Weight Loss Support - how powerful of a role does your "mind" play in your weightloss journey?

angieaang
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I have yo-yo dieting for many many years, always losing weight thinking I had found "the key" to keeping it off. I never found the right key. Now I believe, in this final weight loss journey (this time....it's the real deal...and I'll tell you why), I have found that key. I have never felt more powerful and in control in all the other weight loss journeys as I do this time around. This time, I actually "BELIEVE" in myself. I claimed my victory from day one and now it's just a matter of doing what I believe (in my mind) will happen to get those results. When I wake up, I tell myself "I will have a great day on plan." And I believe that I will make the right choices for my body, and I follow suit. It's like....I start my day off believing that I will do the things I set out to do and it creates great motivation and desire to acheive it. I accept ahead of time that things may not go according to plan all the time but I will make the best decisions possible in those given circumstances. I am noticing that the choices that I make on a daily basis to be healthier are following my mind's desire to be that healthy person. My mind keeps me in line. It helps keep me in control. It is my control. But I had to start with believing in myself. Truly believing that I could acheive my goal. My mind truly believes that I can, and even though I haven't reached goal yet, I KNOW that I will.

How powerful of a role has your mind/positive thinking played in your weight loss journey? I've always heard that "the mind is extremely powerful". I'm seeing that now.

Sailorlal
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Great post, ang! I would add that one of the most important "mind" things I'm learning is to dismiss all or nothing thinking. We don't have to be perfect to achieve weight loss, and one mistake doesn't mean we need to throw our efforts away!

JulieJ08
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I do know that when I started losing weight and being healthier, it was because I decided to, not because I was "hoping" it would work this time. I knew this was it. Now, how that moment happened, I do not know!

KaCee J
10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree 100% with you! I think the "magic key" to losing weight, is believing, knowing that you can do it. Every diet I have been on for the past approx 5 years has seriously not made it past about a week. Sad, I know. This time around I committed to it mentally. I decided it was going to work, I was going to do it. Well I'm over 2 weeks in, so I broke my own record already, LOL. There's a quote I like, something to the effect of "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right" Truth.
Excellent job on your success, your ticker is rockin right along!! :cp:

taylor
10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
i think mindset is really important. but so are behaviors. i do notice that when my mind isn't in the right place, i still force healthy behavior (eating OP and exercising) my mood and mindset will perk right up.

i've never felt worse for having stayed on plan and worked out. ever. but i always feel worse when i eat something crappy and skip working out. always.

cfmama
10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
A HUGE HUGE HUGE roll. I decided when I started losing weight that this was the LAST TIME. That I WOULD do this come **** or high water. That it might SUCK (but really it has not) but I would stick to it. And I did...

and that was 13 months ago. And I have lost 157 pounds... so yes I think your mind has a lot to do with it IF you connect your thoughts to your actions ;)

carter
10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
The mind is all there is. Not being mindful is how I got fat. Being mindful is the only way to undo that.

angieaang
10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Great post, ang! I would add that one of the most important "mind" things I'm learning is to dismiss all or nothing thinking. We don't have to be perfect to achieve weight loss, and one mistake doesn't mean we need to throw our efforts away!

I cannot express how true this is. This was my biggest downfall. When I had a bad day, I had a bad week or month because I let that one bad day rule. I had to accept that there will be not-so-good days throughout the journey but that I must pick myself up and contine on. I actually had to acknowledge this before I started and tell myself how I would handle it, so that if that day ever came, I would recognize it as such and move on. I've had slips along the way, but they have not lasted long and I kept moving. That's record breaking for me. I agree with you 1,000%!

Kae
10-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Good point... The mind is very powerful.

I was just thinking about this earlier today... I realized not losing weight isn't even an option for me this time around. I will do it... it's just a matter of time.

ICUwishing
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I yoyo'd for at least the last dozen years, tried all the magic diet teas, and the pills, and the programs, and the shakes. All I lost was a heck of a lot of money. I signed up here a little over a year ago and lurked for almost four months before the lightbulb truly came on - this is my life, and I was going to own it. Real chicks had done it, were doing it, and I was out of excuses. :)

angieaang
10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I agree 100% with you! I think the "magic key" to losing weight, is believing, knowing that you can do it. Every diet I have been on for the past approx 5 years has seriously not made it past about a week. Sad, I know. This time around I committed to it mentally. I decided it was going to work, I was going to do it. Well I'm over 2 weeks in, so I broke my own record already, LOL. There's a quote I like, something to the effect of "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right" Truth.
Excellent job on your success, your ticker is rockin right along!! :cp:

Another POWERFUL POWERFUL statement! That is the gospel!! LOL! That mental commitment makes all the difference in the world! And thanks for the acknowledgement! I am cruising and I WILL get there and STAY there! I BELIEVE it! :)

Teachyrchildren
10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Definitely all about the mindset for me. This time I went into it not thinking "diet", but thinking "being healthy." Not just for a few weeks, but for the rest of my life. Eight months later I've lost close to 60 pounds, feel amazing, and have no regrets for saying "no" to the behaviors that got me fat. No going back. Once my mind went to that place, my body just followed.

JustBeckyV
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree as well. My mind set this time around is completely different. I am thinking of this as a complete life change - not a diet not something new I am just giving it a try to see if it works. It is working and it's a part of my life now.

angieaang
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
i think mindset is really important. but so are behaviors. i do notice that when my mind isn't in the right place, i still force healthy behavior (eating OP and exercising) my mood and mindset will perk right up.

i've never felt worse for having stayed on plan and worked out. ever. but i always feel worse when i eat something crappy and skip working out. always.

I think this is very true also. Sometimes around TOM, I'll have a day scheduled to work out but I won't feel like doing it, but I'll do it anyways and feel better that I did.

angieaang
10-28-2009, 04:09 PM
A HUGE HUGE HUGE roll. I decided when I started losing weight that this was the LAST TIME. That I WOULD do this come **** or high water. That it might SUCK (but really it has not) but I would stick to it. And I did...

and that was 13 months ago. And I have lost 157 pounds... so yes I think your mind has a lot to do with it IF you connect your thoughts to your actions ;)

WOOOOOOW! Now THAT'S power! Congratulations on that AMAZING loss!!!

rockinrobin
10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
No ifs ands or buts about it. So I think it's largely in the mind. I don't know, let's take a number - 99.99999% so.

People ask me all the time how I lost so much weight and I tell them - that I DECIDED to. That was it. Upon making the decision and the ensuing commitment - it was a done deal. There was no question in my mind that I would do it. None. Zero. Zippo. Nada. Zilch. I decided to do it, and therefore was WILLING to do whatever healthy measures it took - forever. Because I'd made up my mind.

Once you clearly define what you want, you then takes steps to ensure that it happens - no matter what. Your choices become clearer. You gladly give up the "bad" stuff in exchange for the "good" stuff. Because the "bad" stuff doesn't get you to your goals and it is no longer as appealing. And even if it is, initially at least, it doesn't make a difference. You've DECIDED and COMMIT ED to do this and therefore you do it.

At least that's how it worked in my mind.

Not sure why it took me 20+ years to come to that decision, that conclusion, but that's another whole thread....

Arctic Mama
10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
The mind is crucial - deciding on and committing to a plan of action is the difference between successful loss versus stagnation or regain. I also agree that not having an all-or-nothing attitude about it will save so much grief! I haven't been losing like crazy lately because I have been over my daily calories by a bit. I'm not gaining, and still losing, just more slowly.

Does that mean I am failing at weight loss, because it is slower than two pounds per week or with a few calorie-heavy events? Of course not! If anything, being able to hang around a weight and not be as vigilent without regain catastrophe and spiralling out of control is my BIGGEST victory to date!

Understanding, implicitly from the start, that this is all a journey that encompasses the rest of my life, helps keep me from putting unreasonable constraints on myself for the time it takes to lose or some of the choices I make.

Realizing that I am making progress, slow and steady, and WINNING this fight agains obesity every good choice I make, as well as the fact that NO bad choice is undoable... This has all gone such a long way to helping me put weight loss, management, and general health into the proper perspective.

It's mostly a mental game. Get your priorities and commitments in the right place, and the healthy choices easily follow.

Do I have room for improvement? Heck yes! I have been bad about my exercise the past month, which is contributing to the slow loss. But I have every day to improve upon that and sometimes life just requires a narrowed focus. But I am still 40-ish pounds and 8 months improved upon where I was in the spring, and that really counts for something.

mom4life
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Good point... The mind is very powerful.

I was just thinking about this earlier today... I realized not losing weight isn't even an option for me this time around. I will do it... it's just a matter of time.

exactly! when I plateau my husband worries, thinking I might quit but I keep telling him that there isn't any other option but to keep going. I can't lose all this weight to only give up and go back to being obese again. I started this I have to finish it. I have only myself to blame for gaining all the wait and I am the only person I can count on to get it off. Who do I blame if I quit now.....me.

PammyFl
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Your mind plays a HUGE roll in your weight loss. I have lost weight before and just gained it all back but until I actually set my MIND to actually stick to it and see it as a lifetime instead of a "quick fix"

glynne
10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
There are so many helpful positive statements here. I think I need to read this thread over and over again. I wish I could figure out how to get myself to the mindset you all have :?:

I have been struggling with the weight for years (my whole adult life) and have yet to have "the light bulb" come on or my moment where it "clicks" for me. Just kind of feeling lost. Tired of feeling crummy ~ want to feel better.

angieaang
10-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Gayle,

You've lost 30 pounds already on your journey and you should be very proud of yourself! That's a great accomplishment!!

When you talk about the light bulb moment, sometimes I think it doesn't really happen like that. As I read the posts of these ladies, I feel there's a strong conviction to set out and accomplish a goal. From almost every poster, I get a sense that a strong desire exists. First you have to understand what you want out of this journey. Then you have to decide how badly you want it. If that desire doesn't burn strong enough, then it may not give you the right fuel/motivation to stay persistent and accomplish your goal. You must lay the foundation first. That foundation must be sturdy. You have to have something to stand on. I believe you lay that foundation with your mind. Make it up. Decide. Then proceed.

rockinrobin
10-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Gayle,
As I read the posts of these ladies, I feel there's a strong conviction to set out and accomplish a goal. From almost every poster, I get a sense that a strong desire exists. First you have to understand what you want out of this journey. Then you have to decide how badly you want it. If that desire doesn't burn strong enough, then it may not give you the right fuel/motivation to stay persistent and accomplish your goal. You must lay the foundation first. That foundation must be sturdy. You have to have something to stand on. I believe you lay that foundation with your mind. Make it up. Decide. Then proceed.

It's not that I was going to give it another try and *hope* for the best. It's not that I was going to give it another shot this time and *see* if it works - oh no. It was that I was going to MAKE it work this time. NO. MATTER. WHAT. That was it. My mind was made up BEFORE. It wasn't a matter of hoping. It was a matter of DOING. I was going out on a limb. I was doing whatever was necessary. I was willing to do whatever it took. I didn't make it an option to NOT lose the weight. I WAS GOING TO DO IT. NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.

But I have heard of other people who did take it to goal who didn't start out "as" certain. There is that fake it till you make it mentality that does work for some.