100 lb. Club - Winter is approaching,

View Full Version : Winter is approaching,

2b125by46
11-01-2009, 04:32 PM
What are your plans to lose weight and stay healthy this winter. I don't want to be one of those people that gain weight over the winter b/c of inactivity which can happen to a lot of us in the Colder areas of North America. Colorado has already had a snow storm. I have had to finally turn the furnace on here in SW Ontario.

My plan is:

Cardio of some kind 6 days a week and strength train 3 days a week.
My MIL gave me her elliptical trainer. Picked it up yesterday. I tried it this morning. was able to do 5 min before I thought I would lose a lung. I am hoping that by the time the warmer weather rolls around I can do an hour on it. Right now I am doing 5 min intervals 2 hr. apart. Can we say out of shape.

LMB

Suezeeque
11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I swim 3X a week. I have to drive 45 miles OW to do it and in the winter I've been caught in a blizzard a few times and had to wait it out at a gas station. I've been thinking about getting a treadmill for the intervening days and also on days I can't do the drive.

Sometimes, depending on how cold it is (e.g. -25F) I have to talk myself into going out at all. Have to get my butt in gear because even those trips use calories, like just walking around Walmart for two hours.

I love winter veggies but they have more calories than a lot of fruits that I eat in the summer so I have to watch that. I ate an entire butternut squash yesterday for example!

I know what you mean about the furnace. I finally had to turn it on upstairs a couple of days ago. I have radiators. And I have to put plastic coverings on the upstairs computer room windows to get ready for those nor'easters. Burrrrr.

Elladorine
11-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I just signed up for my Y membership the day before yesterday. I can't wait for swimming! :carrot:

raebeaR
11-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I gave myself an early Christmas present -- a Wii Fit, just to battle exactly this concern. Although Oregon doesn't get much snow, walking/hiking in the rain and cold gets old. Now I have NO excuses!!

EveLHaelf
11-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I plan on running on the indoor track that is on base and swimming along with weight training! yay!:carrot:

Lyn2007
11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Indoor exercise: recumbent bike & Wii Fit
Outdoor exercise: walking twice a week unless it is absolutely freezing or pouring rain, when my child is in preschool.
Food: enjoy winter stuff like pomegranates, Clementines, winter squash, leeks, hot veggie soups, beans.
Other: use the mood light daily starting in December.

FitGirlyGirl
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
EveLHaelf - My ex-husband is stationed there.

I am lucky to be living in a place that is much warmer than some of the places you guys are in. We do get ice storms though and they are nasty. I am also lucky enough to have a free gym with an indoor track. I will be spending time there during the winter. I plan to spend the winter becoming a runner and in the spring transfer it to the great outdoors. I also have an elliptical and lots of exercise DVDs at home.

ubergirl
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The Y is GREAT!!

I've been swimming indoors all summer and fall, so that won't be a change for me. I have a treadmill in my basement, and I didn't use it much at first, but now, I get on it if I miss swim time.

2b125by46
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Well I managed to do 4 5 min segmants on the Elliptical yesterday and I can really feel it in my upper legs(quads) I did manage to get 5 min in this morning before work. Right now I am going to have a nap. Not sleeping well at night.

Pita09
11-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I plan to keep to my calorie counting, which has slacked off, but I'm re-committing!!
I plan to continue to hit the gym at least 4 days a week and do a minimum of an hour of cardio.
I just got a new diet buddy and I plan to beat her in ever single challenge. :D

FitGirlyGirl
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
2b125by45 - You will be surprised at how much you can do on the elliptical in no time. At the beginning of July when I started using mine 5 minutes on minimum resistance was killing me. Working up to 10 at a time was seriously hard, but getting from 10 to 15 was a bit easier, from 15 to 20 was even easier, 20 to 25 was a piece of cake, and I actually did 30 for the first time on accident. Now I do at least 30 every time and am working more on my resistance. Most of my 30 minutes is spent at 2 or more these days and I can do 5 for 5 minutes straight and 10 for 2 minutes at a time. I've done up to 45 minutes total on the machine at a time, with varying resistance levels. If I kept the resistance levels lower I am sure I could do an hour or more at this point. I've only been working on it 4 months. I'm sure that you can work up to an hour over the winter, especially if you focus on time first and worry about resistance levels later.

thistoo
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm planning to train to run a half marathon this winter. I live in a fairly snow-free climate, but it's still cold and I'm not sure how much running outside my lungs will be able to take, but I'm going to try.

dragonwoman64
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
when I first tried the elliptical I struggled with 5 min too. I had to work up to it, now I do it for however long a time (usually break it up 20 treadmill, 20 elliptical or arc machine)

I find it easier to keep on track in the winter than the summer. I think going out more in the summer I'm more tempted to eat out, and more likely to do it too. during the winter I'm more motivated to cook at home. my exercise is mostly the gym and home exercise, I walk too, but the walking feels more like it helps me mentally, though it doesn't hurt to have the extra activity.

2b125by46
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM
FitGirlyGirl, I didn't even know the Elliptical came with resistance. I will have to check mine. Thanks for all your encouragement ladys. I am glad to see this is how you build up, 5 min at a time.

My legs do hate me today though.

duckyyellowfeet
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I live in california, so snow isn't an issue. But I hate rain, so I'm going to have constant battle to get myself out of my house and into the gym. Luckily, I have a pretty motivated gym buddy, so I should be ok.

I have to start planning meals better because when it gets cold, I just want things to be easy!

Nada
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm wierd, I lose more in the winter than the summer. I think I work harder when it's cooler, eat more soup and oatmeal and don't give in to ice cream.

Thistoo, which half marathon are you going to do? I'm starting training for the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in late April. I walked/ran it last year and it was loads of fun.

Lindifer
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a question for elliptical users... I can't even go for 5 minutes on mine right now, I get a sore muscle above my knee and then I get a charlie horse there. I could work through the soreness, but not the muscle locking up! LOL so I was wondering for those who have worked up to a half hour or more... should I just keep trying everyday? Or should I wait until my muscle doesn't hurt or what?

I got it for when it snows, but at this rate walking in the snow would be more efficient since I can't do anything on this dumb machine yet.

2b125by46
11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Lindifer, If you are getting charlie horses in you Quad muscles you need to stretch them try marching in place to warm up the muscles by getting the blood flowing the stretch the muscle before and after the elliptical workout, check out this site for a stretch; http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Quadriceps/Standing.html

The more it gets stretched the better you will feel. I am not getting charlies but I know I have worked my legs.

Arctic Mama
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I'll be mainly on my recumbent bike, as winters here can be really nasty and getting the kids outside without a vehicle never works well when it's windy and below 0F.

If 'Santa' is looking at my Amazon list this year, I *should* be getting a good set of resistance bands, and then I will add strength training to my workout.

I made sure when I started this journey that most of my exercise was indoors, so that way any additional outdoors stuff in the summer is a bonus but I do not fall off the wagon during our LOOONG winters here. October to the beginning of May is usually snowy, though this year it has been dry and just bitterly cold thus far!

Thighs Be Gone
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, I ran almost every single day all last winter and plan to do it again this winter. Weather wise--come what may--I will still be running. People thought I was NUTS to be out last winter but I really don't care--I knew what I had to do and am proud for doing it.

I do some strength training indoors. I hope to find a *new* indoor rock climbing place to begin climbing. I really like it. I also am signing up at a local Yoga place--10 classes for 10 dollars type thing. It is "hot" yoga and figure it will be really awesome in the cold of winter.

JustBeckyV
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Well its definitely a new for me. Luckily my parents have a tread mill so on days it's too cold i am heading over there. I am planning on getting a treadmill for christmas.

thistoo
11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Thistoo, which half marathon are you going to do? I'm starting training for the Country Music Marathon in Nashville in late April. I walked/ran it last year and it was loads of fun.

I'm doing the Knoxville Marathon in March. I haven't even run it yet and already I'm like, "What other races could I do?" though. LOL, I think this is a case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach, so to speak!

FitGirlyGirl
11-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Lindifer - I have to second what 2b125by45 said. Warm up and stretch then do the elliptical and then stretch. There is no reason to put yourself in so much pain, so stop when you know the charlie horse is coming, maybe when it is still just a cramp and stretch then. You should be able to work up to it this way. Good luck!

2b125by46
11-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I spent yesterday in class all day for a Security course. I passed the final exam and recieved my certificate and had my picture taken recieving the certificate. I also finally recieved my certificate from a course I took in Gravenhurst last year. I spent a week up there at the end of sept '08 taking this course. Apparently my boss in Security doesn't like just handing over certificates he like to present them cerimonially.

I have had a good day today. food wise. I am trying to figure out supper right now. I feel like I am off my planning game lately. Yesterday I was up very early to take DH to work then home again to get ready for my trip to class. I drove an hour and half away. was in class all day. I took my breakfast and lunch with me including snacks but I forgot the drive home. When I stopped to get son bananas I sucumbed to fast easy on sale halloween bars.

Today I napped between driving kids to school (main job). I am still feeling off my game. I don't know how to explain it.