General chatter - What is your favorite book series?

starfishkitty
10-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I know there's a "Whatcha readin" thread, but I'm curious as to what series out there people like. I'm a big fan of reading series... but they have to be good!

For me, it's:

all Anne Rice series
River God series, by Wilbur Smith
Kushiel's Dart series, by Jacqueline Carey
Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon
Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan
Black Jewels series, by Anne Bishop
Elemental Masters & Obsidian Mountain series, by Mercedes Lackey

And I could probably go on, but you know... :) I'll try and think of more!

Sheena41
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
The Twilight series by Stehpenie Meyer
The Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson
The Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn
The Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian
The Real Vampire series by Gerry Bartlett

Do you see a trend here? LOL

The Julia Quinn books are Regency romance books, and I like lots of other Regency authors

Chelby29
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum Series. I'm SO in love with Ranger! ;)

srmb60
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm on #17 of Ian Rankin's Detective Inspecter John Rebus series. This is the last one and I'm nearly heartbroken!

I'm very excited to read the next Sue Grafton "U" is out later this year, I believe.

starfishkitty
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Sheena.... just a bit of a trend. ;) But hey... read what you like! :)

Ever read any of Anne Rice's vampire series? I love 'em. :) Her characters were the original literary vampire bad boys!

Sheena41
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I have not read any of Anne Rice. I might have to try one.

CanadianCutie
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmmmm.

Let's see.

The Incarnation Series by Piers Anthony (still haven't read the last 3, but they are on my list
Harry Potter by J K Rowling read the final book in one sitting, took about 28 hours, had someone ruin the 5th one for me, so I didn't want to take any chances, avoided the internet until I was finished)

Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon read the first and loved it, have the second somewhere (moved and misplaced it)

Just started Dune about a week ago, I am really enjoying it; planning on reading the series, at least as far as the original author took it.

jelder227
10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Amanda -

Please feel free to go on - you just found me one new series that I wasn't aware had been written - TY!!

ctokarek
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charline Harris is amazing

theCandEs
10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Of course, I love the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series.

I just read the first Sookie Stackhouse book, so I will be going for more.

I've been out of the "reading for fun" loop for awhile. I was getting my English degree. ;)

murphmitch
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
The Number 1 Ladies' Detective series by Alexander McCall Smith are excellent. I have ordered the series on DVD from Netflix to watch. I loved all the Harry Potter books.

FrouFrou
10-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich
Alex Cross Series by James Patterson

Featherfire
10-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Anything by Karen Marie Moning!!!

I will also second the Wheel of Time and Obsidian Trilogy series and add Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey

On my more girlish romantic category book series listing, I've definitely got an addiction to Allyson James and Virginia Kantra novels!

TIARA
10-29-2009, 01:42 AM
This one is my favorate....The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson
The Twilight series by Stehpenie Meyer
Harry potter series by J.K. Rowling

you know you love to read when you can read a book over and over again and still be excited to read it one more time lol

lizziep
10-29-2009, 03:36 AM
The Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marrilier.
The Ender series by Orson Scott Card
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin - though the longer I have to wait the less of a fan of HIM i'm becoming... his series is amazing.

There are a few that aren't quite enough to be a series yet but I feel deserve a mention -
Patrick Rothfuss has a great start to a series with The Name of the Wind and Tad Williams Southmarch series - so far two books are out - is really really goodl.

I like my epic fantasy what can I say?!

heyaim
10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Don't really have a favorite series. But Kat Martin is my favorite author! I'm not reading anything currently, but have a few books waiting for me.

ANOther
10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
I like the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (and some of their other stuff too). Right now I'm reading The Wheel of Darkness (ETA 11.04 be warned, the body count goes up and up and it gets grisly!)

Wannabeskinny
10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Andrews
The Guenevere Novels - Rosalind Miles (Arthurian Legends)

CanadianCutie
10-29-2009, 08:45 PM
The Guenevere Novels - Rosalind Miles (Arthurian Legends)

ohhhhh I may just have to look into this series. I took a class on Arthurian Legend, I find it so interesting.

starfishkitty
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
CanadianCutie - You TOTALLY just reminded me of my love for Piers Anthony! I love, love, LOVED his Xanth series growing up! They cracked me up! I read a few of the incarnation series too... I might just need to go back and brush up on those! And yes, you SO need to go back and pick back up with Outlander. I got to the fifth book and stopped years ago, so I need to get back into and start over and finish up! :)

Jelder - Just curious... which one? :) I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Kushiel's Dart series if you like my taste.... am.az.ING.

Featherfire - I'm definitely putting the Valdemar series on my list!

Lizziep - If you like epic fantasy.... OMG... try out The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's amazing, seriously. I'm on book #7.

jules1216
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM

I LOVE Ranger too!!

paperclippy
10-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Since I see some other fantasy lovers on here I'll weigh in (and since I'm bored and there are only 10 minutes left before I can go home from work!).

Lynn Flewelling - Nightrunner Series, Tamir Triad
Sarah Monette - Doctrine of Labyrinths series (first book is called Melusine)
Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel series
Robin Hobb - she has a bunch of trilogies that kind of make up a series: Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man
Lane Robins - only two books so far but hopefully there will be more, there's no series name but the books are Maledicte and Kings and Assassins

I feel like I'm forgetting something important here. Hmmmm . . . Oh, I remember! Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is good, though I wouldn't call it one of my favorites.

and in the young adult/kid's world . . .
Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising Sequence
and of course Harry Potter.

When I was a kid I also loved Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles series and Diane Duane's Young Wizards series.

And, just to make a confession . . . My guilty pleasure is W.A. Hoffman's Raised by Wolves series. It's a self-published gay pirate romance series. :o You can get them off Amazon.

cormandy62442
10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm addicted to Teen Fiction -- I work at B&N and that's the section I'm in charge of. :)

Harry Potter -- J.K. Rowling
Twilight series -- Stephenie Meyer
House Of Night series -- P.C. and Kristin Cast
Percy Jackson series -- Rick Riordon
Morganville Vampires series -- Rachel Caine

I could so go on, but it gets tedious since most of them are about vampires! :D I just love reading, and getting other people hooked on my fave series!

theCandEs
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM
cormandy, Oh, I sooo want to work at B&N! How difficult is it to get a job there?

Clydegirl
10-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman.

Alex Cross series by James Patterson.

When I was growing up I loved Enid Blyton books especially The Famous Five. That was a long time ago.

Fressca
10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Another vote for the Alex Delaware series, although I think the earlier books were better.
Lincoln Rhyme series - Jeffrey Deaver
Poldark (this is an oldie!) - Winston Graham
The "Prey" series featuring Lucas Davenport - John Sandford

cormandy62442
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
cormandy, Oh, I sooo want to work at B&N! How difficult is it to get a job there?

Not hard at all. I got hired within a week of turning in my application. I absolutely love working there, it's the best job I've had to date! Oh, it's also easier to get hired on seasonally, right before x-mas. That's what I did (got hired this time 3 years ago) and it turned permanent after the holidays.

melbellrocks
10-31-2009, 05:43 PM
I am on book 8 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It's about vampires and some other supernatural beings, but mostly vampires.

I read all of the Left Behind series, could not put them down.

I have on my list of must-reads, the Harry Potter books, Wicked and the ones that follow (I loved Maguire's telling of the Cinderella story), and I want to read the first of Christine Feehan's Dark Series because a friend at work LOVES her and everything she publishes. Man. Good thing I bought that eReader so I can read on the treadmill easier...looks like I have a lot to read!

BellaDiva
10-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler

starfishkitty
11-01-2009, 11:14 AM
And, just to make a confession . . . My guilty pleasure is W.A. Hoffman's Raised by Wolves series. It's a self-published gay pirate romance series. :o You can get them off Amazon.

Now THAT is a sentence I don't think I'll ever see again elsewhere.... :rofl:

Hey, to each their own! :) ;) Sounds interesting, for sure! :)

Deana
11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (HBO show True Blood are based on the books)

theCandEs
11-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Not hard at all. I got hired within a week of turning in my application. I absolutely love working there, it's the best job I've had to date! Oh, it's also easier to get hired on seasonally, right before x-mas. That's what I did (got hired this time 3 years ago) and it turned permanent after the holidays.

Thanks so much for responding! I printed off an application online and I will turn it in this week.

Cross your fingers for me. :)

Windchime
11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
The series I keep going back to are the books by James Herriot. "All Creatures Great and Small", "All Things Wise and Wonderful", etc. It's about a young man who was a veterinarian in the Yorkshire dales in the 1930's and the stories always make me laugh. It's very feel-good and funny.

I also went through a phase where I read anything by Tom Clancy. Hmmmm. Reading this thread makes me realize that I don't read books as much as I used to!

Kimphin
11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris -
Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich (sorry girls - I'm part of team Morelli, not Ranger)
Prey Books - John Sanford
In Death books - JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts)
Troubleshooters series by Suzanne Brockmann (hmmm - hot Navy SEALS? sign me up!)

Smiling_Sara
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

I like this series too!

starfishkitty
11-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Oh oh!

I forgot to mention Anne Rice's Mayfair series, and Anne McCaffrey's Pern series and mini-serie...es.... lol

Seems like we have a lot of horror and fantasy fans here! That's awesome! Now I don't feel so alone... :) :book2: :D

jelder227
11-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Jelder - Just curious... which one? :) I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Kushiel's Dart series if you like my taste.... am.az.ING.

I'll check that one out - Since you started this thread I've already just about finished Lackey's Obsidian trilogy (2/3 of the way through the last one). I read WAY too much.

I've loved the Valdemar series for years - definitely follow up on those!

I'm pretty much omnivorous - fantasy, sci/fi, crime fiction, romance - everything but horror.

And cormandy - I've really gotten pretty hooked on some of the teen fiction the last few years. Eragon was great, and I really like the House of Night series as well. Not a big vampire fan, but those were awesome!

I could NEVER work at B&N though - I need a paycheck! If I worked there, I'd never see it.

FitGirlyGirl
11-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Ever read any of Anne Rice's vampire series? I love 'em. :) Her characters were the original literary vampire bad boys!

I am an Anne Rice fan for sure, but still, I beg to differ. The original literary vampire bad boy is Dracula. You can prefer Anne Rice if you like, but Dracula definitely came first and was way more "bad boy".

As for the question of the thread:
McCaffrey's Acorna and Pern
Gabaldon's Outlander
Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear
Erin Hunter's Warriors (adolescent, but I love it)
Anne Rice
Narnia
Lord of the Rings
The Hannibal series from Thomas Harris
Stephanie Meyer's Twilight
King's Dark Tower
Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse
Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events (yes, more adolescent stuff)
Pratchett
Asprin's M.Y.T.H. - including M.Y.T.H. Inc. (sub-series ish thing)
Harry Potter
Randi Reisfeld's T-Witches (adolescent)

I know I have more, but I'll stop there

OnceUponADrive
11-08-2009, 03:11 AM
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series, Harry Potter, Twilight, the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz, and the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini (still waiting for the 4th book to come out).

MathGirl87
11-08-2009, 03:42 AM
Harry Potter...I read them every winter break when I am out of school for something to do! I'm such a dork!

Sweet Sissy
11-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I can't believe no one's brought up the Hunger Games books! I'm completely hooked!

sweetandspicy
11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

The womens murder club by James Patterson

The sisterhood series by Fern Michaels.

HannahBoo23
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I would like to read Anne Rice.. That's going to be on my, "Must Read" list! Lol.. I'm currently reading the P.C Cast series.. :) It's really good..

techwife
12-04-2009, 06:00 PM
My FAVORITE is Harry Potter. Hands down. I liked the Twilight series and I love the Blossom Culp series by Richard Peck. Lord of the Rings was also great, but my favorite in the series was the Hobbit.

helwa588
12-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Lord of the Rings! Not only favorite book trilogy but favorite movie trilogy as well.

DixieAmazon
12-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

lizziep
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
i tried to get into the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series- so many times but i just CAN'T i don't know what it is. Maybe i'm just stubborn because hubby's been pestering me to read it for a decade now.

I also love harry potter. And for other kids books- I must say that when I was a kid I was a Baby Sitters Club addict! I have over 100 of those books!

I've always wondering about the Kushiel's series... I see them next to Orson Scott Cards books every time I'll shopping and they always draw my eye- but not quite enough for a purchase.