Weight Loss Support - The Halloween candy is killing me!

kellost
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I know, I know, I know......why is it in the house and why is it open???? Well, my kids had a "Trunk or Treat" at school last weekend, and of course I had leftover candy. So it's sitting here in a bucket for Halloween, looking so inviting.

My strategy was to not buy any chocolate, because chocolate is my trigger. Sure, I'll eat the other stuff, but not like I do with the chocolate. Plus, I figure the sugary-sweet stuff is at least fat free.

Problem is, my kids went "Trunk or Treating". Which means their bags got filled with chocolate. I didn't think about that! So chocolate made it into my house after all. And I'm having a little bit of a hard time resisting the Hershey bars, Kit Kats and especially the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!

I haven't gone too crazy, but I've definitely snacked on it this week. I think I'm still within my calorie range, but the candy in the house is not helping me at all.

I can't wait until Halloween gets here, and I'll be giving it away by the fistful. But again, the problem is my kids are gonna bring home more.

Onederchic
10-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, just remember it's your kids candy so don't eat it :p

Haley8203
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, just remember it's your kids candy so don't eat it :p

that doesnt ever work lol

Onederchic
10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Hehe :D Well..gotta be stronger than the urge to eat it. My health is too important to toss my calories away on a moment (or two) of chocolate deliciousness :p

mandalinn82
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
There are a couple of "NO HALLOWEEN CANDY" pledge threads out there - why not join one, commit to not have any more from this moment on, and stick to that commitment? What's done is done, but you have the power to stop any more damage from taking place right now.

koolkiwi
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I totally feel for you kellost... chocolate is my worst weightloss enemy. I have zero will power if it is in the house. Its so bad that I can't even have chocolate chips for baking in the house, I had to throw the last half full bag in the trash. I don't even have any advice for you other than get your kids or husband or whoever to hide it. I would put it in my husbands car trunk until halloween and my kids would be told to eat the chocolate first or the chocolate fairy would come steal it the next day. Anyways, good luck!

Idealmuse
10-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Can you put it in a bowl and wrap like 1/4 box of plastic wrap over the whole thing so it's a pain and embarassing to get into? :)

Windchime
10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Can you put it in a bowl and wrap like 1/4 box of plastic wrap over the whole thing so it's a pain and embarassing to get into? :)

Ooooh, that's a good idea. I bought my Halloween candy at Costco this weekend and have left it in the trunk of my car. I've made a committment to leave the bag unopened until the Trick or Treaters start coming. I will save out a few pieces for myself and my goal is to keep it under 300 calories. I'm very fortunate that I don't have little Trick Or Treaters living with me, so all I have to deal with is the candy for the neighborhood kids.

I know it's hard, but as Onderchick says, maybe if you think about it from a health perspective it will be easier to say "no".

kellost
10-28-2009, 08:38 PM

Oooh, great idea! I might try that! Thanks!

ajowens
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Ugh! It is so hard. I am going through the same thing!

Idealmuse
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Ooooh, that's a good idea. I bought my Halloween candy at Costco this weekend and have left it in the trunk of my car. I've made a committment to leave the bag unopened until the Trick or Treaters start coming. I will save out a few pieces for myself and my goal is to keep it under 300 calories. I'm very fortunate that I don't have little Trick Or Treaters living with me, so all I have to deal with is the candy for the neighborhood kids.

I know it's hard, but as Onderchick says, maybe if you think about it from a health perspective it will be easier to say "no".

Yeah or toss it out and buy more if you're not on a budget (I'm cheap though I couldn't do it!) I'm with Windchime - I bought mine yesterday and picked out the thing I was least likely to eat (all candy is dangerous though) and promised myself I WOULD NOT OPEN until the door bell starts ringing!

DCHound
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
I white-knuckled it through last year just by telling myself that I REFUSE to be fat for one second longer than I HAVE to.

This year, I'm practicing avoidance and going out-of-town on Halloween night. :)

time2lose
10-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Wrap it as suggest above and then put your kids in charge of it. Tell them that you would like their help in not eating it. Maybe make a chart and let them give you stars if you resist. I bet they will love the role reversal and you won't want to tell them that you gave in to temptation!

duckyyellowfeet
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I am so totally with you.
As I type this, I am sitting next to, no joke, over 80 bags of halloween candy. Its been sitting in my house since Sunday, and every day, I have more and more people give me some. I sat in the cold for 45 minutes waiting for more!
Since I'm running the Halloween event for my sorority, everyone has been giving me their required two bags of candy...but there is no one but myself to makes sure all 80 bags get there...no one would notice a couple gone.

I just keep telling myself its not worth it. Sure, i could get away with it, just like you could get away with sneaking some of your kids' candy. But that doesn't mean your body won't know about it...and derailing all of the work you're putting in for the rest of the day just doesn't seem worth it. Put the candy some place where its not in your line of sight often...out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck!

Onederchic
10-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Wrap it as suggest above and then put your kids in charge of it. Tell them that you would like their help in not eating it. Maybe make a chart and let them give you stars if you resist. I bet they will love the role reversal and you won't want to tell them that you gave in to temptation!

I love this idea!

Heather
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I am also to just planning to not be home on halloween. No candy will enter the house.

blueberry3
10-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I know it's so hard to resist all the candy around this week! Fitness (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/control-cravings/avoid-halloween-candy-binge/#at) has a good article about this...I thought it was pretty useful. They suggest if you buy candy, get tootsie rolls or 3 musketeers, which have considerably less calories!

patchworkpenguin
10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
duckyyellowfeet,I am proud of you for your resistance! I don't think I could do that! At least one bag would be open...

Last year, Hubby and I had to buy candy twice because we ate the first bag, so this year no candy in the house until Sat! Afternoon, if possible!

I like to put temptation on top of the high shelves in the living room. I can still reach it, sigh, but its not staring me if the face either.

JustBeckyV
10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
That's why I haven't gotten any to give out yet even. I will wait until the last minute if I am going to give some out.

weebleswobble
10-30-2009, 02:25 PM
take the candy to a friend's house, to your church, lock it in your car, put it in the scary room in your basement, your attic, your shed, whatever. Get it away from the place you are in.

DO NOT EAT THE CANDY. IT WANTS TO KILL YOU. IT IS POISONED WITH SUGAR AND TRANS-FATS! ISN'T THAT SCARY???

:)

Glory87
10-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Last year I bought 3 Musketeer bars, which I hate.

Jae165
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
DO NOT EAT THE CANDY. IT WANTS TO KILL YOU. IT IS POISONED WITH SUGAR AND TRANS-FATS! ISN'T THAT SCARY???

:)

OMG!!! Too funny:dizzy:
I almost spit apple all over my keyboard reading this:D

Ruthxxx
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
After years of research and study, I have determined that chips, red liquorice, ju-jubes and plain chocolate candy is irresistible. The scientific emperiment was lengthy and was difficult but I persevered.
Now I buy only fritos, chocolate bars with nuts, canned pop and hard candy.

weebleswobble
10-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Ha ha 3 musketeers ARE gross. :)

nooch
10-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I went to walmart last night and bought milky ways, twix, baby ruths, kit kats, and starburst. I had two of the milky ways after dinner tonight but I don't plan on touching anything else and I am going to be giving the stuff out by the handfuls if it looks like we will have leftovers.

And I won't eat it now because how embarrassing would it be to tell the kids that I ran out of candy because I cannot control myself?

I actually forgot it was there until I walked past it in my kitchen. So I put back what I was going to eat (ice cream - I do have dessert pretty often) and had the caloric equivalent in 2 milky way minis. I won't buy a whole milky way 'cause it's nearly 300 calories and I won't keep a bag of minis in my house normally though.

CountingDown
10-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I buy miniature Tootsie Roll Pops. They are about 16 calories each. Any leftover go to work, into the community "pool". I figure I can't do too much damage with a snack that takes 10 minutes to eat and has 16 calories :D

jendiet
10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
OOOH.. I am a chocolate lover, thankfully I love DARK chocolate more than anything--but some milk chocolate's are a temptation to me.

If you want chocolate, instead of candy bar--hot cocoa. I am sipping on some right now. I doctor mine with extra cocoa....to get the full chocolate effect. without sugar cocoa is mostly fat with little calories. Also if you HAVE to have chocolate you can chew. Sorry, I can't give it up. I keep Giardelli Dark chocolate pcs in the freezer. 18 pcs have 80 cs. Perfect substitution. The hot cocoa is VERY FILLING.

D22Guzman
10-31-2009, 12:40 AM
I have to have to be honest I did have a snack size snickers and a snack size bag of skittles followed by 5 individual candies called tamarind yes I fell guilty but have to say CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done I need a stronger will power I really tried...honestly I feel awful now...especially since I did also say that I was not going to have any coffee and creamers since i found out that each creamer carries 40 calories wow!! but fell of the wagon and had a cup with 3 creamers ugh....candy I love candy...but no no more I will stay away...are CORN NUTS as bad as CANDY itself?

petfresh
11-01-2009, 02:36 AM
My willpower went on a vacation on halloween. :(

I asked my father not to buy chips or chocolate bars, especially since we haven't had trick or treaters since we've moved here 6 years ago.

I ate like 6 mini kit kats and 4 mini bags of chips :\

And then when I woke up today, I had 4 mini kit kats and decided to just hide the rest in the freezer.

I can recover from this, but arrrgh I feel crappy about it :P

No snacks today for mee.

Jacquie668
11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Candy wise, I don't have an issue. I really dislike most of the candy out there, too sugary or just ew. I managed to have a few lollipops, you know those small ones, and meh...I'm all sugared out though as I had other treats like mini-cupcakes and I actually had cupcakes as well. The only reason I could eat them was they were not too sweet lol. First time ever it seems...

Luckily I'm in that group of people who love dark chocolate, so all that chocolate crap out there doesn't appeal to me anyhow. I used to love those peanut buttercups, but now I hate them lol. I'm too fussy about candy, even the lollipops weren't that great. Meh.

November is my "boot camp" month, so I can get back into balancing myself. I have a feeling a lot of us will be balancing ourselves this month lol.

blueberry3
11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree Tootsie rolls and 3 musketeers bars are good, the fitness article mentioned they're lower calorie so if you have to eat candy, they're def. a better choice! I ate a lot of starburst and definitely had a few cupcakes...but what can you do!

TMG2008
11-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I think it's easy to just say to use willpower and avoid the temptation but the fact is that if we all could do that we wouldn't be (or have been) overweight. If you have kids, you are going to have trick-or-treating candy in the house. The past few days have been bad for me as I have been having a few bite-size pieces of the Halloween candy several times a day. I know I probably won't lose any weight this week but I seem to have hit a month-long plateau anyway so I think that is why I am letting myself have the treats.

My point is that this is real life. In real life, there is going to be Halloween candy, and Christmas cookies, and big Thanksgiving dinners, and birthday cakes, and so much more. These things will be temptations year after year after year. My feeling is that if you are eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly, you can allow yourself these treats as they come through the year.

petra65
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't know if any of you have husbands but can you let the your husbands handle the candy. When I was a kid my parents rationed out the candy to us anyway or we would eat it until we made ourselves sick. I don't have kids which I suppose is a blessing but I did give out candy and I have leftovers. Something must be a little different for me this year/this time around because I am totally a sugar addict. I actually forgot about the candy. It was sitting on the buffet table by the front door for a couple days before I remembered it was there-normally it would be calling my name. I finally put it in a plastic bag to take to work last night. I'm not going to tell you its easy because I know its not but some of it has to do with where you are psychologically with this. I have come to terms with the fact that I can't eat sugar responsibly. Even when I do eat it I know I'm gonna be sorry. I'm not trying to be "preachy" I'm trying to help.

fattybobatty
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I had a hard time with the candy too. We took our son trick-or-treating, just to show off his costume to our neighbors- obviously he can't enjoy it quite yet (at 11 months old) so I knew it would be very tempting- it's not like a baby who can't talk is going to rat you out for stealing his treats!! LOL!

PLUS, he looked so darn cute that some people practically emptied their candy bowls into his bag! Great!!!

The good news is that I took everyone's advice and left the candy in the trunk of the car. I was going to bring it to work (although I would probably have still snacked on it there, so not the best plan) but the day after Halloween was very hot here and all the candy melted!! YAY!!!!! I threw it all away and I consider it a blessing in disguise!!!!

For those of you that want the leftover candy out of the house, but don't want to be wasteful- I have also heard that many places are collecting unwanted candy to send to the troops. Just an idea... a way to get the temptation out of the house, and also give something small to those that are serving our country.

I hope everyone was able to survive the Halloween madness! For me, I was up a pound this week, which is a bummer but I know the choices I made that let the scale go up. This week will be better!

Hang in there, everyone- in two months the holidays will be done! :)

time2lose
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
TMG2008 original posted My point is that this is real life. In real life, there is going to be Halloween candy, and Christmas cookies, and big Thanksgiving dinners, and birthday cakes, and so much more. These things will be temptations year after year after year. My feeling is that if you are eating healthy most of the time and exercising regularly, you can allow yourself these treats as they come through the year.

I used to think this way but after trying this for years, had to change my mind. I once calculated how many special occasions there are for me. Between all the standard holidays, my family's birthdays and anniversaries there were about 25. Letting myself have just a little candy and cakes can easily cancel out a whole week's worth of weight loss work so I could easily waste 25 weeks or worse. That does not even cover friends' birthdays or food at work or church occasions. I just can't afford calorie wise to let myself indulge every time there is a holiday or special occasion.

More power to those of you who can but I have to pick and choose carefully those occasions when I will let myself have a special treat.