybe spend some of my Coldwater Creek gift cards. They have a 50% off sale.

2b125by46
12-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I have ear plugs I use them. I have a noise machine I listen to "night sounds" I have not been using it and I did last week. I did add more curtains to my blinds so I can be darker. There are snow squalls here so I will be leaving even earlier for work to make sure I get there on time without rushing.

tricia80
12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I am too scared to change my avatar as i have a weigh in tomorrow and i am scared to see what i did to myself over the holidays...

I just sent a 12page application for a job in the north country... So we shall see.. I have my ellipitcal set up and can't wait to start using it. hehehe i jus figured out it had to be plugged in... :D

Can we use PM's yet????

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-28-2009, 09:12 PM
:wave: We awoke to a major ***** storm here today, so we just stayed indoors. I managed to get a cold or flu bug; had a dry, hacking cough which is getting better tonight: must be from all the prayers for me (thanks). The temps have dropped down to -20 C and the winds are fierce so it would feel about 10 degrees colder than that. Hope it warms up this week, becuz I have some bills to pay!

Hmmm ... not sure if the PM's are working yet; haven't tried one lately. Hope you all are having a peaceful and restful holiday week; take good care ... ROSEBUD :hug:

tricia80
12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
We got a small snowstorm today as well...

Well I did 30mins on the elliptical. My back is all sweaty but I persevered.. Now i am ready to sleep. zzzzzzzz

tricia80
12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I did a weigh in today and was at 252.8 even with christmas i managed to not gain a whole lot.. thank goodness. Now to keep on with the ellipitcal and eating on plan so i don't for new years.

2b125by46
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
We had sever snow squalls yesterday last night and today. I tried to go to an alarm in Lucan last night and could only get as far as Birr(teeny tiny town) when I had to turn back. It was absolutely impossible to see to go further. I made an honest effort. It was the scaredest I have ever been while driving.

I have done so well while working this week I will have to be very diligent not to screw it up while I am off for Thrusday and Friday.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
CONGRATS to both you ladies for doing so well! I think I did much better this year too. We put the leftover turkey stuff in the freezer for future meals; gave the birdies leftover nuts and tidbits; tossed some (shhhhh); and the rest that DH wants for New Years has been put out in cold storage ... ;)

Back on track today; stayed OP; and very happy about that ... phew! This is really a tuff time of year. Already making plans how to do things better for next year. Think I'll take a holiday from the cooking too ... :lol:

It's really cold here again (-20C with winds); a little snow fell but I think it was mostly stuff blowing around. It's supposed to be much milder tomorrow; hope they are right! Have a great week ladies ... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ we did get much milder temps so we did get out to pay bills and pick up a few basic groceries today; so nice to pay bills off after Christmas -- gives you a peaceful feeling. The :sunny: even peaked out for us this afternoon; that was a nice surprise (as they were calling for clouds).

So far, am OP and eating well today; got lots of walking in which I enjoyed more with the milder temps (did my store-walking today by going around the outside perimeter of the huge store). It's time to go put dinner on now; something healthy but filling ...

Take good care -- hope you have a good week (even if you do have to work) ... Rosebud :hug:

2b125by46
12-31-2009, 05:00 PM
and I bought tires for my Jeep and a treadmill. I finally own a treadmill. After years of wanting one I own one. I am so happy right now. I am just waiting for Dh to come home so we can put it together.

Justwant2Bhealthy
12-31-2009, 08:17 PM
2010 ~ HAPPY NEW YEAR ~ 2010

May this new year of a new decade be a year of new beginnings, renewed hopes, new dreams, renewed health, new victories, and a year full of new blessings for you and yours ...

:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

tricia80
12-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Happy New Year to All!!!!

I am exhausted tonight. I don't think i am gonna stay up.. Well its official i have been redeployed in my hospital to Hemo. I am sorta happy because new skills and no layoff.. I am sad because the RN's are pissed that RPN's are coming and are gonna be butt munches (at least i hope not)

I still have applications going through for Northern Nursing. Yukon hasn't called back.. I am hoping its because of the holidays. I would love to go.

2b125by46
01-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Tricia, Just remember you will get the job you are meant to have. When I started applying for jobs in the security field it was the spring of 2006. I got so discouraged when the things I was applying for never panned out. It was my sister that said "the right thing will come along, the job you are meant to have" so I kept applying then one day during the summer of 2008 I was on Montsers Inc. com and found the add for the Security company I now work for. It was ment to be now I am full time after a year + with the company doing something I really enjoy and eventually I am sure I will get the "dream" postion that will take me to retirement age. Its all in the timing.

Judy Lynn
01-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Congrats 2b on the treadmill and Tricia on the elliptical. They will give you some new exercise options.

Rosebud, Happy New Year to you to. You are always so positive and upbeat. :smug:

I have not been feeling well the past few days. Some kind of a stomach bug. I am on the mend though. Happy New Year everyone! Let's make this our year!

2b125by46
01-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Finished my first 15 min at 2.5 mph on level. I am out of shape and will have to build up to a decent walking speed and level.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
:wave: HI LADIES ~ yes, it seems that 2 of you got just what you wanted for Christmas. I still have my rowing machine and walking is still my favorite exercise; but I do the other toning stuff each morning upon waking too. My stretchie band snapped again; guess it's getting too old, as this is the second time it has happened. So I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a new one somewhere ...

JUDY ~ thanks! I have the odd down moment (not too often), but that is usually caused by someone else :lol:, but people always say that I am quite upbeat and I am. I like to look on the bright side of life; there is so much beauty on this earth, and so much to look forward to each day. We are blessed, and we very thankful for that too.

2b ~ I agree -- the right job will come eventually; many people are glad to have any job right now (we have many men out of work here). There is a lot of upheaval for now, but things usually calm down in time.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud :flow1:

AR4life
01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I woke up and decided a run would be a good idea. Crazy but with the temp around 10c and light rain it was perfect. I haven't run since August so was a bit worried. Took 1 of my dogs and she pulled me :)along, 5km in about 35 min, I walked a bit. Have to love this mild temperate rain forest weather!

Now will I manage to keep this up? good question, 2-3 times a week would be good.

Steamed up a huge plate of vegies, put on a big pot of pea soup, and finished off the ham. Should be a tasty dinner tomorrow, I love pea soup.

Have a wonderful Sunday :hug:

tricia80
01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
ok ladies.. i jumped on the elliptical and did 15mins and 25mis of yoga...and am tired and wet... and could barely breathe...

I bought jillian michaels dvd 30 min shred.. oh my i barely lasted 8 mins... i am too fat to be doing jumping jacks at 1030pm in an apt.. LOL so i hopped onto the elliptical...

Judy Lynn
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Well the tree came down today and it's back to work tomorrow. Back to a normal routine. Kind of a good news/bad news thing.

Keep up with the exercise ladies, it does get easier.

2b125by46
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I finished 15 min. on treadmill when I woke up today. Got a good sold 5 hrs of sleep. Tonight is my last night of night until Saturday. Although tomorrow I work on my school vehicle run this week. I am hoping this is the last week I will have to wear both 'work caps'

tricia80
01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
i need to get on the elliptical but i am exhausted... i don't think i can do it.. I have a headache.. maybe 15 mins would do me some good..

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
:lol: You two are workin' hard already; and gettin' plenty of exercise each day, esp those with 2 jobs! Just start slow if needs be ... 5, 10, 15 minutes: and work your way up. Maybe try every other day when you aren't as busy. I try to do SOMETHING each day; and mix it up so it's more interesting.

Still cold here but a bit higher temps than yesterday -10C and -13C right now, but it was very windy. I stayed indoors and DH went to get the mail so we could pay our bills, but he said it was much more tolerable today. Had some more ***** today too ... oh well, it's winter! :lol:

Take good care and have a great week ... Rosebud :flow1:

tricia80
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Ok so i ended up doing 30 mins on the elliptical last night. I might do the yoga for back care tonight. I want to do at least one thing but I am working a 12 hr day shift today and i am gonna be tired.. 4.5hrs to go til the end of my shift. yeah

Working 2 jobs and raising dd and going to school (which i am taking a semester off of) and exercising is quite tiring. I now see why mc d's has become my friend. I did it last night. OH well at least i am not choosing a big mac and i am discouraged by the not so great tasting smores pie. LOL

we are at -9 but feels like -20 with the wind chill and its starting to snow again. If there was more snow it would feel warmer.. thats my opinon

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I agree -- when there's more *****, it's usually warmer and visa-versa; when it's warmer, you get more snow! :lol: I would much rather have the snow and warmer temps, than the frosty temps we have been getting lately. Today, was much better -10C and more ***** again, but it does look pretty. DH packs the snow up around the bottom of our place and we think it really does make it feel warmer in here.

Have a great evening ... Rosebud :flow1:

2b125by46
01-06-2010, 10:11 AM
This week I am working 2 jobs. My bus driving boss still needs me to drive my run when I am not working the 12 hr night shifts. I will be glad when I am completely done for that job. Although the double pay checques will be nice for the time beinging. Keep up the good work.

Tricia you can do this and if you are going to go to McyD's to eat. There are low cal meals. According to a Womens World I have you can get a Hamburger plain, the apple slcies and milk with a side salad. That way you get protein, carb, fruit, dairy and veggie. A complete meal.

L R K
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
It's ******* cold! I am already sick of winter and still a few months before the warmer weather returns :cry:

I just wanted to share my depressed winter feelings with you all ... perhaps I am having a particularly bad day - after the christmas break my body is still on vacation mode so I haven't been sleeping enough - i'm not liking this trying to be in bed before 11 PM and having to get up at 7 AM - I need sleep, warmth and sunshine ... blah :mad:

Anyone heading south??

Judy Lynn
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, we are getting an unusual amount of snow this year. Just got another big dump yesterday. And -20. Brrr! It is supposed to warm up to +7 on the weekend, so hopefully some of the ice will melt.

My boss just left today for 3 weeks in Mexico. Lucky duck!

Lauren, maybe you would benefit form a lightbox. I know I feel better when I use mine.

tricia80
01-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I did a mediterrean grilled chicken salad and parmesean grilled chicken wraps.. those seem healthy right?

although the smores pie.. not soo healthy... but now i know i don't like it.. LOL

Well i did a weigh in today and was 250.6lbs so a 2.4 loss. Yeah!!!! Its official I have lost exactly 15lbs... :D

2b125by46
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
If you kept track of your weight in 2009 can you tell us what was your Highest weight and lowest weight during the year and how will improve that for this year.

My highest weight was 253 I reached it twice once in April and then again in June. My lowest weight was 239 I reached it Jan. Mar. and then I ended the year at 238 on Dec 31. I start 2009 at 246 and ended it at 238 So in 12 months I gained and lost the same 8 lbs over and over again.

My plan this year is to NOT do that. It is to see the graph I use to continully go down. I may plateau for several days and that is ok. But I wan to see the line graph always going down.

tricia80
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Ok so i did my measurements today and i have lost 12.25inches

Yeah!!!!! So officially i am 15lbs and 12.25 inches down...

I wasn't trying to lose weight in 2009 so i only know what my program starting weight is and that was probably the highest and it was 265.6

tricia80
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
clearly i hit send too many times.. LOL

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
:welcome: LAUREN ~ if you are Canadian you have an inborn right to complain about the weather; trust me, no-one blames you one bit, becuz it's cold and dark here in the winter! :lol: We are putting lots of lights on and doing things that are fun like keeping our tree up longer to brighten things up for the winter ...

TRICIA ~ I was having the same problem lately; I type a post and press 'SUBMIT REPLY' and it seems to be jamming or freezing up on me. So like others, I tried submitting it again and then end up with double posts OR a new box opening up ... :dizzy:

AND, last night I tried to post in here and couldn't ... :shrug: dunno why ... :?: It took me over 3.5 hours to get in 2 posts; I gave up close to midnight as I had to get up early for a Dentist appt this AM. Thankfully, all that went very well ...

Spent yesterday putting away Christmas room decos; sorting boxes; and our spare room -- overdid it a bit but it's done and that's what matters. Like RUTH, we are leaving our artificial Pine tree up; it looks so real and pretty so we are leaving it up for a while ... for January and who knows, we may create a new tradition and keep it up for the winter. Who says we can't -- I know a lady that keeps hers up all year round and turned her home into a museum and gives tours ... clever lady! ;)

Have a good one ... Rosebud :flow1:

2b125by46
01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
My fellow Canadians you gotta check this out!!! http://xweighted.ca/the-national-challenge

tricia80
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
i like xweighted.. some of those ppl really do need a good smack.. LOL

that seems like its gonna be fun... i am so gonna register...

tricia80
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
ok so i completed the biggest loser's last chance workout dvd and man oh man my arms are jelly but I feel good.. I actually finished it.. wow .... my 11 yr old gave up halfway through... i am soo excited..

Tomorrow i will be in pain.. today I am happy i finished something i thought i couldn't do... Now to do it 6x a week.. that might be a different story.. LOL

retiredone
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi there. I haven't been on this Canadian thread in over a year. Just forgot as there are so many threads on 3FC.

I'm so glad 2B mentioned X-Weighted. I love that show. It's so much more real than the Biggest Loser. I have only a few more pounds to lose but I think I'll register anyway as it seems the last few pounds love me so much they don't want to leave. They will be doing random draws for prizes as well and it would be great to have my name in for that.

Aunty Jam
01-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie, glad to find some other Canadians on here.

I also signed up for the X-Weighted challange, I considered applying for the show in the past but lost my nerve and my hubby wouldn't do it with me. Did anyone see the episode of a family shot in Edmonton where the daughter did dog agility with a border collie named Piper? I know Piper and her owner Sue, very nice people, wonderful dog... we bug her that she's famous now.

Did anyone have trouble entering their weight and height? The boxes weren't where they were supposed to and wouldn't let me enter anything for weight. I guess I'll try again tomorrow... maybe after I dig out a tape measure. Measurements are NOT going to be fun.

2b125by46
01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
LADIES, LADIES, LADIES,

Check this out!!! Its Canadian and we could win prizes, real prizes. http://xweighted.ca/my-x-weighted-signup

I also started a group there, look for it if you sign up.
http://xweighted.ca/the-community/groups/london-surrounding-area

I call this insentive. My ultimate goal is to get to 125 by June 9,2010 so if this gives me the insentive to get there I am all for it.

Laura

Aunty Jam
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
For those that signed up for the X-weighted challange, can I ask what it set as your weight loss goal? After I entered all of my information it only gave me 24lb as a 26 week goal. I was going to set it higher then I noticed a thing that said you wouldn't be entered for all the prizes if you set your own goal. And gosh darnit! I want prizes! ;)

tricia80
01-10-2010, 12:36 AM
mine was 65lbs in 26weeks... eeeeeek better rev things up

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Gee, those goals sound a bit high to me -- 65 lbs in 26 weeks is 2.5 each week all the way thru or 10 lbs a month; the other lady would have to lose at least 18 lbs a month to reach 125 by June 2010 (107 lbs divided by 6 months). Most places recommend a 1-2 lb loss per week; and 1 lb would be safer becuz you would have less of a chance of REGAINING it all back. Most experts agree that any weight lost too fast will be gained back with interest, sooner or later.

Sorry, not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm, ladies and I hope you all do very well! Just wonder how they are coming up with their figures. I'm not going by weight, but sizes; that has been my main goal all along and I am sticking with it.

The last time I was weighed at the doctors the nurse wouldn't even wait for me to take my winter coat and boots off; and said, "Does it really matter?" I was shocked at her condescending attitude; and my new doctor won't stop harrassing me to get bariatric surgery, which I am not getting!

I am on my own here. In my whole life, I have never received any good advice from any of my doctors regarding weightloss, so I am doing it my way from now on. I am not setting myself up for failure anymore. I am going for healthy this time; and with GOD's help, I will succeed ...

I wish you all well in your new challenge, and will gladly cheer you on in your weightloss journey ... :hug:

tricia80
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I know that deep down i probaby won't do it.. For me its something to motivate me. I have no idea what they are thinking as far as how they calculate those #'s. 2.5lbs for me though isn't far from the 1-2.. we shall see..

I am also looking at the Running Room clinics in my area to see and my ministry has approved me to get the Wii as long as it is used for fitness only.

retiredone
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I signed up at the X-Weighted challenge and when I checked out my goal weight and weight loss for the 26 weeks it said I was going to lose 125 pounds and my goal weight would be 11 pounds. hahahahaha. I wouldn't even be a grease spot at 11 pounds. Somehow things got mixed up. I couldn't edit the mistake so I just emailed them with my problem.

Did you do the fitness test? I did and I'm close to death. My legs are so sore I can hardly move. Last night when I did the test I could barely stand when I was finished. But I'm going to persist and practice the exercises so I can do them better and faster in 6 months. It took me 12 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the test which really told me I'm out of shape.

It's cold here today. We've had unusually spring like weather since Christmas and today's more seasonal temperatures are shocking to the system. I did get a walk in this morning before the muscles started seizing up and that warmed me up some.

Hope you all had a good day.

retiredone
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I just got an email back from the X-Weighted challenge. They sent me a link to reset my stats. So I'm good to go.

L R K
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Lauren, maybe you would benefit form a lightbox. I know I feel better when I use mine.

Judy Lynn- what is a lightbox??

Aunty Jam
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it's calculating what you would need to loose to get down to a healthy BMI but I'm not sure.

I also thought the fitness test killed, I was wheezing half way through it and it took me way longer to finish. In fact, I almost didn't finish and my legs are still killing me today. Whenever anyone asks why I'm walking funny I tell them it's because I FAILED a fitness test on the weekend.

You really did the whole thing a little over 2 minutes???

retiredone
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Hahahah. I was wondering who in the world did that fitness test in 2 minutes. I guess it was me but it was a typing error. It should have read 12 minutes 20 seconds. I just edited that post. I'm still sore and stiff and am not getting up very often. I think it's worse today than yesterday. I'm eating Ibuprofen for a vegetable today.

Aunty Jam
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
LoL - I'm sorry but that makes me feel ssooo much better! That test was really tough, my arms aren't so bad but my legs are really killing me. I'm out of Ibuprofen :(

Lauren - Google "light therapy", that will show you what a light box is. I have one and it really helps, it's for people who get depressed because they don't get enough of the proper spectrum of light. Canadian winters are notoriously grey and bleh. Even if you don't think you depression is influenced by this it very well may be. I was surprised at the difference it made for me.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
:wave: HI FELLOW CANUCKS ~ have a great day!

2b125by46
01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
You could also add some Vitamin D to your vitamin regimen if you don't take vitamins I suggest you consult your Dr. but I take a 1000 mg Vitamin D 3 times a day. I started this when I got my new job. I work 12 hr night shifts so even when the sun is out I don't see it very much. It has worked wonderfully for me.

Laura

retiredone
01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
We're getting snow and freezing rain mixed. Hope this doesn't last long. I hate walking indoors when the weather is bad. I also don't like going on my bike instead of walking.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
:flow1: Great weather here today; nice mild temps, esp for this time of year ... only around 0C or 32F ... having a good week so far -- eating well and happy about that ... Have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY ... :hug:

tricia80
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
three 12 hr shifts are done... my brain is mush... must find something to eat for dinner...

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Was busy yesterday catching up on my housechores; and did some stuff on my PC in the afternoon which always takes a lot of time. I am eating well this week; had to deal with some cravings yesterday but battled it out. Today, I made some healthy mini-muffins for snacks while DH fixed one of my cupboards for me. We awoke to some lovely :sunny: this AM, and it stayed til about an hour ago ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud :flow1:

L R K
01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Lauren - Google "light therapy", that will show you what a light box is. I have one and it really helps, it's for people who get depressed because they don't get enough of the proper spectrum of light. Canadian winters are notoriously grey and bleh. Even if you don't think you depression is influenced by this it very well may be. I was surprised at the difference it made for me.

Thanks for the info Aunty, I may just look into it, I am definitely missing sunshine! Oh and I am orginally from Australia, been in Canada for 5 years now, and what makes the lack of sunshine worse for me is when I call home to talk to my family - they are all so happy because it is summer over there now!!!! Sooooooo jealous!

Aunty Jam
01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
No problem, I really hope it helps you out. It sure helps me and I was born here!

Judy Lynn
01-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Lauren, Congratulations on reaching Onederland! That's a great accomplishment!

We have been having above zero temps for the past week or so. All the ice and snow is melting. :carrot: Have you all noticed the days getting longer? I can really notice it when I get off work it is actually light out! :carrot:

Need to get back on the treadmill. I've really been slacking lately.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
We had a mini ***** storm yesterday; and the temps were around 0C today too. Just having a nice, relaxing day at home. Having leftover roasted chicken and veggies in mushroom sauce for dinner with baked apples with granola for dessert (or snack).

It seems the days start to get longer in January; although it's 5:30 pm and it's dark out there already, but we do live further north than some of you ... but each day the light will stay longer and longer from now on ... :D

LAUREN ~ :congrat: on reaching onederland ... that is awesome! :carrot:

Have a great new week, everyone ... Rosebud :flow1:

Aunty Jam
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Laruen - I'm sorry! I didn't even notice, yes, congratulations! :)

I had a boost today, went to a baby shower and was told I looked great by the new mother. I haven't seen her since october so she noticed the change. But... I only lost 1 pound this week :( I'm blaming that on being a woman.

Edit - Oh, just noticed I haven't changed my current weight lately :( Yeesh, how much longer until I can get a ticker??? I'm impatient!!!!!!!!!!

Edit again - Ok, gone and done that.

kdcheck
01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Its always makes you feel better when someone notices hay aunty Jam. I cant wait to get a ticker either. Have a great week everyone:)

Aunty Jam
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
^ You are only 3 pounds away from onderland! I bet people can't help but to notice :)

tricia80
01-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Ok last week sucked. This week i am starting fresh and new... i thought i was getting TOM but the cramping has stopped so most likley a cyst got big and now is getting smaller.. I hope. I hate having cysts they are soooo painful...

TIme to go for a WI. I hope things are going in a better direction... i need a pick me up... Today is day 7 and i finally have a day off tomorrow... whooo hoooooooooooo

retiredone
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello everyone. It's so cold here. It's been mild all winter until Sunday morning. Wow, what a shock to the system. We went from hovering around 0 to +4 for about a month to -15 overnight. My fingers were so cold this morning when I walked even though I had doubled up on the gloves and mittens. I found a warmer pair for tomorrow so I hope that helps. I'm feeling like I want to eat warm baked things now that winter has so obviously arrived. I'll just have to suck it up (not the baked goods) and eat an apple. :D

tricia80
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I did a weigh in today and was 249.4 whoo hooo finally out of 250's barely... I am going out for dinner so i bought some extra herbs to help tonight...

its cold outside but not too cold and is more damp than anything.. which sucks for my poor knee which is killing me..

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
You ladies are all doing a great job ... I'm working on another single size at the moment becuz I know that's acheivable for me and it feels so good when my clothes are getting loose. I was thrilled when I went to buy some pants in December and my regular size was too big; yeah!

AUNTYJAM ~ I'm not surprised that your friend noticed your weightloss as 14 lbs can make a big difference; more than we realize sometimes! :congrat: to you too ...

KDCHECK ~ you are so close to onederland you must be itching to get those 3 lbs off ... you are off to a great start!

TRICIA ~ every milestone is a milestone; into a new unit of ten is very encouraging ... I'm marking every 5 and every single size too: these mini-goals help me keep up the momentum.

ISABELLA ~ I'm finding the lower temps bother me more this year too; maybe it's my age, I don't know! I just don't like my fingies and face freezing off, that's all! :brr:

We were blessed with beautiful :sunny: today, right up until mid-afternoon --now we have a light sprinkle of ***** going on here, but it is very pretty! Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow ... Rosebud :flow1:

retiredone
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Rosebud, the last two days weren't as cold as Monday and today the sun was shining as well. It was so much nicer walking.

WTG, Tricia, nothing like a new set of 10s to boost motivation.

tricia80
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
went out for dinner last night and ate waaaay too much sodium cuz i woke up thirsty like crazy this a.m. I found low sodium cottage cheese.. I hope it tastes good..

so i am drinking lots and nights are coming up so i hope all will be good...

2b125by46
01-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Tricia tell me more about the low sodium cottage cheese. I love the stuff but hate the sodium in it. I will need the name brand and where you found it Please.

I have completed my 4 days week of 12 hr nights. I had a 4 hr nap then went to pick up the kids at school. They still don't have a replcement for me at my school vehicle driving job. Then after supper at 730 went back to bed. Unfortunately I slept until 1130 pm and am now wide awake at 330 am. I will hopefully get back to sleep before I have to do my school bus job. I will be glad when my boss has a replacement for me. Its much easier to stay on a nights schedule when you don't have to chenge it back to days.

I haven't had much opportunity to use my new treadmill yet b/c of my job. I would be better off taking it to my Nights job. Not many alarms lately and I would have plenty of time to workout while at work. In the last two weeks of work I have read 4 books and working on no. 5.

I have hit a plateau in my weight loss but its mostly my fault. I don't seem to be as organized as I was during Xmas break whe only doing one job. Two jobs apparently keep me disorganized. I did however get me a cleaning lady to help out 2 days a week. It as nice coming home to a clean kitchen. I was too tired this morning to toalk with her at great length but she is back on Friday.

Congratulations to all those that are losing weight. I plan to check in more often. Keep up the good work.

Laura

Judy Lynn
01-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Laura, that sounds like a killer schedule. Thank goodness you got some help at home. I don' think you are disorganized, just burning the candle at both ends!

Nothing much new to report here. DS was home from Toronto for a few days, so that was nice. Snow in the forecast starting tomorrow. yuck! We just about have all the old snow melted, thank goodness.

My boss is still in Mexico soaking up the sun. :p

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
:wave: HI FOLKS ~ we had gorgeous :sunny: all day today; what a blessing for us, and really warmed the place up too. That's nice becuz the furnace doesn't come on as much then and saves some $$$. :D The temps have been much warmer this year: 0C, +5C in the day + -5C to -10C at night the last few days; and right now, it is +2C.

Couldn't let this day go by without going outdoors for awhile; did some ski-walking today. I only went down half the block & back (lengthwise though) and then did a loop around here; it took me a little over 25 minutes in all. I hadn't been out in a few days, so it was nice to get out there, and I also fed the birdies whilst I was at it too.

Spent the morning doing light housechores while DH was out & about doing his own thang. Hope you all have a great evening; take good care ... Rosebud :flow1:

tricia80
01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
The no added salt cottage cheese we bought is called Western Cottage cheese... It is like vacuum sealed... or at least looks like it... I bought it at Walmart but u can get it at zehr's sobeys foodland etc

Judy Lynn
01-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone, Hope you are having a good weekend.

We have to go to DH's staff Christmas party tonight. I would rather not go, but we have to as he is a manager there. Thank goodness it is the last of the holiday parties. I am very much a homebody. I would rather stay home curled up with a good movie or book than go out to social functions. Oh well.

I am very excited to see the scale dropping (four pounds this month), especially since it is January. I typically gain weight in the winter. Only a few more pounds until the halfway mark. :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-23-2010, 07:14 PM
JUDYLYNN ~ boy, they are having that Christmas party kinda late; the end of January? But hope you have fun anyways, and find lots of healthy things to munch on becuz you are doing sooo well! Congrats on losing another 4 lbs forever ... :carrot:

I'll have to look & see if we have low sodium cottage cheese here; we live in a smaller town so the selection is a bit smaller here. I like to use 1% cottage cheese in my sauces; makes them nice and creamy plus adds protein and calcium to the meal. I add 1/2 cup to things like mushroom sauce or pasta sauces too. Quick & easy ...

We had nice roasted chicken with veggies tonight; lots leftover to reheat for tomorrow. Have a Wonderful Weekend everyone ... Rosebud :flow1:

Judy Lynn
01-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I know, they left the planning too late to get a date in December, so they had to have it in January. It was actually a fun party. We had a snowstorm yesterday, and the band cancelled last-minute as they were from out of town and the roads were bad. Really last minute. Like half an hour before the party was to start. So, we scrambled and made some phone calls and got a hypnotist that could come in an hour. His show was really funny. He really got the audience involved. It was kind of a game show format. So from lemons came lemonade.

Looks like I will probably have to do some shovelling today to help DH. We got a real dump of snow (again!). Have a great Sunday!

Aunty Jam
01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks JW2BH :) I'm down a few more now and anxiously awaiting the day I can have a ticker!

Oh... I've been hypnotized before, what fun!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-24-2010, 06:05 PM
AUNTY ~ oh, I thought you just had to have 20 posts; you have more than that! Or is it based on something else? How long do you have to wait? I've been here for awhile, so I forget ... ;)

Hope you all are having a lovely Sunday; time to go check on dinner -- leftover roasted chicken & veggies, plus baked apples & blueberries for dessert ... smells awesome!

ttyl, Rosebud :flow1:

tricia80
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
hehehe i am gitty cuz a lady at church said she could tell when i was walking up to the pews today that from behind she could definately see a major change in my shape... whoo hooooo i am officially 17lbs down... and though its not a lot i am amazed ppl can tell...

its raining and foggy here tonight and i am moving next month so i am gonna be stressed to the max.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-24-2010, 10:22 PM
AUNTY ~ yeppers, you do have to have 20 posts ... and you have to wait until you have been a member for 20 days too! Probably pretty soon ... :hug:

:congrat: TRICIA ~ hey, 17 lbs is a lot of weight! Imagine 17 lbs of butter sitting on our dinner table ... you lost all that! I understand the stress of moving; we moved here last year; stress was an understatement as our movers bailed out on us and we had to find new ones, but we made it OK with lots of help from some :angel:

2b125by46
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Tricia, Thanks for the info I have seen that cottage cheese but never read the label. I will look into it. I buy their full fat sour cream for Dh. Also congratulations on the 17 lbs keep up the good work.

Congrats to Aunty as well for the weight she has lost.

Started my night shifts again. Slept better Sunday. Hopefully it will stay that way this week. Must try to get on the treadmill too this week. I am so looking forward to the day when my days off will actually be days off.

Keep up the good work ladies. I will pop in again when i can. take care everyone.

Laura

Aunty Jam
01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys :) Yes, I have a few more days to go... 2 or 3.

I've also discovered only 15 pounds can make a visable difference... I love it when people comment, really gets me going.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-25-2010, 07:45 PM
:wave: HELLO FELLOW CANUCKS ~ it rained last night; then froze, so we had ice and skating rinks this AM. Saw DH & a neighbour doing the slip & slide serenade so decided to stay home today. It was even milder today and by this aft, the roads were clear ... but now they are changing their minds and say the temps are going back down starting tomorrow ... :lol:

Uh, huh ... the joys of living in Canada, eh? Oh, it's not too bad really! We still have February and March to get through but the days are whizzing by. Have a great week ladies ... Rosebud :flow1:

tricia80
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
it rained yesterday but our community salters were out last night.. that is one thing about this area i love.. they do a good job of keeping the roads clear.. obviously not great when there are huge storms but they do a better job than when we lived in hamilton...

Well i barely ate or drank yesterday and AF decided to rear her head which means i broke a cyst... ahhhh i have to wait til feb 9 and i am gonna be asking my family doc for bcp.. cuz i am sick of the pain... anyways time to go and pack we move feb 20th... eeeeeek

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
TRICIA ~ did you get that new job? Are you moving north? I thought that maybe I missed a post or something; or did I just forget again ... ;)

It is pretty cold here again :brr: and the temps dropped down to -20C last night, and we could feel it in here: had to put the furnace up a tad. This AM, we had some more ***** flurries, then the :sunny: came out and warmed us up until the mid-afternoon when it ***** a litte more.

We just had an easy lazy day dinner tonight but I did make sure to have my salad along with it. Another lady and I were talking about how we need to eat some good fats every day to keep hunger cravings at bay.

I am reading a book called FOOD TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH; and it says that we need 1-2 tbl of good fats each day just for our body's to function well. Then it can get rid of the bad fat for us. I have put back in omega-3 margarine and oils like Canola and Soya Oil; and Olive Oil (neutral); and, you can get good oils from nuts, nut butters, and avocados and still lose weight.

Hope you are all having a great week ... Rosebud :flow1:

Aunty Jam
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Any other Canadians still doing the X-Weighted challange? I'm down a bit more :)

retiredone
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes, I'm doing the X-Weighted challenge. I won a cookbook on one of the blogs where you had to submit a clean recipe.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
ISABELLA ~ please do share that winning recipe with us, please!!! We'd love to know what a CLEAN recipe is too ... thanks! :D

KUDOS to you, AUNTY JAM ~ keep up the good work! And look at that pretty ticker ... :carrot:

It's very cold here: -20C right now, but it was only -13C with that lovely :sunny: we had today. :brr: Kept busy so far this week doing housechores, some mending, and today, laundry catch-up.

Tomorrow is Friday; the last day of the working week -- hope you all have a great one! Rosebud :flow1:

Aunty Jam
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes, I'm doing the X-Weighted challenge. I won a cookbook on one of the blogs where you had to submit a clean recipe.

Good stuff! What kind of cook book is it? Do you know yet? And yes, I'd love to have the recipe :)

Thanks Rosebud :) I'm kind of bummed because I have a cold and not a lot of energy to do much this last little while, but it's only a temporary set back.

I'm thinking of changing my goal weight to 135, it was my actual goal when I started but I was worried I would never make it. Even just 5 pounds seems big in my mind :rolleyes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
:wave: HELLO FELLOW CANUCKS ~ I hear it was really cold in southern Ontario today; colder than here and we live way, way up north. Last night went down to about -22C -- and today with that beautiful :sunny: shining, it was around -10C, but it may have been a bit colder than that. Sometimes, the sun camouflages the true temperature. I know that my fingies would freeze within minutes of taking my mittens off just to unlock the doors today.

We went out shopping as I was getting low on veggies and other essentials. I had cabbage rolls for dinner tonight; yummy and healthy too. Have a great evening people and keep warm ... Rosebud :flow1: