Weight Loss Support - thanksgiving??

View Full Version : thanksgiving??

mom4life
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I've been debating what to do. I'm on Atkins so I know I could have turkey and I could make a Low Carb Pumpkin pie.
I have this dream every once and a while that if I give myself a cheat meal for that day, I'll wake up the next day fat or I regain all the weight I lost. :(

Are you going to do a thanksgiving cheat meal? Do you have these thoughts?

nelie
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I've had quite a few thanksgivings since I've started losing weight. I try to make them fairly healthy meals though. This year, I'm not sure what I'm going to do as I usually cook for my inlaws. I'm not sure I want to do anything this year so it may just be a normal day.

If I do cook for my inlaws, it'll be a fairly healthy vegan meal with lots of veggies, whole grains and squash. I have done a dessert on the healthier side before but dessert is one of my least favorite things to make.

carter
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
It's just one day. I'll eat some of all the dishes I like without making a pig of myself, and it will be fine. One mildly indulgent meal just doesn't make or break a long-term process.

I know there are different considerations with Atkins, that eating one meal off plan can upset the precariously controlled imbalances that are supposedly established on the Atkins plan. Even so, one meal can't make you put back all the weight you've lost. It's just not physically possible. At worst you'll show a small gain for a few days, maybe stall out your weight loss for a week or two - at the very worst. So what? You didn't get fat in a week and you won't lose it in a week either. This is a long-term process, isn't it?

Don't make yourself crazy about Thanksgiving. Just enjoy your holiday without eating heaping portions of everything in sight, and get back on plan the next day. That's all.

mandalinn82
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I try not to make myself crazy about big special occasion holiday meals. While I am moderate (one plate, half veggies, white turkey, etc), I'm going to have a roll. I'm going to have mashed potatoes. There will be wine. I'm probably even going to have a small slice of pie.

But if I exercise that morning and cut my calories back slightly for the rest of the week, it usually evens out OK. Even if I do get a temporary gain, it goes away pretty quickly, and it's never something I plan to worry about.

If you build these meals up as "all or nothing" (ie, I will stick STRICTLY to my plan vs I will BLOW my plan entirely and go off the rails), IMO it's more destructive than trying to take a moderate, reasonable approach. You won't gain all of your weight back overnight from a moderate meal (or even from an off-the-rails meal...though with the second, you probably will feel overfull and gross, which is what I try to avoid).

weebleswobble
10-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm not going to cheat, it's not worth it FOR ME. I am going to have alternatives that are like Thanksgiving, because I like those flavors. But something has changed in my palate, and I just don't crave all those nasty sweet desserts and those bloaty breads any more.

JerseyGyrl
10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been on Atkins 5 years now and have never "cheated" on Thanksgiving or any holidays or special occassions. There are too many delicious alternatives. So called "cheat days" only lead to disaster for me.

mom4life
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I'll look at the other dishes on that site. :-)

rockinrobin
10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
The year I was losing nothing mattered to me more then getting the weight off. NOTHING. So my desire to overindulge just wasn't there. And therefore I didn't.

Turkey breast. Butternut squash. Roasted beans. Brussel sprouts. Baked apples. It was all delicious. Great food. Football. Spending time with family I rarely see. It was a great day.

Lexxiss
10-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I've been on Atkins 5 years now and have never "cheated" on Thanksgiving or any holidays or special occassions. There are too many delicious alternatives.

Same with South Beach. I'm going to stay OP. Next year I'll reevaluate.

mom4life
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Planning to also stay OP, just seems hard since I'm cooking this year. Since Hubby is also on a weight loss program, I'm sure he wants to avoid all the unhealthy stuff too.

nelie
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
If you are cooking, then you should definitely be able to cook choices that are on plan.

Glory87
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
My rules for Thanksgiving:

* It is one meal, not a 4 day food extravaganza
* One plate, one roll, one small dessert. one glass of wine
* Get rid of any offplan leftovers as quickly as possible - ie, let your family keep all the pies, save turkey breast for sandwiches

One meal did not make me fat. One Thanksgiving dinner will not make me fat.

midwife
10-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Agreed, Glory. HoliDAY, not holiweek or holimonth or holi2months.....

rockinrobin
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I really find Thanksgiving the easiest of the holidays to stay on plan with. I guess it's the turkey. It's also the fact that it IS one day as opposed to the whole holiday party season. It also helps that I do a lot of the cooking, though we go to my Mom.

mom4life
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
That's what I'm stressing on, Its only my husband, me and our 4 kids (three are 5 and under). All extended family lives out of state. So any food I make stays here. We do have a friend coming to visit so I'm hoping he'll eat a good amount. LOL
I'm leaning more towards going out to eat at some buffet. At least I don't have to try the food. I just grab what I want and that's it.

JustBeckyV
10-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I plan on eating what's there but in moderation. I don't eat pumpkin pie - I am allergic lol so that doesn't tempt me. Mine will be bread -- which I just won't eat. Just give me veggies and turkey! lol

PammyFl
10-30-2009, 05:49 PM
My boyfriend and his family are coming down for Thanksgiving and I intend to have a "free" day, and there will be pie. I'm not going to limit the things I love im just going to eat it in small portions. I will be making alot of the food so making small changes to make it slightly healthier without my family crying over "healthy food" (Which they do about EVERYTHING) Plus a little bit of casual walking after dinner always helps :) Good luck ladies!

nelie
10-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Honestly, there is nothing that says that you have to have a huge feast just because it is Thanksgiving. I think the year before last, we ate chinese leftovers on Christmas.

If you were having a guest come tomorrow, what would you make for them? Would it be on plan for you? How about lots of roasted veggies? How about raw veggies with a hummus dip?

I cook for my inlaws a fair bit and really I don't cook for them anything I wouldn't eat.

yayalyn
10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I've been debating what to do. I'm on Atkins so I know I could have turkey and I could make a Low Carb Pumpkin pie.
I have this dream every once and a while that if I give myself a cheat meal for that day, I'll wake up the next day fat or I regain all the weight I lost. :(

Are you going to do a thanksgiving cheat meal? Do you have these thoughts?

You can have turkey, mashed cauliflower and low carb pumpkin pie. I did atkins when i had my daughter I lost all the baby weight with atkins and breastfeeding in 2 weeks and i went to the weight i was (165) ever since (5yrs.ago) then i have lost and gain weight but the heaviest i got to was 175 and it wasn't til my daughter was 3. As long as you eat whole wheat/grain carbs you'll be fine. You should try vegan or vegetarian recipes they use whole wheat flour or soy flour & some use rice flour you should really look into it. Conmgratul;ations on ur weight loss and good luck with the rest of your journey!!

JerseyGyrl
10-30-2009, 07:06 PM
While it may not be the popular opinion...IMHO, for me, Atkins is my lifestyle, 365 days a year...be it Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, DBF's birthday etc. I don't deviate from it...because if I do, I'm in trouble.

rockinrobin
10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
While it may not be the popular opinion...IMHO, for me, Atkins is my lifestyle, 365 days a year...be it Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, DBF's birthday etc. I don't deviate from it...because if I do, I'm in trouble.

Wow. I'm fairly certain I couldn't do that. But clearly it is working for you and clearly you are loving your lifestyle AND like you said, it keeps you out of trouble. :smug:

:bravo:

WaterRat
10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree that it needn't be a huge feast just because it's Thanksgiving. The little kids won't eat much, and you can figure out how much 3 adults - two of them trying to lose weight - will eat. Just don't make a lot of things. Choose maybe two or three dishes that say Thanksgiving to you, and make them in reasonable portions. :) You'll do fine.

duckyyellowfeet
10-31-2009, 01:02 AM
I feel like Thanksgiving will be a very eye-opening experience for me in terms of how to cope with food outside of my plan. I want to maintain once I've reached my goal weight but I also feel that, personally, I can't live in a WW bubble forever. I need to learn to eat in moderation without a measuring cup and a defined ingredient list. Personally, I want to learn these lessons early.

rockinrobin
10-31-2009, 08:08 AM
I feel like Thanksgiving will be a very eye-opening experience for me in terms of how to cope with food outside of my plan. I want to maintain once I've reached my goal weight but I also feel that, personally, I can't live in a WW bubble forever. I need to learn to eat in moderation without a measuring cup and a defined ingredient list. Personally, I want to learn these lessons early.

We're all different. But for me, it was first things first. I needed the weight off, like yesterday. I was fearful for my life and leaving my children motherless. I needed to firmly get the control thing down pat. I wasn't taking any chances on letting things spiral out of control. I knew one tiny bite could *possibly* derail the whole day or week and I wasn't willing to stall my weight loss. I'd been that route before and it always led to disaster. This time HAD to be different. But that's just me. Like I said, I was fearful for my life. I knew (hoped) eventually, waaaay down the road I could add in occasional splurges and not have them trigger horrible eating episodes and now that I'm in maintenance that's how it's been.

Teachyrchildren
10-31-2009, 09:24 AM
I think, that no matter how you approach the day, you need a plan you can and will stick with. Whether it's limiting yourself to only healthy on-plan choices; or giving yourself tiny samples of less healthy options; or deciding to go off plan for just that one meal with extra exercise and careful eating for the rest of the week. What's important is finding a plan for the day that will work for keeping your mind and mouth in the right place.

For me, we're going to a cousin's this year. (I have an enormous family, and we help out whoever is hosting each year. Thirty people isn't unusual for us.) I asked her what I could bring to help out, and found out what she was planning on serving. I'm bringing two healthy dishes (sauteed swiss chard with wild mushrooms; a shredded carrot and cranberry salad with ginger dressing, both recipes from this month's Bon Appetit magazine) and a healthy dessert (platter of nice fresh fruit with a yogurt/honey/mint dip). I'm planning on loading my plate with the healthy things, and taking a small spoonful of two the off-plan foods, and one glass or wine.

rockinrobin
10-31-2009, 09:31 AM
I think, that no matter how you approach the day, you need a plan you can and will stick with. Whether it's limiting yourself to only healthy on-plan choices; or giving yourself tiny samples of less healthy options; or deciding to go off plan for just that one meal with extra exercise and careful eating for the rest of the week. What's important is finding a plan for the day that will work for keeping your mind and mouth in the right place.

For me, we're going to a cousin's this year. (I have an enormous family, and we help out whoever is hosting each year. Thirty people isn't unusual for us.) I asked her what I could bring to help out, and found out what she was planning on serving. I'm bringing two healthy dishes (sauteed swiss chard with wild mushrooms; a shredded carrot and cranberry salad with ginger dressing) and a healthy dessert (platter of nice fresh fruit with a yogurt/honey/mint dip). I'm planning on loading my plate with the healthy things, and taking a small spoonful of two the off-plan foods, and one glass or wine.

Yes. I think it's important to have a SPECIFIC plan and SET strategy going into the day. Don't wait till you get there and wing it. Too risky. A strategy in place.

I. Want. Those. Recipes. Is is possible to pass them along? Please? They sound phenomenal! And your plan sounds top notch. :smug:

Teachyrchildren
10-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I. Want. Those. Recipes. Is is possible to pass them along? Please?

Carrot and Cranberry salad: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2009/11/carrot_and_cranberry_salad_with_fresh_ginger_dress ing
Sautee of Winter Greens with Mushrooms (I'm planning on increasing the mushrooms and using shiitakes, baby bellas, and dried porcinis) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Saute-of-Winter-Greens-and-Shiitake-Mushrooms-355759

The whole November Bon Appetit issue has many fantastic, healthy Thanksgiving recipes.

dragonwoman64
10-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Rachel, we have that same situation, what we make basically stays here as leftovers. I love making sweet potato pie, but that means having an entire pie that I will not being able to resist, which means not a one-time, small piece indulgence. I stopped baking bread (yes, I used to make homemade rolls!!), and pies. I like making stuffing (one of my favorite dishes), but maybe I'll do something else this year that's better for me.

I didn't change all my non helpful Thanksgiving meal thinking in one year (a time to go hog wild cooking and eating). I do look and approach it much differently now. It's not so fun to have to deal with the weight loss backtracking, and I don't want to approach the holiday with dread. lower cal delicious stuff is the best way for me to go.

I'm not sure why, but when bf reheats and serves the leftovers, he seems to want to pile the plates high, like we have to plow through everything in as short a time as possible. he actually needs to gain weight this year (just a few lbs) (!!!)