PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation PCOS November WL Support

Hello and Welcome All to the PCOS WL Support November 2009 Thread!

This thread is about PCOS and Weight Loss Support. If you have PCOS, or think you might, or know anybody that might have it, or your just curious or you just think we are totally awesome, so you just wanna chat with us, please join us!

Losing weight with PCOS is like trying to rollerskate up an icy hill. With all the wonderful lovely side effects, extra facial and body hair, skin tags, dark skin patches, weight gain, etc, etc, etc........

Everybody is whether you are trying to conceive or not!

Some come on in, get a cupa whatever and join us in a chat.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 11-01-2009 at 11:13 AM.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #2  
Krissy Rose

S/C/G: 228.4/221/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello! I am new to 3FC, and after attempting Weight Watchers 3 previous times, I finally joined again on Thursday. For the first time, I can actually say I'm making a whole-hearted commitment. I've been through many fertility treatments, and I've come to the realization that the best thing I can do for myself (and WHEN it happens, my future child... ) is to get healthy. Not just to lose weight, but to get healthy. It's inspiring to see so many fellow PCOSers lose weight. It gives me hope!
Krissy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #3  

Hello All!!

Thanks for changing the title Jennifer! (originally posted as October oops lol)

Hey Krissy - Welcome to 3FC, yup, you're gonna find plenty of support here from the ladies. We're all experimenting and trying to find ways to cope with the symptoms of this condition and supporting each other along the way

October is over and I've lost a total of ~11 lbs! wo0t! I think that's the maximum I have ever lost in one month since I was Rx with PCOS. I think its a combination of things which are: Switching from bcps to Actos, Reducing carb intake, increasing activity level. Also minor things which I think still helped are: green tea & grapefruit. I've been trying to drink green tea with almost every meal because of its fat blocking benefits, I'm actually starting to crave it sometimes! I'm also eating grapefruit which I used to seriously hate, my Dr. told me it has fat burning enzymes plus keeps you full and is low in sugars. I'm still going to experiment with this for another month, I also still need to get my blood works done (ugh lazy!)

Sorry for the long post, hope everyone else is doing great!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #4  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

Hi girls!
I'm new here, just thought I'd jump in! I posted on the last of October thread..here's a bit about me..I have IR and PCOS, have been unable to conceive thus far, so first of October started on a low carb diet, phentermine, and my bcp again since I am taking phentermine and it would be my luck to miraculously get prego now taking that stuff! Anyhow, I'm giving myself a year or so trying to lose the weight then we'll be back on the trying to conceive wagon. Until then, hey its fun to practice, LOL!

Krissy-Welcome! Good luck and look forward to hearing more from you!

JigglyBits- Congratulations on 11 lbs gone! I have been thinking about including some green tea too, every thing I read has nothing but positive things to say about it, so hey worth a try. Curious...how do you drink it? Cold,hot,any add ins?

Good Luck everybody!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #5  

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum but not to PCOS (diagnosed 11 years ago). I was wondering, how did you get diagnosed with IR? Did you go through your gyno or general practitioner to find out, or straight to an endocrinologist?

I don't want to self-diagnose myself, but its pretty obvious - I have PCOS, I gain all my weight around the middle, and I gain 3 lbs every time I look at a potato or pasta. I feel like its so difficult to find a new doctor that will accept new patients/take insurance/etc these days but maybe a diagnosis will help me?
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #6  
Each day is a victory!

Twinklebug- I'm in a small town and we have a pediatrician/endocrinologist/surgeon LOL. I'm a healthcare provider and knew this doc so I went to him for the official diagnosis, but I monitor through my general physician (also my gyno)...like I said, small town... I had the basic lab work done and also did a check on my insulin level (fasting). I don't see any reason why a general practitioner couldn't do this basic work up for you. You could see a nurse practitioner as well for this, they generally are more flexible in taking new patients and insurances like em b/c they are quite a bit cheaper too. Remember, this is not medical advice, just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Last edited by KaCee J; 11-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #7  

Thanks KaCee! I think I'll go to a GP and start there. There are definitely small town advantages - like you don't have to pick a new doctor from hundreds because you only have a few choices!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #8  

Good Morning Ladies!

KaCee - Good luck with WL & TTC I like drinking it hot basically, I buy the loose leaf type in bulk from our local Chinese store taste better and much cheaper. Trick is don't let it steep for too long or it will taste bitter 1-2 mins is enough. I also like the jasmine type for a change sometimes. Try to find Oolong tea as well, I've heard that its fat blocking abilities are higher than green tea but I still have to try it myself.

twinklebug - Welcome to 3FC. I'm like KaCee I was diagnosed by a GP as well but I already had an idea of what PCOS was so I asked them to run the tests for me and once it was confirmed I went to an endo. Good luck with your tests, keep us posted!

Hope everyone else is doing fine
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #9  

I'm scheduled for a doctor appointment Dec.6th. I'm going to try to keep losing until then, my ultimate goal is to avoid medication if possible.

I hope everyone is enjoying fall and having a good week.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #10  
Each day is a victory!

twinklebug- good luck with the dr appt and I hope you can avoid medication also!

I tried the green tea, I like it! You are right about not letting it steep too long too, it got a little nasty the other night when I forgot about it

Take care everyone, hope you are all preparing for the holidays and going to get to see family and friends!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

KaCee, both times for me to get pregnant I lost a bit over 5% of my body weight. I had lost over 10% of my body weight before I got married and we decided to TTC right away. I got pregnant pretty much instantly.
But after my son I gained it all back. When we TTC again it just wasn't happening. My cycles were neverending, I never knew when or if I would ovulate, etc etc. It was during this time I got diagnosed. Dr told me he would put me on metformin, but he wanted me to lose some weight first. I lost 5% of my body weight and was scheduled to go in for another ultrasound and to get my Rx for met when BAM! the week before I was scheduled to go in I got a BFP!!! My ultrasound ended up seeing my sweet baby girl instead of my cysts

So even though it can be tough, weight loss can really help our bodies keep our PCOS symptoms at bay!
GL TTC!!!
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #12  
Each day is a victory!

HeaterAS-That is so wonderful! I am hoping my experiences will be equally as positive! Guessing those are your kids in your profile pic, they are beautiful!
I hope they get the site fixed soon, this is the first time I have been able to log in for 2 days...and dangit I need my 3FC!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #13  

Just an updated to let you know I got my 2nd TOM on Actos bcp free. Seems my cycles are 30 days

Hope everyone is doing ok!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Good morning! All is well here. Well now, it is! My father was in the hospital, and I gained a couple of pounds while consoling myself! But it's coming back off.

I had withdrawals as well! I'm glad we're back up and running!

JigglyBits, congrats!!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #15  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Hey ladies!!

Missed you all. I have been trying to fight this nasty cold. Then in the mean time trying to tell myself that I need to get back on the WL Wagon.

How is everyoe else doing??
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote